State Focus SA 2020 - U18 Game Notes and Draft Rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've been following the draft pretty extensively the last 5-6 years but this is the first time I've been able to dedicate time to get to more than a handful U18 games live so I thought I'd just share my game notes.

Norwood 16.13 109 def Woodville West Torrens 10.10 70

Caleb Poulter (Woodville West Torrens)
I was immediately impressed with Poulter's size. He looks every bit of 190cm and started the game in the midfield before resting forward. He's still pretty raw and his football has a bit of a way to come but his numbers continue to impress. With the game in the balance at the start of the 4th quarter and Schofield off the field injured I was really excited to see what Poulter was going to do in the middle of the ground. Instead, Poulter lined up at half forward and didn't get a look inside the centre square until 15 minutes had ticked over and the game was gone. I'm not sure of the reasoning, whether it was purely a coaching decision or had something to do with his tank but I really would've liked to see him be given more of an opportunity to take over with the game on the line.

Poulter has a long left foot kick which was on display when he kicked truly from outside 50m. I would've liked to see him have more influence in the air, although he did take a nice mark inside 50 in the third. I think given where his football is at right now it's best for his draft stock to continue to play at U18 level as I fear playing reserves footy (and even U18 Champs) might expose some of the gaps in his game at the moment. I think his numbers at this stage are more indicative of the level he's playing at rather than how advanced his footy is but I don't see any reasons physically why his footy can't improve to give him a shot at the next level.

Taj Schofield (Woodville West Torrens)
Schofield pretty much showed exactly what I was expecting of him. He's just a good all-round footballer at U18 level. He's very small and not overly quick but his football ability is a fair way ahead of most of the others that played in this game. He's a pretty solid user by hand and foot, he tackles well and seems to read the play pretty well too as he showed a bit of forward craft to hit the scoreboard. Unfortunately he limped off in the third with what appeared to be an ankle injury and did not return.

I feel like Schofield really needed a big U18 carnival to solidify his draft stock and who knows if he gets that opportunity. With my small sample size I don't see him being taken in the National Draft with his best chance as a rookie selection.

Cooper Murley (Norwood)
Murley got off to a great start when he kicked the first goal of the game for Norwood. His use by foot was pretty classy all game and he hit some nice kicks at full speed bursting away from stoppage. He rotated between midfield and half forward and I felt like he was always a scoring threat at inside 50 stoppages. He's very slight but he's a very fundamentally sound footballer that hits the scoreboard. He would've been close to Norwood's best on the day.

Jack Saunders (Norwood)
I really like Saunders game. He has a good blend of strength and class that really stands out at U18 level. He started in the midfield lining up on Poulter who I think he beat early before Poulter started to work himself into the contest. He was strong on the inside, showing an ability to win the footy himself and explode out of the stoppage but also tackle strongly when he was second to it. What I also enjoyed was his ability to go to half back and win the footy on the outside. He really took it upon himself to hit tough kicks, some of which didn't come off, but showed enough to give the impression he's capable of being one of Norwood's primary users. His versatility on the inside and outside really impressed me. He looked a capable type at reserves level and I'd like to see him get a game or two at that level before the end of the year.

Finn Heard
Heard showed such a clean pair of hands leading out from full forward. The use to him was pretty good all day but he took everything with one touch and timed his leads really well. He kicked 5.4 but could have easily had 6 or 7 after missing a few very kickable shots early. Maybe one who has benefited from being more developed than others his age but there was no denying his clean hands. He certainly didn't waste the good use from his teammates and made sure to convert their ball movement into scoring opportunities.

Others that impressed me were Jase Burgoyne (Woodville West Torrens) who spent most of the day at half back. He halved contests in the air and found plenty of it at half back, consistently using it well by foot. Michael Cavallaro (Norwood) found a fair bit of it and was pretty composed by hand and foot. He seemed to play within himself and never tried to bite off more than he could chew. I suspect he'll play a fair bit of reserves and league footy for Norwood if he sticks at it. I really liked what Nathan Hearing (Norwood) did in the ruck for Norwood. He lead them in clearances and had a bit of influence around the ground as well.

Although most of SA's best draft chances are playing reserves and league football there was still some good talent to watch in the U18's. The plan is to get to as much of the U18/Reserves/League footy as I can so I'll try and share my notes as often as possible.

Last edited:
I've been following the draft pretty extensively the last 5-6 years but this is the first time I've been able to dedicate time to get to more than a handful U18 games live so I thought I'd just share my game notes.

Norwood 16.13 109 def Woodville West Torrens 10.10 70

I was immediately impressed with Poulter's size. He looks every bit of 190cm and started the game in the midfield before resting forward. He's still pretty raw and his football has a bit of a way to come but his numbers continue to impress. With the game in the balance at the start of the 4th quarter and Schofield off the field injured I was really excited to see what Poulter was going to do in the middle of the ground. Instead, Poulter lined up at half forward and didn't get a look inside the centre square until 15 minutes had ticked over and the game was gone. I'm not sure of the reasoning, whether it was purely a coaching decision or had something to do with his tank but I really would've liked to see him be given more of an opportunity to take over with the game on the line.

Poulter has a long left foot kick which was on display when he kicked truly from outside 50m. I would've liked to see him have more influence in the air, although he did take a nice mark inside 50 in the third. I think given where his football is at right now it's best for his draft stock to continue to play at U18 level as I fear playing reserves footy (and even U18 Champs) might expose some of the gaps in his game at the moment. I think his numbers at this stage are more indicative of the level he's playing at rather than how advanced his footy is but I don't see any reasons physically why his footy can't improve to give him a shot at the next level.

Taj Schofield (Woodville West Torrens)
Schofield pretty much showed exactly what I was expecting of him. He's just a good all-round footballer at U18 level. He's very small and not overly quick but his football ability is a fair way ahead of most of the others that played in this game. He's a pretty solid user by hand and foot, he tackles well and seems to read the play pretty well too as he showed a bit of forward craft to hit the scoreboard. Unfortunately he limped off in the third with what appeared to be an ankle injury and did not return.

I feel like Schofield really needed a big U18 carnival to solidify his draft stock and who knows if he gets that opportunity. With my small sample size I don't see him being taken in the National Draft with his best chance as a rookie selection.

Cooper Murley (Norwood)
Jase Burgoyne (Woodville West Torrens)

Burgoyne did some nice things off half-back. He found plenty of it and I felt like he used it quite well. He's very sl

Jase Burgoyne is 185cm (son of Peter) and is 17 and is eligible for F/S for the Power in 2021.
Taj Schofield is F/S for 2020.

Thanx for the information on u18 sanfl footy, appreciate you giving us some insight into the players and their form.
Thanks mate, the more content the better I reckon!

Cal Twomey wrote this article published on the AFL website today. Seems like Poulter is starting to turn some heads interstate too.

I went out to watch Sturt vs South Adelaide on Saturday morning. It was a really enjoyable game with South leading from the first bounce before Sturt snatched the lead for the first time in the dying seconds to win.

