News 2020 St.Kilda Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's HS, subscriber only article.

St Kilda convinced Dan Hannebery will vindicate its faith after promising finish to season
St Kilda is convinced it made the right call to recruit midfielder Dan Hannebery, adamant the former Swan can return to his best after an injury-interrupted start to life at Moorabbin.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
Subscriber only

St Kilda says Dan Hannebery’s final month of football vindicated its contentious decision to secure him, adamant the club will play the long game with the talented midfielder.

Hannebery is recovering from a broken foot suffered when he stumbled on a set of stairs, the latest in a long list of injuries at St Kilda.

He will gradually increase his fitness base as St Kilda’s senior players return to the club on Monday for a time trial that will kick off their pre-season.

But St Kilda assistant coach Brendon Lade says any fan who watched his five games between Rounds 14-23 would have seen his massive potential.

Hannebery, who signed a five-year contract after crossing from Sydney, averaged 25 disposals and five clearances and kicked the ball beautifully, with the 28-year-old desperate to show he is not a spent force.

“It took a while to get his body right but we were really pleased with his last four of five games in the AFL,” Lade said.

“It probably solidified the decision to get him. He added another dimension. He wins the contested ball, his run and ball use was good as anyone, and his ability to get the ball out of congestion with his hands was a hallmark of his time at Sydney.

“He adds a lot to our midfield and our group and just gives us another weapon to use.

“He will be back in full training around the start of December. He had a little setback but we understand these things happen. Hopefully we can get a really good January and February out of him.”

Lade said Hannebery would again be a contender for the leadership group after stepping down this year to concentrate on his football.

“He just adds some energy and leadership around the group. That will be done in due course. The players sit down and nominate players and Ratts (coach Brett Ratten) has his say too about who is in the leadership group and how many.

“Jack Billings was upgraded this year and showed really good form and Zak Jones is a leader and so is Paddy Ryder so that’s exciting for our group to have players like that.”

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
2004 prelim on Fox.

To all those who ran on the ground after G Train kicked his 100th and stole us momentum I say a big F YOU!!!
I think thats a cop out. It happened very early and we still led the game at 3/4 time.
Maybe Milne, BJ & Guerra combining for 5 disposals could've had a bigger influence?

That game is still the worst one I've ever seen though. That was the best side we've had in my lifetime and I have no doubt we would've won the next week.

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think thats a cop out. It happened very early and we still led the game at 3/4 time.
Maybe Milne, BJ & Guerra combining for 5 disposals could've had a bigger influence?

That game is still the worst one I've ever seen though. That was the best side we've had in my lifetime and I have no doubt we would've won the next week.

Is that last line a cop out too though? We legit lost to the lions by 13 goals 2 weeks earlier.

So many what ifs with this club.

yes, we would have. Brisbane were stuffed.

oh well.

Yeah the Lions had us mentally I reckon. Roo said as much on SEN. They smashed us twice in three weeks or something like that wasn’t it? I think if nobody jumps the fence that day we get a lead that would’ve been too much to overcome.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Is that last line a cop out too though? We legit lost to the lions by 13 goals 2 weeks earlier.

So many what ifs with this club.
And beat them earlier in the year. Obviously we’ll never know, but I think the momentum from beating Port in Adelaide would’ve carried over to beat a beaten up lions.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... d2de18b502

"St Kilda might have lost Josh Bruce during the trade period, but it has no intention of rushing his likely replacement Max King. Forwards coach Brendon Lade outlines how the Saints will get the best out of their rising star.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun

St Kilda is adamant it can immediately find a way to replace Josh Bruce’s goal power after the bold decision to trade him to the Western Bulldogs.

And while forward coach Brendon Lade has raved about Max King’s speed and power he says the Saints must find a role which maximises his raw talents.

Stream the full or condensed replay of the 2019 Toyota AFL Grand Final on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Bruce was the collateral damage in the club’s trade period, the Saints happy for him to explore his options given it gave them cap space and an early pick to use at the trade table.

