News 2020 Season requests - 11 games at GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Simpson - yes thats right the Premiership coach ( and i think he played 300 games as well ) so he has got pretty good credentials - i heard him interviewed earlier this year - start of the year . He said - when Subiaco Oval - the move from their was 1st mooted - he said - re the new venue - lets keep it skinny -he actually used the word skinny i can remember that . He said he wanted to keep that unique home ground advantage . He then laughed and said the best thing to ever happen was getting Optus Oval which has similar dimensions to the MCG - he said they went from a team who had a phobia about the MCG to a team who now plays well at that venue - said it was very beneficial in getting them that flag

So there it is - in black and white - and for Geel keep it at 9-2 . Games at the MCG re preparation are crucial - if the Cats had just got over the Tigers in the PF - they would have had the perfect preparation for the GF - 3 games in a row at the MCG- would have been tuned to the minute

no other grounds are as narrow as KP

being a victorian side we have the advantage of playing games at the MCG so why not do it

playing finals at KP is a joke, as i've mentioned before, the ground is so narrow it requires a totally different game style (much more contested)

as usual its just about money and trying to push an unfair advantage

PMSL... So narrow? Yep those 6 extra steps I ran on the Adelaide Oval last year from wing to wing changes what exactly?? Please... what utter nonsense. Your claims are based on your opinion... Thanks to the Good Lord others have a clearer view of it. Me included! Tripe is considered a delicacy in some parts... fact? No just opinion.
Cheers

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like they do in every other major competitions around the world. Be it the EPL NBA NFL MLB NHL NRL . Play home games at HOME. Do u ever here of Everton playing home games at Anfield home of Liverpool coz they can fit an extra 20,000 spectators in?? Y not it’s only 30kms away?? No... ditto with the Yankees and Mets... Giants and Athletics... Cubs and White Sox? Man U and Man City?? No... not a hope in hell. That is what home and away game seasons are about. How many people just don’t understand basic principles of this?? It is grade 5 type of stuff. Not hard to work out... but somehow those (The AFL) have tried to convince the punters that’s it’s all about fan access ... more fans to the game... blah blah... Collingwood leading the chorus with the Dawks Tigers Bombers all giving Gilligan wrap arounds to keep the silly folk down the highway and convince them it’s in our best interests for us to play at the G... what a load of dogshit. We will play the Dees Pies Hawks and Tigers at the G when it’s their home games. Pretty simple even for those with limited intellect. As for some out there who believe it’s a hindrance to play at home. What utter rubbish... especially when they try to convince you with our finals record at the G. We are 3-5 in the Big one in my lifetime. We didn’t lose them or win them because of our familiarity with the G. We won because we were better team on the day and lost because we weren’t.
Anyway my RANT is over.
Cheers Boys!
Go CATTERS!

Our home ground doesn’t gaurantee wins. GWS were good enough to come down here and beat us. If you are good enough, you will.

Agreed... But our probability of winning goes up by 30% IMO. So why give opposition teams the gift of playing their away games vs Geelong at their home grounds and negatively impact our winning probability percentage %. Crazy . Don’t get fooled by the media controlled by Gilligan and his band of fools which includes Eddie Everywhere and his 3-4 leeches from the other Melbourne clubs who think it’s beneath them to travel down to sleepy hollow... Pfft... Arrogant Fookers!! It’s all about making the eight with the Top 2 a yearly goal (well at least the top 4). From there anything can happen.
Let’s not be sheep . See thru the AFL tripe.
CHEERS

Unless we are getting home finals in Geelong (won’t happen), I don’t see the point in 11 KP games. We are much better off dropping down our KP games to 7 and having more MCG games to give ourselves better experience there.

The club wants 11 so we finish higher, which is pointless if we continue to s**t the bed in finals. The more MCG games the better IMO.

I would think a key reason the club wants 11 home games at our home ground is because basically every other team actually gets 11 home games at their respective home grounds and the MCG isn't our home ground

We played 5 games at the MCG during the season & have a training venue the same dimensions - surely that does give us experience, it's not like we are an interstate team who plays there once or twice per season and then it's a totally new experience come finals.

Then there's the little fact about it being more financially beneficial for the club to play games at GMHBA. Playing home games at the MCG can actually cost the club money, and the MCG crowd attendance to breakeven financially with a standard GMHBA game is ridiculous at around 80k. If we increase our "home" games at the MCG - the AFL would most likely schedule any 3rd or 4th Melb home game at Marvel anyway, it would put financial pressure on the club; I was reading that in 2016 when we had 2 home games at Marvel it cost the club between $1 million & $1.5 million to host those games.

From earlier this year:
It is a well-known and repeated statement from the club that Geelong makes far more money from a home game at GMHBA Stadium than any game at Marvel, and that the club would need 80,000 people to turn up to the MCG to get near the financial return of playing at home in Geelong.

