News 2020 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was time to go for Ross. We just lost to Sydney at home in a final. Players were mentally scarred from 09/10. Game plan was going no where. List needed overhaul.

I respect him for what he did, I mean 2 bounces away from being back to back premiers is the reality but the time was right IMO.

The time was right for a change, the guys were emotionally gone, unfortunately we screwed up the next coaching choice ( or two, some might say.)

I reckon Milne made a good point near the end.

Perhaps it's a result of players focusing on the clock rather than focusing on their routine. I understand forwards get gassed with all their running but it often seems the focus is on using up the 30 seconds.

You can see it when players are looking or glancing at the screen during their routine. Bet you they don't practice that part at training.

Ross Lyon reveals why he felt he had no choice but to sign a deal in secret to leave the Saints for the Dockers in 2011. He also had an unofficial approach from another club in that same year.
Michael Warner, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
February 17, 2020 5:14pm
Close

FOXSPORTS0:42
Courageous Saints defender gets poleaxed
AFLW: Having only eyes for the ball Saints key defender Clara Fitzpatrick was flattened as she ran back with the flight

MORE IN SPORT

Hills rise to Subbies Twenty20 crown

Derm’s agony: I need help putting on socks

Invader caught by Docker in historic derby

similars

Sacked Fremantle coach Ross Lyon has lifted the lid on his shock 2011 defection from St Kilda, saying the Saints left him with no choice but to leave.
Lyon was accused of “duplicity and deceit” after signing a deal with the Dockers behind the back of AFL super agent Craig Kelly because Kelly’s company, TLA, also looked after the affairs of then Fremantle coach Mark Harvey.
But Lyon has revealed how he sought repeated assurances from the Saints to be paid out in full - rather than a mandatory three-month settlement - if they decided to move on him.
Watch every match of the Marsh Community Series AFL pre-season comp LIVE & On-Demand on KAYO. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
Ross Lyon went behind the back of his agent to leave the Saints in 2011.
Ross Lyon went behind the back of his agent to leave the Saints in 2011.
Explaining the blindsiding of TLA for the first time, Lyon said his previous manager had inserted a clause into his contract giving him the right to give notice if another job offer came up.
Lyon said he had shifted to TLA on the advice of his friend, Stephen Silvagni.
“Fremantle reached out and I said, ‘I’m not interested’ but then some other things happened at the end of the year,” Lyon told the You Cannot Be Serious with Sam, Mike and Don podcast.
“I remember Ned (Kelly), TLA, they were like, ‘Mate, just do the year (2012) and then we’ll put you somewhere’.
“And I was like, ‘Mate, I’ve got three young kids, I’ve got a responsibility’. And I said, ‘Are there any other clubs interested in me? And they go, ‘No’.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

What really happened to flight MH370? Documentary reveals shocking new allegations. Watch on Sky News, 19 & 20 Feb 8pm AEDT.
“I knew that Fremantle had reached out and I'd shut them down.
“My wife said, ‘This is bullshit, we’re going in to see the lawyer’. So we went to see my lawyer and he said, ‘You’ve got a clause that you can execute’.
“And I said, ‘Well, this club (Fremantle) is really keen, I’ve told them ‘No’ and from there it was done in 48 hours.
“So my view was … really I’d been to two Grand Finals, finals series and still couldn’t get a guarantee at St Kilda and I was like, well, ‘What do I have to do there?’
“So I was like, this isn’t looking good, I need to secure my future.
“Nobody has really heard all of that and I’ve got it all written down.”
Journalist Gerard Whateley wrote at the time on the ABC website: “Ross Lyon’s defection from St Kilda to the helm of Fremantle will stand as the low point on a football landscape riddled with dishonesty and treachery.
“He jilted the club that trusted him … he left without a word to his players — a group he had driven, maniacally at times, into a bubble that might have been entirely unhealthy in the quest for the ultimate.
“Whatever honour Lyon had collected through an industrious and earnest coaching career was shed before he boarded the plane across the country.”
MORE AFL NEWS:
Battle for spots in resurgent Saints’ midfield
AFL’s big call on grand final time
Higgins’ recovery ahead of schedule
Pies secure second key signature
Lyon, 53, also revealed he had an unofficial approach from Melbourne in 2011.
He said that he doubted he would ever coach again.
“I’ve had no thought to coaching. (Adelaide football director) Mark Ricciuto reached out just to have a chat … that was ages ago, around September, and I said ‘Look I'm not interested’.
“It was very informal.
“As we sit here today I think it is more unlikely than likely.”
Asked hypothetically to choose a team he’d want to be coaching this season other than Richmond, Lyon nominated Greater Western Sydney and Collingwood.
But he declined to shed light on the sexual harassment allegations levelled against him by a female Fremantle staffer which surfaced towards the end of his time at the club.
“As I said at the time, I was really saddened that the club, my family and myself, everyone got swept up in that,” Lyon said.
“There was a Workcover claim and all parties have requested strict privacy.
“I’m not going into the details … and I’m not in a position to comment any further.”
Lyon said he was hopeful troubled Dockers forward Jesse Hogan, who has taken a leave of absence from the club, would play AFL at some stage this season.
Discover our Daily Sports Newsletter
Get the latest sports news delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.
Sign me upView more Newsletters
COMMENTS

everyone knew about the dees approaching him. good to hear it confirmed given the freo fan's denied it ever happened.