Sturt 11.9 75 def South 11.3 69

Jason Horne (South)
I was really impressed with Horne's stoppage craft. He was consistently on the move and sharked a lot of hitouts and loose balls in the middle of the ground. He has reasonable size and strength which compliments his ability to read where the ball is going and then win it. Horne puts a lot of pressure on his opponent to go with him at stoppage and really hurt the opposition when they weren't accountable. I was also a big fan of his aerial ability. He flew for a a couple of really nice marks to intercept play and also as a chop-out down the line. When Sturt were coming in the last, Horne played a lone hand in trying to save the game and almost did in the last two minutes where he won the ball at half back and through sheer will pushed it all the way up the wing to half forward with about four or five separate efforts. Horne won't be eligible until the 2021 draft but he's as good as any playing U18 football at the moment.

Matthew Roberts (South)
Another bottom-ager who was instrumental in building South's early lead. Roberts kicked the first two goals of the game in about the first two minutes to break the game wide open early. His ability to read the play was first class and his front and centre work was elite for a kid his age. Roberts was a real physical presence who added a touch of class through the midfield and forward of centre. I see him as a 80-85% forward/15-20% midfield as he rises to the next level. He's not going to wow you with his athleticism or ground coverage but he's going to find a way to influence the contest whether it be by winning clean possession or pushing it forward to the advantage of a teammate. With South trapped inside their defensive 50 for most of the last quarter, Roberts didn't have the influence he would've liked to from half forward but his first 3 quarters were as good as anyone else on the field.

Tom Powell (Sturt)
Powell won a heap of the footy again and is proving to be one of the most prolific (if not the most) ball winners in the U18 competition this year. I hate to mention AFL comparisons, especially guys as good as this, but there are alot of similarities between Powell's game and Adam Treloar. Powell is an elite accumulator with quick hands in tight. He's not a poor user by foot but he's more likely to opt for the long down the line option rather than try and hit a shorter, more dangerous kick. He shares a similar frame to Treloar and while they both probably don't have a heap of hurt with each individual possession they both just win so much of it that they're impossible to ignore. I would love to see Powell play some reserves footy soon to see if his ball-winning ability can translate to the next level.

Morgan Ferres (Sturt)
Ferres was incredibly impressive and his contested marking in the second half really turned the game in Sturt's favour. He flew for everything and managed to hold most of what he got his hands to, finishing with 10 marks and 6 contested. He converted well too, finishing with 5.3 including the winning goal with less than 10 seconds remaining. Ferres was probably best on ground, a constant threat for four quarters with a really dominant second half display.

Mani Liddy (Sturt)
Liddy played predominantly through the midfield and found a fair bit of it himself. He's probably the number 1 hit to target in the midfield with Sturt relying on him to win the clearances and get the ball out to other options on the outside. Another who's probably better by hand than foot, he's a bit more bash and crash than Powell and uses it to his advantage to either get his hands on the footy first or follow up with a big tackle.

Others that impressed me were Zac Becker (Sturt) who almost single-handedly stemmed the bleeding in the first half, intercepting a lot of South's forward 50 entries when they were coming with a fair bit of heat early. Malachy Carruthers (Sturt) had some courageous moments in the first half and showed some speed from half back and on the wing. Phoenix Spicer (South) showed some pace and flair that is always exciting to see. He's got the tools to perform an in-demand role at higher levels. Other AFL Academy SA Hub members Nick Kraemer and Arlo Draper probably didn't have the influence they would've liked to have.

I was hoping to get in to see Jackson Edwards play in the Glenelg reserves but when that fell through I decided to head out to Richmond Oval to see West vs South in the U18's. This game lacked the depth of talent compared to most of the U18 football that I'd seen this year, partly because West are the least talented side by a fair margin and were missing Jye Sinderberry too which didn't help matters. South were also undermanned with Matthew Roberts and Nick Kraemer (injured?) not playing.

West 5.12 42 def by South 12.16 88

Jason Horne (South)
I was pretty high on Horne after seeing him last week but this week just blew me away completely. I think if he was eligible for the draft this year he'd find his way onto an AFL list and I'd say he's an early candidate to be a first round pick in 2021. He just has no clear weaknesses that are exposed at U18 level. I'd like to see him get some burn in the reserves at some point this season just to get a small taste in preparation for next year, although I'd hope that he'd get the chance to play finals footy at U18 level because I sense he's the type that finds that little bit extra in big games. I'm not sure if it'll go ahead this year but I'd be penciling him in for the Futures U17's game on AFL Grand Final day and I'd expect him to be a standout there.

Horne just has all the tools you want to see in a modern-day midfielder. He has the physical profile; good size and strength, a great athlete with a good burst of speed from stoppage and the leap to compete in the air and take contested marks. He's gifted forward of centre but also reads the play well defensively, showing the ability to intercept mark and quickly turn defence into attack. He is a very good ball user and makes great decisions with ball in hand. He's rarely satisfied with the long kick down the line to a contest and instead uses shorter, smarter kicks to open teammates in the middle of the ground to allow his team to maintain possession and launch from more attacking positions. Not only does he show the presence of mind to make those kicks, he trusts his ball use and hits them every time.

I'm just so impressed with the completeness of his game and the manner in which he plays it. In an era where so much weight is put into the accumulation of possessions rather than their impact, Horne bucks the trend, valuing every possession he wins and never hesitating to use that first give to a player in a better position or to settle and make a good decision. He rarely, if ever, blazes away. He was a leader in the U16 system and is clearly already a leader at U18 level, even as a bottom-ager.

Horne's numbers were huge on the weekend but they still don't do his performance justice. He had 31 possessions and used it really efficiently, rarely missing a target. He had 11 marks with plenty contested and a number of intercepts. His 3 goals included the first for the game from a nice set-play at stoppage inside forward 50 and an incredible solo effort in the 3rd quarter where he showed candy about 3 times and evaded a number of tackles before kicking truly from 40m out. Admittedly, West were a bit devoid of talent but Horne showed his class for four quarters, with about 90% TOG, he never failed to hit a kick, fly for marks or run defensively. It was just a performance that left you feeling like you'd seen all you need to of Jason Horne to know he was going to be a pretty special player.

Bailey Chamberlain (West)
I was really excited to see Chamberlain for the first time and I think I got a fair view of his game. Chamberlain won plenty of it through the midfield as evidenced by his game-high 35 disposals, most of which were in tight around the contest. I'm quite wary of assessing him too harshly given that he doesn't have the talent around him that most of the other SA Academy kids have. It's hard to tell whether the gaps in his game are a result of him playing in a poor side or at the very least more obvious because he doesn't have many good kids around him. Chamberlain didn't win much of the ball on the spread although West struggled to maintain possession by consistently hitting targets by foot. He won plenty of it inside and around the contest and showed some burst and composure to take the ball away from stoppage but his kicks rarely found targets and were often found looking for distance rather than a teammate. With that being said, he was pretty devoid of options forward of centre so it's tough to criticise. I always felt that the only way West could make a game of it is by sheer weight of forward entries and pressure as I felt they probably lacked the composure by foot and forward options to make the most of their opportunities. At this stage I don't think I'd have Chamberlain in South Australia's best 22 for a (probably hypothetical) Under 18 carnival.

