Analysis 2020 - The Year from Hell [MOD WARNING: NO TROLLS]

Remove this Banner Ad

Put a torch to 2020, I wouldn’t be too concerned about this season. It’s been so unpredictable and unstable, I can’t think of one thing that’s happened this year in or out of footy that I would want to revisit again in the future. I’m still of the belief the season shouldn’t have even gone ahead but it did and we live with it. It just feels like a pre-season round-robin style s**t fight to to reduce the haemorrhaging of cash out of the AFLs pockets.

Meh, I can’t wait until the season is over, this year has really shown how little of importance footy is in the grand scheme of things.

My concern with season is that when things go wrong we have had individuals who have struggled to get back into the game. I'm happy to put a line through this season and not have to look back. It's been frustrating to watch us deviate from the exciting brand of footy that we have seen in previous years.

Many of our "stars" have really underperformed while the blue collar type workers like Perryman and Daniels have shown their strengths and value to the club.

A few thoughts looking back in dismay, and forward in great expectation.

2020 post mortem

1. Humming in the preseason, through the Cats like a hot knife through butter in Round 1.

2. Virus shutdown - very badly managed by the football dept, difficult because of our players geographic spread, killed our momentum.

3. Short quarters - seriously hampered our ability to put oppo teams away in junk time.

4. KPD catastrophe - Sam Taylor (huge miss for 2020) and later Phil absences destroyed our backline.

5. Cogs overloaded. Massive mistake, good riddance Amazon, etc.

6. All not well in Coaches box. Gameplan failed to adapt to 3 and 4. Nicks missing must have been part of the problem, Line Coach walkouts very unnerving.

7. Seniors Downhill ski club (Captain J Cameron) - We had some senior players who were at times mailing it in for 2020. If our Top 10 players showed the same ticker as Mummy or Riccardi, 2020 would have been very different.

8. I love Mummy. Jacobs an epic fail.

9. Beat both grand finalists

2021: Yes, we can win the Flag.

1. Rinse and repeat - we must start hot again preseason and round 1.

2. No more virus shutdowns.

3. Full length games - will expose the oppo pretenders.

4.Taylor and Phil back, with our D likely seriously bolstered in trade period.

5. Cogs - train, play, get 20+ possessions and do the post match interview. Captain the AA team.

6. Leon, Stevie J and the boys need to pump up the tsunami. Must be a speed based game plan to counter the Tigers. We will need to, and have and will continue to, lower our average player age.

Also, Stevie J must sort out the mid-fwd connections. Do this and he’s in the frame as our next senior Coach.

7. With the Ski club Captain gone let’s get serious again. Toby should knock a few heads together for 2021 and sort it out.

8. Mummy can surely mould Preuss, And maybe a tough mid/fwd arrives from the Cattery?

9. Best Cats and Tiggers again, but this time in a Prelim and GF.

Conclusion

The future is bright, the future is Orange.

What concerns me is that the hunger wasn't there when the season resumed. There's still been no explanation as to why that was.

In previous seasons, we've been able to hide behind injuries or fatigue to explain or excuse falling short of expectations, but not this time.

I just sense that recovering from what went wrong this year will be more difficult than recovering from injuries or fatigue.

I hope I'm proved wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back