List Mgmt. 2020 Trade and List Management Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to find the exact wording on it but we would be eligible based on this:

In the 2012 pre-season, the AFL, with the unanimous support of the 18 clubs, removed the provision for priority picks automatically based upon finishing results, and with the AFL commission retaining the power to award priority picks on a discretionary basis.[1]

To allow for this situation, a formula has been developed that takes into account such factors as:

• premiership points that a club has received over a period of years (with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • a club's percentage (points for/points against x 100) over a period of years (another indication of on-field competitiveness, with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • any finals appearances that a club has made in recent seasons,
  • any premierships that a club has won in recent seasons, and
  • a club's injury rates in each relevant season.
To eliminate the perception of tanking, the formula for priority picks is kept confidential by the AFL Commission.

The 2018 and 2019 finishes put the kybosh on it.

The AFL formula needs a club to be s**t, not to be in the middle of nowhere.

it is a flawed system.

It underpins that the AFL don't really do fair.

if they did the top 10 picks would be a random draw so as to not penalise clubs for actually wanting to win. Then a priority pick would be awarded by virtue of getting another crack in the random draw. (moving it to the top 11 picks)

TO do the above though you'd need to cease all Academy Matching, All FA compensation and F/S Matching. I only have issue with the F/S compensation matching, being wiped. not that it has been an issue for us.

If they get pick 2 we should push for a priority pick 1 given our situation.

If they get pick 2 for Crouch, then the AFL may as well shut up shop. If they want the draft to work in a way that helps clubs struggling on field then they need to protect the primary basis for the draft system, being to allow the clubs at the bottom of the ladder the earliest possible opportunity to recruit the best available talent. Arguably there is very little difference between us and Adelaide in terms of our 2020 performances. Our position and that of other clubs near the bottom of the ladder needs to be maintained.

In the 2012 pre-season, the AFL, with the unanimous support of the 18 clubs, removed the provision for priority picks automatically based upon finishing results, and with the AFL commission retaining the power to award priority picks on a discretionary basis.[1]

To allow for this situation, a formula has been developed that takes into account such factors as:

• premiership points that a club has received over a period of years (with greater weight to recent seasons),
  • a club's percentage (points for/points against x 100) over a period of years (another indication of on-field competitiveness, with greater weight to recent seasons),
To eliminate the perception of tanking, the formula for priority picks is kept confidential by the AFL Commission.

The funny thing is, if we did put our hand out for a Priority Pick, watch the narrative change from 'basket case' to 'one bad year'

The Age on Tuesday night reported it was “unlikely” St Kilda’s offer would be significant enough to warrant a first-round compensation pick, which is what the Crows are hoping for as it’d land them Pick 2. For that to happen, according to the report, a contract offer would need to be at least three years long and worth around $800,000 per season.

The Herald Sun also reported St Kilda had “privately suggested” it had secured Crouch on a “modest salary”.

St Kilda has privately suggested it has secured Crouch on a modest salary but Adelaide has not lost hope his five-year deal could still secure it pick two.

iam just seeing a scapegoat for signing him up on the long big deal in the first place.

That is definitely an aspect I see, and I equate it with the disturbing oligarchic structure in place at Collingwood.

Buckley appears to have been given endless time and resources to discard and shoehorn replacements in to his flawed game plan.

No way we get a priority pick.

Brisbane got an end of first round pick as priority a few years ago after they had been poo for four years!

Man it's easy to be a football journalist. I'm going to start up a twitter account and tweet one of these every few hours. "Marcus Bontempelli won't be going to the Eagles" "Tom Lynch won't be going to Melbourne" "Jack Ziebell won't be going to Port Adelaide" "Patrick Dangerfield won't be going to St Kilda" I've got about 150 more of these, too.

Wait a minute, where do you get your info from?

That stuff seems right on the money LtK.

You are not conversing with a practical person. This one buys his values as a complete set.
Well at least he comes across as someone with a bit of honour and integrity. Unlike Collinwood for example, who are trying to weasel out of keeping their word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they get pick 2 for Crouch, then the AFL may as well shut up shop. If they want the draft to work in a way that helps "certain" clubs struggling on field then they need to protect the primary basis for the draft system, being to allow the clubs at the bottom of the ladder the earliest possible opportunity to recruit the best available talent. Arguably there is very little difference between us and Adelaide in terms of our 2020 performances. Our position and that of other clubs near the bottom of the ladder needs to be maintained.

EFA Horace

Lived life? Well I can certainly attest to living away from my wife and family for extended periods of time whilst deployed. Funnily enough ten's of thousands of us do it every year.

And for the vast, vast majority, it works.

Who is anyone to say that they can not make it work? They are going all Minority Report in their predictions.

Not everything is black and white. But most things are right or wrong. That you think a club trying to get rid of a contract using these means says more about you than me.

It's pretty obvious that in this case whatever is black and white is also wrong.

Hey, I am one of those troglodytes who hold the old fashioned belief that when you commit to a life partner and a family, then you go all in.

Please accept my apology.
That is fair enough but if she is a chance of representing Australia, which is alleged to be the motivation in this situathat will bring honour and renown to her family if she makes the cut.

Pies should trade Grundy and play Moore in the ruck. Could win a Brownlow.

It's not the 70's or 80's, I think you underestimate how big modern ruckman are.

Moore would get absolutely creamed in the ruck contests as a full time ruckman. He might be decent around the ground, but it wouldn't be worth the pasting he got at the stoppages. He's not even a particularly big and strong key defender, he very much rely's on his speed and ability to read the ball.

There's no escaping the body on body contests at stoppages as a ruckman.

You would be transforming one of the best intercepting defenders in the comp into a mediocre ruckman.

Last edited:
It's not the 70's or 80's, I think you underestimate how big modern ruckman are.

Moore would get absolutely creamed in the ruck contests as a full time ruckman. He might be decent around the ground, but it wouldn't be worth the pasting he got at the stoppages.

You are swapping one of the best intercepting defenders in the comp to become a mediocre ruckman.

I'm having a crack at Matt Randall, ex Pies recruiter. He said exactly that on the radio couple days ago.

Jay Clark responding to a question.

What is the latest about Ben Brown and Issac Smith joining Melbourne?

A: I think the Dees are busy behind the scenes and could bring in both of those guys if Tom McDonald leaves. They need his money out. GWS interested in McDonald. Melbourne has presented to Smith and offered a three year deal and is slightly ahead of the Bombers for Brown. Maybe on about $550-$650k.

3 years for soon to be 32 year old Isaac Smith?

Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back