List Mgmt. 2020 Trade/FA TARGETS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade hypotheticals and discussion of how you think or want a trade to happen go here - 2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread.

If you want to talk about a current Hawthorn player and if they’re staying on the list, it goes here - Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Trade/FA targets thread is for discussion of News about players we are to target via trade of FA. It’s not for “Kane Cornes says we should get this player”.

I think we should just focus on the trade aspect, seen enough evidence that Free Agency isn't really our thing.
If our modus operandi was to quit trying when things don't work out the first few times, we would never have had the on field success we've had. We'll keep trying and eventually we will make waves in free agency.

its as if posters just forget the free agents we do sign.....

a majority of players don't exercise free agency, its just a salary negotiation technique. When some players have actively chose to leave, and we've chased, we haven't missed out too often

its as if posters just forget the free agents we do sign.....

a majority of players don't exercise free agency, its just a salary negotiation technique. When some players have actively chose to leave, and we've chased, we haven't missed out too often
We've missed a bit often.

Sloane, Cogs & Lynch in recent times. Was rumours we were into Dangerfield at the time & I'm pretty sure we had a run at Gaff. There were some weird rumours surrounding Fyfe a couple of years back but I'm not sure about that one.

The majority of FA movements that we're involved with are when guys like Buddy, Suckers, Doc leave for other clubs. Was Clinton Young also a FA? Tom Murphy?

Of course we'll not stop swinging, but as you suggest - a majority of players don't exercise the FA function & so it's probs not a reliable means for acquiring targets if the sole or even primary method used.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should just focus on the trade aspect, seen enough evidence that Free Agency isn't really our thing.
We will always chase free agents, for two reasons...

1: you’ve got to be in it to win it.
2: it creates a market that opposition teams need to counter

Sloane, Cogs & Lynch in recent times. Was rumours we were into Dangerfield at the time & I'm pretty sure we had a run at Gaff. There were some weird rumours surrounding Fyfe a couple of years back but I'm not sure about that one.

The majority of FA movements that we're involved with are when guys like Buddy, Suckers, Doc leave for other clubs. Was Clinton Young also a FA? Tom Murphy?

Of course we'll not stop swinging, but as you suggest - a majority of players don't exercise the FA function & so it's probs not a reliable means for acquiring targets if the sole or even primary method used.
We don't miss if the FA stays with their club

The only ones who left were danger and lynch. Don’t think we were ever seriously into danger. Lynch we missed on the rest we got outbid by the home team. We know our price.

? Of course no.

But this myth that we are bad at FA is wrong and dumb
Results-wise, we're better than most & I think our offering is as good as any club (I think it's better, but of course I'm biased our way).

I also think the perception that we're bad is skewed. We seem to get to the final decision a bit, yet the player stays or goes elsewhere; but, that has to be seen in the correct light: i.e. We got to the final decision stage. 12-15 other clubs aren't even getting that far, which I reckon shows that we are pretty good at this FA stuff.

IMO, no club is (yet) 'good' at converting FAs into acquisitions.

But I do consider a player staying at their club as a 'miss', just as much as if they go to another club. Either way, they're not with us. Probs semantics though, worrying about the terminology of 'miss'.

Results-wise, we're better than most & I think our offering is as good as any club (I think it's better, but of course I'm biased our way).

I also think the perception that we're bad is skewed. We seem to get to the final decision a bit, yet the player stays or goes elsewhere; but, that has to be seen in the correct light: i.e. We got to the final decision stage. 12-15 other clubs aren't even getting that far, which I reckon shows that we are pretty good at this FA stuff.

IMO, no club is (yet) 'good' at converting FAs into acquisitions.

But I do consider a player staying at their club as a 'miss', just as much as if they go to another club. Either way, they're not with us. Probs semantics though, worrying about the terminology of 'miss'.

So do I, especially when we have to read 3000 pages on this board talking about them before they eventually stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back