News 2020 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just from that, Jarryn is a great communicator. He's talking flat out and not a word out of place.
He cops a lot of flack, but you can almost see the kind of leadership he offers.

Rowan, he's a gun on the field, but he's still a big country boy behind the microphone. ( Reminds me a bit of Jonathan Brown there ).

Oh , its so nice to be in the finals. much more media now!!! may it long continue.

I just hope we dont make a big deal of it where we play , we need the players feeling positive not worrying about where we are playing , there was nothing worse than watching WCE and the Tigers sooking it up in the hub , we all saw how that worked for them back then until they got their mindset right .
We should be embracing it as a new challenge just like it was going to SA two weeks in a row

Last edited:
I just hope we dont make a big deal of it where we play , we need the players feeling positive not worrying about where we are playing , there was nothing worse than watching WCE and the Tigers sooking it up in the hub , we all saw how that worked for them back then until they got their mindset right .
We should be embracing as a new challenge just like it was going to SA two weeks in a row

Based on Ratts’ answer on AFL360 last night, I’m pretty sure we won’t.

Only some of us sooks on here (including me) have made a song and dance about it. And only because of the principle of it.

Having said that, it’s been a year like no other, the AFL would like to make money and you can’t blame them this year, and playing there does not favour either side, while obviously our guys will have good memories of winning two games there.

I’m not sure that sooking it up, publically anyway, is something our admin does. It’s not a good look - just look at Clarko this season.

Based on Ratts’ answer on AFL360 last night, I’m pretty sure we won’t.

Only some of us sooks on here (including me) have made a song and dance about it. And only because of the principle of it.

Having said that, it’s been a year like no other, the AFL would like to make money and you can’t blame them this year, and playing there does not favour either side, while obviously our guys will have good memories of winning two games there.

I’m not sure that sooking it up, publically anyway, is something our admin does. It’s not a good look - just look at Clarko this season.
Yeah , like George said , Geelong dont get a choice for finals , I think the club need to come out and say we will play anywhere and put it too bed ,
PS , why would some be sooking if we have to go to SA ,, 100% strike rate this year.
I do understand why some would be upset i just dont think we need to derail our season because of a ground choice , this is our chance to stick it up them

Last edited:
Both Coffield and Clark made the u22 team.

Forward haven't been announced yet.

Very well deserved. There should be a St Kilda forward aswell.

i also Think Coffield deserves an apology thread. A lot of posters knocked him over the last 12 months. He looks a very good AFL level footballer with the potential to be a real star of the team back there.

King made the U22 side as well

All three of our boys in the squad made the side, making us equal with Gold Coast and Freo as the the most represented sides.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 09.11.55.png

Rankin and Naughton in is a joke with Naughton injured for most of the year and Rankin kicking a few flukey goals. Surely Paton has had a better year

All three of our boys in the squad made the side, making us equal with Gold Coast and Freo as the the most represented sides.

View attachment 967590

On ONEPLUS A5000 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 967590
Those three being top ten picks, no great surprise.

We must continue to bring in top end talent.

View attachment 967590
Paton stiff

Noticed Paul a lot on TV and I’m sure he’s been to a few Perth games before too.

RIP Paul, hope the Saints can make you proud this finals series.

Damn that's sad.

Brett Ratten wasted no time thanking the behind the scenes staff at St Kilda for their hard work
Only hours after making finals, an early Saturday email bounced into the inboxes of more than 150 St Kilda staff members. It was from their coach, with a special message. This is why both the club and coach couldn’t be happier.
Glenn McFarlane, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
September 22, 2020 4:19pm
Close