The explanation for the Saints' higher distribution than the other three smaller clubs is in part that: North Melbourne receive a significant financial boost from the commercial deal to play games in Tasmania; Melbourne have a superior stadium deal with the MCG than Saints at Marvel and they play blockbuster games on Queen's Birthday and Anzac Eve; and the Western Bulldogs are coming off a period of success in winning a flag.

The explanation for the Saints' higher distribution than the other three smaller clubs is in part that: North Melbourne receive a significant financial boost from the commercial deal to play games in Tasmania; Melbourne have a superior stadium deal with the MCG than Saints at Marvel and they play blockbuster games on Queen's Birthday and Anzac Eve; and the Western Bulldogs are coming off a period of success in winning a flag.

Bloody hell. Lowest sponsorship income of any Victorian club, by a fair margin. Just goes to show how important the commercial side of the fixture is.

It don't think it's the most sustainable thing to be reliant on the AFLs money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the South African said, "I hate to be a Boer," but I notice our six boom recruits are still pictured on our website in their previous club colours. Sorry if this has been dragged up before, but it smacks of unprofessionalism, or at best laziness. A quick call to Dr. Spaceman would surely remedy the situation in a couple of minutes. The doc could do it with his eyes closed.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to chair the Annual General Meeting of the Australian Society of Pedants.
How did the ASPAGM go? Lots of points of order I assume?

Bloody hell. Lowest sponsorship income of any Victorian club, by a fair margin. Just goes to show how important the commercial side of the fixture is.

It's quite concerning.

I was surprised that we had the lowest sponsorship of any of the Vic clubs.

It's also why my heart sank when the prospect of no China game came into play.

By not playing that game.....we'd be losing a huge amount of income.

It don't think it's the most sustainable thing to be reliant on the AFLs money.

Every club is reliant on the AFL's money. We're not actually separate companies/organisations, we're all just arms of the AFL. More like departments of a big company. Commercially some clubs are always going to be worse off than others, I agree that it would be great if we were one of the powerhouse clubs but we're a long way from that so I think it's more important to focus on on-field success.

Herald Sun have published an article this morning stating our goal kicking accuracy last year was the worst recorded since Champion Data had been recording @ 42.6%. That is disgraceful for a professional football team who should be practicing their skills every day.

Sorry I cant post the link I dont have access.

We abandoned it after 11 hours. Didn't even start on the actual agenda. As you correctly pointed out there were too many points of order. Have you been to one of our meetings before, Austinnn? Bloody exhausting.

This week I'm organising a get together for my other great passion, "The Brotherhood of the Lesser Brothers". Our alumni and members include Bobby Kennedy, David Kernahan, Anthony Harvey, Mal Leyland, Germaine Jackson, Cain, Raul Castro, Jeb Bush and Brett Voss. The greatest gap is between my brother Albert, and me. We're all pretty good in our own right, but just a bit s**t compared to our more illustrious brothers.
DysVqqW.jpg

They also owe us about 3 mill a year over 18 years from the awful deal we were forced into by the AFL.

So conservatively they owe us an extra 54 million.

The AFL might well one day say pay your own way.
Reckon everything will change now the stadium deal is gone. It’s frustrating we couldn’t make the most of the attendances when we were a powerhouse club for 3 or 4 years. Essendon got looked after by that stadium deal, and we got shafted.
The debt we’ve got isn’t that big of a deal. If it was, more would have been paid off. Isn’t it effectively an interest free loan from the mothership? Stuff the AFL, they can wait.
The only thing that bothers me is if we hit rock bottom when the Tassie team is getting closer. We’re moving in a good direction now.

The AFL might well one day say pay your own way.
The competition and broadcast rights are based on a 18 team competition and the AFL organises the comp to maximise profit.
This means lower drawing games will get lower drawing timeslots therefore Revenue for the home club affected will be down, however the game is part of the huge broadcast deal the AFL negotiates.

The very reason the AFL commission came into being was because the VFL clubs including the big four COULDN'T pay for themselves and were effectively bankrupt.

Since then 2 clubs were rebadged and six more included.

It is not in the AFL strategy for them to tell a club to pay for themselves when they have deliberately made the competition anything but a level playing field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back