2020 SEASON LAUNCH - With pics, reports and stalkers

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Atley is almost as big as Carey.

In another image McDonald is markedly bigger than Archer. Lol.

Football has changed a lot over the last 20 years or so.

There was a lot of that. Tarryn not that much shorter looking than Ischenko, Garner close to Fairley's height etc. Crazy how much taller they are now.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
There was a lot of that. Tarryn not that much shorter looking than Ischenko, Garner close to Fairley's height etc. Crazy how much taller they are now.

Carey would still deck the entire playing list single handed.

Robert said the club were managing his loads, he trains Monday and Friday they keep him off his feet on Wednesday. Interestingly he brought up Jared Polec’s name when discussing Bailey’s foot. Now given the last (first) time I posted about a supposed injury to a player (a nerve issue in Cam Zurhaar’s back) in hindsight my source was quite questionable, so I’m somewhat reluctant to post this. However given this was told to me by Robert Scott I feel slightly more confident, having said that it’s still second hand information so grain of salt and all that. Anyway, Robert said Polly hasn’t trained twice a week since he did his foot in Brisbane, he said North increased his training load to 3 sessionss a week, he did 3 session for 2 weeks then broke down again (hence the reason Bailey is only doing 2 sessions a week). I got the sense that he was talking about Polly breaking down this pre-season but just to be clear he didn’t say that, it could very well have been talking about last pre-season. Make of that what you will.

Had it confirmed that he had surgery last week to fix this issue.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Absolutely, only talking about heights.
I'm not even just talking about height, but overall size, hence my use of the term 'big' rather than 'tall'.

Next to Carey, Atley appears to have a similar frame.

Atley vs Carey.jpg

Only slightly smaller, not enough to stop them from matching up on-field from a size perspective.

A modern-day back-pocket / back-flank vs a 90s centre half forward.

It is just getting silly at this point.

Yeah well Zondors attended the Season Launch last night and I must say it was a Good Night. Caught up with various BigFooty Types and other acquaintances. Simple Finger Food but it hit the spot. Enjoyed the Sausage Rolls in particular. :stern look

There was a welcome to country, or land, or event of some sort, by our Indigenous Sisters. They broke out in song and dance. Seeing that I'm a practising Satanist, the meaning behind the ceremony was over my head. Disappointed no Goats were sacrificed. Maybe Next Time. :stern look

Shelley Ware hosted the night and she was alright. :stern look

She said a few words and then she handed the reigns to the Bush Ranger Ben Buckley. He also said a few words and then onto the Jumper Presentation which has been covered quite well by fellow BF Posters. On this I loved the fact you had Carey presenting 18 but Ceglar presenting 22 and Passmore presenting 37. Greats and Battlers all as one. Apparently Crocker's idea. Now the Head of Culture. Also it was great to see Steve McCann presenting 16. A certain Turkey that posts on this forum quipped, "McCann looks like he has been on the Cans". This was said is as he held 2 beers in his hands. :stern look

There were also speeches from both the Women's Coach and the Men's Coach. Then the night started to wind down. The Finish was meant to be 9pm. But it wasn't until soon before 10 that I waltz out of the Joint. One of the last to leave was Rhyce Shaw. Talking to members. Engaged in conversation. Giving people the time of day. Yeah I had a chat with him. He is a very likable character. He could very well be that unifying identity that our club so desperately needs. :stern look

Everyone has summed it up pretty well. I tracked down all our sponsored players and they were all nice people.

The jumper presentation was done really well. I had wondered how they had planned to integrate the men’s and women’s without flossing over the girls and I thought they handled it brilliantly.

Interesting facts, the Haines twins said to me that there’s actually 7 twins playing in the girls team. I can’t remember all but Emma Kearney, Emma King, Sarah Wright and Emma Humphries all have a twin.

