List Mgmt. 2020 Trade and List Management Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's Jy Simpkin & Luke Davies-Uniake going to be worth in 3 years time?

Look, the club might look at him, but it makes poor sense to me.

Contract value: Elite
Contract risk: High
Trade value: High
Player effectiveness: Moderate
Physical resilience: Moderate

ALL of the first 3 factors need to come down.

The path we're heading, plus the reasons you've outlined would make it 100,000 -1 we'd even look at him.

We shoved Higgins to a wing so we could get serious middle time into Jy and LDU. We're hardly going to move Shaun on and then bring Treloar in to that mix.

Unless of course, you wanted Dustin to remain at market share Richmond.

Wait you mean that the AFL who'd just paid out however many millions for the Dustin mini version running around in a Richmond jumper had a vested interest in him staying there as he was practically the cornerstone of the whole marketing campaign?

Anyone would think that the AFL make up the rules as they go and were not a fair and honourable organisation.

I refuse to believe your slanderous accusations against Ol' Gil.

Goddard actually put forward a reasonable Treloar trade.

Club picks up his contract for 5 x $600K p.a.
Collingwood gets late 1st rounder in return.

Anyone offering a 1st is out of their mind. Not many chances to truly bend over a club, this is it. Take the whole salary and offer a token pick. That is all I would do. From a North perspective, pay $1.3-1.5m over the next 2 years, and have the salary gone by the time we negotiate the next gen stars.

Anyone offering a 1st is out of their mind. Not many chances to truly bend over a club, this is it. Take the whole salary and offer a token pick. That is all I would do. From a North perspective, pay $1.3-1.5m over the next 2 years, and have the salary gone by the time we negotiate the next gen stars.

You're a hard negotiator mate.

I'm aware of the blokes limitations, but I don't reckon that 5 x $600K for pick 15-18 (likely to be 17/19 - 21/23) is a reach.

Not sure why we are even discussing Treloar

Huge salary
Coachability and Attitude concerns (we've tried to move Polec on for exactly the same reasons)

All points go against the direction that the club is heading in.

Plus I thought if he was going anywhere it would be to QLD with his partner?

And what message does that send to some of our existing and potential stars who wouldn't be on anywhere near that sort of money?

Last edited:
I heard Sam Hayes mentioned this morning as a player Port could be move on to accommodate bringing players in.
I've been banging on about this guy for 2 years, perfect player to bring in under Goldy and take over from him in the coming years.
Hasn't he been struggling with leg injuries?

I'm aware of the blokes limitations, but I don't reckon that 5 x $600K for pick 15-18 (likely to be 17/19 - 21/23) is a reach.

Mate what the.. I can't find the punchline?

A heft wage plus a 1st rounder for a bloke with alleged issues they're desperate to get off the books?

In reality we “need” the best, most explosive, most capable of tearing a game apart, player in the game, or at least one of them. Martin and to a lesser extent Dangerfield fit that bill. Both players are mids that go fwd when they want, and are the most dangerous, and most damaging when fwd of the ball.
In the GF Martin changes the game, Geelong was the better team, had a better team performance, but Richmond had Martin. Danger apart from one or two moments played like sh*t... that’s why Richmond won.
Having solid foot soldiers who can run and distribute and pressure works in a team with an all time star. The way to find an all time star is to have as many cracks at top end talent as we can get. We aren’t looking for 7-8 Agrade footballers, we are looking for ONE Dustin Martin/Patrick Dangerfield/Marcus Bontempelli/Nat Fyfe....
Petracca is fast becoming that player also...
He is another high pick MID/FWD with explosive capabilities.
I think Simpkin & LDU both have tools to become seriously elite players. Add Hollands to the mix & we could have 3 top liners with plenty of tricks. Not to mention Thomas - not sure if he ever becomes a full time mid though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we play out the Treloar stuff who does he move out of the middle?

because he would move someone out of the middle.

Our starting mid line up next year should be Goldy, Cunners, Jy, LDU With a bunch of others moving through there.

We bring in Treloar and he likely moves one fo the younger 2 out and that can't be the preferred path.

outside of midfield where does Treloar play? To take him we would likely make him the highest paid player next year and to fit with the rebuild we'd be playing him somewhere that isn't his proper position.

There is an attraction to spending the cap space we have to enable such a move. We could do it. The question is should we.

We have no coach currently. We saw with Rhyce, the allowing of younger players to play the roles they are developing to play. There is no saying that the new coach would do that. We only need to look and LMac to so that pigeon holing a player is not great for their development I don't want LDU playing 20 ineffectual games across the forward line. it would be a waste.

The reports are it's closer to $900K at the back end of the deal.

What Collingwood would ideally want, and what they might accept, are two different things.

That was the point I was making with Goddard's view.

Collingwood cops the late 1st round pick and $0-300K p.a. difference in that contract.

If we play out the Treloar stuff who does he move out of the middle?

because he would move someone out of the middle.

Our starting mid line up next year should be Goldy, Cunners, Jy, LDU With a bunch of others moving through there.

We bring in Treloar and he likely moves one fo the younger 2 out and that can't be the preferred path.

outside of midfield where does Treloar play? To take him we would likely make him the highest paid player next year and to fit with the rebuild we'd be playing him somewhere that his proper position.

There is an attraction to spending the cap space we have to enable such a move. We could do it. The question is should we.

We have no coach currently. We saw with Rhyce, the allowing of younger players to play the roles they are developing to play. There is no saying that the new coach would do that. We only need to look and LMac to so that pigeon holing a player is not great for their development I don't want LDU playing 20 ineffectual games across the forward line. it would be a waste.

We put a duel B&F and model citizen on the wing to accommodate developing youngsters but in some universe would want to bring in Treloar and reverse this strategy?

Salary dumps aren't a thing yet but gut feel says don't trade for a net list loss to improve draft position.

It's like football's equivalent of intentionally negatively gearing.

We are not quite there yet, but other big sports put an enormous value on the salary dump, NFL being the one I am intimate with. The value Collingwood get from the TPP freedom is their real value here. That is why the draft pick doesn't have to be high. It is why so many GWS players left cheap as well. This is exactly the same situation complicated by the fact the Pies paid so much to get him.

We don't 100% have to get him, but I think he could make a pretty big difference. We have Cunners, Jy and LDU as the Grade A type players, but we lack one with pure top end speed and that is Treloar. Add in an A type winger in Polec and good support players like Jy, Thomas, Ziebell, Dumont and hopefully a fit Zurhaar, the midfield goes from a liability to a real strength with a real mix of types. That hopefully eases the pressure on the defence and gives our forwards (now likely to be a mobile forward line with Larkey the only true KP) the chance to make space and create scoreboard pressure.

See I would think we take him and his salary on then they give us a draft pick. Seriously. That’s a win for them if they don’t want him.

Treloar doesn't fit the profile for our rebuild.

Unless we are getting remunerated with a pick for taking on his salary, it is a mute point.

moot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back