I really liked the game of Brayden Cook (South) who was impressive in the air, showed a bit of toe and kicked a couple of goals from wing/half forward. Liam Hamilton (South) found plenty of it and Nicholas Couroupis (West) was one of the Bloods' best. Ultimately though it was the Jason Horne show and it was a pleasure to watch him play.

I was back at Richmond Oval on Saturday to see some SANFL League footy.

West 8.9 57 def by Norwood 19.10 124

Riley Thilthorpe (West)
With West's number 1 ruckman out with injury, Thilthorpe took over as the lead ruck, a tough task coming up against one of the SANFL's premier rucks in Sam Baulderstone. He was relatively competitive and demonstrated that he's capable of pinch-hitting in the ruck at the next level. I still think he's probably going to be more of a key forward in the Tom Lynch/Ben Brown mould rather than a genuine forward/second ruck option. Nevertheless, he moved really well around the ground which is a skill of Thilthorpe's that has been quite well recognised. His follow-up from the ruck is more as a receiver than a ball winner but he showed that he can link up in the chain and push forward, often creating separation from the opposing ruck. He's a really smooth runner and although I don't think his TOG was super high, he looks capable of developing an above AFL standard tank for his position (as a forward). He certainly showed some endeavour to push forward from stoppage but didn't really impact the game defensively, never choosing to play a kick behind the play or to sit in the hole as a defensive interceptor. This could have been purely coaching instruction though so I'm not suggesting he doesn't have this in his game.

Thilthorpe took some nice marks around the ground, including two contested that were taken from him due to other teammates indiscretions. He looked pretty competent by hand and foot for a player his size, and bar maybe one passage of play, seemed to be pretty comfortable with the level and speed of the game. It was a pretty tough game to judge Thilthorpe on given that Norwood's midfield boasts the likes of ex-AFL listed players Richard Douglas, Mitch Grigg, Ryan Bastinac and Matthew Panos who combined for 123 disposals and 11 goals between them.
I really pity this draft as unfortunately they've got to follow what is looking like an absolute super draft in 2018 and a really quality draft in 2019 headlined by one of the most advanced draftees we've ever seen in Rowell. I don't feel that this draft has the top end talent nor the depth of the last two drafts and unfortunately I feel fans will be expecting/hoping kids like Thilthorpe are going to be able to do what Ben and Max King have done early in their careers.

I think he's going to take some time at the next level and I don't see him coming in and having a big impact immediately. He'll show enough signs early but like most key position guys he's going to take some time to develop. I think his best footy is going to be up forward, either using his size and speed out of the square or his running ability as a high CHF. We're always looking for AFL comparisons (which I always hate) but I feel like he's probably somewhere between that Ben Brown and Tom Lynch (at Richmond) level player. Whilst that doesn't scream superstar, I think any club picking that in the top 5-10 would be very pleased.

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to stick around and see the U18's play after the League side but I did get the opportunity to re-watch the 2019 U17 Futures game so I will share my notes on some of the draft prospects from that game later this week.

It was a nice triple header for me on Saturday getting to see some U18, Reserves and League footy. It was a 9am start down at Prospect to see North v Sturt in the U18's, then out to Elizabeth to see Centrals v Glenelg in Reserves and League.

North 10.9 69 def by Sturt 12.6 78

Tariek Newchurch (North)
Newchurch has the physical profile that would seemingly translate to AFL level. He's a relatively good size for a high half-forward, has good speed and a good leap. His football is not there for me just yet. This is not to suggest that he won't get there, but I feel like he's 4-5 years away from being in the conversation about whether he's ready for AFL footy. The question from there is what does AFL-ready look like for Newchurch. I'm envisioning a player who has the physical tools and profile of a Ben Davis and it will be up to the Crows development staff (I'm guessing given he's eligible through the NGA) to get his football to AFL standard.

He's a high half forward who can consistently beat his opponent at U18 level on the lead. He has moments inside 50 where he looks dangerous, either crumbing or at stoppage. His skill execution is what tends to let him down at this stage. His delivery inside forward 50 doesn't consistently hit targets enough and you'd probably like to see him finish more of his opportunities around goal. His physical profile allows him to win contests at U18 level but it wouldn't be such a strength at Reserves or League level at this stage.

I by no means want to bury this kid. It's amazing what being in a professional system and footy program can do for some kids and I do feel like that's what he needs to reach his potential. Based only on what I've seen, I'd have him as an outside rookie chance and that's probably on the assumption that list sizes stay the same. I'll definitely be out to see more of Newchurch over the coming weeks.

Interestingly, I did notice a player manager having a conversation with his family throughout the game. This is entirely speculation but I do wonder whether the Crows would've provided some assurance that they'll at the very least nominate him for the rookie draft. This would guarantee that he would find his way onto a list next year. I'll be interested to see how this one plays out.

Tom Powell (Sturt)
It's pretty crazy to think that this was one of Powell's quieter games and he still had 27 disposals and 10 clearances. The kid just accumulates at an elite level. He actually had a fair bit of attention after quarter time which probably curbed his influence through the second and third but when the game was on the line in the fourth, he still found a way to have an influence, particularly around stoppage. His ability to win the footy in tight and have cleans hands to get it to the outside, either directly to a teammate or forward to a teammates' advantage is elite and is a skill that I see really transferable to AFL level. I've mentioned that he has a similar game to Treloar, and Clayton Oliver is probably another who Powell shares similar attributes with. I don't make these comparisons lightly, obviously these guys are stars of the game but I think there's enough similarities to show that if/when Powell gets into the AFL system he's got the qualities to be successful at the level.

Sturt are pretty strong at Reserves level but I would like to see Powell make the jump and get some exposure against some bigger, stronger midfielders. At this stage I've definitely got Powell in my top 40.

Jamison Murphy (North)
Murphy played across half back and just showed some real strength and class. He's a good decision maker and good user of the footy and looks like the type that could have a good career at SANFL level. He's a real natural footballer who reads the game well and has the strength to influence contests when it's his turn to go. His physical make-up probably hurts his chances at AFL level but his skill level should see him play some League footy if he sticks at it. Unfortunately he went down with an injury on the 3/4 time siren and seemed to be a bit distressed. North really missed his leadership in the back half in the last quarter as Sturt ran over the top of them.

Others that impressed me were Matthew Borg (North) who seemed to follow round Tom Powell for patches. His contest work was good and he tackled really well. His physicality was good to watch. Mani Liddy (Sturt) was really good again this week and won more than his fair share again. Sometimes he doesn't quite hurt the opposition by foot as much as you'd like but you can't fault his effort and ball-winning ability at the level. I also really enjoyed what Lam Simon (North) did in defence. He was influential in the air and careful by foot and was another that was really enjoyable to watch.

