List Mgmt. 2020 Trade and List Management Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on, that's an insulting offer.

Not an offer that you would give a bloke you want to keep.

My point is, if you had a player and you didn't want them, then why would you offer a contract? You would offer $0, if you are offering $500k you are offering an above average salary.

How do you get from $850kx3 to $500kx2 to $0 in the space of 6 months?

So if he accepted the $500k contract and signed, he would still be here at the club... so the difference is what we value him? Is whatever variance between our two positions worthy of shipping him off for a mid second round pick? That sound completely crazy to me.

They don’t want him on 650+ x 3Y.

I do think if he was willing to accept sub 600 x 2Y it would be a different story.

All just my assumption though.

We still have to pay our TPP though. Who are we actually paying? We don't want to overpay kids because that gives them GWS-like expectations for crazy money. Looking at our list and all the mature players, who are we actually paying our cap to? It is not like we can just say * it, we will only pay 50%, we need to spend 95%+

My point is, if you had a player and you didn't want them, then why would you offer a contract? You would offer $0, if you are offering $500k you are offering an above average salary.

So if he accepted the $500k contract and signed, he would still be here at the club... so the difference is what we value him? Is whatever variance between our two positions worthy of shipping him off for a mid second round pick? That sound completely crazy to me.

You offer him the contract knowing full well he won't accept it, then you have up with the high moral ground when he leaves.

We still have to pay our TPP though. Who are we actually paying? We don't want to overpay kids because that gives them GWS-like expectations for crazy money. Looking at our list and all the mature players, who are we actually paying our cap to? It is not like we can just say fu** it, we will only pay 50%, we need to spend 95%+
No idea re the remainder of the list - Norths list management team are obviously keeping their cards close, but using TPP to justify overpaying Brown isn’t the approach we should be taking IMO

Do you think something bigger has to be at play? Kinda sounds like it - seems like we don't rate him enough

That's probably where it all lands, isn't it?

We revised our view of his value post 2019 and our assumption is that the rest of the competition has a similar perception of his value.

It's a bitter pill to swallow for us, his fans, but take the emotion out ...
It seems really strange to me that we as a football department would have such a significant change of heart as to his value based off a handful of COVID impacted and team injuries affected games. I understand the rationale around trading Brown as a valuable commodity at this stage of our overall list development, I don't understand trading Brown for peanuts when we offered him $850k per year just months ago.

The are only three things that would cover this.

One, the first offer was initially offered by the old regime and once rejected, the new regime was given imprimatur to change the offer based upon their assumption of his worth.

Two, his knee injury/ies have degenerated over the course of the last few months to the point where there is no point in trying to trade for anything resembling value for a bloke capable of kicking 60+ goals a season.

Three, we have screwed up the negotiations by lowballing him with the second offer and now have to accept that this will be used as a valuation by other clubs.

Anyways, I know your only as good as your last game an all that, but pick 23-28 seems a lowball range for a guy who has kicked almost 200 goals in his last 70 odd games, regardless of the type of weaknesses his style of play comes with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t believe a word of these fraud trade accounts on Twitter and Facebook, however very happy if we happen to secure Wil Powell

It seems really strange to me that we as a football department would have such a significant change of heart as to his value based off a handful of COVID impacted and team injuries affected games. I understand the rationale around trading Brown as a valuable commodity at this stage of our overall list development, I don't understand trading Brown for peanuts when we offered him $850k per year just months ago.

The are only three things that would cover this.

One, the first offer was initially offered by the old regime and once rejected, the new regime was given imprimatur to change the offer based upon their assumption of his worth.

Two, his knee injury/ies have degenerated over the course of the last few months to the point where there is no point in trying to trade for anything resembling value for a bloke capable of kicking 60+ goals a season.

Three, we have screwed up the negotiations by lowballing him with the second offer and now have to accept that this will be used as a valuation by other clubs.

Anyways, I know your only as good as your last game an all that, but pick 23-28 seems a lowball range for a guy who has kicked almost 200 goals in his last 70 odd games, regardless of the type of weaknesses his style of play comes with.

I would say a combination of 1 and 2, plus perhaps non-football reasons. But perhaps not.

Not dismissing 3 as a possibility, but it strikes me as the least likely.

We still have to pay our TPP though. Who are we actually paying? We don't want to overpay kids because that gives them GWS-like expectations for crazy money. Looking at our list and all the mature players, who are we actually paying our cap to? It is not like we can just say fu** it, we will only pay 50%, we need to spend 95%+

Is there something that if we don't pay our players min cap, we have to return the difference to the AFL?

What would a Will Powell cost?

They spent a 1st rounder on a skinny kid who's only just now starting to put on some weight and build a body that will withstand the rigours of the AFL - he's also shown quite a bit despite being skinny.

They are well within their rights to push for pick 9 but I hope we stand firm on a 2nd rounder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back