News 2020 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

St Kilda still plans to host a ‘Danny Frawley Tribute’ game, but only when fans return to the footy
It was meant to happen in Round 2, but St Kilda’s planned tribute to one of its favourite sons Danny Frawley has been put on hold, with the club set to wait until fans can be part of the celebration of the legend’s life.

St Kilda still has plans for a tribute match for one of its favourite sons Danny Frawley, but only when fans get the chance to return to the football.
The Saints had been looking at a special match to allow fans to pay their respects to Frawley — who was killed in a car crash last September — with the club originally pinpointing the Round 2 Marvel Stadium clash with West Coast as the most likely option.

The coronavirus shutdown ended those hopes, but Saints chief executive Matt Finnis has confirmed a tribute game will still happen “at the earliest available opportunity”.

It won’t go ahead until crowds are allowed back into venues to allow fans and those closest to Frawley to be a part of the special tribute.

“There have been many aspects of our plans for the year ahead that have been turned upside down, but one of the moments we were looking forward to the most was being able to give Saints fans the opportunity to celebrate Danny's life and contribution to the club,” Finnis said.

“I am sure we will not miss the opportunity to do that at the earliest available opportunity.”

Finnis said the club would continue to look at tangible ways to honour Frawley's sizeable contribution to the St Kilda Football Club.

Last pre-season St Kilda's playing list went on a camp to Frawley's hometown of Bungaree where they learnt about his legacy from teammate Stewart Loewe. The club wants it to become an annual tradition.

“We talk about bricks and mortar being really important, but ultimately footy clubs are about people,” Finnis said

“That's as much about your current people as those who have gone before.

“To have people like Stewie Loewe connect with the footy club and share the stories of ‘Spud’ (Frawley) with the players, they are moments that go to the DNA of the footy club.

“We will keep looking at ways to nurture that.”

Finnis said Saints fans had rallied behind the club during the shutdown period and would undoubtedly be cheering the team on from afar when footy resumes without crowds next month.

“In Round 1 we watched the footy feeling like there was something missing and that was the fans who weren’t there,” he said.

“My sense is now we’ve had it taken away from us, we will take it back in whatever form we can.

“Then we can all look forward to the day when we can open the stands again to have the Saints army there to support us.”

RATTEN FEARS SOME SAINTS WON’T GET UP FOR ROUND 2
—REBECCA WILLIAMS

St Kilda coach Brett Ratten concedes the speed the club will have to accelerate players’ training to get them match-fit means some might not be ready for the AFL’s Round 2 return.

While he was buoyed by the shape in which his players have returned to the club this week after the AFL’s coronavirus shutdown, Ratten acknowledged preparing the players for games in less than four weeks was the biggest concern.

“(The biggest challenge is) probably how quickly we accelerate the program to games,” Ratten said.

“To think it’s only going to be three weeks of training and then the lead-up to the first round (back), that will be a challenge.

“It might mean that we can’t pick everyone in Round 2 when we get back, it might mean that we have to wait a week or so.

“But I think with the crew that we have got and the medical staff, that’s a big challenge, but I think it’s one that we can overcome.”

Ratten admitted the club would take a cautious approach with players who have had a history of soft-tissue injuries during the mini pre-season ahead of next month’s return.

“Our approach on day one might have been a bit slower than others, but it was about gathering the information so then we could push forward pretty quickly,” Ratten said.

“Today we lifted the bar a fair bit higher. But most clubs will be taking risks somewhere in this first week about trying to get moving quickly.”

Ratten said Dan Hannebery, who had an injury-plagued first season with the Saints, had “trained really well” upon his return.

More generally, Ratten was pleased with the shape his players had returned after the shutdown.

“They have come back in really good shape,” Ratten said.

“I think it is a challenge for most clubs when you can’t see the players every day and watch what they do … out players have come back in great shape, which is great.”

Ratten said having to make cuts to the football department had been tough.

“That’s the hardest thing to think people have been stood down from this period and they did nothing wrong,” Ratten said.

“But you look in society and people have lost businesses and still not working and it goes across every suburb and every state and there are some very hard stories.

“There has been some good people in our organisation that haven’t come back from this period which is tough for them, but we are still keeping in contact and hopefully when we get back to next year … we can bring a few of those people back.