Pause
Loaded: 92.40%

Current Time 1:19
/
Duration 2:31

Fullscreen

NOW PLAYING
Resume

Saints thrash sorry Giants
2:27
UP NEXT
  • cfce9bbfcb6bc96dd862fe649aa19b95

Ratten gets in on Saints song
    2:26

• 6c4fd1c7bafac617a69bc6bb377af729

Kangaroos have no identifiable system
    2:10

• a3155555da21c037a76b19f8cd3bd83d

Ryder's cheeky 'play on' goal
    0:37

• 89a05ea8dc6e89b40c9fbdecafeaa8ba

Kangaroos press conference
    10:59

• 1cdab5fc660da90034d43518ecaffa08

SACKED: Doug Hawkins on how Darren Millane's death impacted him
    1:15

• 72d369e79ad091ded2a692f1d66cfa01

Hawthorn Premiership heroes call time
    1:43

• 529c02336a47cc06d5375db1cb89df18

Simmo calls time after 18-yrs
    1:32
AFL: St Kilda ensured that the GWS Giants would definitely not be playing finals football this year, handing them a thrashing in the final regular season round.

MORE IN SPORT

Shaw open to Vic return to continue career

Why Rowell should win the Rising Star award

Robbo’s All Australians: The 13 new faces who scored a spot

similars

An early Saturday email bounced into the inboxes of more than 150 St Kilda staff members and volunteers either based in the Queensland hub or back in a locked-down Melbourne with a message from the coach.
Brett Ratten wanted to thank them – collectively.
In keeping with the character of the man who has ridden a roller coaster of emotional highs and crushing lows in his 49 years – none more heartbreaking than the death of his 16-year-old son Cooper in a car accident in 2015 – Ratten’s message was all about connection, gratitude and engagement.
Just over 12 hours earlier his team booked the club’s first finals berth in nine years, but come Saturday Ratten’s thoughts had shifted to the unsung staffers who had assisted the team in the most challenging of AFL seasons.
A source told the Sunday Herald Sun: “The (Ratten) message was about how it had been a tough year (for staff) with stand-downs and with reduced hours, and how the team couldn’t have done what it had without them.”
Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Watch every match of every round Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
Brett Ratten believes his side can compete with the best. Picture: Michael Willson/Getty Images
Brett Ratten believes his side can compete with the best. Picture: Michael Willson/Getty Images
“It was about saying ‘we’re not there yet … but we are taking good strides, and it’s because of your hard work’.”
Ratten has achieved what the two previous Saints coaches couldn’t – elevating the club back into the finals for the first time since Ross Lyon coached his final St Kilda game in a messy 2011 elimination final exit.
A large number of the club’s staff as well as the club’s record membership base won’t be able to attend the Saints’ 53rd final in a fortnight, but Ratten wants them all to feel a part of it.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Stay informed on the big business, economic and financial issues. Watch Business Weekend Sundays 1pm AEST, on Sky News. For more.
Ratten hasn’t been the sole reason for the seismic shift in attitude and connection at the Saints right now. But he has undoubtedly played an enormous part.
His connection to the players and staff in the Queensland hub was evidenced after the Giants’ win on Friday when he called them into the theme song.