Last edited:
Central 11.5 71 def by Glenelg 15.14 104

Luke Edwards (Glenelg)
I've probably been lower on Edwards than most as I was relatively underwhelmed with his early form in the U18's and hadn't been particularly blown away by anything he'd done across his whole body of work. I've spent some time reviewing some of his games from last year, including some from the Champs and the Futures game and after seeing him debut this weekend in the League side I feel like I've started to work out what Edwards is about. He just seems to be a guy that rises to each level, playing to his strengths and performing his role. I think I wanted to see dominance at 18's, then a solid contribution at senior level and whilst I don't feel like I got the 18's form I was looking for, I've seen enough at senior level to feel pretty confident in what he brings to an AFL club at the next level.

Just as he did at the Champs and in the Futures game last year, Edwards did very little wrong on the weekend. Playing predominantly on the wing and half forward, he hit the kicks that he needed to hit, stuck tackles when it was his turn to tackle and ran to create space/options for his teammates. He just looked really comfortable at the level and certainly didn't look out of place at all. I'd love to see him play out the year at League level to allow his teammates to develop a bit more trust in his ability. I felt there was opportunities where teammates should've used him but turned to a more experienced player in a worse position. Their confidence in him will come as he spends more time in the League side.

Where I'd like to see Edwards develop is taking on tougher kicks that can create scoring opportunities. At this stage that's probably not going to be his role at League level but would've been good to see at the Champs (if we had one). At this stage his ball use and decision-making is very careful, very sound and he makes good decisions with it. What takes his game to the next level is the ability to really open up teams by foot. I'd also like to see him start to accumulate more on the wing and become involved in the ball movement forward of centre. These things are certainly not a stretch for a kid like Edwards who certainly has the ability to deliver it.

I'm curious to see where Edwards fits in the draft this year. I've seen many pencil him in as a first rounder whereas I probably have him in the middle of the second round at the earliest at this stage.

Corey Durdin (Central)
Playing at Central Districts this season has provided few opportunities for Durdin in the forward half and it was a bit the same on Saturday. It's a tough time as a small forward when the quantity and quality of looks are limited but Durdin has still managed to show glimpses despite this. He had to push up the ground to find the footy but managed a nice goal running into forward 50 early in the 3rd quarter. His use delivering inside 50 was a bit rushed at times and I think that's where the big improvement needs to come in his game. He certainly has a role to play at AFL level but he must maximise the impact of his possessions going inside forward 50. He attended a few stoppages as a midfielder during the second half to try and given Centrals a different look but given his lack of size, he's likely to struggle to have much of an influence there, as was the case on Saturday.

I like Durdin's game and if he can become more consistent with his ball use inside forward 50 I think he can definitely carve out a niche' role at AFL level. I think his draft range is probably 40+ at this moment. It's tough but I do wonder if his stock improves if he's playing for a better side giving him more opportunity in the forward half.

Lachlan Grubb (Central) also played in the League side but struggled with opportunities the same way Durdin did. He found a couple of possessions around the ground but few in truly attacking situations.

Cooper Horsnell (Glenelg) played in the Reserves game of which I caught the second half. He looked very comfortable at the level and I was really impressed with his running, decision-making and ball use off half back. There's not a lot of Horsnell but he's pretty fierce and was not shying away from any contests. It might be tough to crack a spot in the League side but I don't think he'd be too far off a chance if the Tiger's succumb to a few injuries.

I mentioned last week that I'd re-watched the U17's Futures game from last year. I'm not going to be able to see any footy this weekend so I'll share those notes some time early next week which will give some of my thoughts on some of this years draft prospects from outside South Australia.

It was a nice triple header for me on Saturday getting to see some U18, Reserves and League footy. It was a 9am start down at Prospect to see North v Sturt in the U18's, then out to Elizabeth to see Centrals v Glenelg in Reserves and League.

North 10.9 69 def by Sturt 12.6 78

Tariek Newchurch (North)
Newchurch has the physical profile that would seemingly translate to AFL level. He's a relatively good size for a high half-forward, has good speed and a good leap. His football is not there for me just yet. This is not to suggest that he won't get there, but I feel like he's 4-5 years away from being in the conversation about whether he's ready for AFL footy. The question from there is what does AFL-ready look like for Newchurch. I'm envisioning a player who has the physical tools and profile of a Ben Davis and it will be up to the Crows development staff (I'm guessing given he's eligible through the NGA) to get his football to AFL standard.

He's a high half forward who can consistently beat his opponent at U18 level on the lead. He has moments inside 50 where he looks dangerous, either crumbing or at stoppage. His skill execution is what tends to let him down at this stage. His delivery inside forward 50 doesn't consistently hit targets enough and you'd probably like to see him finish more of his opportunities around goal. His physical profile allows him to win contests at U18 level but it wouldn't be such a strength at Reserves or League level at this stage.

I by no means want to bury this kid. It's amazing what being in a professional system and footy program can do for some kids and I do feel like that's what he needs to reach his potential. Based only on what I've seen, I'd have him as an outside rookie chance and that's probably on the assumption that list sizes stay the same. I'll definitely be out to see more of Newchurch over the coming weeks.

Interestingly, I did notice a player manager having a conversation with his family throughout the game. This is entirely speculation but I do wonder whether the Crows would've provided some assurance that they'll at the very least nominate him for the rookie draft. This would guarantee that he would find his way onto a list next year. I'll be interested to see how this one plays out.

Tom Powell (Sturt)
It's pretty crazy to think that this was one of Powell's quieter games and he still had 27 disposals and 10 clearances. The kid just accumulates at an elite level. He actually had a fair bit of attention after quarter time which probably curbed his influence through the second and third but when the game was on the line in the fourth, he still found a way to have an influence, particularly around stoppage. His ability to win the footy in tight and have cleans hands to get it to the outside, either directly to a teammate or forward to a teammates' advantage is elite and is a skill that I see really transferable to AFL level. I've mentioned that he has a similar game to Treloar, and Clayton Oliver is probably another who Powell shares similar attributes with. I don't make these comparisons lightly, obviously these guys are stars of the game but I think there's enough similarities to show that if/when Powell gets into the AFL system he's got the qualities to be successful at the level.

Sturt are pretty strong at Reserves level but I would like to see Powell make the jump and get some exposure against some bigger, stronger midfielders. At this stage I've definitely got Powell in my top 40.

Jamison Murphy (North)
Murphy played across half back and just showed some real strength and class. He's a good decision maker and good user of the footy and looks like the type that could have a good career at SANFL level. He's a real natural footballer who reads the game well and has the strength to influence contests when it's his turn to go. His physical make-up probably hurts his chances at AFL level but his skill level should see him play some League footy if he sticks at it. Unfortunately he went down with an injury on the 3/4 time siren and seemed to be a bit distressed. North really missed his leadership in the back half in the last quarter as Sturt ran over the top of them.