“We really went down the generalist model – if you have got multiple skills that will help the organisation – people who did have that first up, they got a gig.

“But very tough and not great to have those conversations.”

Ratten said he did not have an issue with players having to travel on game day when the season resumed and was also comfortable with the interchange bench numbers remaining at four.

“I think if they keep the minutes the same as round one I don’t think we need to,” Ratten said.

“The AFL is giving themselves a bit of room to move. If the game requires that for the last five games to add one (interchange) I think they would be up for it if the injury rate was too high.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's happened?
Former AFL star Gilbert McAdam is reportedly being investigated over an alleged assault.
The Herald Sun is reporting the 53-year-old was arrested after a woman was allegedly assaulted at a St Kilda home around 10:15PM.

McAdam is reportedly yet to be charged by police, but authorities confirmed to foxfooty.com.au an investigation is ongoing.

Former AFL star Gilbert McAdam is reportedly being investigated over an alleged assault.
The Herald Sun is reporting the 53-year-old was arrested after a woman was allegedly assaulted at a St Kilda home around 10:15PM.

McAdam is reportedly yet to be charged by police, but authorities confirmed to foxfooty.com.au an investigation is ongoing.
Apologies, I read your post as Sam Gilbert.

Dylan Roberton opens up on making his return to the AFL following a career-threatening heart issues
First he had to get the medical clearance. Then he had to wait for the AFL’s final tick in late February. And in-between all that were overseas trips and back-up careers. This is how Dylan Roberton made his return to St Kilda.

"How am I ever going to convince anyone to let me come back?"
It was the question St Kilda's highly-rated defender Dylan Roberton wrestled with through more than 700 days between his 128th and 129th AFL matches.

The image of Roberton collapsing on the field against Geelong in Round 4, 2018, with a career-threatening heart irregularity was one of the most disturbing in recent times.

Then another heart-related issue in a pre-season game at the start of 2019 brought him to the brink of retirement.

He didn't want to call it quits. He figured he might not have a choice.

“The first (incident) took us a while because we didn't really know what was happening,” Roberton told the Sunday Herald Sun.

“Once it happened the second time, it was really backs-to-the-wall stuff. We were really conservative and really worried about my health.”

As it transpired, his love of the game, the support of his family, the backing of his manager Peter Lenton and St Kilda Football Club, the guidance of club doctor Tim Barbour and some of the world's leading cardiologists, and ultimately a final welfare tick from the AFL allowed him to return for the Round 1, 2020, clash.

It was one of the more remarkable modern comebacks.

But if the 28-year-old required the patience of a saint to return to play this year, he has had to endure some more waiting with the coronavirus shutdown after the opening round.

“Having the past two years off has probably prepared me for what has happened,” Roberton said. “For a lot of the other guys, this is the first time they have had the game taken away from them.”

He is counting down the days to resume again, but thankful he has been provided with a second chance.

Here is how it happened.

THE PLAN
ROBERTON knew what his second heart issue meant for other people; but he also knew what he wanted himself.

“My initial reaction was there was no way anyone was going to let me play again, but after a few chats with Tim Barbour, our doctor, ‘Lethers’ (Simon Lethlean) and Peter Lenton, it was like, ‘You are probably not going to get back, but if there is even a couple of per cent chance of you playing, we will explore it’.”

The fact he had their support — and a contract — provided him with time to explore his options.

“I couldn't not see myself playing again,” Roberton said. “Subconsciously, I probably thought it might not happen. But front of mind, I couldn't see it ending the way it did.

“Obviously, everyone wanted what was best for my health. But knowing how much I love football, I had to give it chance.

“They were like, ‘Do what you have to do, find out all the information you can, and if they say you can't play, then at least you can put your head down knowing you have asked every question you could possibly ask’.”

BALTIMORE TRIP
PART of those questions included a trip with Barbour to Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York last year to visit some of the world’s leading cardiologists.

The fact the club was willing to allow him to do this is something he will remain forever grateful for.

“I loved the club even back then, but to think what they were prepared to allow me to do, I just can’t ever thank them enough,” Roberton said.

“I was working with cardiologists in Melbourne and they have contacts all over the world.

“They bounce off ideas to one another and that was one of the reasons for going over there.

“We went to Baltimore (to Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute) and to Philly.

“They did a couple of tests and had a good look over my files and went through my issues. They didn't promise anything, but some really positive stuff came out of it.

