News 2020 St.Kilda Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post 10 Nov 2019, 08:56
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victo ... 669a614e9b

"He arguably has the best sprinting genes in Australia and Melbourne schoolboy Jack Peris is destined to follow in the footsteps of his Olympic gold-winning mum Nova — but it’s footy where Jack wants to make his mark.
Mandy Squires, Sunday Herald Sun

He has arguably the best sprinting genes Australia has ever seen but it’s in footy that son of guns Melbourne schoolboy Jack Peris wants to make his mark.

At just 15 the youngest child of Olympic gold medallist Nova Peris and tragically killed sprint champion Daniel Batman, is already faster than any player in the St Kilda seniors side he hopes to play for, according to his stepfather Scott Appleton.

Inspired by his cousin, Geelong midfielder Brandan Parfitt, family friend Ben Long (nephew of the legendary Michael) and the Rioli boys, Peris is being mentored by Nathan Lovett-Murray and Nick Dal Santo, he says.i

A member of St Kilda’s football academy, the skill and speed of the Year 10 Melbourne Grammar scholarship student has been noticed and there are high hopes he’ll be drafted by the Saints when he turns 18.

But before then, “Jacky-boy” – who is already running personal best times of 10.97 in the 100 metres, 21.94 in his favourite 200m event and 49.11 in the 400 – has his sights set on snaring as many track titles and smashing as many sprint records as he can.

Coached full-time by his mum – former Australian hockey and sprinting star, turned Labor Senator, Nova Peris – Jack has more than just good sporting genes, he has dedication, discipline and, most importantly, humility, his family and friends say.

Leaving politics to be closer to her son – who was a boarder when he started at Melbourne Grammar in Year 7 – is a decision Nova Peris says she has never regretted.

Moving to Melbourne has allowed the family to live together again, and for Nova to coach her son in athletics – in heat, wind, rain and hail – five nights a week.

“Jack is willing to make sacrifices – he doesn’t go out on weekends like other kids his age,” Nova says. “He says ‘I have to train, I want a national title, I want to break records and I want a good education’. He knows getting those things requires discipline and sacrifice. Genetics is important in sport but it’s nothing if you don’t also have determination, discipline and accountability.

Already the holder of multiple national and state sprinting titles, not to mention a swag of Melbourne Grammar and APS records – the latest set just a couple of weeks ago -“if anything, Jacky-boy is too humble”, she says.

“He has a lot to be proud of but he never really talks about his successes.”

Just eight when his father, former Olympic sprinter and 200 metre champion Daniel Batman, died at age 31 in a car crash near Darwin, Jack says he tries not to let the weight of expectation weigh too heavily on his young shoulders.

“I just do my training, work my hardest and then go out there and do my own thing,” he says. “But it’s a good feeling to win … it’s an awesome feeling, after you’ve trained so hard.”

Why then, is he choosing footy over a potentially illustrious sprinting career?

Because Jack likes being part of a team and earning an income from athletics is notoriously hard, Nova says.

“Athletics is a very tough and lonely path,” she says.

It’s something Jack acknowledges.

“I love athletics but it’s a difficult pathway and it’s an incredibly difficult industry to succeed in,” he says. “My main goals now are to make the world junior championships and the Youth Commonwealth Games in athletics, and after that I’ll focus on my footy.”

I can see it now. After the swathe of academy bids that will compromise the 2020 draft to hell, the AFL will decide to take decisive action that will make it that much harder for us to land young Jack Peris.

St Kilda coach Brett Ratten out to prove he’s made of right stuff ahead of second stint at the top
Brett Ratten says his Saints are counting the days until they get to play for premiership points – and he also revealed why he’s better equipped ahead of his second stint as an AFL senior coach.
Grey Morris, NT News
Subscriber only
|
November 12, 2019 6:25pm
Close

FOXSPORTS1:13
Ratts' rousing pre-season speech to players

AFL: New full-time St Kilda coach Brett Ratten has delivered an inspirational message to his first to fourth-year players on the first day of pre-season training, imploring th...