Others that impressed me were Matthew Borg (North) who seemed to follow round Tom Powell for patches. His contest work was good and he tackled really well. His physicality was good to watch. Mani Liddy (Sturt) was really good again this week and won more than his fair share again. Sometimes he doesn't quite hurt the opposition by foot as much as you'd like but you can't fault his effort and ball-winning ability at the level. I also really enjoyed what Lam Simon (North) did in defence. He was influential in the air and careful by foot and was another that was really enjoyable to watch.
Very deflating read on Newchurch. I’ve seen a lot of talk that he could even attract a first round bid? How much have you seen of him?

Very deflating read on Newchurch. I’ve seen a lot of talk that he could even attract a first round bid? How much have you seen of him?

To be honest I'd be stunned if he attracted a first round bid. I've seen him a handful of times across the last two years so there's no question that there would be others who would have seen more of him than me. This is purely based on what I've seen of him. I have zero intelligence from Clubs and I try to make my assessment without any bias about what others have written. As a Crows fan myself there's no question that I want him to be a first round talent but at this stage I don't see him that way. However, I do think there is a pathway for him to succeed at the level.

Looks like the Centrals / Glenelg result has changed from a draw to a centrals win. Apparently 26min flat with no time on is hard to manage for the time keeper with glenelg kicking a point at 27.13 to tie the scores

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I managed to catch a bit of the South v Eagles League game on TV with both Horne and Jones playing but wasn't able to watch closely enough to really contribute any thoughts.

I mentioned that I would share some notes from the U17 Futures game from last year but I thought it might add more value to add some more commentary across all the vision I've seen of some guys, rather than revisit what a lot of us have already seen and written about.

Braeden Campbell (Sydney Academy)
I rate Campbell very highly and would have him in my top 3 at this stage. I think he has genuine weapons that could see him play anywhere at AFL level. I always admire players that make and take tough kicks and I think Campbell is one of those players. That penetrating kick into the corridor or into a dangerous position is a skill that is becoming more and more critical in breaking defences open at AFL level and is one that I believe Campbell possesses. Whether he does that from half back, through the midfield or up forward at the next level, I'm not sure, but I think he'll be another nice addition to Sydney's best 22 next year. His strong body and appetite for the contest separates him from primarily outside leaning players with similar skills by foot.

Will Phillips
Unlike most, I have Phillips outside my top 5 at the moment. Having said that, I think Phillips is one of the safest picks inside the top 10 this year. His body of work leaves very little doubt that he's going to have a productive AFL career. He's a prolific ball-winner at stoppage and has the dash and evasiveness to exit the stoppage and transition the footy. He's going to be hard to tackle even at the next level due to his low centre of gravity and power through his legs/hips. I'd written in my notes that a couple of his exits from stoppage reminded me of Luke Shuey and that's purely from a stylistic perspective. I prefer Phillips' use either by hand or foot over 15-30 metres, and think a big area of improvement for him is building consistency in his ball use outside of that range. I think Phillips is one that finds his way into a lot of Round 1 teams in 2021.

Elijah Hollands
Hollands is another player that I really like who features in my top 3 at the minute. He's probably in a rare position where an ACL injury in his draft year doesn't hurt him as much as it could've given we're not seeing as much of the other VIC kids as we normally would have. For me, Hollands is going to impact the game the same way that Isaac Heeney has throughout the early part of his career. I see him as a mid-high teen possession forward/midfielder who is more likely to win you a game through his impact up forward rather than through the midfield (although he's certainly capable through the midfield). Whilst impact-wise I think there are similarities to Heeney, I don't think Hollands is going to be someone you can isolate at full forward or be a kick-to target inside forward 50 the way Heeney can be. Hollands seems to impact the game better drifting forward, rather than being positioned deep. He's another who has serious weapons by foot. He's a penetrating kick and capable of delivering on either his right or left side. His hands in tight are sharp and he's very damaging at stoppage. His ability to hurt on the inside or outside and then be a game-changer up forward is why I rate him so highly.

As is often the case with players who share similar attributes to Hollands I think it will take some time for him to build the consistency. I expect early signs of genuine match-winning ability combined with games where he has minimal impact and I think the best version of his career follows a similar trajectory to Christian Petracca. Aside from the consistency issues, there will be some concerns with how he recovers from his ACL injury. As I mentioned earlier, given the limited exposure to all the VIC kids this year, I don't think Hollands will find himself sliding down too many draft boards.

Zane Trew
There's a lot to like about Zane Trew's game and I feel very similarly about him as I did in 2016 with Will Brodie. I think fit and opportunity are going to be key for Trew (to be honest, it is for most kids anyway), and finding his way onto a list that is going to allow him to develop as a primary hit-to target at stoppage with capable runners on his outside will go a long way to maximising his development. There's no question that Trew can win it on the inside and his fast hands allow him to consistently find teammates on the outside. If he's not first to it then you better believe he's going to stick a strong tackle. He's not going to take a backwards step against anyone and thrives on the physical nature of the contest. Trew is another that is more damaging by hand than foot but he's more than capable of hitting short lead up targets. I have Trew in my top 10 at this stage but like Brodie in 2016, I don't think he's just a plug and play anywhere.

Alex Davies (Gold Coast Academy)
Davies has a fair body of work across his junior career as a big-bodied midfielder that consistently wins the ball at stoppage. I'd say he's consistent rather than prolific but he has had some moments against some of the other highly-rated midfielders from this years draft. He has a tendency to get run down from behind when exiting stoppage and sometimes holds onto the footy for too long. Again, another who is better by hand than foot, Davies has a bit of work to do to develop some consistency in his ball use. The fear I hold for Davies is that I don't think he has enough weapons at this stage to earn big midfield minutes at AFL level and I don't think he has another position that he can play. Building his forward craft and ability to float in and mark inside 50 would really add to his game and perhaps give him other tools to work with at the next level.

Eddie Ford
I'm actually a really big Eddie Ford fan and have him inside my top 15 with genuine scope to be inside the top 10. His work in the forward half of the ground is dynamic and he can turn a game pretty quickly. He's got weapons that can transition to the next level. He's strong aerially for his size and can stay in the contest when the ball hits the deck. He's a good finisher in front of goal and can bring others into the game. He's probably not going to be the kind of player whose numbers jump off the page but he's capable of big moments in big games.

Denver Grainger-Barrass
I'm usually a bit opposed to drafting second and third defenders in the top 10 as I feel there can be value with these types later. It's not a flawless strategy but one I generally feel pretty comfortable with. However I think this draft is going to challenge everyone's approach and I'd probably be comfortable with DGB anywhere from pick 8 onwards. He's probably best suited to start as a number 3 at AFL level, developing into a capable number 2 that can consistently halve one-on-one contests and stifle attacks with his intercept marking.