In 2019 he kicked 36 goals and took 43 contested marks, a reliable and unselfish target who continually brought the ball to ground if he didn’t mark the Sherrin.

Lade said St Kilda believed it had the arsenal to compete, with Paddy Ryder a new addition and ruckman Rowan Marshall more than capable of playing forward.

What the club won’t do is sacrifice 2018’s No. 4 draft pick King in a role that sees him battered by rival defenders, keen to get the athletically gifted star on the move.

“It’s going to be a tough one, losing all those goals and what (Bruce) can do for us, but we have brought Ryder in to help with that and while Dougal Howard will play defence he will spend some time in attack too,” Lade said.

“If we can get good contribution from Marshall and Ryder and bring the ball to ground, it should cover Brucey.

“Max King is training really well and hopefully he can add to the mix. The game is all about playing to your strengths so he is not going to be doing too much wrestling.

“It’s all about movement and him getting a run and jump at it. We need to get him in a position where he can do that. It he gets a run and jump at it with his arms at full stretch, there are not many guys who will get near him.”

King’s brother Ben finished his first year at Gold Coast with 11 goals in his last five games, with Max King a higher draft pick who could have gone No. 1 if not for an ACL tear.

Lade labelled his athleticism and speed “as good as any 200-plus centimetre guy I have seen”.

“The challenge is to get his body right and his legs strong and a good pre-season base behind him. He doesn’t get fazed by too much, he is a pretty relaxed and casual guy.

“For us there is not a lot of expectation on him, he just needs to slowly build for us.”

Josh Battle and Howard both add to St Kilda’s flexibility as swingmen, while Marshall and Ryder are comfortable in the ruck or forward.

“Ryder and Marshall will be match-up based. If we think Paddy has a better match-up we can leave him in the ruck or vice versa,” Lade said.

“Marshall’s first two years at St Kilda were as a forward but with Bruce and (Paddy) McCartin and Tim Membrey he didn’t get many looks, so for him and all the talls it’s not getting outmarked, getting their shots at goal and giving a good contest in the air. He will do that. He runs really well and he’s really combative.”

"St Kilda might have lost Josh Bruce during the trade period, but it has no intention of rushing his likely replacement Max King. Forwards coach Brendon Lade outlines how the Saints will get the best out of their rising star.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
I note former player, Geoff Ablett has been caught up in the corruption scam currently engulfing the Casey Council. He played 200 games and was a dual premiership player at the Hawks. Played a bit for Richmond. Played a handful of games for us in 1985, I believe. Tomorrow's headlines are sure to scream, "Former St.Kilda star, Geoff Ablett, caught accepting bribes from Developers." Followed by an article outlining how poor our culture is and typically, how it produces corrupt people and destroys the characters of others.

I note former player, Geoff Ablett has been caught up in the corruption scam currently engulfing the Casey Council. He played 200 games and was a dual premiership player at the Hawks. Played a bit for Richmond. Played a handful of games for us in 1985, I believe. Tomorrow's headlines are sure to scream, "Former St.Kilda star, Geoff Ablett, caught accepting bribes from Developers." Followed by an article outlining how poor our culture is and typically, how it produces corrupt people and destroys the characters of others.
He played 11 games for us.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... d2de18b502

Jon Ralph, Herald Sun

St Kilda is adamant it can immediately find a way to replace Josh Bruce’s goal power after the bold decision to trade him to the Western Bulldogs.

And while forward coach Brendon Lade has raved about Max King’s speed and power he says the Saints must find a role which maximises his raw talents.

Stream the full or condensed replay of the 2019 Toyota AFL Grand Final on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Bruce was the collateral damage in the club’s trade period, the Saints happy for him to explore his options given it gave them cap space and an early pick to use at the trade table.

In 2019 he kicked 36 goals and took 43 contested marks, a reliable and unselfish target who continually brought the ball to ground if he didn’t mark the Sherrin.

Lade said St Kilda believed it had the arsenal to compete, with Paddy Ryder a new addition and ruckman Rowan Marshall more than capable of playing forward.

