Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Let's open the dialogue on "The game they play in Heaven" for 2020 ... 🤗

Starts in Jan this year so there will be a few hot days. Hope the Rebels play some of the kiwi sides early. Hopefully their big boys in the tight 5 will struggle in the heat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should really start each season with Reds vs Tahs and Rebels vs Brumbies so only two Australian teams start off disappointed.

Sunwolves vs Rebels is like the adopted older child everyone wants to move out vs the accidental younger child nobody wanted in the first place.

They should really start each season with Reds vs Tahs and Rebels vs Brumbies so only two Australian teams start off disappointed.

Sunwolves vs Rebels is like the adopted older child everyone wants to move out vs the accidental younger child nobody wanted in the first place.
Lol still salty about the Force. That is the problem with Aus rugby none of the states or the state unions can look past themselves. I still think cutting the force was a terrible mistake but it would of been just as big of a mistake to cut the Rebels.

12 players on super rugby lists this year who played their junior rugby in Victoria. That is a sign that the pathways they are establishing and the work they are doing with the communities is working. Don’t get me wrong Perth was also starting to produce super rugby talent in a big way that’s why cutting them never made sense.

Lol still salty about the Force. That is the problem with Aus rugby none of the states or the state unions can look past themselves. I still think cutting the force was a terrible mistake but it would of been just as big of a mistake to cut the Rebels.

Damn right. Watching a team that isn't even going to be there next year vs a team that dubiously got to survive over mine and that no one really cares about doesn't really inspire.

12 players on super rugby lists this year who played their junior rugby in Victoria. That is a sign that the pathways they are establishing and the work they are doing with the communities is working. Don’t get me wrong Perth was also starting to produce super rugby talent in a big way that’s why cutting them never made sense.

That's all well and good, but when push comes to shove RA will turf the Rebels as quickly as they turfed the Force. No metric except money entering the RA coffers matters. RA would happily go back to picking a Wallabies side from Brisbane and Sydney club rugby.

Damn right. Watching a team that isn't even going to be there next year vs a team that dubiously got to survive over mine and that no one really cares about doesn't really inspire.

That's all well and good, but when push comes to shove RA will turf the Rebels as quickly as they turfed the Force. No metric except money entering the RA coffers matters. RA would happily go back to picking a Wallabies side from Brisbane and Sydney club rugby.
Look saying nobody cares about the Rebels is a cop out like the Force were any different.

The fact that Rugby Australia is incompetent and run by self interest is something we agree on. Every other sport in Australia understands the need for expansion Perth and Melbourne represent the future.

Look saying nobody cares about the Rebels is a cop out like the Force were any different.

The Force get better crowds to meaningless GRR games than the Rebels do to SR fixtures. There was a groundswell of public support to keep the Force. The push to keep the Rebels came from corporate level dealings, i.e. it was just easier for RA to keep them from a legal standpoint. Perth vs Melbourne in was a whole process, Perth vs Melbourne out was a farce.

The fact that Rugby Australia is incompetent and run by self interest is something we agree on. Every other sport in Australia understands the need for expansion Perth and Melbourne represent the future.

I don't have anything against the Rebels, it's not their fault RA are a joke. I barely watch SR any more but if I do I want to see DHP, Hardwick, Wessels etc. do well.

RA are equal parts inward looking and incompetent. WA is the third biggest rugby market in the country and has been cut loose. If there is any push to contract SR further they will just do the same to the Rebels who are now 10 years in the business (Force played 12) and starting to see local players come through the ranks.

I don't know if another governing body has ever considered a population of ~7m people that now produces international quality players so unimportant. I mean Qld and NSW still exist, but the whole point of growing WA/Vic is to complement that with a greater talent pool. RA need a Ross Oakley/Kevin Sheedy type figure that thinks outside the box.

The Force get better crowds to meaningless GRR games than the Rebels do to SR fixtures. There was a groundswell of public support to keep the Force. The push to keep the Rebels came from corporate level dealings, i.e. it was just easier for RA to keep them from a legal standpoint. Perth vs Melbourne in was a whole process, Perth vs Melbourne out was a farce.

I don't have anything against the Rebels, it's not their fault RA are a joke. I barely watch SR any more but if I do I want to see DHP, Hardwick, Wessels etc. do well.

RA are equal parts inward looking and incompetent. WA is the third biggest rugby market in the country and has been cut loose. If there is any push to contract SR further they will just do the same to the Rebels who are now 10 years in the business (Force played 12) and starting to see local players come through the ranks.

I don't know if another governing body has ever considered a population of ~7m people that now produces international quality players so unimportant. I mean Qld and NSW still exist, but the whole point of growing WA/Vic is to complement that with a greater talent pool. RA need a Ross Oakley/Kevin Sheedy type figure that thinks outside the box.
The problem was the support came to late to keep them. Like the crowds to super games weren’t great.

The Rebels have been riddled with problems I am happy to admit that even previous attempts to join they failed as they had corporates trying to make money out of the team Storm like and the VRU who wanted the team to help grow the game.

When you look at the storm there have been less local players on their list in their 25 year history than the Rebels currently have.

If the ARU was a competent organisation they would of put the team in Melbourne in 96 instead of the Brumbies. The Raiders ruled RL in the early 90s and at that time WA had the Reds. Then when the Reds were shut down the ARU should of moved into Perth.

If they moved into Melbourne and Perth in the late 90s and then put the 100m World Cup profit into grass roots and development instead of adopting their top down approach we would have 4 strong clubs now both on and off the field.

My highlight of last year was seeing the Bledisloe in Perth. Games like this should be shared around the country, not just in Sydney every year and Brisbane the years we get two games. At a minimum game one should be on a four year cycle between Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. With the second game being split between Brisbane and Sydney.

So hypothetically,
Year 1 Game 1 Melbourne Game 3 Brisbane
Year 2 Game 1 Sydney
Year 3 Game 1 Perth Game 3 Sydney
Year 4 Game 1 Brisbane

Brumbies have started ok and once again look to be the dominant Australian side. Hopefully with a bit less time spent working OS this year I can get over to see a couple of games.

Even News Corp have started publishing articles about how dismal the crowds in SR are. Be interesting to see which company line the Foxtel RA yes men toe.

The averages are dubious anyway with teams regularly trying to mask poor attendances with 'TBA' instead of the actual figure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back