He had told Saints head of football operations Danny Sexton before the game – “When we get the job done, I reckon we get everyone in (the circle).”
As painful as it has been for him personally, perspective has made Ratten a better coach.
Being sacked as Carlton coach after the 2012 season – just a year after taking the club to three successive finals series – was professionally cruel.
The loss of his son five years ago in tragic circumstances was something he says he will never get over, but he is learning to live with the heartbreaking loss.
Ratten spoke recently in a podcast Adapting in my grief – hosted by Milton Walters – of the importance of looking after each other.
That was the case earlier this year on the day that would have been Cooper’s 21st birthday.
“Something that was pretty special was Cooper’s 21st,” Ratten said in the podcast.
“It gets me a bit upset, but at the footy club, the players got around me and said, ‘we know it’s a special day but a very hard day for you’. Then they just all came up and gave us a cuddle … it was awesome, it was so good.
The Inside 50: Your new-look AFL newsletter
“And it’s just those little things about acknowledging him. You know, he might not be here, but he is here with us. It’s one of the hardest things about it.”
That support has been extraordinary from the footy community and its fans.
Ratten said on ABC Grandstand: “I wanted to coach again and to get that opportunity at the Saints ... (well) not too many get a second chance after being sacked.”
“I want to grab it with both hands. Hopefully we can have that success, but we have only scratched the surface.”
Ratten has collectively wrapped his arms around the players and the staff since taking on the job full-time.
When Ben Paton finished his exit interview at the end of last year, the young Saints told his coach he wanted to play more than the 13 games he did in 2019.
Brett Ratten has a special relationship with his players. Picture: Getty Images
Brett Ratten has a special relationship with his players. Picture: Getty Images
Ratten insisted he thought Paton could play every game, which he has done so far in 2020, and he has beaten the likes of Tom Papley and Toby Greene.
It’s not just the players.
Before the pandemic hit, Rattene promised to buy the club’s membership department lunch if they reached a target. They did, and Ratten paid up.
One staff member stuck in Melbourne who had their first child a few months ago was stunned when a present and heartwarming note arrived on the doorstep from Ratten and his wife Jo.
That’s the Ratten touch. It’s taken the Saints to the finals, but he wants more than that.
“(The finals) are not our destination,” Ratten said. “It’s (only) part of the journey.”

RATTEN: ‘STARVED’ SAINTS CAN BE A FINALS THREAT
– Glenn McFarlane

Brett Ratten is confident St Kilda can make a serious assault on this year’s AFL finals series, insisting his Saints are not there to simply make up the numbers.

Ratten revealed he had spoken to the club’s leadership group and the players on Saturday to ensure the focus of the group is centred on what they can achieve across the next month rather than dwelling on their first finals appearance since 2011.

Importantly, the Saints believe Zak Jones will return for the first final with the bye following the home-and-away season giving him a serious chance of overcoming the hamstring injury that saw him miss Friday night’s win over Greater Western Sydney.

FOXSPORTS2:26
Ratten gets in on Saints song

AFL: St Kilda celebrated their finals' berth in style, with coach Brett Ratten even getting involved in the team song.

“We have caught up with the leadership group and will talk to the players … but the post-game chat we had was around the opportunity we have,” Ratten said on ABC Grandstand.

“The first 22 rounds – it is a bit different this year being only 17 (games) – is just a rehearsal for the finals.

“You are just practising to get your game perfect if you can for the pointy end of the season.

“(The players) know exactly where we sit. We are excited, happy, we have been starved of this, but we are not trying to just limp in and just play the numbers game.

“We want to be a player in the finals and this is our opportunity and we are looking forward to it.”

Jones reported soreness in his hamstring in the clash with West Coast with subsequent scans revealing a minor strain. He will push hard to play in the first final.

“It might be pretty close,” Ratten said. “It is not as bad as the other one he did earlier in the year.”

MORE AFL NEWS

Robbo: The jury is out on St Kilda’s finals credentials

Footy or family: Bomber’s cruel hub dilemma

Growing angst as AFL plans to limit coaches’ payouts

Mark of Century star wins $1.4m head knock payout

“I think with that time frame we got him back in 14 days. We will wait and see, but I think he will get up for the finals.”

Defender Jake Carlisle returned to the Saints’ team on Friday night, but has a decision to make in the coming weeks, with his wife due to give birth soon.

“Mel (Carlisle’s partner) is due in the first week in the final, she will be 39 weeks,” Ratten said on 3AW. “We just had a chat to Jake to see where he is at and he is going to go through everything with Mel.

“The decision will be up to him. If he wants to go back for the birth, that’s fine. But he needs to work through with Mel what they want to do as a family.

“He will probably play the first final, hopefully we get through, and we will leave it to him.”

Thanks to StCicatriz

its nice to have an admin that doesn't get shafted by the AFL

i reckon in previous admins, we would be playing at metricon in our away strip

feels like we have a much better and stronger relationship with the AFL right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back