Injury 2020 SJOGHCIR

Remove this Banner Ad

Pulsedriver

All Australian
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
WC don't require Yeo against Norf. Will likely win an elimination final without him, so I think WC should hold him back until the semi-final.

“So guys, any word on when you’re expecting Yeo back?”

Gary Stocks:
c570034bfb5bc7158d116ff37216268a.jpg

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
McGovern
Influential backman Jeremy McGovern is a chance to return alongside several other West Coast stars for the club’s first final, while Dom Sheed and Brendon Ah Chee should be available for Thursday night’s round 18 showdown with North Melbourne.

Yeo:
“Elliot is running. He’s on a separate program, more of a rehab running program to keep him fit and slowly building.

“It’s probably more frustrating for him and for us that we haven’t quite elevated to where we need to be at the moment, so he won’t play against North and we’ll keep assessing week by week.”

Last edited:

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Under Vozzo's eye. In SJOG we trust.
"West Coast’s midfield depth has been tested recently but skipper Luke Shuey (hamstring), Jack Redden (thumb), Elliot Yeo (groin) and Mark Hutchings (hamstring) are targeting the first final."
That would be quite an influx of talent if we get them all back.

Can't help but get the feeling we have seen the last of Yeo. Ever since the injury happened there has been lots of smoke and mirrors, and shifting time frames for his return.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Can't help but get the feeling we have seen the last of Yeo. Ever since the injury happened there has been lots of smoke and mirrors, and shifting time frames for his return.
Hmmmm, I'm leaning toward the same thing. We should be able to cope if we have Kelly, Shuey, redden and sheed available. Might allow Kelly to keep playing the role from the saints game too.

Nov 12, 2006
Subiaco, Perth WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC
100%

OP is a nasty injury and chronic if not managed right. We are a slim chance in 2020, no need to set him back for the 2021 campaign.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast

This i agree with.

I am telling you, as someone in the sports medical field, someone in that medical and fitness staff would have made a huge error by getting him to do something ballistic in training (that they shouldn't have done), Yeo has pulled up sore, they scanned him, and went "oh.....s%$t!!!"

Gradually running laps to keep his fitness base up is exactly what he should have been doing in training, along with skills, to begin with. All explosive type of activity should have been reserved for game day.

For him to have pulled up so badly to have experienced such profound inflammation he's missed this much football, someone has made a blunder. Guaranteed.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
This i agree with.

I am telling you, as someone in the sports medical field, someone in that medical and fitness staff would have made a huge error by getting him to do something ballistic in training (that they shouldn't have done), Yeo has pulled up sore, they scanned him, and went "oh.....s%$t!!!"

Gradually running laps to keep his fitness base up is exactly what he should have been doing in training, along with skills, to begin with. All explosive type of activity should have been reserved for game day.

For him to have pulled up so badly to have experienced such profound inflammation he's missed this much football, someone has made a blunder. Guaranteed.

I generally rate our fitness and medical crew very highly.

I wonder if he had been feeling some pain and inflammation prior to the Carlton game and kept it on the down low.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah this didn't sound promising;
“It’s probably more frustrating for him and for us that we haven’t quite elevated to where we need to be at the moment, so he won’t play against North and we’ll keep assessing week by week.”

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah this didn't sound promising;

i.e. there is no timeline for him to return.

The good news is he is up and doing laps, that means that he isn't suffering inflammation.

The problem may very likely be that the OP has sapped him of his power and strength and the build up to playing will be longer than the original 2 week build.

Essentially he has 2.5 weeks before the first final and 3.5 weeks to get ready for the semi final.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
You'd be in the minority 😂😂

Why is that? I know we have had some soft tissue stuff this year, but our injury list is generally in pretty good shape. Compared to clubs like Essendon, Fremantle, even Geelong we do a pretty good job at getting our guys on the park and keeping them there.

I know there was the Shuey debacle, but that was an error in an otherwise good record of injury management.

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
i.e. there is no timeline for him to return.

