2020 Tour de France

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice win by Superman. Tomorrow the last real chance to get close enough to Roglic to overtake him in the TT for Pog. Richie should be able to out TT Lopez for a podium.

Nice win by Superman. Tomorrow the last real chance to get close enough to Roglic to overtake him in the TT for Pog. Richie should be able to out TT Lopez for a podium.
Your thoughts on what position Richie would be challenging for had he not lost 1.20 on stage 7?

Your thoughts on what position Richie would be challenging for had he not lost 1.20 on stage 7?
I think he's the best TT in the top 10, except maybe Pogacar (who has too big a lead for him to make up), but it's irrelevant at this point. He would have to be within 30 seconds to challenge Roglic, who is also excellent against the clock.

Yates is a sneak top 5 chance still though if he does well on the TT.

EDIT: Looking up Roglic's TT stats, he's ahead of Richie, who is probably in the 11-15 mark in world TT, whereas Primoz is top 10 minimum, probably top 5

Last edited:
How close would Lopez be if not for that stupid fall in the wet in the first week.
Similar could be said for Pogacar. If he didn’t get caught in the split in the Peleton because of the cross winds on a flat stage, would be leading right now.

If I were to rank the top 8 (aka the ones within 5 minutes of Primoz) on TT ability from what I've seen/studied I'd go with:

1. Roglic
2. Porte
3. Pogacar
4. Uran
5. Lopez
6. Yates
7. Landa
8. Mas

Enric Mas is a genuine chance to drop behind Dumoulin on the ITT who is the best in the race this year, except maybe Tony Martin.

I think he's the best TT in the top 10, except maybe Pogacar (who has too big a lead for him to make up), but it's irrelevant at this point. He would have to be within 30 seconds to challenge Roglic, who is also excellent against the clock.

Yates is a sneak top 5 chance still though if he does well on the TT.

EDIT: Looking up Roglic's TT stats, he's ahead of Richie, who is probably in the 11-15 mark in world TT, whereas Primoz is top 10 minimum, probably top 5
The next time a Yates (Simon or Adam) rides well in an ITT will be the first. They're both horrible at the discipline.

The next time a Yates (Simon or Adam) rides well in an ITT will be the first. They're both horrible at the discipline.
He's better than Landa and Mas at least, needs to hope he has a big enough gap to Uran who is very good against the clock, and Dumoulin to stay ahead of them for top 5.

He's better than Landa and Mas at least, needs to hope he has a big enough gap to Uran who is very good against the clock, and Dumoulin to stay ahead of them for top 5.
He's better than Landa & Mas... which speaks volumes for how bad they are against the clock. Yates will lose minutes, they will lose even more. In their favour is the fact that it's only 36km.

Yates only has a 10 second lead over Uran right now. He'll lose that after the first 2km of the TT. Dumoulin is 4:09 behind Yates, which is a genuine 50/50 call.

It's hard to see Yates holding onto 5th, with Uran only 10 seconds down going into the TT. The big question is whether or not he can hang on for 6th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's better than Landa & Mas... which speaks volumes for how bad they are against the clock. Yates will lose minutes, they will lose even more. In their favour is the fact that it's only 36km.

Yates only has a 10 second lead over Uran right now. He'll lose that after the first 2km of the TT. Dumoulin is 4:09 behind Yates, which is a genuine 50/50 call.

It's hard to see Yates holding onto 5th, with Uran only 10 seconds down going into the TT. The big question is whether or not he can hang on for 6th.
If Uran has another day like last night tonight he could seriously drop 5+ minutes.

I'm always surprised when a British or an Australian GC contender is bad against the clock. The two countries arguably have half the top 20 time trialists in the world right now. Like they're so good at it, how the hell did the Yates brothers never be any good?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back