2020 season review- fu** covid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
This season will always have an asterix against it for me, the players from all clubs whilst taking pay cuts have had to live a pretty stingent life compared to most, except for us living in Victoria, don't under estimate how tough it is mentally to basically be told you cant go anywhere or doing anything, even after last nights loss they now have to go back into quarantine for a week because they played for 2 hours against another team who like the Eagles have been under strict conditions and were being tested regularly, that is a ******* ridiculous decision by the government in WA. Such a shame the state premiers around the country have decided to use the virus for political gain.

Personally i have struggled to watch a lot of the footy this year, and for the first time in a long time, found myself not watching games due to the poor quality, and the compromised season.

Our players particularly struggled with challenges of the season mentally more than other clubs, we have been hero's at home, and mice away, our visits to QLD have been poor, their is no getting around that, the first trip was terrible, we only beat crows, Freo and Swans, came home and had a winning streak, but other than the Pies and Freo games, we were hot and cold during the rest, Giants game was an unconvincing win and the writing was on the wall where this season was going, we had quite a few games were we didn't bother the scoreboard for a quarter, the second trip to the hub was not much better, the win against the Saints showed what we were capable of if we wanted to put the effort, but far to often we were only interested on the odd occasion when it suited us, it has been like that now for two years, and the last game against the Roo's was a terrible way to finish the regular season.

Once injuries hit our depth was shown for what it is poor, especially in the midfield, our midfield is ageing , with most near or around 30. We have zero speed in there, and the only bloke that has any speed-Petch could not get a kick at the burley factory, even the next ones through do not seem to be quick. That should be our priority over the next few years, looking for some speed. The only real speed we have in their right now is Shuey and his hammies are starting to let him down. Sheed-Redden-Gaff and Kelly are not quick and whilst they can accumalate they can get burnt once we turn it over.

It's not all doom and gloom however, and i'll be the first to admit i did not see Ryan being as good as he has become, if he is not top two in the B&F this year, something is drastically wrong. He would be great in the middle if he could build a tank to play there full time, but then we would be robbing our forward line of his talents.

Waterman could be the next Adam Hunter, switching between back and forward, he also has some spunk about him, Oscar is going to be a superstar in the years to come, and it might go against popular opinion but i also think Brander will be a very good footballer in time, just need to find the right spot for him. Rotham will be a good replacement for Hurn eventually.

Duggan should be our next captain, and i was disappointed he was not in the leadership group this year, kid is tough as hell and that is how a leader should be.

One thing we do know our club won't settle for being middle of the road for to long.

So in short " * covid ", and let's hope 2021 is a better year.

Last edited:
I, like you pretty much wrote the season off once everything got shut down, players took pay cuts, staff getting axed left and right, everyone moving to Queensland. If we went deep then we went deep, if we didn't then whatever, I also found it kinda difficult to watch the footy as well, just didn't feel the same to me.

Besides a couple of games here and there I thought we were pretty average this year, often falling behind by big margins and having to force our way back into it. Not very switched on this year, for probably obvious reasons.

Can put it down to two things. The opening hub where we were the guinea pigs and the returning hub where we lost everyone to injury and lost all momentum. Specifically the entire starting midfield. Losing them all for a big stretch and then bringing them back in having not played together in a while was never going to go well but we still only lost by a point and had our chances to win. If we got through this week I think we would’ve seen a change of gear. Next week would’ve been a similar 50/50 but with an extra game under our belts then if we got through that I would just about be pencilling it in. We were inconsistent all year for sure but I don’t think we deserved a first round exit.. Absolutely no way we were worse than Saints and Collingwood over the course of the season. I think realistically our ladder position probably reflected well. Us and Geelong are about on par and the other 3 are a step up.

never got into the year.

the wins at home felt like wallpaper over cracks.

Needed everything to go our way at all times to go anywhere this year.

See how we go next year but we need to improve the way the midfield go about things.

Seem stagnant and happy with ourselves since 18'

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Happy it is over - mostly garbage games, pathetic commentary and ridiculous umpiring across the comp. Throw in some moronic state governments and the AFL imposed stupidity and it looked like players were not, training!