The good news is he is up and doing laps, that means that he isn't suffering inflammation.

The problem may very likely be that the OP has sapped him of his power and strength and the build up to playing will be longer than the original 2 week build.

Essentially he has 2.5 weeks before the first final and 3.5 weeks to get ready for the semi final.
Yep and Cameron who had OP was out from March 23 to June 17 so 11 weeks roughly which takes him up past the grand final. So who knows.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
That is the nature of the injury- he isnt a robot

No one is saying he is a robot.

I am referring to the fact that bigfooty knew about the injury apparently before Brander did, who filled in for him, and the fact that it was said he would miss around 4 weeks, initial progress was "very good" 2 weeks off legs, 2 week build etc, all the talking points were indicative of him making good progress and yet the time frame for his actual return not matching the way the club had been talking about it.

You generally learn to read between the lines with the Eagles when it comes to things like this. Exact same thing happened with McGovern and his thumb leading in to the Collingwood and Geelong games.

It isn't about thinking our players are robots.

It is simply knowing my club and understanding when West Coast are doing West Coast things.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Why is that? I know we have had some soft tissue stuff this year, but our injury list is generally in pretty good shape. Compared to clubs like Essendon, Fremantle, even Geelong we do a pretty good job at getting our guys on the park and keeping them there.

I know there was the Shuey debacle, but that was an error in an otherwise good record of injury management.

As someone in that industry, this is where we are getting it wrong:

Our guys don't get injured more then other teams, but our capacity to get our boys right once they are injured, is very poor.

Over the last few years, it got the better of me: every time our injury report would come out, i would correlate it to the players injury and see if our predictions were simply being overly optimistic with our return to play timelines.

But if anything, our return to play timelines for our boys were conservative........and yet its still very rare that any of our guys, beat the predicted timeline.

That's not overly optimistic projections, that's poor conservative management.

I have been in the industry for the last 14 years, been to conferences, interacted with AFL medical teams and/or colleagues and friends affiliated with them, and if you asked anyone in that industry where you would rate the eagles medical team, both now, and historically, it would be down the bottom.

And give our connections and our financial resources, that's a worry. As Australia's most profitable sporting club, we should have a medical and fitness team that is the envy of AFL.

At the moment, undoubtedly the best AFL medical and fitness teams are Richmond and Brisbane.

Historically, (last 20 years) Sydney, Hawthorn and Collingwood.

Us, we would barely make the top 10, and that's coming from a friend of mine who has done some consultancy work with some of their players and staff.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

Our guys don't get injured more then other teams, but our capacity to get our boys right once they are injured, is very poor.

Over the last few years, it got the better of me: every time our injury report would come out, i would correlate it to the players injury and see if our predictions were simply being overly optimistic with our return to play timelines.

But if anything, our return to play timelines for our boys were conservative........and yet its still very rare that any of our guys, beat the predicted timeline.

I have been in the industry for the last 14 years, been to conferences, interacted with AFL medical teams and/or colleagues and friends affiliated with them, and if you asked anyone in that industry where you would rate the eagles medical team, both now, and historically, it would be down the bottom.

And give our connections and our financial resources, that's a worry. As Australia's most profitable sporting club, we should have a medical and fitness team that is the envy of AFL.

At the moment, undoubtedly the best AFL medical and fitness teams are Richmond and Brisbane.

Us, we would barely make the top 10, and that's coming from a friend of mine who has done some consultancy work with some of their players and staff.

I'll accept what you say at face value, and generally agree with your assessment of which teams are the best at injury management.

I would also put forward the idea that not suffering injuries is also part of S&C/medical dept job. It isn't just treating and rehabbing injuries when you get them, it is also having the players doing the right things to avoid injury in the first place, and that is something that on the surface, it would appear we are generally good at.

Last edited:
May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast

Give any indication as to why it is that way?

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Didn’t EP or whoever say that Yeo was out for the season? Probably was always the case but they’re trying to keep people’s hopes up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back