“’Barbs’ was with me every step of the way. He has been a massive help.”

The pair arrived back just before the Saints’ Round 21 game against Fremantle last August, armed with a number of options as well as a recommended change of medication which became a game changer.

“The biggest thing was the switch in my medication,” Roberton said.

“The stress tests I did with the old medication could still find a few little irregularities, but ever since I switched to the new medication, they said I’ve still got some (irregularities) but the same amount as if you picked anyone off the street and have them do a stress test."

THE COACHING GAME
ROBERTON has always wanted to coach.

Through his sidelined 2019 season — before and after his trip to the US — then Saints coach Alan Richardson and the man who replaced him Brett Ratten allowed Roberton the chance to work as a part-time coach.

“I was sitting in match committee meetings and sat in the box on game day,” he said.

“I always thought I wanted to do coaching, but you are never actually sure until you step into it.

“I thought I would use the year and it would either turn me off coaching or it would light the fire.

“I can't thank ‘Richo’ and ‘Ratts’ enough for what they allowed me to do.

“It has only strengthened my desire to be a coach and made it clearer in my head that's what I want to do after my career is over.”

THE AFL TICK
THERE was one more hurdle after the medical clearance from the cardiologists — Roberton needed the AFL’s approval.

Understandably, given the gravity of his situation, the league required him to wait until only a few months ago.

“It got to the point where the DOCS ere OK with me playing. It pretty much came down to the AFL, which was fair enough, as if anything happened, they were the ones who were letting me get back to playing.

“All the evidence was given to them. They checked with the insurers and got second opinions.

“There was a bit of jumping through hoops.

“It was pretty much common sense if they had said ‘no’ just to protect themselves.

“They wanted me to do the full pre-season and then they would do some more testing at the end of that to make sure nothing had changed.

“Then one day (AFL general counsel) Andrew Dillon came out to the club (in late February) and it was all pretty much informal. He said: ‘Everything has gone through, it should be good to go. I wish you all the best.’

It was the news Roberton had been waiting for. He could crank up his comeback ambition.

“I can’t thank the AFL enough,” he said. “It’s a business, but I respect the fact they gave me another shot at it.”

THANKSTHE RETURN
ROBERTON didn't just return as a player, he returned as one of St Kilda’s leaders.

He was voted into the club’s leadership group again, having stood down from it the previous year.

“I never thought I would be voted in,” he said. “I thought they may have been started looking to different players. But I suppose they probably saw how invested I am in the group.”

With the AFL approval, he returned through the Marsh Community Series and capped off his hard work by being a part of St Kilda's Round 1 clash against North Melbourne.

He was solid rather than spectacular and his team blew a big lead to go down by two point, which proved a frustration, but it was a start at least.

“Some of our footy in the first half was unreal. That first five minutes of the third quarter was probably the best we had played,” Roberton said.

“Then we kicked four points in five minutes and they went down and scored, which turned the momentum.

“I didn't play the greatest first game back, but it's out of the way. I’d been thinking about that game for so long.”

THE FUTURE
ROBERTON spent more some valuable time with his partner, Amy, and his three kids — Boston (BJ), 8, Henry (6) and Pip (5) — through the AFL shutdown.

“Having the kids at home kept us pretty busy,” he said.

Before return to training in small groups last Monday, he had been training on various programs by himself, along with a few one-on-one running sessions with Oscar Clavarino, Jarryn Geary and Jack Lonie.

“The next step is getting back into training in bigger groups, so that’s hopefully next Wednesday,” he said.

“We've had a pretty big turnaround at the whole club in terms of players and coaches.

“There was a big focus on that in the pre-season and we've tried to continue it (through the shutdown).

“If you look at any coach I've had, Ratts is probably the best at sort of facilitating that. He is a ball of energy and builds connections really well.”

Importantly, Roberton feels good and with regularly testing, he is looking ahead to what he hopes will be a long playing career before stepping into a coaching role.

Roberton can't wait to work more closely with new Saint Dougal Howard, has loved seeing others such as Brad Hill settle into the club and says one-game forward Max King could one day be the future face of the Saints.

He’s confident in his club’s future and can’t wait to sing the club’s song again after a win.

“The song is special every time you sing it,” he said. “That's what we want the most.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back