Flynn was with Jack Mahoney and Matt McGuinness when I spoke to them. He reckoned he was tracking alright but is still on a restricted program. I said he appeared to have bulked up in the photos they release and he said a few people had said the same but he wasn’t so sure. Matt McGuinness looked bigger than I thought but I told him in the photos he looked like a pipe cleaner, the other guy’s killed themselves laughing but he didn’t know what a pipe cleaner was. Are they not a thing anymore?

Everyone has summed it up pretty well. I tracked down all our sponsored players and they were all nice people.

The jumper presentation was done really well. I had wondered how they had planned to integrate the men’s and women’s without flossing over the girls and I thought they handled it brilliantly.

Interesting facts, the Haines twins said to me that there’s actually 7 twins playing in the girls team. I can’t remember all but Emma Kearney, Emma King, Sarah Wright and Emma Humphries all have a twin.

Flynn was with Jack Mahoney and Matt McGuinness when I spoke to them. He reckoned he was tracking alright but is still on a restricted program. I said he appeared to have bulked up in the photos they release and he said a few people had said the same but he wasn’t so sure. Matt McGuinness looked bigger than I thought but I told him in the photos he looked like a pipe cleaner, the other guy’s killed themselves laughing but he didn’t know what a pipe cleaner was. Are they not a thing anymore?
They are not a thing anymore.

While it was a great night unlike other years there was no mention of the VFL team. l understand it is mostly made up of our list but there was no mention of coach , captain and other players. Have we got our team settled yet or are we still looking for players...Surely announcing a captain would have been acceptable for the nights event...

Last edited:
While it was a great night unlike other years there was no mention of the VFL team. l understand it is mostly made up of our list but there was no mention of coach , captain and other players. Have we got our team settled yet or are we still looking for players...Surely announcing a captain would have been acceptable for the nights event...
Our vfl recruiting has been pathetic to say the least

not a fan of David Loader either

vfl program needs a major revamp at years end

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I know Stevo was not a big bugger (but had a huge heart.)
still, I can’t believe how much bigger Cunners is than him in that pic. He’s a monster!

Pit Bull vs Jack Russell

Better late than never with my report on the night.

An excellent idea in my opinion, the joint jumper presentation. Great to see some greats/good players from the past, together with some lesser knowns, who in one case had played just 3 games. It really emphasised the togetherness of the club. I hope they maintain this approach. Some of the former players have been in very good paddocks while others looked as fit as when they last played. It makes sense in the case of blokes like Boomer, Spud and Brady, who are around the club in their roles.

I could not get over how much taller the playing list looks compared to say 20 years ago. I spent a fair bit of time with GR and Luke72 and in the case of GR and myself at least, we look more like mascots, age notwithstanding.

GR was his inimitable self. Recently welcomed his fifth child to the GR clan and he informed me that in another 15 years he will have a full cohort to make up the first North Melbourne mixed gender team (well I might have exaggerated there, but where does he find the time and energy to deal with everything going on in his life?)

I'm not one to go and engage players in small talk conversation but I spoke to a few players, including Aaron Hall, Cam Zurrharr and Ben Cunnington. I told Cam he is not allowed to return to Perth until his career is finished. He responded by saying "why is that?", to which I said you are far too valuable to us. He then said he doesn't like Perth anyway. He is a big unit is Cam and I imagine there are a few defenders will not look forward to matching up on him in the years ahead.

I spoke mainly to Benny C and talked about the area we both grew up in. I think he was a bit suspicious as to whether I was a genuine "local" but I mentioned a few too many aspects of the Timboon/Port Campbell/Princetown area, leading him to say "well you certainly must come from there".

A sour point though when I mentioned that I was there as a Bigfooty member. His response was along the lines of "we don't like Bigfooty at all and none of the players go near this site". His response was not dissimilar to that of Simmo several years ago, when a group of us said we were from Bigfooty and there was a look of hatred in his eyes.

In this thread alone we have had one comment that acts to shape our reputation at Bigfooty. Calling someone "The s**t" is way out of line in my opinion. None of us I think would like to be talked about, anonymously, in the same way that some posters do on this forum. We should all remember there is a thread here titled "Everyday is RUOK day" and perhaps we could all learn to post with that in mind.

