2020 The Dead Rubber Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

There are some and I emphasise some West Coast supporters that are giant sooks. I mean as if this premiership doesn't count. Of course it does. It'll be a battle of attrition in a lot of ways but at the end of the day there'll be a team that stands up in the final month of the year and they'll win their deserved flag.

Personally I think anyone would cherish this premiership for overcoming a time with so much adversity. In fact it would be more memorable than your average flag which are often only interesting for a couple of years except to fans of that team.

I see this season as no more unfair, farcical or contrived than any normal AFL season, just this time it's a bit more overtly obvious that even boomers can see it.

BTW what will make it a great year or not will be if we see some entertaining and hard fought footy with amazing highlights and heroic deeds done on the field. I haven't seen anything like that yet.

There are some and I emphasise some West Coast supporters that are giant sooks. I mean as if this premiership doesn't count. Of course it does. It'll be a battle of attrition in a lot of ways but at the end of the day there'll be a team that stands up in the final month of the year and they'll win their deserved flag.

Personally I think anyone would cherish this premiership for overcoming a time with so much adversity. In fact it would be more memorable than your average flag which are often only interesting for a couple of years except to fans of that team.
It will definitely be a premiership remembered for generations thanks to the extraordinary circumstances. A lot of people know that Fitzroy won the premiership in 1916 when there were only 4 teams and all played finals thanks to WW1. Outside of supporters of clubs who did, I'm not sure anyone could name who won in 1915 or 1917.

And for the legitimacy? If any flag deserved an asterisk its that one. They won 5 games for the year and one of them happened to be the GF. But they were the rules of the competition in the year, and as such there is no asterisk next to that year nor their flag count. This year there are 18 teams and you're going to have to make the 8 to win it. Why would it be asterisked?

Hehe, if west coast start winning and get momentum when their back in WA for a month or so these threads will be very lol, even more so than now.

In the history books it still shows a premiership, I mean if Fitzroy can have a 1916 flag with only 4 sides in the comp, surely this one can count.
Especially as they were wooden spooners

I see this season as no more unfair, farcical or contrived than any normal AFL season, just this time it's a bit more overtly obvious that even boomers can see it.

BTW what will make it a great year or not will be if we see some entertaining and hard fought footy with amazing highlights and heroic deeds done on the field. I haven't seen anything like that yet.
I'm a boomer lad, only ones blinded to reality are you lefty millenials and your pc b.s..

Everyone plays each other once that's straight away the most even season since we let the Eagles join for their license money.

Jesus Christ I just roll my eyes when someone says this year's premiership means nothing. A premiership won is a premiership won.

It won't necessarily be a 'premiership won is a premiership won' - it could get downright farcical. If we have multiple situations like we were facing with Essendon, with teams suddenly forced to rest all of their best players throughout the year, then it could get a bit much. Imagine a Grand Final week where one team is suddenly forced to isolate 10 of of its best players, while the other team goes in full strength. You could kick and scream that the flag was 'legit' but you wouldn't be fooling anybody.

But that scenario is not what we are dealing with now. Right now every team is in the same boat, so at this stage, there's nothing illegitimate about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

premierships without fans are useless right?

If we happen to bob up and win it this year, have a guess how much I will care if some flogs on BF and elsewhere think it's a lesser achievement?

We already have hoards of jealous, delusional halfwits desperately attempting to make less of most of the flags we've ever won, so one more will make less than zero difference....

It will definitely be a premiership remembered for generations thanks to the extraordinary circumstances. A lot of people know that Fitzroy won the premiership in 1916 when there were only 4 teams and all played finals thanks to WW1. Outside of supporters of clubs who did, I'm not sure anyone could name who won in 1915 or 1917.

And for the legitimacy? If any flag deserved an asterisk its that one. They won 5 games for the year and one of them happened to be the GF. But they were the rules of the competition in the year, and as such there is no asterisk next to that year nor their flag count. This year there are 18 teams and you're going to have to make the 8 to win it. Why would it be asterisked?

1915 Carlton? 1917 Collingwood?

Hope: Eagles to get on a roll in the 2nd half of the season, finish top 4, win the flag.

Prob: Someone does a Doggies 2016, Tigers 2017 and Eagles 2018 and wins the flag that no one thought would win it.... teams like Port, North, StK.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hope: West Coast & GWS get their s**t together and make the Grand Final finishing 1 & 2. AFL Grand Final to be played at 70,000 capacity ANZ Stadium .

Prob: Collingwood win another October flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back