Full article from The Mongrel Punt is available here - https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/05/14/catshomefinal

MY REQUEST
11 Home Games
Away Games.
1 WA
1 SA
1 NSW
1 QLD
1 TASSI
6 AT THE G
Pies, Tigers, Dee's Hawks, Ess and Carlton.(all tenants )
IF THE HAWKS COME TO GEELONG WE SHOULD BE PREPARED TO GO TO TASSI

Looks good to me - can we add in a clause for no back to back interstate trips, no interstate trips off the back of a 5 day break and we play a home game at GMHBA after the mid-season bye

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MY REQUEST
11 Home Games
Away Games.
1 WA
1 SA
1 NSW
1 QLD
1 TASSI
6 AT THE G

I'm more than happy to head to Canberra, Darwin, Alice Springs, Launceston or Hobart as part of our six interstate matches. Most likely we'd have a 3-3 or 4-2 split between the G and Marvel though given it's the primary ground of the Dogs, Saints and North, and a split home ground of the Bombers and Blues. Again, I'd be happy with that. With Deakin readily available throughout the season we can make up the one or two games not at the G with some extra training sessions away from KP

For example, I'd be pleased with this fixture:

11 @ GMHBA
6 @ Interstate (WA, SA, NSW, QLD, TAS, NT, ACT)
3 @ MCG (home of Carl, Coll, Ess, Haw, Rich)
3 @ Marvel (home of Carl, Ess, NM, St K, WB)

MY REQUEST
11 Home Games
Away Games.
1 WA
1 SA
1 NSW
1 QLD
1 TASSI
6 AT THE G
You can't pick and chose where you play away games, otherwise you give the right for Hawks/Pies/Tigers to ask for us to play home games at the G.

We play 11 games at KP and 11 games away wherever the AFL sends us.

Love how all this positive press is coming out right after another prelim loss and all the backlash.

11 games - should keep on requesting regardless of whether it is a chance or not. We will not change the media narrative if we request games at the G and the only things that the AFL care about are $$ and PR

Like they do in every other major competitions around the world. Be it the EPL NBA NFL MLB NHL NRL . Play home games at HOME. Do u ever here of Everton playing home games at Anfield home of Liverpool coz they can fit an extra 20,000 spectators in?? Y not it’s only 30kms away?? No... ditto with the Yankees and Mets... Giants and Athletics... Cubs and White Sox? Man U and Man City?? No... not a hope in hell. That is what home and away game seasons are about. How many people just don’t understand basic principles of this?? It is grade 5 type of stuff. Not hard to work out... but somehow those (The AFL) have tried to convince the punters that’s it’s all about fan access ... more fans to the game... blah blah... Collingwood leading the chorus with the Dawks Tigers Bombers all giving Gilligan wrap arounds to keep the silly folk down the highway and convince them it’s in our best interests for us to play at the G... what a load of *******. We will play the Dees Pies Hawks and Tigers at the G when it’s their home games. Pretty simple even for those with limited intellect. As for some out there who believe it’s a hindrance to play at home. What utter rubbish... especially when they try to convince you with our finals record at the G. We are 3-5 in the Big one in my lifetime. We didn’t lose them or win them because of our familiarity with the G. We won because we were better team on the day and lost because we weren’t.
Anyway my RANT is over.
Cheers Boys!
Go CATTERS!

BRILLIANT rant. Needed to be said.
There simply is ZERO EQUITY in this comp.
Next I'll get on my hobby horse about each team playing each team home and away, 34 games.
Will never happen, but we should definitely get ALL our home games at Geelong.

Unless we are getting home finals in Geelong (won’t happen), I don’t see the point in 11 KP games. We are much better off dropping down our KP games to 7 and having more MCG games to give ourselves better experience there.

The club wants 11 so we finish higher, which is pointless if we continue to s**t the bed in finals. The more MCG games the better IMO.
But we don't s**t the bed because of the G. We have had amazing success there when we are an awesome team, but the very fact that we need to score 2-3 goals more at the G to break even with their tenants there is the point, currently. Why not just play HOME games at home? That is what home means.

Itll never happen but how about instead of just whinging about not having home finals why not refuse to play and strike?

Would make things a tad interesting for that fker gill

A bit like the school kids wagging school sorry striking?

We’d definitely be accused of throwing the toys out of the cot at that point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A bit like the school kids wagging school sorry striking?

We’d definitely be accused of throwing the toys out of the cot at that point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The more i think about it the more i think its a ******* brilliant idea tbh.

But like i said, it'll never happen.

Ideally you want a few home games at the G but I think it is wise to ask for 11 home games at KP because otherwise the Melbourne home games will end up at Docklands soon anyway.

Our MCG crowds at home games in the H&A have been crap for a while.

Last home game against each team:

Hawks 53k
Dons 63k
Tigers 46k
Pies 46k

I'd rather change our home ground to the G so we can actually win there consitantly when it matters. Our whole game plan is different at KP vs the G

Even if that's at a financial expense to the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back