MORE IN SPORT

England bombshell as star dumped over ‘confrontation’

Why Goddard is bullish on Blues backline

Scone tips: No crying over Spilt flop

similars

Brett Ratten took a long look at TIO Stadium before declaring St Kilda is counting the days until next year’s AFL premiership match.
The Saints coach played on the ground in 2003 when his former club Carlton was taken apart by the Indigenous All-Stars.
“We can’t wait to play the Gold Coast in Darwin,’’ Ratten said. “We’re here for the third time with our third-year players on a training camp with Longy (Ben Long), who has brought the boys up.
Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Saint Ben Long and coach Brett Ratten in Darwin. Pic: Glenn Campbell
Saint Ben Long and coach Brett Ratten in Darwin. Pic: Glenn Campbell
“We’ll go over to the Tiwis and have a look at some of the cultural experiences and hopefully Longy will give us the tricks of the trade on how to play in Darwin.’’
Ratten said there was a “fair bit of momentum’’ at the football club with the playing talent they possessed.
“But we’ve still got a lot of hard work to do, even if I think the players are starting to get a fair bit of belief on what we’re all trying to do,’’ he added.
“I think the young talent we have is still untapped, with Hunter Clark, Max King and Nick Coffield about to take the next step in their footy careers.’’

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

Nine exclusive new channels. One amazing new experience. From Nov 7
St Kilda was active in the trade period, bringing in several big-name players.
“It’s been very positive for us with five new inclusions meaning we’ve got some real speed and run through Bradley Hill, Zak Jones and Dan Butler,’’ Ratten said.
Jade Gresham is among the Saints in Darwin for training and leadership sessions. Pic: Glenn Campbell
Jade Gresham is among the Saints in Darwin for training and leadership sessions. Pic: Glenn Campbell
“Then you bring in Dougal Howard to play as a key back or key forward.
“And we’ve got (Paddy) Ryder with his ability to help out our ruckman Rohan Marshall as a 31-year-old All-Australian himself.’’
Ratten is happy to be back in the coaching ranks after six seasons at Carlton and an assistant role at Hawthorn where he was part of the Hawk’s threepeat grand final wins in 2013, ‘14 and ‘15.
MORE NEWS:
Ratten’s inspiring words light a fire under Clark
Seventh heaven: Pies bow to Grundy demand
Why Goddard is bullish on Blues backline
While honoured to be given the opportunity to coach St Kilda, Ratten wants to prove to himself he is made of the right stuff.
“I think understanding myself is big,’’ he said.
“I probably didn’t respect the little things when I was a younger coach and when you’re at that stage you might think you have to be an expert in every field.
“I think I understand now I have to bring in people with those skill-sets I don’t have and that can really round off our coaching group.’’
Originally published as What Ratten has learned second time round
https://trc.taboola.com/newscorpau-...=newscorpau-medibank-native&r=86&lti=deflated

Damn I'd love to do something like that.
Sadly I'm in the wrong state, need to still work full time and am prob way too old even thou I technically have just under 20 years of working life left according to the government

Edit
Lol
20 grand
giphy (49).gif

Damn I'd love to do something like that.
Sadly I'm in the wrong state, need to still work full time and am prob way too old even thou I technically have just under 20 years of working life left according to the government

Edit
Lol
20 grand
View attachment 778403
No no I think that's right

Permission to train

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... e9fcaed2e3

"Former Carlton defender Angus Schumacher (St Kilda) and ex-Port Adelaide forward Aidyn Johnson (Sydney) are other axed players hoping for a second chance at AFL level.

Sudanese next generation academy ruckman Bigoa Nyuon will train St Kilda and could join the club as a category B rookie.

The 196cm Dandenong Stingrays is the brother of ex-Essendon rookie Gach Nyuon and averaged 84 ranking points, 13 hit outs, four marks and 10.7 disposals in the NAB League.

Schumacher spent the past three seasons at the Blues, playing his only AFL game in Round 20 this season.

Johnson was delisted by the Power after 11 games and eight goals in four years.

The AFL national draft starts on November 27.

The rookie draft will take place on November 28 or 29.
Bigoa Nyuon (left) will train with St Kilda and has been part of the club’s next generation academy. l.

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
2004 prelim on Fox.

To all those who ran on the ground after G Train kicked his 100th and stole us momentum I say a big F YOU!!!
f you back! I was 16 and everyone else had already swamped the ground, I wasn't gonna sit in the stands like a loser :( ... at least not for another hour and 45 minutes... bloody guerra falling over his own feet f me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back