2020 Tour de France

Remove this Banner Ad

To think that Pogacar is 8th for green as well.
Oh the winners are usually top 10 in green due to points being available on mountain top finishes still. Cadel was 7th or 8th when he won

How many riders have won 3 jerseys at the TDF? I know Eddie Merckx won all 4, at various stages in his career.
To think that Pogacar is 8th for green as well.
Still 176pts behind the leader though (Bennett on 319, Pogacar on 143). 8th, yes, but nowhere close to winning the jersey. I guess he'll just have to settle for yellow, polka-dot, and white ;)

How many riders have won 3 jerseys at the TDF? I know Eddie Merckx won all 4, at various stages in his career.

Still 176pts behind the leader though (Bennett on 319, Pogacar on 143). 8th, yes, but nowhere close to winning the jersey. I guess he'll just have to settle for yellow, polka-dot, and white ;)

Yellow + Polka dots must surely be common??

Bernal was only a couple of points off all 3 last year wasnt he?

First time it has been done!

As well as the yellow jersey, Pogačar will take home the white jersey of best young rider, plus the polka dot jersey – the first rider to win all three at one Tour de France in history, since the white jersey didn't exist in the time of Eddy Merckx.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-france-2020/stage-20/results/

There are 3 thing which made last night's stage so outstanding..

Completely Unexpected Result
Sure, we've seen the golden fleece change hands on the penultimate day before. Cadel Evans did it to Andy Schleck in 2011, but that result was expected given the time gap and the disparity in TT ability between the two riders. Very few, if any, expected Pogacar to take back 57 seconds on Roglic, let alone beat him by 1:56. Pogacar beat Roglic by 9 seconds, in a mountain TT, in the Slovenian National Championships. Nobody extrapolated that to a 1:56 thrashing in the Tour.

Outstanding Individual Ride
Contrary to Matt Keenan's over-excited commentary last night, Roglic didn't crack and he didn't have a bad ride. It's just that Pogacar's ride was phenomenal. If you told me, before the stage, that Roglic would lose the TT to Dumoulin by 25 seconds, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. Dumoulin has been World Champion in the TT, and is an excellent climber. Roglic finishing 25 seconds behind Dumoulin is probably as good as it gets for him. Pogacar beat Dumoulin's time by 1:21. The story here is all about Pogacar's amazing ride, first, last, and every electron in between. They say you can't win the Tour on a single stage, but you can lose it - Pogacar won it on a single stage, and we all watched as he did it last night.

Robbing UK Postal of a Consolation Prize
This is just an added bonus, and incidental to everything else that happened. Team Land Rover's leader had his pants pulled down, and they never looked like being a dominant team in this year's Tour. Going into the TT, they had 2 consolation prizes - Kwiatkowski's stage win, and Carapaz in polka-dots. Pogacar ripped the polka dot jersey off Carapaz's back, leaving Land Rover with just the solitary stage win as a small band aid covering a gaping wound. Any misfortune which befalls UK Postal is a good thing in my eyes.

99 times out of 100 that TT from Roglic not only holds onto that lead but extends it. Freakish ride from Pogacâr

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys reckon Sagan will even try to attempt to win back green? Surely he knows that even if he wins the stage Bennett will still get 15+ points over the course of it?

99 times out of 100 that TT from Roglic not only holds onto that lead but extends it. Freakish ride from Pogacâr

Most of the other teams hold the view that Roglic is vulnerable in the 3rd week of a GT.

Valverde from last years Vuelta:

“We do not know if he will weaken,” said Valverde. “At the moment, he has not shown any weakness, although on Monday when he attacked for the second time, Miguel Ángel López opened a gap. Although then Roglič was able to hunt them down and we minimised the losses. He has always shown weakness last week, but today he looks good.”

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...ryone-speaks-roglic-already-vuelta-won-437255

Most of the other teams hold the view that Roglic is vulnerable in the 3rd week of a GT.

Valverde from last years Vuelta:

“We do not know if he will weaken,” said Valverde. “At the moment, he has not shown any weakness, although on Monday when he attacked for the second time, Miguel Ángel López opened a gap. Although then Roglič was able to hunt them down and we minimised the losses. He has always shown weakness last week, but today he looks good.”