Logan McDonald
I think his game is more advanced than some of the other key tall's in this draft which probably explains his rise to projected top 1-5 pick. I know I haven't seen the best of JUH yet but I definitely think McDonald is a more refined product at this point and whilst his ceiling is not as high as Ugle-Hagan's, I think he's probably a touch safer. McDonald does a lot of good work up the ground and is equally capable inside forward 50. That versatility in his game should allow him to have an impact wherever he lands on draft night. His form in the WAFL is exceptional for a forward his age and I think he's one of the safest key forward prospects we've seen (PS I exclude the 2018 draft from almost every past reference, it's just that good). I have McDonald ahead of JUH and Thilthorpe for that reason, although there's no question that comment could look ridiculously stupid in 5 years time when JUH is a star.

Over the coming weeks I'll continue to review my notes from 2019 and get stuck into some more vision from some of the kids outside of SA. I really appreciate those contributors who have been able to share the vision they have of kids. Once I've started to collate more of that I'll share my early rankings.

Next week I should be back out at SANFL/Reserves/U18 games so I'm looking forward to seeing more of the South Australian talent.

I was pretty keen to head out to see Sturt take on the Eagles on Saturday but other plans and the need to see Tariek Newchurch again meant that Norwood vs North at The Parade was the easier option. It seems that was a mistake as Poulter/Burgoyne/Liddy all seemed to be very good while I wasn't overly impressed with what I saw out at Norwood.

Tariek Newchurch (North)
I won't spend too much time on this because I've already shared most of my thoughts on Newchurch and the game on Saturday didn't really do anything to change my mind but rather confirmed the way I already felt. Newchurch kicked the first goal of the game and then had one or two other moments inside forward 50 but overall had minimal influence on the contest. He did lay one or two tackles inside forward 50 and got a few marks up the ground but just didn't impact that game the way I really wanted him too. He split time between high half forward, wing and deep forward. He probably looks at his best as a high half forward that can be an option leading up at the footy or can impact the contest running back towards goal when the ball goes over his head. Norwood were pretty undermanned on Saturday and I just didn't see enough from Newchurch to really change where I see him fitting in this draft.

Henry Nelligan (Norwood)
I really like Nelligan and I think he's got the ability to play a lot of League footy if he sticks at it. He's pretty small but he's super strong through the legs and core which helps him break through tackles and power out of stoppages. He's certainly a level above the U18's and probably should be pulled back up to the Reserves over the next few weeks. He accumulated the footy all over the ground, was great at stoppage and kicked a really nice goal on the run under plenty of pressure. His size is the clear knock on him but the kid is just a really handy footballer.

Cooper Murley (Norwood)
Murley's size and strength is probably the only thing keeping him out of the Reserves side at the moment. He's been Norwood's most consistent player at U18 level this season and is a really nice blend of speed and class. He's lightning at stoppage, getting on the move to push the ball into space and then regularly hitting teammates by foot. He got a lot of attention from North Adelaide, with Matthew Borg putting a fair bit of time into him, which probably curbed his influence a little more than the stats would probably suggest. He had some opportunities to hit the scoreboard but unfortunately ended with 0.3. If Murley's body develops over the next 12 months there's no reasons why he can't be a genuine draft prospect in 2021.

As mentioned earlier, Matthew Borg (North) gave Murley a fair bit of attention but it didn't stop him from winning his own fair share of the ball and hitting the scoreboard. He's as tough as nails and manages to keep finding the footy while playing as an accountable midfielder defensively. Lam Simon (North) showed me a bit again that I really liked. He's an athletic tall defender who is really capable in the air and careful by foot. Blaine O'Loughlin (North) has a really classy left foot and is one that North really enjoy feeding the footy as he rarely wastes it.

Unfortunately not a lot that impacts the draft from this weeks write up. I'm still a bit filthy about missing out on seeing Poulter on the weekend so I reckon there's a fair chance I head out to Woodville this coming weekend to see how he's improved over the last month and get another look at Jase Burgoyne who is flying.

My 2020 draft rankings are still not quite ready yet but I'm looking forward to getting my first edition of those out shortly.

I was pretty keen to head out to see Sturt take on the Eagles on Saturday but other plans and the need to see Tariek Newchurch again meant that Norwood vs North at The Parade was the easier option. It seems that was a mistake as Poulter/Burgoyne/Liddy all seemed to be very good while I wasn't overly impressed with what I saw out at Norwood.

Tariek Newchurch (North)
I won't spend too much time on this because I've already shared most of my thoughts on Newchurch and the game on Saturday didn't really do anything to change my mind but rather confirmed the way I already felt. Newchurch kicked the first goal of the game and then had one or two other moments inside forward 50 but overall had minimal influence on the contest. He did lay one or two tackles inside forward 50 and got a few marks up the ground but just didn't impact that game the way I really wanted him too. He split time between high half forward, wing and deep forward. He probably looks at his best as a high half forward that can be an option leading up at the footy or can impact the contest running back towards goal when the ball goes over his head. Norwood were pretty undermanned on Saturday and I just didn't see enough from Newchurch to really change where I see him fitting in this draft.

Henry Nelligan (Norwood)
I really like Nelligan and I think he's got the ability to play a lot of League footy if he sticks at it. He's pretty small but he's super strong through the legs and core which helps him break through tackles and power out of stoppages. He's certainly a level above the U18's and probably should be pulled back up to the Reserves over the next few weeks. He accumulated the footy all over the ground, was great at stoppage and kicked a really nice goal on the run under plenty of pressure. His size is the clear knock on him but the kid is just a really handy footballer.

Cooper Murley (Norwood)
Murley's size and strength is probably the only thing keeping him out of the Reserves side at the moment. He's been Norwood's most consistent player at U18 level this season and is a really nice blend of speed and class. He's lightning at stoppage, getting on the move to push the ball into space and then regularly hitting teammates by foot. He got a lot of attention from North Adelaide, with Matthew Borg putting a fair bit of time into him, which probably curbed his influence a little more than the stats would probably suggest. He had some opportunities to hit the scoreboard but unfortunately ended with 0.3. If Murley's body develops over the next 12 months there's no reasons why he can't be a genuine draft prospect in 2021.

As mentioned earlier, Matthew Borg (North) gave Murley a fair bit of attention but it didn't stop him from winning his own fair share of the ball and hitting the scoreboard. He's as tough as nails and manages to keep finding the footy while playing as an accountable midfielder defensively. Lam Simon (North) showed me a bit again that I really liked. He's an athletic tall defender who is really capable in the air and careful by foot. Blaine O'Loughlin (North) has a really classy left foot and is one that North really enjoy feeding the footy as he rarely wastes it.

Unfortunately not a lot that impacts the draft from this weeks write up. I'm still a bit filthy about missing out on seeing Poulter on the weekend so I reckon there's a fair chance I head out to Woodville this coming weekend to see how he's improved over the last month and get another look at Jase Burgoyne who is flying.

My 2020 draft rankings are still not quite ready yet but I'm looking forward to getting my first edition of those out shortly.
If you get to any South Adelaide games I'd be very interested on your take on indigenous lad Phoenix Spicer, never fails to catch my eye when I watch the Panthers games on the SANFL digital pass streams, top end pace, extreme agility and athleticism. Hard at the contest too.

