Review 2020 Season/Club Review

Yeah he is based in QLD but we could contract him for a period of time conduct an audit/review of the club. Fly him down for two weeks to do the work.
That's essentially what Mike Hussey did with Cricket South Australia

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah he is based in QLD but we could contract him for a period of time conduct an audit/review of the club. Fly him down for two weeks to do the work.

Lyon talking to Worsfold as a starting point would be interesting; seems experienced enough and no-bullshit enough to give a fairly honest appraisal of where the club is at internally.

The rumours we hear occasionally about internal discontent could be more about Worsfold and co trying to drag this club out of the clutches of the old guard (e.g. coterie groups) and in to the modern world, with some players not liking that their position in the new order might be jeopardised by actual expectations.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure this is the way to go. It's just more of the same.

Would much rather be listening to Ross Lyon at this point in time or even Roos.

Someone who can hold what we do to the blow torch of the guys who were instrumental in setting up the modern game.

The others are all still coaching.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon

Someone who can hold what we do to the blow torch of the guys who were instrumental in setting up the modern game.

I love listening to Lyon, as pragmatic a man as there is in football, dry as a chip too. Like a Malthouse without the histrionics and bitter snarky streak.

Reckon in the footy landscape he strips everything of emotion and just says what needs to be said

Just what we need.

Ross Lyon. Director of coaching. Works for me but the trouble is we are reducing staff numbers and not adding . I was in the Ross Lyon as coach camp before the "plan" was announced.

What annoys me about the board is we have Madden and Wellman on the board . Both good footy people but you never hear from them.
At this point of time we have two football blokes and 8 business people on the board. Now you need the business people on the board and a few are footy followers but maybe a bit unbalanced at the moment.

What annoys me about the board is we have Madden and Wellman on the board . Both good footy people but you never hear from them.
At this point of time we have two football blokes and 8 business people on the board. Now you need the business people on the board and a few are footy followers but maybe a bit unbalanced at the moment.
There are guidelines about the backgrounds and experience that we want/need on the board. It has a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 2 past players and both must have some other type of experience.

Agree it's odd we don't hear from literally any of them atm though. The closest I've seen to public comment is Katio Lio's twitter account.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
There are guidelines about the backgrounds and experience that we want/need on the board. It has a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 2 past players and both must have some other type of experience.

Agree it's odd we don't hear from literally any of them atm though. The closest I've seen to public comment is Katio Lio's twitter account.

I'd have thought boards should be seen and not heard apart from the chairman who speaks for them all?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I think you underestimate how disliked he is by the rank and file Essendon fan. It just would not take.

Some things can't happen, I'm a generally rational guy but I wouldn't tune in to watch him, I'd disconnect totally. Unless it's a 4d chess way to get our Brownlow back..
perhaps he is, but he was my favourite player in the comp (along with Pendles) for a long while. So clean by hand and he set amazing standards for a guy who was short and slow.

the whole "essendon" thing needs to stop.
i.e. Harvey is stoppages coach. why? And by and large we're terrible at it.
Joel Corey has been released as Dogs' stoppages coach. Same guy was there as they built to their premiership and worked their midfield. the same midfield that has demolished ours time and again.

Will we approach Corey and replace Harvey with him? Unlikely the question is even pondered

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
Luke Hodge could be another good option as a recent player with vast experience and success.

Said this a few times in passing over the last 18 months. Hodge is impressive and subtly gives gold as a commentator from his time as part of the Hawks design. Also I suspect he had quite a bit to do with Brisbanes rapid organic growth...

Another one i reckon would be a very good implementer of system and modern strategy is Jimmy Bartel.

The problem is and I reckon Woosha fell to this and checked out, is the higher up faceless influences and meddling.

Jesse Custer

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 28, 2008
Melwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Sam Mitchell is disliked yes. But I'm willing to wager the masses will love him if he brings back ruthlessness and success. And we all know that is what exactly we need.

What is this bullshit? Being driven by Robbo.

We don’t need Sheedy.

What exactly is wrong with these people? They’re like the Carlton people who insisted Walls be involved again. Seriously, what is wrong with them?

Yep this is being pushed by people outside the club. Turning to Sheedy (the old figure that was once successful) Goddard ( the visibly emotional leader that they relate their own feelings to).

We need A Sheedy, but not THE Sheedy

Find the next version

If all we are going for is an operations type role, is there any reason not to explore either someone in another code in Aus?

Or send our group to some of the overseas Soccer, NFL, basketball teams for guidance at least? Focus on some of the more boring pieces, reporting lines, scouting, communication.

Falcon27

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Ross Lyon. Director of coaching. Works for me but the trouble is we are reducing staff numbers and not adding . I was in the Ross Lyon as coach camp before the "plan" was announced.
Worsfold will be gone, and that's probably the best part of a $1mill gone. Dont think Rutten will be getting anywhere near that.
Then Harvey and Jordan should go as well. That would make numbers and dollars down, and room for Ross the Boss.

Worsfold will be gone, and that's probably the best part of a $1mill gone. Dont think Rutten will be getting anywhere near that.
Then Harvey and Jordan should go as well. That would make numbers and dollars down, and room for Ross the Boss.
We have to cut 30% out of the football department soft cap by next year.

Went from 9.7 to 8.7 for 2020 in about April and drops to 6.7 for next year.

This is why I don’t like these “plans”. I understand why in some ways in that they identify and want to ensure next stays. But why not just have a quiet word and say John’ leaving in a year you will be ‘strongly considered’?

By locking in a plan you are bypassing interview process, locking in a rookie coach and most importantly cutting off the possibility that the best man may be available whether you consider that to be Lyon, Clarkson or someone else. Why cut yourself out to having the best candidate available?

That’s not a go at Rutten, I’m in the it’s a bad year to have injuries camp and a lot was out of his control ...but again why put ourselves in this position?

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
This is why I don’t like these “plans”. I understand why in some ways in that they identify and want to ensure next stays. But why not just have a quiet word and say John’ leaving in a year you will be ‘strongly considered’?

By locking in a plan you are bypassing interview process, locking in a rookie coach and most importantly cutting off the possibility that the best man may be available whether you consider that to be Lyon, Clarkson or someone else. Why cut yourself out to having the best candidate available?

That’s not a go at Rutten, I’m in the it’s a bad year to have injuries camp and a lot was out of his control ...but again why put ourselves in this position?

I can see why the allure was there

They went into the succession plan with the erroneous assumption that success was a part of it.

Sure the etymology is sound, it has to work! I mean it's not called an unsuccession plan, is it?

I can see why the allure was there

They went into the succession plan with the erroneous assumption that success was a part of it.

Sure the etymology is sound, it has to work! I mean it's not called an unsuccession plan, is it?
It would be like a big club in soccer promising a rookie manager the job in a year or two and Jurgen Klopp becomes available or Bill Belichick in NFL. Why cut yourself off to that possibility?

I agree. Even a candidate you may not select can possibly give you some insight into something you may not have considered about the club in his presentation.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree. Even a candidate you may not select can possibly give you some insight into something you may not have considered about the club in his presentation.
Many deny that Adelaide sniffing around saw us panic and go early on Rutten. Whats your take on that?

Back