2020 season review- fu** covid

Remove this Banner Ad

Definite second half of 90s vibes at the moment. The last two seasons we were unlucky contender no.5 and didn't go far in finals. It was the Bulldogs loss when I felt that it just wasn't going to be our year. We were extremely lucky that the Richmond H&A game was postponed, a real sliding doors moment in the context of our season. I'm nervy about our list going forward, as while we have a number of good younger players, I think we'll eventually fall in a vanilla heap and lack eliteness in various positions and age groups. Look at Sydney and Hawthorn right now. Other than collapsing in the final month of 2013, we've been a respectable side for 10 years now, so overdue.

Still, nice to get knocked out of finals whilst playing well for once. The selection table was our biggest clanger really (Petch and Ah Chee omg!), but we played better than any other finals exit I can remember. 2019 was a disappointing edging by the Cats days after the Rioli news broke. 2017 we had nothing left in the tank against the Giants despite beating them there a couple weeks earlier, the meh addendum to the extra-time win over Port. 2016 at the time (before the rest of that finals series) was atrocious, back in form then pantsed at home by a hobbled, scrappy dogs who just wanted it more. Bitter exit given the GF choke the season prior. 2012 edged. 2011 smashed. 2007 straight-sets extra-time goneskis star players past & present. 2005 GF we had a pretty bad 22 on the day. 2004 smashed in storm. 2003 smashed. 2002 smashed. 1999 Blues boilover away home final. 1998 Woosha spared a belting. 1997 bad final quarter. 1996 smashed in away home final. 1995 smashed. 1993 oh hi Bombers. 1991 bad final quarter. 1990 smashed in first prelim. I think you have to go back to our very first final in 1988 for a finals exit that filled me with as much pride and the sense that we left a fair bit out on the field. Always disappointing to lose a 5v8, but against the Pies it was always going to be a thriller. I was admittedly more desperate for the Lions to overcome the Tigers than for us to get over the line against the Pies.
Rebuilds are a fact of the system and shouldn't be feared. When our time comes (sooner rather than later) the most important thing is that we will already have a group of talented players in place, especially KPP. We'll use our time at the bottom of the ladder to grab some gun mids and off we go.

I expect Sydney to be back challenging in a season or two, as they are in a similar spot. Hawks could be in trouble, as they need KPP and they take years to develop.

Played his best game of the season as the only recognised mid against the Saints so I think you are way off the mark.

Without that game we would've said he had a very average year. Has to bounce back next year.

Back on COVID and season 2020, some of the griping on here is unbelievable. Every team copped compressed fixtures and extreme disruption to training schedules, reserves matches etc. At least we got a run of home games. Every team put their hand up to make sacrifices (including financial) for the sake of any sort of comp getting played out. Count me as one who is grateful for the comp we got to have.

Whether we would've performed any better in a 'regular' situation I can't say. Too many of the same issues from 2019 persisted.

* year.

One big negative was the short 1/4's. We like to grind teams down and with the momentum we were having v the Pies on the weekend if it were longer i would be confident we would have won.

Some positives:

- We still played finals and got finals experience for our young brigade.

- Oscar Allen: Playing a role he was never drafted for and also had a big impact forward.

- Improvements and extra responsibilities in these players: Nelson, Cole, Duggan, Rotham & Waterman. Have all improved and not gone backwards.

- Liam Ryan: Improvement was massive. Can play to a high standard on the road and at home.

-Got to try out players and see if they are capable because of the compressed fixture and injuries that happened at the wrong time.

Rebuilds are a fact of the system and shouldn't be feared. When our time comes (sooner rather than later) the most important thing is that we will already have a group of talented players in place, especially KPP. We'll use our time at the bottom of the ladder to grab some gun mids and off we go.

I expect Sydney to be back challenging in a season or two, as they are in a similar spot. Hawks could be in trouble, as they need KPP and they take years to develop.
Yes, I'm completely agreed there. I've been through 2 rebuilds now and hope this one is a bit cleaner. Like I said, we're overdue for a dip.

I also rate Sydney's youth very highly, expect them back in 48 months.

Definite second half of 90s vibes at the moment. The last two seasons we were unlucky contender no.5 and didn't go far in finals. It was the Bulldogs loss when I felt that it just wasn't going to be our year. We were extremely lucky that the Richmond H&A game was postponed, a real sliding doors moment in the context of our season. I'm nervy about our list going forward, as while we have a number of good younger players, I think we'll eventually fall in a vanilla heap and lack eliteness in various positions and age groups. Look at Sydney and Hawthorn right now. Other than collapsing in the final month of 2013, we've been a respectable side for 10 years now, so overdue.

Still, nice to get knocked out of finals whilst playing well for once. The selection table was our biggest clanger really (Petch and Ah Chee omg!), but we played better than any other finals exit I can remember. 2019 was a disappointing edging by the Cats days after the Rioli news broke. 2017 we had nothing left in the tank against the Giants despite beating them there a couple weeks earlier, the meh addendum to the extra-time win over Port. 2016 at the time (before the rest of that finals series) was atrocious, back in form then pantsed at home by a hobbled, scrappy dogs who just wanted it more. Bitter exit given the GF choke the season prior. 2012 edged. 2011 smashed. 2007 straight-sets extra-time goneskis star players past & present. 2005 GF we had a pretty bad 22 on the day. 2004 smashed in storm. 2003 smashed. 2002 smashed. 1999 Blues boilover away home final. 1998 Woosha spared a belting. 1997 bad final quarter. 1996 smashed in away home final. 1995 smashed. 1993 oh hi Bombers. 1991 bad final quarter. 1990 smashed in first prelim. I think you have to go back to our very first final in 1988 for a finals exit that filled me with as much pride and the sense that we left a fair bit out on the field. Always disappointing to lose a 5v8, but against the Pies it was always going to be a thriller. I was admittedly more desperate for the Lions to overcome the Tigers than for us to get over the line against the Pies.
100%

Feels like 95-99

Few older guys holding on.
Few young guys look ok
Few young guys look meh.

Hovering around that 4-9 spot all year every year.

Gonna take a dip or spike at some point.

Hopefully we can snag 1 more flag in the next year or 2 before we go the other way.

Geelong fans would feel the same except they have blown a LOT of top 4 chances and not even made GFs since 2011.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know its after the fact but I never really pictured us beating Geelong anyway.

Cant see anyone other than Port/Rich or Bris being premiers this year.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon we would have beaten Geelong, only based on my perceptions before the Elim final. I now think we have real problems with translating talent into success. Not sure what the issue is. Coaching? In the head? heart? Playing for your mates?

I'm wondering what they do with Brendan Ah Chee next year. If he stays on.

16/18 games this year.
6 goals
155 disposals @ less than 10 a game average.
26 tackles @ less than 2 a game.

I mean really, we rubbish Petrucelle but this guy is 26.

I'm wondering what they do with Brendan Ah Chee next year. If he stays on.

16/18 games this year.
6 goals
155 disposals @ less than 10 a game average.
26 tackles @ less than 2 a game.

I mean really, we rubbish Petrucelle but this guy is 26.
AhChee is an almost player. He almost does amazing things several times a game but just fumbles at the wrong time. If he was a one touch player he would be very good but he isn't. At least he impacts contests but, he is hard. Petri does nothing unless he gets the ball in the clear.
Neither are much good tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back