If you get to any South Adelaide games I'd be very interested on your take on indigenous lad Phoenix Spicer, never fails to catch my eye when I watch the Panthers games on the SANFL digital pass streams, top end pace, extreme agility and athleticism. Hard at the contest too.

I've seen Spicer play quite a few times this year and similarly he always manages to do a few things that catch my eye. He reminds me a bit of Anthony Wilson who plays League footy at Norwood. Both have raw speed and can do some pretty amazing things but don't always have a great deal of control which can sometimes hurt their ability to make real good decisions with the footy. Spicer certainly does have a harder edge though. I don't think he comes into draft calculations this year but I reckon he's one that recruiters bookmark and continue to track over the next few years to see where he's at as a 19/20 year old.

Tariek Newchurch (North)

Henry Nelligan (Norwood)

Cooper Murley (Norwood)

I actually went out to Unley to try and get my first look at Tommy Powell only to discover he wasn't on the field when I got there :(. Poorly researched on my behalf, not sure if he was moved up to Ressies? Either way I did get the chance to see Poulter for the first time and YES absolutely I can see what all the fuss is about. Sat a kick behind the play for a lot of the game with occasional bursts through the middle. Exceptional work rate, must have been given license to push forward and try and try and pluck a mark when his side was kicking i50 coz he did plenty of that but then had the aerobic capacity to work back quickly behind the ball. Skills looked elite in tricky conditions & one particular bursting run on the wing and lacing a target was very impressive.

I actually went out to Unley to try and get my first look at Tommy Powell only to discover he wasn't on the field when I got there :(. Poorly researched on my behalf, not sure if he was moved up to Ressies? Either way I did get the chance to see Poulter for the first time and YES absolutely I can see what all the fuss is about. Sat a kick behind the play for a lot of the game with occasional bursts through the middle. Exceptional work rate, must have been given license to push forward and try and try and pluck a mark when his side was kicking i50 coz he did plenty of that but then had the aerobic capacity to work back quickly behind the ball. Skills looked elite in tricky conditions & one particular bursting run on the wing and lacing a target was very impressive.

I did notice that Powell wasn't named and I didn't see him named in the Reserves either so I'm not too sure of his status. I really hope it's not injury.

Thanks for the comments on Poulter! I must admit I'm quite jealous that I didn't get down there to see the game. I'm glad he's continuing to perform well and I really hope I get to see some of his best footy over the next few weeks. It sounds like he's starting to show some real versatility in his game which is really pleasing.

How did Jase Burgoyne and Max Litster perform for the Eagles. Jase seems to have had an excellent season with regular big numbers, but the one now taking my attention is Max Litster seems to have come from no where and gets big numbers, please tell me a bit about him, is he draftable. I believe his father played one SANFL league game for West Torrens.

I got out to Norwood Oval on Friday night to see Norwood play the Eagles in both the League and Reserves games.

Reserves
Norwood 9.6 60 def by Woodville West Torrens 13.8 86

This game was really only about seeing Poulter for me and he did not disappoint in his first game at Reserves level. He found his fair share of the footy and showed glimpses of nearly every weapon in his game. Physically, he comfortably stood up to the level. He was strong over the footy, hit the contest when it was his turn to go and stuck a number of really imposing tackles. To give some perspective from a physicality perspective, the gap between Reserves and League footy is pretty big, with the Reserves stacked with a fair few U18's and other under-developed bodies. However, it's still a level above the U18's competition and Poulter met the standard comfortably.

Poulter played exclusively on the wing with a short burst in each quarter on the ball. Probably the highlight of the game was when he followed up his own centre clearance kick, won the footy, and then exploded away and kicked a goal under pressure from 45m out. It was an impressive first goal at the level and his teammates rightly got around him. I was also really impressed with what Poulter did at stoppage. Playing as a winger, he never got sucked into the contest and held his position on the outside waiting for his teammates to win the footy, then worked quickly to spread from the stoppage and present an option on the outside. I see Poulter as more outside leaning in at the moment. That's not to say he doesn't have the inside ability, I just think his outside craft is more advanced at this stage and probably gives him more chance at establishing a role at AFL level. His ability on the spread to find open spaces enables him to accumulate uncontested marks and his speed and height makes it tough for smaller wingers to take that away.

If there's any criticism I have it's probably that he has a tendency to blaze away and kick long rather than showing a little more composure to hit up shorter targets. It's a little harsh because his long, penetrating kick is such a weapon but finding the balance between the two will help his game go to the next level. I'd also like to see him become more accomplished in the air. He's a really good size at 190cm and as a winger his ability to be a target out of defence or floating forward can be a real asset at AFL level. The thing that I really like about Poulter is there's no doubt that he has the ability to do both those things. For me, Poulter is not a question of talent, rather can he harness all the pieces of his game, settle into a role and consistently put it together at the next level.

I think the best version of Poulter is on the wing at the next level. I feel that gives him the best opportunity to maximise his weapons and if he can add the short kicking and aerial marking as features to his game he's unquestionably got a future at AFL level for me. I'd draw similarities to Mitch Robinson's game on the wing for Brisbane and I think particularly in today's AFL that's a real valuable role to fill.

Jack Saunders (Norwood)
Saunders was impressive having now played a few games at Reserves level. He's strong through the legs and core and showed a few moments exploding away from stoppage which was impressive. In the past I've seen him show a fair bit by foot but it was his contested game that was mostly on display Friday night. I like the inside/outside balance of Saunders and I'm really intrigued to see how he develops over the next 12 months.

Michael Cavallaro (Norwood)
I continue to be impressed with Cavallaro who just hasn't seemed to miss a beat since being called up to the Reserves. He's a smooth mover around the ground and seems to accumulate and find space on the wing just as comfortably at Reserves level. He's a really smart user and looks good hitting up targets on the lead. Size is probably his biggest enemy but he's one that I see playing a lot of footy for Norwood over the coming years.

League
Norwood 12.12 84 def Woodville West Torrens 6.8 44

Lachlan Jones (Woodville West Torrens - Port NGA)
It was a pretty tough night for Jones. He started in defence and then got moved forward in the second half before getting moved back to defence in the last quarter. His upside is pretty clear. He's just so physically strong and flashed a bit of break-away speed on Friday night. Pair that with a long, penetrating kick and you've got some intriguing weapons. He definitely looks to have the flexibility to play on a few different types as a medium defender and looks a particularly good match up for those powerful midfielders who rest forward which could provide very valuable at AFL level. I definitely need to see more vision of him. I've seen him have a number of similarly quiet appearances and I know he's got a bit more to show.

I got out to Norwood Oval on Friday night to see Norwood play the Eagles in both the League and Reserves games.