That apart it was a great night and thank-you to Luke for pulling my name out of the hat.

Better late than never with my report on the night.

An excellent idea in my opinion, the joint jumper presentation. Great to see some greats/good players from the past, together with some lesser knowns, who in one case had played just 3 games. It really emphasised the togetherness of the club. I hope they maintain this approach. Some of the former players have been in very good paddocks while others looked as fit as when they last played. It makes sense in the case of blokes like Boomer, Spud and Brady, who are around the club in their roles.

I could not get over how much taller the playing list looks compared to say 20 years ago. I spent a fair bit of time with GR and Luke72 and in the case of GR and myself at least, we look more like mascots, age notwithstanding.

GR was his inimitable self. Recently welcomed his fifth child to the GR clan and he informed me that in another 15 years he will have a full cohort to make up the first North Melbourne mixed gender team (well I might have exaggerated there, but where does he find the time and energy to deal with everything going on in his life?)

I'm not one to go and engage players in small talk conversation but I spoke to a few players, including Aaron Hall, Cam Zurrharr and Ben Cunnington. I told Cam he is not allowed to return to Perth until his career is finished. He responded by saying "why is that?", to which I said you are far too valuable to us. He then said he doesn't like Perth anyway. He is a big unit is Cam and I imagine there are a few defenders will not look forward to matching up on him in the years ahead.

I spoke mainly to Benny C and talked about the area we both grew up in. I think he was a bit suspicious as to whether I was a genuine "local" but I mentioned a few too many aspects of the Timboon/Port Campbell/Princetown area, leading him to say "well you certainly must come from there".

A sour point though when I mentioned that I was there as a Bigfooty member. His response was along the lines of "we don't like Bigfooty at all and none of the players go near this site". His response was not dissimilar to that of Simmo several years ago, when a group of us said we were from Bigfooty and there was a look of hatred in his eyes.

In this thread alone we have had one comment that acts to shape our reputation at Bigfooty. Calling someone "The s**t" is way out of line in my opinion. None of us I think would like to be talked about, anonymously, in the same way that some posters do on this forum. We should all remember there is a thread here titled "Everyday is RUOK day" and perhaps we could all learn to post with that in mind.

That apart it was a great night and thank-you to Luke for pulling my name out of the hat.
There is absolutely zero chance that they are ever going to look positively at an anonymous posting forum on the internet. Even if it's a minority of posters being jerks at one end and actually abusive at the other end, they will see the worst and that will be who we are to them. Hell, even legit balanced criticism can be misinterpreted just from colourful language. It is what it is.

There is absolutely zero chance that they are ever going to look positively at an anonymous posting forum on the internet. Even if it's a minority of posters being jerks at one end and actually abusive at the other end, they will see the worst and that will be who we are to them. Hell, even legit balanced criticism can be misinterpreted just from colourful language. It is what it is.

Well it should not be "it is what it is". It may be okay in your world to post hateful stuff anonymously about someone, but how do you know what sorts of personal issues the player you are posting about might be confronting?

It is actually a form of bullying to post that sort of stuff and we are increasingly hearing stories of people who have taken their lives as a result of online bullying.

I just think we need to be mindful of how we are viewed, because as a collective we are a player sponsor and our role should be to encourage each of our boys/club employees, not disparage them.

Well it should not be "it is what it is". It may be okay in your world to post hateful stuff anonymously about someone, but how do you know what sorts of personal issues the player you are posting about might be confronting?

It is actually a form of bullying to post that sort of stuff and we are increasingly hearing stories of people who have taken their lives as a result of online bullying.

I just think we need to be mindful of how we are viewed, because as a collective we are a player sponsor and our role should be to encourage each of our boys/club employees, not disparage them.
I’ve had the ‘pleasure’ of calls from a coach, player and CEO re BF over the years, although not of late.

Back