Couldn't agree more, that game last night had this in spades and it leads to a very bad headache way too early into the game. :tongueclosed:

We were in it up to our eyeballs and the kindest thing you could say is we were just super unlucky. In the back half of the year we only lost to Richmond off a four day break (which is an absolute joke) and the dogs after a dodgy ARC review. We also copped 5 games in 18 days to ensure we hit finals with our squad in the worst possible shape. We then played a cracking game against a good team and were very unlucky to lose with a host of key umpiring decisions going against us. Thought our team selection was shocking as well.

My one huge positive is Duggan. With our midfield looking really poor in depth, I think we have unearthed something special with him. I no longer see him as a dime a dozen flanker, he is a tough hardnut who can play in the guts.

This offseason we must persist with this if our midfield is to have any chance in the future when Shuey, redden and co retire.

2020 summed up in 2 words: underperformed again.

We know we have a list that can challenge for a flag because we already got one out of it. The fact that we failed to finish in the Top 4 again and got bundled out of finals early again is becoming a worrying trend. Workrate, especially from the midfield group, is considerably down on two years ago. The team as a whole has not been able to string together 4 complete quarters of football for 2 years. When stuff isnt going our way, whether on or off field, the club has developed a concerning trend of sooking about it (see: this year's hub life) and we should not be tolerating that.

FWIW I think we are putting a bit too much emphasis on "friends and family" and not enough emphasis on "flags". I understand why due to the mid 2000s, and im not saying we should be going out and recruiting a star mid with a drug problem to fix it, but we need someone in the playing group/ coaching group who is willing to apply the blowtorch to the team and point out when we arent pulling our weight, not this "softly, softly" approach the club portrays to the media. With guys like Mitchell and Lycett gone we have lost our campaigner spirit and are fast becoming a team of dads who are looking for a friendly kick-around.

If we dont start 2021 with a bit of fire in the belly I will be deeply upset.

Seventh place just doesn’t feel right given the great seasons we got out of most key players, but I have to concede that this comp has some very strong sides and we just weren’t up with them this year.

Looking forward to a stronger campaign in 2021 as Kelly settles in and Duggan & Ryan hit their prime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grateful to have the season but the 16 minute quarters were a huge fail for me. No way long enough to balance out the umpiring inconsistencies that will always be inherent to the game, not to mention ticket prices not accommodating for the change either.

The Footy-Fiesta got old pretty quick too and killed my interest in dreamteam entirely in trying to keep up.

Doing arvo shift I missed probably 70% of the season as most games were during the week at night.

When I checked the Scores when I got home most of the time it was 7 goals to 4 and didnt bother watching any replays.

Just garbage all round. Rushing the season through to make a few bucks.

Wouldve preferred the season got canned after rd1.

It is what it is

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

My one huge positive is Duggan. With our midfield looking really poor in depth, I think we have unearthed something special with him. I no longer see him as a dime a dozen flanker, he is a tough hardnut who can play in the guts.

This offseason we must persist with this if our midfield is to have any chance in the future when Shuey, redden and co retire.
shuey to go more to the forward line and duggs to bulk up some and into the guts

Yeah despite the AFL pumping this year up it was the biggest shambles of a year ever. Corona virus ****ed everything up. After the shutdown we managed to get a shortened train wreck of a season away with 2x footy frenzies of ****ed footy. In amongst a string of injuries to key players in the last 4 weeks we fell into 5th after our worst start to a year since 2013 where we won 1 out of the first 6. That year we sacked Woosha and finished 13th and lost 9 games at Subi. So if the basis of comparison was 2013 we did well. But it's not. We were in the premiership window and time is running out for JK(33) and to a lesser extent NicNat (30), Gaff (28) and Shep (29). We brought Tim Kelly to win flags every year that we don't achieve this is a fail so this year is a fail. Tim didn't play as he did at Geelong but we will see in the next 5 if he was worth it. Looks like this draft will be heavily compromised so I am not expecting much from our draft crop this year. We only get stronger by being ruthless and justifying the arrogance with performance. We aren't the Meek Eagles. I have faith in the boys and the coaching staff which was born out by the rise between 2016 and 2018. Up the Coasters!!!

Said it yesterday

I would like to get more of the Redden, Duggan and Cole influence in there (the midfield), just miserable, in your face, can't breathe, stoppage after stoppage grind for more of the game - run harder towards a pack than away, make the 05 swans look like pansies who are afraid of the gritty stuff.

