List Mgmt. 2020 Trade and List Management Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Issue is if Passmore is right we have lowballed him since the initial offer. Its hard to walk that back.

I think for him to be prepared to renegotiate the offers from other clubs would have to be poor or similar to what we offered.

It just strikes me as poor judgement that we would low ball him, giving him no choice but to look elsewhere. I mean, here is a valuable commodity on the open market that we want to cash in on, but when push comes to shove, we won't offer more than 2 years @ $500,000 a year? What we would trade for a guy we value at that level?

Yeah, I don't know the specifics, we can only guess. It seems odd to me how we approached it.

If I was sitting at the table opposite Rawlings why would I offer a first round pick when Rawlings won't pay the player at anything but a slightly better than average AFL player rate? If the 2x500 is right then we f’ed this at the point that offer was tabled.

Well, his value is ultimately where someone would take him in the draft. If we released him from his contract and he was able to go into the ND, what would Brown put on his contract and where would he go? If say Collingwood would theoretically take him at 14 if he was there in the draft then that is his minimum value regardless how much we want or do not want him. If another club would want to get him before then or not want to roll the dice that someone else takes him earlier, then that will impact his trade value.

It is the same principle with Saad, he isn't going back to Essendon and is prepared to enter the PSD, but that doesn't mean Carlton will get him for a 3rd round pick. If we release Brown into the PSD he might end up at the Crows most likely. If he wants to get to a club that doesn't have a lot of salary cap space then they can't play the contract games, like we were able to do with Jacobs.

The danger with going into the draft is he might end up somewhere he doesn't want to be.

Jade...let’s just say I would be surprised to read many positive comments for him from the playing group

2 questions come to mind from this statement.

What would the same players say about Rhyce?

And is there any chance Jade was having to play bad cop?

I've posted about Jade's odd (aka hollow) CV from way back but hope discussion about him is balanced.

Yeah, his numbers are good. There must be something behind the numbers to suggest his NQR. As I said, I'd have no issue picking him up, but it'd need to be in a rats and mice trade.

Again agree. He is still 21 so I wonder what the knock is given he gets his own pill. I could only guess he is a defensive liability. Some of that can be fitness, some can be coached and of course some are completely unaccountable and for the bin.

I think for him to be prepared to renegotiate the offers from other clubs would have to be poor or similar to what we offered.
Agreed. That wuld be a wake up call and Ben may be more inclined to stay with us.

Yeah, I don't know the specifics, we can only guess. It seems odd to me how we approached it.

Well, his value is ultimately where someone would take him in the draft. If we released him from his contract and he was able to go into the ND, what would Brown put on his contract and where would he go? If say Collingwood would theoretically take him at 14 if he was there in the draft then that is his minimum value regardless how much we want or do not want him. If another club would want to get him before then or not want to roll the dice that someone else takes him earlier, then that will impact his trade value.

It is the same principle with Saad, he isn't going back to Essendon and is prepared to enter the PSD, but that doesn't mean Carlton will get him for a 3rd round pick. If we release Brown into the PSD he might end up at the Crows most likely. If he wants to get to a club that doesn't have a lot of salary cap space then they can't play the contract games, like we were able to do with Jacobs.

The danger with going into the draft is he might end up somewhere he doesn't want to be.
Agree with all this. I think we could have played our hand better though. We could have put him in the shop window rather than the dumpster out back.

I guess the danger in offering a better deal is that he might have accepted it. If we don't want him then what do you do?
I guess not be soooooooo blatantly obvious that we don't want him. If you are going to sell your car online, you're not gonna list it at below market value. Well, you can, but you're not doing it right.

Beware the overhyped Geelong reserves player.

Not saying I wouldn't take him, but given he went in the 30's in his draft, can't crack more than a sniff after 3 years and they are looking to bring in other mids when they could play him......it'd be a 4th round trade for mine.

I don't think the expectation would be for him to be a world beater.

If Higgins is realistically going for a token pick, he is probably as good an option as any in the 30+ range of this draft.

He's also good mates with LDU and Bonar from that Haileybury side, so there's an angle there also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hackdorn on 6PR has stated that BB is heading to *. They also want pick 2 from us somehow because they rate through the roof Logan Mcdonald. Would we do pick 7 and 8 for pick 2 from *?

Lol,

People have lost the plot on here.

Pick #2 is worth pick 7 & 8 on it's own to a club who wants it.

Brown and pick 2 is worth 7,8 and their 2021 first round pick.

If Essendon think McDonald is gettable with pick #2, that means they think Adelaide are taking Hollands or Thilthorp.

Or they may be angling for Fantasia & #2 for #1 or something.

I’m actually if he opinion that pick 2 should be on the table if it gets us multiple top 10 picks. As I’ve stated I have my doubts on McDonald, but of course he may turn into a gun.

That said, he will always have the pull of going home. Always. Previously the club has been good at keeping its players. But the way things are going at the moment, with a lengthy rebuild, I’d rather take vic kids.

I’m actually if he opinion that pick 2 should be on the table if it gets us multiple top 10 picks. As I’ve stated I have my doubts on McDonald, but of course he may turn into a gun.

That said, he will always have the pull of going home. Always. Previously the club has been good at keeping its players. But the way things are going at the moment, with a lengthy rebuild, I’d rather take vic kids.

Nothing should be off the table.

But imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and we were trying to acquire pick #2?

The deal would have to be absolutely fantastic, it's not about being fair in this scenario.

Nothing should be off the table.

But imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and we were trying to acquire pick #2?

The deal would have to be absolutely fantastic, it's not about being fair in this scenario.

Fully agree.

The club needs to do everything in its power to draft kids that are going to be good/great players and be at the club in 5 years time.

Do you think it’s risky drafting McDonald and having him toil away in a rebuild for 3-5 years?

Yeah, Hollands.

With the value in trading Brown and Higgins trade up 9 to 5-7 and take Phillips, get a mid teens pick for Zac Reid or Cox and at a push another 2nd/3rd rounder.

I'd loath to trade our earliest pick ever. It would have to be an eye wateringly spectacular deal.

Yeah, Hollands.

With the value in trading Brown and Higgins trade up 9 to 5-7 and take Phillips, get a mid teens pick for Zac Reid or Co and at a push another 2nd/3rd rounder.

I'd loath to trade our earliest pick ever. It would have to be an eye wateringly spectacular deal.

Yeah I don’t have any issue with using 2 on Hollands

If they really want pick 2 then we should be bleeding them dry. Nothing has more currency than a top 2/3 pick these days.

Issue is if Passmore is right we have lowballed him since the initial offer. Its hard to walk that back.

It just strikes me as poor judgement that we would low ball him, giving him no choice but to look elsewhere. I mean, here is a valuable commodity on the open market that we want to cash in on, but when push comes to shove, we won't offer more than 2 years @ $500,000 a year? What we would trade for a guy we value at that level?

If I was sitting at the table opposite Rawlings why would I offer a first round pick when Rawlings won't pay the player at anything but a slightly better than average AFL player rate? If the 2x500 is right then we f’ed this at the point that offer was tabled.

Because if you were sitting opp Rawlings you would know that he offered him 850k and that was rejected!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back