News 2020 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.....Jon Ralph just tweeted this. Wasn't he someone who 5 min ago said Jack Steven wasn't worth a high draft pick?
I have moved on honest.........( I honestly thought it was ok for Jack to move on....but thought a better pick should come our way.)

'In five of the past eight years Jack Steven has more than 13 goals and more than 400 possessions. Plus four best and fairest awards. And isn’t 30. He might not be Tim Kelly but there is an argument he can break as many games open at his best'
Quote Tweet

Superfooty
· 24m
Newly re-signed Cat Tom Atkins says the four-time best-and-fairest winner has already made a seamless transition at the Cattery

@RalphyHeraldSun https://bit.ly/35zVtL6

Just you wait, Jack will win Geelong games and the second he does all the flogs who repeatedly said he’s worth nothing at the trade table will ask ‘how did St Kilda let him go so cheaply? What are they doing down there?’

So.....Jon Ralph just tweeted this. Wasn't he someone who 5 min ago said Jack Steven wasn't worth a high draft pick?
I have moved on honest.........( I honestly thought it was ok for Jack to move on....but thought a better pick should come our way.)

'In five of the past eight years Jack Steven has more than 13 goals and more than 400 possessions. Plus four best and fairest awards. And isn’t 30. He might not be Tim Kelly but there is an argument he can break as many games open at his best'
Quote Tweet

Superfooty
· 24m
Newly re-signed Cat Tom Atkins says the four-time best-and-fairest winner has already made a seamless transition at the Cattery

@RalphyHeraldSun https://bit.ly/35zVtL6

Yep , i'm waiting for Jack to play a few good games, then the media come out with some bullshit like " the cats always find a way to get the player they need" at which case we should play back what Scott was saying about him.

I've moved on, but it'll be something they try to smugly rub our faces in.

He was a part of the furniture at St Kilda, but Jack Newnes is relishing a new lease of life at Carlton. He reveals why he rejected a new Saints contract and what has shocked him at the Blues.
Jack Newnes says he’s as fit as he’s ever been.
Don’t spit out your Cornflakes — he’s not trotting out that tired pre-season cliche.
Rather, Newnes is referring to his mental state, six weeks after leaving St Kilda for Carlton.
He acknowledges everyone says the same thing, but for the pacy winger it’s the truth.

The 26-year-old had crafted an impressive resume at the Saints. Life member, former leadership group member and equal club record holder for consecutive games (123) in a 155-game, eight-year stint.
Jack Newnes is relishing his time in the Navy Blue.
But as Newnes explains to the Herald Sun, he was also desperate for change.
Ever since Newnes arrived at Carlton as a delisted free agent, you can’t wipe the smile off his face.
“I’m loving it, mate,” Newnes says.
“I feel a million bucks. I’m at ground zero again and I’m loving that feeling. I just want to throw myself into everything.”

Newnes’ is a voice laced with excitement, yet tinged with relief.

He is determined not to rubbish his old club, declaring that there were a “number of factors” behind his desire to turn down a contract offer and quit the Saints.
But he does admit the role change from halfback/wing to defensive forward was a factor.
“I was keen to do anything for the team, whether it be forward or as a defensive forward, but ideally that’s not where I wanted to be playing my footy (long term),” he said.
“When things aren’t going great and the team isn’t winning, there’s a lot of pressure and you get thrown around position-wise and things change.
“During the year — probably the last couple of years — my footy hasn’t been to the sort of standard I have wanted. There’s reasons for that.”

Newnes described his relationship with former coach Alan Richardson as “good” and said the arrival of Bradley Hill and Zak Jones among St Kilda’s huge trade haul played only a small part.

“It’s never been a thing of mine to worry about who is coming in. You always back yourself and get to work over the pre-season and earn your spot, which I’m trying to do here,” he said.
“But I guess when you hear things might be going that way (in the trade period) and you finish the year forward as a defensive forward … I had a meeting with the club towards the end of the year and there were probably things mentioned in that meeting where I thought, ‘Well, it’s not for me here’.
“I won’t go into it too far, but I’m here now.”