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...ryone-speaks-roglic-already-vuelta-won-437255
Yeah but the thing is he wasn't weak this week. In fact he extended his lead on Wednesday I think?

The TT he did was 35 seconds down from Tom Dumoulin, probably the best GC time trialist in the world and arguably the best mountain time trialist in the world (Dennis doesn't have his climbing ability).

On any other GT that's a race winning TT. He lost to Pogacar in a one in 100 time trial, Dumoulin, and Porte, who is pretty damn good in a TT as well. Let's not disrespect Pogacar, that time trial was amazing.

Yeah but the thing is he wasn't weak this week. In fact he extended his lead on Wednesday I think?

The TT he did was 35 seconds down from Tom Dumoulin, probably the best GC time trialist in the world and arguably the best mountain time trialist in the world (Dennis doesn't have his climbing ability).

On any other GT that's a race winning TT. He lost to Pogacar in a one in 100 time trial, Dumoulin, and Porte, who is pretty damn good in a TT as well. Let's not disrespect Pogacar, that time trial was amazing.

Phenomenal ride by Pogacar but
(1) Take out the time loss from the cross-winds and Pogacar is 30 seconds ahead of Roglic
(2) the comparison to Dumoulin's TT exploits isn't a fair comparison IMO.
Dumoulin is nowhere near his best and Pogacar has smashed Dumoulin on every climb in the Tour this year, I don't see how it is a surprise that Pogacar smashed him on the climb in the ITT.

First time it has been done!

As well as the yellow jersey, Pogačar will take home the white jersey of best young rider, plus the polka dot jersey – the first rider to win all three at one Tour de France in history, since the white jersey didn't exist in the time of Eddy Merckx.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-france-2020/stage-20/results/
Merckx won the 4 available in 1969 - yellow, green, polka dot and combativity. He also won a 5th that only was around for 20 years or so a combined classification which was an ugly thing. He won that 1969-72 inclusive + 1974.

He won 3 in 1970 - yellow, polka dot and combativity. White jersey was introduced in 1975.

Great ride by Pogacar. Gotta wonder if such a different season favoured a powerful young rider over the older blokes as he wasn't worn out as much compared to a normal season.

1600576980585.png

Great ride by Pogacar. Gotta wonder if such a different season favoured a powerful young rider over the older blokes as he wasn't worn out as much compared to a normal season.

Exuberance of youth, a phenomenal talent and absence of fear.
Wasn't bothered having to do most of it on his own, wasn't scared to attack and was realistic about blowing himself up riding the way he wanted to ride.

The days of old blokes using 6 domestiques to control the race might be over.
Will be a cracker race next year with Bernal, Pogacar and Evenepoel going head to head.

I feel Dumoulin's comments are pretty direspectful, he rode a TT bike up a climb with multiple 11% sections. The bike would have to be at least a kilo heavier than a road bike and his body weight would 10kg heavier than Pog. VanAert would also 10kg heavier. At 400 watts the Pog would be about 2-3kmh quicker up the climb than those 2. The bigger question is how he was so fast on the flat.

I feel Dumoulin's comments are pretty direspectful, he rode a TT bike up a climb with multiple 11% sections. The bike would have to be at least a kilo heavier than a road bike and his body weight would 10kg heavier than Pog. VanAert would also 10kg heavier. At 400 watts the Pog would be about 2-3kmh quicker up the climb than those 2. The bigger question is how he was so fast on the flat.

Totally agree, Dumoulin's been snarky ever since Froome's 80k breakaway in the Giro 2 years.
Porte also beat him by 35 seconds on the climb, he never questioned that.

IMO they didn't go that quick on the flat, to conserve energy for the climb.
Pog was just too good.

Totally agree, Dumoulin's been snarky ever since Froome's 80k breakaway in the Giro 2 years.
Porte also beat him by 35 seconds on the climb, he never questioned that.

IMO they didn't go that quick on the flat, to conserve energy for the climb.
Pog was just too good.

La Planche des Belle Filles records (5.9kms)

Nibali - 16:40
Froome - 16:20
Aru - 16:12
Pogacar - 16:10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back