News 2020 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
St Kilda CEO Matt Finnis believes his club can potentially ride the wave of the COVID-19 crisis better than some of the bigger clubs.

Some early on in the lockdown suggested the Saints might struggle to survive the financial disaster created by the virus, but Finnis said they won’t be hit as hard by the lack of crowds.

“We’re all going to be worse off in an absolute sense, but in a relative sense it may well be that the Saints can come out of this better than others,” Finnis told SEN Breakfast.

“We’re not as exposed to the losses from big match returns as some other clubs are.

“If we trim our sales accordingly and we’re smart, then we think in a relative sense we can come out better than others.”

St Kilda has a debt of $12 million to its name thanks to its decision to move from Seaford to Moorabbin, but Finnis isn’t yet sure how much more will be added in 2020 because of COVID-19.

“You would obviously prefer not to go into a pandemic like this with the debt that we have, but ultimately the club had prioritised moving from Seaford back to Moorabbin and giving ourselves a generational asset,” he said.

“Really as we start to improve on the field and grow our membership north of 50,000, that’ll allow us to start to reduce our debt.

“As to what (the debt) gets to this year, that’ll be determined by how many members we can retain, the support of our sponsors and what the season throws up between now and the end.”

St Kilda raised $100,000 through a fundraiser last Friday night in a huge boost for the club.

See thats what i dont get with some of our supporters , old mate really loves the saints but he has never been a member until now , I know from going to games that there are blokes i used to have a beer with that i haven't seen for years ,Where do they disappear too ?

See thats what i dont get with some of our supporters , old mate really loves the saints but he has never been a member until now , I know from going to games that there are blokes i used to have a beer with that i haven't seen for years ,Where do they disappear too ?
How many times would you take the same girl on a date before you concede you'll never get to 3rd base? Inevitably, people just lose interest.
If we can snag a premiership, tens of thousands will sign up in thanks.

Matera kicked lots of flashy goals on the run from 50m. Nicky did also. But how many lace out passes on to that fat chest of our ex full forward did Nicky hit? Sublime.
Nicky did the flash and jawdropping, but he also did the mundane and expected, which I thought made him a better footballer than some of his more gushed about peers, would have been rated a lot higher if we won more games.

Was my favorite player from that era, always just had that something special Then Aussie was my next, still have a singed jumper from Aussie (98 I think).

well, that's the challenge the club faces, stats suggest that StKilda is widely supported, but we haven't converted that to memberships. lots of reasons
lack of success, the Bubble in the 00's during our successful period, fixturing. I can't recall the club ever so open and willing to get fans involved as I have in the last few years.

5 out of the last 6 years ( counting this year) have been club record memberships.

well, that's the challenge the club faces, stats suggest that StKilda is widely supported, but we haven't converted that to memberships. lots of reasons
lack of success, the Bubble in the 00's during our successful period, fixturing. I can't recall the club ever so open and willing to get fans involved as I have in the last few years.

5 out of the last 6 years ( counting this year) have been club record memberships.
Also due to the fact if you sneeze down at Moorabbin they count it as a signed membership. People get so worked up about memberships, i find it really strange.

How many times would you take the same girl on a date before you concede you'll never get to 3rd base? Inevitably, people just lose interest.
If we can snag a premiership, tens of thousands will sign up in thanks.

Twice, and she'd have to pay for the second date. I have standards but I am also cheap.

Also due to the fact if you sneeze down at Moorabbin they count it as a signed membership. People get so worked up about memberships, i find it really strange.
And people say im a grump

Matera kicked lots of flashy goals on the run from 50m. Nicky did also. But how many lace out passes on to that fat chest of our ex full forward did Nicky hit? Sublime.
I would love to see the stats of Lockett's goals that came of passes from Nicky. Obviously my favourite player of that time. Nicky did amazing stuff and just went about like it was normal instead of doing a big claim. Had a great bag of tricks, sublime kicks, big speckies and a fierce tackler. Was very upset he went to the doggies for the last couple of season😢

I’ll tell you why...
in terms of building a financially stable and successful club, having 50 000 members is a lot more enticing for sponsors than 35 000.
Perception is reality. Saints supporters who are non members start to think that maybe they should get on the bandwagon and sign up too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first I hear from supporter mates who arent members is - "what's in it for me". Those people arent in a position to go to many games, if at all so the club needs to come up with an initiative to get those supporters on board.

Something like a 'dob in supporter mate who is not a member' and have a player call them. Once you get them signed and see the benefits for the club they will remain loyal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back