As Newnes was falling out of love with St Kilda, Carlton caught his eye.
The two clubs clashed for the second time in Round 22, with the Blues making it six wins from 10 games under coach David Teague in front of 51,786.
“It wasn’t a huge crowd, but the noise and the way the Blues supporters got behind the boys was pretty special,” he said.
Jack Newnes holds record for the most consecutive games played at the Saints.
“Stuff like that resonated with me. I know it’s a massive club, the supporter base is unbelievable and it’s got a great history.”
Newnes sat down with Carlton — coach David Teague, former GM of list management Stephen Silvagni, football manager Brad Lloyd and list manager Mick Agresta — late in October’s trade period.
After a solid start to pre-season, he is dreaming of a wing/halfback role next year, but knows a starting berth won’t come easy.
“It was a bit of a shock to be honest — the competitiveness among the young brigade and how much they want it. It’s been ‘game on’ from the word go,” he said.
“When I was at my previous club you could tell who had come back a bit out of shape or who wasn’t training as well, but here you can’t find one.
“The leaders are very strong leaders … but then there’s the up-and-coming guys.
“Personally, I think Jacob Weitering is setting himself up for something pretty big.
“Even guys like Liam Jones — because you’ve played against them you don’t understand how they go about it.
“I’m just so pumped to be here and just want to get to the season now.”
Essentially he is saying he realised (after his exit meeting with Ratts) with Hill and Jones coming in, the small chance he had at playing seniors was as a defensive forward so he found a club he could play wing/half back at.

And then he blows smoke up Carlton supporters asses like any good new recruit does.

He was a part of the furniture at St Kilda, but Jack Newnes is relishing a new lease of life at Carlton. He reveals why he rejected a new Saints contract and what has shocked him at the Blues.
Jack Newnes says he’s as fit as he’s ever been.
Don’t spit out your Cornflakes — he’s not trotting out that tired pre-season cliche.
Rather, Newnes is referring to his mental state, six weeks after leaving St Kilda for Carlton.
He acknowledges everyone says the same thing, but for the pacy winger it’s the truth.

The 26-year-old had crafted an impressive resume at the Saints. Life member, former leadership group member and equal club record holder for consecutive games (123) in a 155-game, eight-year stint.
Jack Newnes is relishing his time in the Navy Blue.
But as Newnes explains to the Herald Sun, he was also desperate for change.
Ever since Newnes arrived at Carlton as a delisted free agent, you can’t wipe the smile off his face.
“I’m loving it, mate,” Newnes says.
“I feel a million bucks. I’m at ground zero again and I’m loving that feeling. I just want to throw myself into everything.”

Newnes’ is a voice laced with excitement, yet tinged with relief.

He is determined not to rubbish his old club, declaring that there were a “number of factors” behind his desire to turn down a contract offer and quit the Saints.
But he does admit the role change from halfback/wing to defensive forward was a factor.
“I was keen to do anything for the team, whether it be forward or as a defensive forward, but ideally that’s not where I wanted to be playing my footy (long term),” he said.
“When things aren’t going great and the team isn’t winning, there’s a lot of pressure and you get thrown around position-wise and things change.
“During the year — probably the last couple of years — my footy hasn’t been to the sort of standard I have wanted. There’s reasons for that.”

Newnes described his relationship with former coach Alan Richardson as “good” and said the arrival of Bradley Hill and Zak Jones among St Kilda’s huge trade haul played only a small part.

“It’s never been a thing of mine to worry about who is coming in. You always back yourself and get to work over the pre-season and earn your spot, which I’m trying to do here,” he said.
“But I guess when you hear things might be going that way (in the trade period) and you finish the year forward as a defensive forward … I had a meeting with the club towards the end of the year and there were probably things mentioned in that meeting where I thought, ‘Well, it’s not for me here’.
“I won’t go into it too far, but I’m here now.”

As Newnes was falling out of love with St Kilda, Carlton caught his eye.
The two clubs clashed for the second time in Round 22, with the Blues making it six wins from 10 games under coach David Teague in front of 51,786.
“It wasn’t a huge crowd, but the noise and the way the Blues supporters got behind the boys was pretty special,” he said.
Jack Newnes holds record for the most consecutive games played at the Saints.
“Stuff like that resonated with me. I know it’s a massive club, the supporter base is unbelievable and it’s got a great history.”
Newnes sat down with Carlton — coach David Teague, former GM of list management Stephen Silvagni, football manager Brad Lloyd and list manager Mick Agresta — late in October’s trade period.
After a solid start to pre-season, he is dreaming of a wing/halfback role next year, but knows a starting berth won’t come easy.
“It was a bit of a shock to be honest — the competitiveness among the young brigade and how much they want it. It’s been ‘game on’ from the word go,” he said.
“When I was at my previous club you could tell who had come back a bit out of shape or who wasn’t training as well, but here you can’t find one.
“The leaders are very strong leaders … but then there’s the up-and-coming guys.
“Personally, I think Jacob Weitering is setting himself up for something pretty big.
“Even guys like Liam Jones — because you’ve played against them you don’t understand how they go about it.
“I’m just so pumped to be here and just want to get to the season now.”
thanks for posting Sam

Natural that he blows smoke up the new teams a$$ considering he just moved to them.

