Injury 2020 SJOGHCIR

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Didn’t EP or whoever say that Yeo was out for the season? Probably was always the case but they’re trying to keep people’s hopes up
I cant remember who it was but it wasn't me, I was told he'd miss minimum two games but obviously its longer than that now.

I think Yeo will only play this year is if we somehow make a PF and we're desperately short on mids, or a GF in a scenario where doing more damage could be reasoned somewhat with the opportunity to win another medal.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Give any indication as to why it is that way?

Have you ever heard the saying its not what you know, its who you know?

From what my friend alluded to, a lot of these guys (not so much the club doctors/surgeons, but the fitness guys, physios etc) are getting these jobs under the old mates act.

The problem is, whilst you can get away with that in the corporate world, your real abilities get found out pretty quickly when you're operating in the sphere of the AFL, in a medical/fitness sense.

Personally, I have long said that the club should do a cleanout of our high performance team and start again.

And given we have the funds, top of my poaching list would be Melbourne's fitness boss, Darren Burgess. I rate him extremely highly

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

From what my friend alluded to, a lot of these guys (not so much the club doctors/surgeons, but the fitness guys, physios etc) are getting these jobs under the old mates act.

The problem is, whilst you can get away with that in the corporate world, your real abilities get found out pretty quickly when you're operating in the sphere of the AFL, in a medical/fitness sense.

Personally, I have long said that the club should do a cleanout of our high performance team and start again.

And given we have the funds, top of my poaching list would be Melbourne's fitness boss, Darren Burgess. I rate him extremely highly

How long have our S&C guys been in place?

Simmo is a little bit boys club. He seems to have a group of people around him that he knows and trusts, and he tends to like the footy department staff to be people he has worked with previously (Rawlings/Glass/Mitchell/Pratt just off the top of my head).

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
How long have our S&C guys been in place?

Simmo is a little bit boys club. He seems to have a group of people around him that he knows and trusts, and he tends to like the footy department staff to be people he has worked with previously (Rawlings/Glass/Mitchell/Pratt just off the top of my head).
When did Simmo work with Glass prior to him coming back to West Coast?

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Legit question...

Has Burgess's clubs (including EPL) had any success while he's been there?

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
When did Simmo work with Glass prior to him coming back to West Coast?

He was captain of the club when Simmo walked in the door.

Just like Sam Mitchell was captain in 09-10 when Simmo was an assistant coach at Hawthorn.

I was listening to a North podcast with Rawlings. He talked about when he got the job at North and telling Vozzo etc.

He talked about how he expected Simmo to be happy for him and then had some work to do with Simmo when he realised that Simmo's reaction wasn't one of happiness.

Just sayin, Simmo seems to build relationships and then have a very close knit group, and arguably isn't thrilled when they move on.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I cant remember who it was but it wasn't me, I was told he'd miss minimum two games but obviously its longer than that now.

I think Yeo will only play this year is if we somehow make a PF and we're desperately short on mids, or a GF in a scenario where doing more damage could be reasoned somewhat with the opportunity to win another medal.
It was Nameless who originally posted Yeo was out for the year with OP I think.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
People reading way too much into Yeo at the moment. There is absolutely no need to rush him now. Keep building him for the first final. He will be hungry and nasty :cool:

It was Nameless who originally posted Yeo was out for the year with OP I think.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Just like Sam Mitchell was captain in 09-10 when Simmo was an assistant coach at Hawthorn.

I was listening to a North podcast with Rawlings. He talked about when he got the job at North and telling Vozzo etc.

He talked about how he expected Simmo to be happy for him and then had some work to do with Simmo when he realised that Simmo's reaction wasn't one of happiness.

Just sayin, Simmo seems to build relationships and then have a very close knit group, and arguably isn't thrilled when they move on.
Drawing a long bow to argue your point when Glass was at the club with Simmo for not even a season before he retired.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Drawing a long bow to argue your point when Glass was at the club with Simmo for not even a season before he retired.

Glass was just one of about six names I you could use as examples that Simmo tends to move in similar circles and likes to have the same people around him.

It's really just an observation.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast

Surprised Simmo would be angry at Rawlings?

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Legit question...

Has Burgess's clubs (including EPL) had any success while he's been there?

Ultimate success? That's a fair question.

I would have to check, but he may have potentially been part of the team when Arsenal last won the title.

In AFL he went close with the Power, getting to the prelim, but he never won a flag.

Remember that season where the power were outrunning everyone in the league before the other teams caught up? that was his work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Ultimate success? That's a fair question.

I would have to check, but he may have potentially been part of the team when Arsenal last won the title.

In AFL he went close with the Power, getting to the prelim, but he never won a flag.

Remember that season where the power were outrunning everyone in the league before the other teams caught up? that was his work

2004 was Arsenals last title.

The Power year you're referring to was 2014 I think?

Nothing more recent to hang his hat on?

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
2004 was Arsenals last title.

The Power year you're referring to was 2014 I think?

Nothing more recent to hang his hat on?

Unfortunately, it would seem i have nothing more recent to give you. Which is actually a shame, because that guy is very, very, very good at what he does.

He is the very reason a lot of clubs don't do altitude camps any more, because he argued that training in the heat was just as effective. That's why the Port sides when he was in charge did their pre season camp in the UAE instead of places like Colorado.

If i was building a fitness team from scratch, he would be my first pick to run it

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Unfortunately, it would seem i have nothing more recent to give you. Which is actually a shame, because that guy is very, very, very good at what he does.

He is the very reason a lot of clubs don't do altitude camps any more, because he argued that training in the heat was just as effective. That's why the Port sides when he was in charge did their pre season camp in the UAE instead of places like Colorado.

If i was building a fitness team from scratch, he would be my first pick to run it
Training camps is one area where the soft cap really brought things back to reality. Why the hell would you travel all the way to UAE in the northern winter, when you could train in one of the many deserts in Australia during the summer?

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Not expecting Yeo for the year is the best mindset, that way it is a pleasant surprise if he does get picked.

We don't need him to win, but obviously he helps a massive amount.

Good to hear about Cripps, Shuey and Redden being ready though.

Don't expect Gov until the week after, should we be good enough to make it.

Apr 18, 2006
Perth
My feeling (pure guesswork) is that the club and Yeo would not expect him to be able to back up for 4 games in 4 weeks starting with the EF.

On the other hand, if we happen to make it to the PF its a different story - 2 games in 2 weeks.

And there is NO way he is not putting his hand up for that. The excitement would be too much.

My prediction - he will be avail for the second week of finals.

Back