What the club won’t do is sacrifice 2018’s No. 4 draft pick King in a role that sees him battered by rival defenders, keen to get the athletically gifted star on the move.

“It’s going to be a tough one, losing all those goals and what (Bruce) can do for us, but we have brought Ryder in to help with that and while Dougal Howard will play defence he will spend some time in attack too,” Lade said.

“If we can get good contribution from Marshall and Ryder and bring the ball to ground, it should cover Brucey.

“Max King is training really well and hopefully he can add to the mix. The game is all about playing to your strengths so he is not going to be doing too much wrestling.

“It’s all about movement and him getting a run and jump at it. We need to get him in a position where he can do that. It he gets a run and jump at it with his arms at full stretch, there are not many guys who will get near him.”

King’s brother Ben finished his first year at Gold Coast with 11 goals in his last five games, with Max King a higher draft pick who could have gone No. 1 if not for an ACL tear.

Lade labelled his athleticism and speed “as good as any 200-plus centimetre guy I have seen”.

“The challenge is to get his body right and his legs strong and a good pre-season base behind him. He doesn’t get fazed by too much, he is a pretty relaxed and casual guy.

“For us there is not a lot of expectation on him, he just needs to slowly build for us.”

Josh Battle and Howard both add to St Kilda’s flexibility as swingmen, while Marshall and Ryder are comfortable in the ruck or forward.

“Ryder and Marshall will be match-up based. If we think Paddy has a better match-up we can leave him in the ruck or vice versa,” Lade said.

“Marshall’s first two years at St Kilda were as a forward but with Bruce and (Paddy) McCartin and Tim Membrey he didn’t get many looks, so for him and all the talls it’s not getting outmarked, getting their shots at goal and giving a good contest in the air. He will do that. He runs really well and he’s really combative.”

Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
Good article - sums up the situation well.
On Max King

On how to replace Bruce

"Ryder and Marshall will be match-up based. If we think Paddy has a better match-up we can leave him in the ruck or vice versa,” Lade said.

Those comments from Lade and the recent recruitments makes me think we will be playing a much faster "Richmond" style game next year with the likes of Jones, Hind, Kent, Parker and Butler bringing the necessary speed we have lacked.

Last edited:

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Indeed Drake!

No doubt it was the 11 games he played for the Saints as a cooked former speedster where he learned the seedy side of life!
And would have absolutely Nothing to do with being in the Ablett family!

Good article - sums up the situation well.
On Max King

On how to replace Bruce

"Ryder and Marshall will be match-up based. If we think Paddy has a better match-up we can leave him in the ruck or vice versa,” Lade said.

Those comments from Lade and the recent recruitments makes me think we will be playing a much faster "Richmond" style game next year with the likes of Jones, Hind, Kent, Parker and Butler bringing the necessary speed we have lacked.

Bit concerned that Max King did not run the time trial yesterday. Has there been any setback in his injury? Or is he just being managed as a precaution. I was really keen to find out how he measures up aerobically against the other youngsters.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I don't get how his sister had exactly the same accident (walking down incomplete set of steps at brother in law's house) and the guy didn't think to take care on those steps - unless both accidents happened at the same time, that's a pretty careless mistake for a person whose career depends heavily on keeping those leg and foot joints in good nick.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't get how his sister had exactly the same accident (walking down incomplete set of steps at brother in law's house) and the guy didn't think to take care on those steps - unless both accidents happened at the same time, that's a pretty careless mistake for a person whose career depends heavily on keeping those leg and foot joints in good nick.
No one ever accused them of being rocket surgeons austinnn.
Would be rude to expect coordination and depth perception that time of the morning anyways.
God knows l wouldn't expect it from myself or anyone on here..

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
No one ever accused them of being rocket surgeons austinnn.
Would be rude to expect coordination and depth perception that time of the morning anyways.
God knows l wouldn't expect it from myself or anyone on here..
Lolz. Rocket Surgeon eh...

Dr Spaceman over to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back