One thing that is alarming and add this to the Bruce comment's is the intensity in training with both clubs being higher. Bruce stated that they were focusing more on skills early in the pre season (need to be back in good shape for this) and now Newnes saying the fitness levels coming off a break being mentioned again.

I don't take too much note of what ex player's say, but it seems to be that our training standard for the get go aren't too crash hot.

Natural that he blows smoke up the new teams a$$ considering he just moved to them.

One thing that is alarming and add this to the Bruce comment's is the intensity in training with both clubs being higher. Bruce stated that they were focusing more on skills early in the pre season (need to be back in good shape for this) and now Newnes saying the fitness levels coming off a break being mentioned again.

I don't take too much note of what ex player's say, but it seems to be that our training standard for the get go aren't too crash hot.
I wouldnt read too much into it. Bruce's comment was made on his first day at the Dogs when half their squad as still on holidays so any comment about training intensity or standards is based off nothing.

And with Newnes' comments, a lot of the player with reputations of returning out of shape has been moved on or in Gresham's case, have been improved upon while still outperforming him every week despite his fitness level.

Last edited:
Everything points to a stale and stunted environment under Richo. Jill was just another victim of the times.
Every traded player pumps up their new club, just like Hanners did for us last year.
Jill just did what he could within the regime he found himself, as did GOAT, Stuv, Hickey and Juicy.
I can't see why we would bag these guys tbh.

I wouldnt read too much into it. Bruce's comment was made on his first day at the Dogs when half their quad as still on holidays so any comment about training intensity or standards is based off nothing.

And with Newnes' comments, a lot of the player with reputations of returning out of shape has been moved on or in Gresham's case, have been improved upon while still outperforming him every week despite his fitness level.
Training intensity or standards come down to the players , guys like Bruce and Newnes have had hardly a full preseason for us for years.
Anyway I hope they have great seasons for there new club but they will soon see how lucky they had it at St kilda where they where given every opportunity to perform.

Neither have trained at Saints pre season 2020 so wouldn't know whats happening now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is true but still past experiences are irrelevant as we move into 2020.
i 100% agree with this.

It's just disappointing to hear that our players/coaching staff previously couldnt get their act together and come back in better shape/ more professional.

No wonder we have been crap for the last 8 odd years.

i 100% agree with this.

It's just disappointing to hear that our players/coaching staff previously couldnt get their act together and come back in better shape/ more professional.

No wonder we have been crap for the last 8 odd years.
It's an example of the lack of leadership within the playing group over the past few years and why we desperately needed someone like Hannebery to come in and be someone else who can set those elite standards.

Funnily enough, it is two former leadership group members making those comments.

Everything points to a stale and stunted environment under Richo. Jill was just another victim of the times.
Every traded player pumps up their new club, just like Hanners did for us last year.
Jill just did what he could within the regime he found himself, as did GOAT, Stuv, Hickey and Juicy.
I can't see why we would bag these guys tbh.
Ahh newnes plays for Carlton, I’ll bag him all I want.

It's an example of the lack of leadership within the playing group over the past few years and why we desperately needed someone like Hannebery to come in and be someone else who can set those elite standards.

Funnily enough, it is two former leadership group members making those comments.
8HTNYin.jpg

Actually it often seems that defensive forward role is a career buster.
Imo it is the hardest position to play and have an impact. You are not quiet in the action, and then miss out when the ball is bombed long into the forward 50.

That's why elite half forward's are a rare commodity. Toby Green and Steve Johnson are the best over the last 15 odd year's and we have one in Billings who has a massive impact (when he kicks straight) playing that role. I hope to see more of him there rather than the wing area due to this.

Newnes was in the leadership group what does that say about him?
Not a good leader. For someone to play over 150 games and let standards slip, not a good look for himself.

Newnes was in the leadership group what does that say about him?
Not a good leader. For someone to play over 150 games and let standards slip, not a good look for himself.
I was thinking Roo would have gave it to guys not coming back in good shape for pre season, but just remembered in his later years he didnt start preseason until much later than the rest of the group - possibly not great for young players.

Would think Gears would have been driving high training standards at the least though, having such high standards himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back