Reserves
Norwood 9.6 60 def by Woodville West Torrens 13.8 86

This game was really only about seeing Poulter for me and he did not disappoint in his first game at Reserves level. He found his fair share of the footy and showed glimpses of nearly every weapon in his game. Physically, he comfortably stood up to the level. He was strong over the footy, hit the contest when it was his turn to go and stuck a number of really imposing tackles. To give some perspective from a physicality perspective, the gap between Reserves and League footy is pretty big, with the Reserves stacked with a fair few U18's and other under-developed bodies. However, it's still a level above the U18's competition and Poulter met the standard comfortably.

Poulter played exclusively on the wing with a short burst in each quarter on the ball. Probably the highlight of the game was when he followed up his own centre clearance kick, won the footy, and then exploded away and kicked a goal under pressure from 45m out. It was an impressive first goal at the level and his teammates rightly got around him. I was also really impressed with what Poulter did at stoppage. Playing as a winger, he never got sucked into the contest and held his position on the outside waiting for his teammates to win the footy, then worked quickly to spread from the stoppage and present an option on the outside. I see Poulter as more outside leaning in at the moment. That's not to say he doesn't have the inside ability, I just think his outside craft is more advanced at this stage and probably gives him more chance at establishing a role at AFL level. His ability on the spread to find open spaces enables him to accumulate uncontested marks and his speed and height makes it tough for smaller wingers to take that away.

If there's any criticism I have it's probably that he has a tendency to blaze away and kick long rather than showing a little more composure to hit up shorter targets. It's a little harsh because his long, penetrating kick is such a weapon but finding the balance between the two will help his game go to the next level. I'd also like to see him become more accomplished in the air. He's a really good size at 190cm and as a winger his ability to be a target out of defence or floating forward can be a real asset at AFL level. The thing that I really like about Poulter is there's no doubt that he has the ability to do both those things. For me, Poulter is not a question of talent, rather can he harness all the pieces of his game, settle into a role and consistently put it together at the next level.

I think the best version of Poulter is on the wing at the next level. I feel that gives him the best opportunity to maximise his weapons and if he can add the short kicking and aerial marking as features to his game he's unquestionably got a future at AFL level for me. I'd draw similarities to Mitch Robinson's game on the wing for Brisbane and I think particularly in today's AFL that's a real valuable role to fill.

Jack Saunders (Norwood)
Saunders was impressive having now played a few games at Reserves level. He's strong through the legs and core and showed a few moments exploding away from stoppage which was impressive. In the past I've seen him show a fair bit by foot but it was his contested game that was mostly on display Friday night. I like the inside/outside balance of Saunders and I'm really intrigued to see how he develops over the next 12 months.

Michael Cavallaro (Norwood)
I continue to be impressed with Cavallaro who just hasn't seemed to miss a beat since being called up to the Reserves. He's a smooth mover around the ground and seems to accumulate and find space on the wing just as comfortably at Reserves level. He's a really smart user and looks good hitting up targets on the lead. Size is probably his biggest enemy but he's one that I see playing a lot of footy for Norwood over the coming years.

League
Norwood 12.12 84 def Woodville West Torrens 6.8 44

Lachlan Jones (Woodville West Torrens - Port NGA)
It was a pretty tough night for Jones. He started in defence and then got moved forward in the second half before getting moved back to defence in the last quarter. His upside is pretty clear. He's just so physically strong and flashed a bit of break-away speed on Friday night. Pair that with a long, penetrating kick and you've got some intriguing weapons. He definitely looks to have the flexibility to play on a few different types as a medium defender and looks a particularly good match up for those powerful midfielders who rest forward which could provide very valuable at AFL level. I definitely need to see more vision of him. I've seen him have a number of similarly quiet appearances and I know he's got a bit more to show.
Saunders kicking?

Saunders kicking?
He's had some good moments in the U18's biting off some tough kicks, particularly very early in the year when he split some time at half back. I really enjoyed the fact that he was willing to look inside the corridor to hit up a target in a dangerous position rather than going the more predictable route long down the line. They certainly didn't all come off but he created some scoring opportunities when he pulled the trigger which impressed me.

I went out to Unley Oval hoping to see Tom Powell debut at League level. Unfortunately I didn't get to see that but still got to see some good, young talent feature in the Reserves and League side.

Reserves
Sturt 9.9 63 def by South 10.8 68

Phoenix Spicer (South)
I've seen a fair bit of Spicer this year at U18 level but this was the first time I've seen him in the Reserves and I was really impressed. He spent the first quarter on the wing then played the rest of the game at half forward which I was really pleased about as that's the role that I think he has at AFL level should he get the opportunity. He had a few 'almost' moments in the first half with a few snaps inside forward 50 but his first 5 minutes of the third really gave South a burst and his two goals helped them hit the front. He was crafty on both sides of his body which enables him to create space and hit short targets around the ground and inside forward 50. He's a good tackler but will need to add strength to his frame to ensure that skill translates to the next level.

He's really moved into my draft calculations although I'm probably a bit late to the party as I've received a number of messages over the past month from people assuring me that he'll be drafted. I'm really impressed with the rate of improvement he's shown this year, coming from a kid who was probably a bit too quick for himself and a touch out of control at U18 level to a influential contributor at Reserves level. It's a bit hard to see exactly where he fits in the draft but given how highly rated speed, forward pressure and class is there will be suitors I'm sure. I'd probably place him in the Pick 40 - rookie range at this stage.

League
Sturt 11.14 80 def South 7.5 47

James Borlase (Sturt - Adelaide NGA)
I was really impressed with Borlase in his second League game. He read the ball well in flight and showed the confidence to leave his man and impact the contest aerially. Unfortunately he let the ball slip through his hands on one particularly intercept play but his ability to read it and his intent was evident. He started as the deepest defender but even found himself up the ground following Matthew Broadbent at stages which showed a bit of flexibility. His use by hand and foot was safe and effective. I noticed him get particularly frustrated with himself when he was caught trailing his opponent on leads so I do wonder if that plays on his mind throughout the game.

Overall I think Borlase is a good solid footballer, I'm just not sure how he projects at AFL level given his physical attributes. I'm not sure he has the speed off the mark to go with some of the key forwards on the lead, he's probably a touch shorter than you'd like for a genuine key defender and I think he lacks the athleticism/agility to play purely as an intercepting defender. It's harsh but I just feel his game/body is probably more suited to State League level rather than AFL level. Bodies can change dramatically with a few years in the system so Adelaide, or other teams might feel that his football is good enough and they can get his body to a position where he can compete at the level.

Jason Horne (South)
I've written a fair bit about Horne already in this thread but I just continue to be impressed by him every time I see him. Horne played predominantly at half forward but actually spent some time as the deepest forward which gave an ever so slight glimpse of what he could do at AFL level. He projects as a tough, explosive, classy midfielder that can roll forward and take a contested mark and hit the scoreboard. He really is the whole package. If he was draft eligible this year, I would take him with the first pick. It's so rare to see such a blend of athleticism, class, toughness, courage and versatility and it's crazy to think that he has another year of development before he's draft eligible.

I keep putting off posting my draft board as I'm struggling to get past the fact that I just haven't seen enough of some of these kids but I might get something up this week just to give some indication about where I see players fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back