List Mgmt. 2020 Trade and List Management Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
North Melbourne is keen to secure a mid-20s draft pick in exchange for Ben Brown, who has strong interest from three clubs including Melbourne.

The Demons were impressed by Brown in an interview and believed he could ease into a forward line alongside Luke Jackson and Sam Weideman, but have a limit on the offer they can hand him.

It means if Brown is looking for the significant $700,000-plus contract that North Melbourne had at one stage offered him before pulling that offer he will have to look elsewhere.

The Demons will lose mid-sized forward Mitch Hannan to the Western Bulldogs, after their two-year offer was trumped by a three-year deal.

They will retain contracted small defender Neville Jetta, with Collingwood adamant they will not lodge a trade offer for the out-of-favour defender.

If a rival took Tom McDonald off Melbourne’s hands despite a significant contract with two years to run, the club might have more freedom to offer Brown a bigger deal.

But at this stage neither party has committed to each other, with Melbourne’s expectation that he will also speak to other clubs, including Fremantle and Essendon.

The Roos are happy to trade Shaun Higgins to the Cats for family considerations but only if they can secure reasonable compensation from Geelong.

The Cats will bring in Higgins to play a similar role to Gary Ablett at the same age, and were prepared to exchange their No.19 pick for Gold Coast’s No.24 pick and swap a future second-rounder for a future fourth-rounder.

Higgins remains a dynamic half forward so the Roos will be keen to improve their draft order or secure a late second-round pick for the 32-year-old.
I would swap BB for Jackson, no problems.

This is a question we may not find out the answer to quickly enough for some people unfortunately, whatever it is.
It means if Brown is looking for the significant $700,000-plus contract that North Melbourne had at one stage offered him before pulling that offer he will have to look elsewhere.
This says it all for me.

a) He's not worth it. So says the market. A player is only worth as much as what people are prepared to pay
b) We won't be bent over by player managers

Clearly the club thinks 750 x 4 years (or whatever the demands were) can be better spent.

And also when the club took the offer off the table I have no doubt they were aware of the ballpark return for putting him up for trade. The have held strong on their position and even if the decision ends up a nett loss it is the right message to send at exactly the right time.

A strong, decisive, unwavering and measured response to an adverse situation. Whatever the outcome the club has placed itself perfectly to rightfully say they did the right thing and made the best decision for the members, the team and the future.

THAT is leadership.

Exciting times.

If all you want for Brown is pick 23, why the hell are you even trying to get rid of him?

How is pick 23 going to help your club more than Brown and is it a full blown conclusion he is going?

The best 2 years of Ben's remaining career will likely be '21 and '22, both years in which the club has committed to rebuilding. He's not an integral leader (never been in the leadership group), and he has trade currency. I think it's pretty clear why we're looking to trade him now, whether or not a lot of us agree with it.

North Melbourne is keen to secure a mid-20s draft pick in exchange for Ben Brown
I love the ******* wording of that...

Now we are the lucky ones if we get a mid-20s pick :drunk:

2020 has been crazy but this almost takes the cake.

The best 2 years of Ben's remaining career will likely be '21 and '22, both years in which the club has committed to rebuilding. He's not an integral leader (never been in the leadership group), and he has trade currency. I think it's pretty clear why we're looking to trade him now, whether or not a lot of us agree with it.

that's ridiculous, he's got at least 6 more years of top level footy in him barring some degenerative injury. big men don't just hang it up at 29 these days, science has advanced. don't forget how good waitey was for us even up until the end.

If all you want for Brown is pick 23, why the hell are you even trying to get rid of him?

How is pick 23 going to help your club more than Brown and is it a full blown conclusion he is going?

Because when you combine picks 23&25 for lower picks - like pick 12 then that’s a win win.

and who know what we get for Higgins

clubs like bulldogs for example need to release drafts points to gain academy players so those early picks are in play for later picks

North Melbourne is keen to secure a mid-20s draft pick in exchange for Ben Brown, who has strong interest from three clubs including Melbourne.

The Demons were impressed by Brown in an interview and believed he could ease into a forward line alongside Luke Jackson and Sam Weideman, but have a limit on the offer they can hand him.