It's what makes Yeo so valuable, one of our best attacking mids but also one of the best tacklers in the game.

Going forward you can tell Simpson is really thinking about field position, the web used to be able to lock down the opposition r50 and have a monster differential for i50. We finished 148% that year and haven't come close to it since.

What would I do? Address our overabundance of 'freedom' players, the creative types who do the flashy things more often and to a much higher standard than others.

Shuey and Kelly aren't improving each others game, quite the opposite really. Much the way Gaff and Sheed have struggled in the same side.

Any one or two of them as the attacking mid (probably Gaff + x) will result in AA level performances. All 4 together? Not quite enough attack or defense.

Something has to rebalance the midfield balance, the backline will benefit by more pressure up the ground and the forward line will be able to manage off low opportunity given the talent.

Tell the AFL to * off if we have to hub first, especially if we have a condensed hub again at the end of the season.

It lead us to getting injuries at the wrong time of the season and killed our momentum leading into finals.

s**t year for footy, didn't win a flag for a variety of reasons.
It's just a game though and I didn't die of covid so it wasn't all bad.
My life is pretty much as normal and as much as a few people here whinge about our politicians footy and life in general would have been much worse if we were saddled with morons like Trump, Bojo and I suspect Morrison if he hadn't of been reined in by the Premiers.
Be thankful for what we have.
Roll on 2021 although I don't think that will be a normal footy year either.

Definite second half of 90s vibes at the moment. The last two seasons we were unlucky contender no.5 and didn't go far in finals. It was the Bulldogs loss when I felt that it just wasn't going to be our year. We were extremely lucky that the Richmond H&A game was postponed, a real sliding doors moment in the context of our season. I'm nervy about our list going forward, as while we have a number of good younger players, I think we'll eventually fall in a vanilla heap and lack eliteness in various positions and age groups. Look at Sydney and Hawthorn right now. Other than collapsing in the final month of 2013, we've been a respectable side for 10 years now, so overdue.

Still, nice to get knocked out of finals whilst playing well for once. The selection table was our biggest clanger really (Petch and Ah Chee omg!), but we played better than any other finals exit I can remember. 2019 was a disappointing edging by the Cats days after the Rioli news broke. 2017 we had nothing left in the tank against the Giants despite beating them there a couple weeks earlier, the meh addendum to the extra-time win over Port. 2016 at the time (before the rest of that finals series) was atrocious, back in form then pantsed at home by a hobbled, scrappy dogs who just wanted it more. Bitter exit given the GF choke the season prior. 2012 edged. 2011 smashed. 2007 straight-sets extra-time goneskis star players past & present. 2005 GF we had a pretty bad 22 on the day. 2004 smashed in storm. 2003 smashed. 2002 smashed. 1999 Blues boilover away home final. 1998 Woosha spared a belting. 1997 bad final quarter. 1996 smashed in away home final. 1995 smashed. 1993 oh hi Bombers. 1991 bad final quarter. 1990 smashed in first prelim. I think you have to go back to our very first final in 1988 for a finals exit that filled me with as much pride and the sense that we left a fair bit out on the field. Always disappointing to lose a 5v8, but against the Pies it was always going to be a thriller. I was admittedly more desperate for the Lions to overcome the Tigers than for us to get over the line against the Pies.

... We were extremely lucky that the Richmond H&A game was postponed, a real sliding doors moment in the context of our season.
Disagree. Think we were extremely unlucky that game was postponed. Richmond were still terrible at that point, and would have had to same-day travel from VIC to play us. Pretty sure we’d have beaten them if we played based on that first fixturing, rather than the ridiculous short turnaround.

Its that groundball, time and time and time again, both over the weekend and throughout the season, that kills us. During the season, the opposition players swarm to the ball once it hits the turf and for some reason, our boys stand around in a ring and nobody is going to get it. It's like a remnant from the Priddis days where everyone left it up to him as our designated extractor, only now it's being left to Yeo.

Its really not that hard lads, when the ball hits the deck, go after the damn thing! For the last few seasons, we have been one of the worst ranked teams in the league for it, and unsurprisingly, we finally fixed it up in the 2018 finals series when we won the flag.

I would love for Dylan82 to do a video analysis on this one day to demonstrate just how poor at this we actually are

Remove this Banner Ad

Back