The Demons will lose mid-sized forward Mitch Hannan to the Western Bulldogs, after their two-year offer was trumped by a three-year deal.

They will retain contracted small defender Neville Jetta, with Collingwood adamant they will not lodge a trade offer for the out-of-favour defender.

If a rival took Tom McDonald off Melbourne’s hands despite a significant contract with two years to run, the club might have more freedom to offer Brown a bigger deal.

But at this stage neither party has committed to each other, with Melbourne’s expectation that he will also speak to other clubs, including Fremantle and Essendon.

The Roos are happy to trade Shaun Higgins to the Cats for family considerations but only if they can secure reasonable compensation from Geelong.

The Cats will bring in Higgins to play a similar role to Gary Ablett at the same age, and were prepared to exchange their No.19 pick for Gold Coast’s No.24 pick and swap a future second-rounder for a future fourth-rounder.

Higgins remains a dynamic half forward so the Roos will be keen to improve their draft order or secure a late second-round pick for the 32-year-old.

I hope these picks aren’t being leaked by the club. Late second wouldn’t be worth it for Higgins, you’d much rather have him leading the young kids. And if we’re ‘keen’ for a ******* second rounder for Brown, we might as well pack up shop now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Browns only worth a pick from 15-25 to be honest - I would take 23 and get a few other second rounders and load to get in earlier so we have more lower picks

23 would be close to 28 after compo/academy shafting

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I love the ******* wording of that...

Now we are the lucky ones if we get a mid-20s pick :drunk:

2020 has been crazy but this almost takes the cake.

It's good to see more people picking up on the agendas of the weasly pieces of s**t in the AFL media.

that's ridiculous, he's got at least 6 more years of top level footy in him barring some degenerative injury. big men don't just hang it up at 29 these days, science has advanced. don't forget how good waitey was for us even up until the end.

This I seriously doubt and think mgt do too hence they didn't want to offer that fourth year as would be starting that year at 31.... happy to be proved otherwise but think he probably has a couple left and at what level remains to be seen....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would we trade, arguably our best player, the most marketable, the one the kids love, for a speculative second round pick!?

Because he refused to sign the contract we offered.

This is all on Ben.

Because he refused to sign the contract we offered.

This is all on Ben.

If you weren't so hopelessly compromised by personal politics you would expand on this and tell the broader truth.

If you weren't so hopelessly compromised by personal politics you would expand on this and tell the broader truth.

Mate, you might want to go an easy on the "compromised by personal politics" stuff when you routinely create entire fantasies like us cutting the VFL team to subsidise the W side straight out of your own personal politics.

There's no big secret or hidden gender with Ben I know about.

We had a lucrative deal on the table for Ben earlier this year. This is established fact.

Ben, on the advice of his idiot manager, rejected that deal.

We then said no, we're not budging from our figure.

Ben then plays poorly and gets injured.

The marketplace changes under Ben's feet and he finds himself where he is.

If Ben had CHOSEN TO SIGN the deal that would have made him one of the highest players in the game when we offered it to him.

Any suggestion we're driving Ben out is laughable.

We offered him a massive deal that he rejected.

Any suggestion we're driving Ben out is laughable.

We offered him a massive deal that he rejected.

Is there an avenue back to the club for him?

I legitimately have no issue with us playing a hard-line on the initial stuff.

But a second round pick feels bloody minded at proving a point.

This says it all for me.

a) He's not worth it. So says the market. A player is only worth as much as what people are prepared to pay
b) We won't be bent over by player managers

Clearly the club thinks 750 x 4 years (or whatever the demands were) can be better spent.

And also when the club took the offer off the table I have no doubt they were aware of the ballpark return for putting him up for trade. The have held strong on their position and even if the decision ends up a nett loss it is the right message to send at exactly the right time.

A strong, decisive, unwavering and measured response to an adverse situation. Whatever the outcome the club has placed itself perfectly to rightfully say they did the right thing and made the best decision for the members, the team and the future.

THAT is leadership.

Exciting times.
But "waa waa waa, we're losing BBB. What will the kiddies do".

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back