List Mgmt. 2020 Trade and List Management Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Clark appears set to stay at Geelong despite attention from Fremantle Dockers and West Coast Eagles

Exciting WA youngster Jordan Clark appears set to remain at Geelong next season, despite facing the potential heartbreak of missing out on a premiership tomorrow.

Clark, who has played just three games in an injury-affected second season, was left out of the Cats’ grand final team as expected.

The 20-year-old will make it onto the Gabba – but only to represent Geelong in the grand final sprint at quarter-time.

While his plight has caught the attention of both WA clubs, Clark’s contract situation makes any return home during the upcoming trade period a remote prospect.

Having played on a fixed initial contract for the past two seasons, his wage is understood to jump significantly next year after signing a healthy two-year extension early last season.

Clark was drafted with pick 15 in the 2018 national draft and played 18 games last year, finishing equal fifth in the Rising Star award.

It is thought Fremantle would have to offer up their first draft pick to tempt Geelong to consider a trade, while the Dockers’ salary cap issues form another stumbling block.

West Coast do not have a first-round draft pick, for the third-straight season, after giving it to Geelong as part of the Tim Kelly deal last year.

Clark has received approval from the WA Government to return to Perth for his post-season break and will serve 14 days of quarantine on arrival.

Meanwhile, Brisbane speedster Cedric Cox is likely to have to wait until after next month’s trade period to find out if he will receive an AFL lifeline.

Cox, who has played just five games in the past three seasons and didn’t make an appearance this year, is out of contract and has signalled his desire to return to Perth for family reasons.

The 183cm Cox, 23, can play as a small forward or rebounding defender and is understood to have attracted some interest from West Coast.

Originally from Halls Creek, Cox moved to Victoria to chase his AFL dream in his draft year in 2016 before being taken by the Lions with pick 24 in the national draft.

He was drafted ahead of tomorrow’s grand final rivals Brandan Parfitt (Geelong) and Shai Bolton (Richmond), as well as mature-age gems Luke Ryan and Willie Rioli.

I’ve long thought a proper solution to this problem is that players can be traded wherever the club wants, but as soon as the player is out of contract they’re a free agent and can sign wherever they like. Increase first round draft pick contracts to 4 years if needed. That way, clubs can get something decent by trading the player to the highest bidder, instead of this trash where a player nominates a club that has nothing to trade and so the owning club gets screwed. Players lose a bit by being able to be traded where they don’t want to go, but get back that they can be a free agent after 2-3-4 years and can go where they want after that.
Unless you're a year from free agency and get traded with a four year contract to somewhere you don't want to be.

On the other hand provided only one or two year deals were allowed in that situation then maybe it would work really well. It would give the club the player didn't want a to be at a short time to change the players mind. If it didn't work by that stage it's understandable to part ways.

What if..

..that team could line up against North Melbourne?

<mind blown.gif>

Dear Lord that would be horrific .

Big Richard Lounder would be licking his lips at the thought of the quality ball coming his way. I think Richards effort against us doesn't receive the plaudits it deserves .

He was the original "shitmen". 50% of his career marks against us . 90% of his goals yep against us. 75% of his disposals vs us. he only had three handballs in his four career games , all against us. That has to be a record for someone with more than one game, anywhere and any level.

1603508442502.png

That wasn't a pretty day

I can see why they rate Cameron higher but I just am a bit bewildered at the distance of the perception gap between the two. I think at least some part is attributable to most of the media largely ignoring North and simultaneously holding the contradictory positions of not rating our list at all and downplaying any level of success we have had.
I honestly can't. Brown is a proven match winner. Cameron isn't IMO.

But that tackle stuff I was going on about in Brownys thread may have something to do with it.

Dear Lord that would be horrific .

Big Richard Lounder would be licking his lips at the thought of the quality ball coming his way. I think Richards effort against us doesn't receive the plaudits it deserves .

He was the original "shitmen". 50% of his career marks against us . 90% of his goals yep against us. 75% of his disposals vs us. he only had three handballs in his four career games , all against us. That has to be a record for someone with more than one game, anywhere and any level.

View attachment 993561

That wasn't a pretty day
Hmmmm...I was there....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I’m a little perplexed as to why his value his dropped so much, just because of the way it has panned as well.

If I decide to sell my house, does it dramatically drop in value because I chose to sell it, or do I need someone to approach me to get full value? We are clearly in rebuild mode and you need to give up an asset to help that progress.

Regardless of what the club says or does, he is still the same player. I can comprehend it dropping a little with what has gone on, but him being worth a pick in the 20’s compared to Cameron being worth 2 first rounders is insane.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you sell your house because someone built a freeway next door or you discovered toxic waste in the soil then the value would drop. The thing that motivates you to sell is also the thing that drops the value of your house.

If you decide to sell it and two days later the story of a toxic waste dump next door comes out in the local paper then the same thing will happen. And that is regardless of how true the story actually is.

Yes and we have even resorted to playing him out of his strongest position in order to get experience into the kids... having said that sounds like you would to play him fwd if replacing Ablett with him which isn't his best spot either

He kicked fourty goals (39) in 2015 playing forward for us. He is a great forward when he kicks straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly can't. Brown is a proven match winner. Cameron isn't IMO.

Is this based on the 2015 * final or something else?

Cameron has been a decisive factor in a number of wins, just like Brown has. His performance against Richmond last year was one of the best individual displays you'll see in any era.

Hmmmm...I was there....

Oh my so I was 🤦‍♂️. Seriously his debut wtf! would have waltzed off the ground thinking he had this covered for the next decade. His next two games combined for one disposal.
Before his last ever game where he managed to find the ball twice. He should be revered on our board.

I’m a little perplexed as to why his value his dropped so much, just because of the way it has panned as well.

If I decide to sell my house, does it dramatically drop in value because I chose to sell it, or do I need someone to approach me to get full value? We are clearly in rebuild mode and you need to give up an asset to help that progress.

Regardless of what the club says or does, he is still the same player. I can comprehend it dropping a little with what has gone on, but him being worth a pick in the 20’s compared to Cameron being worth 2 first rounders is insane.

House price could drop though if all of a sudden on the news there is media all about how the prices in that area are going down because no one wants to live there

Oh my so I was . Seriously his debut wtf! would have waltzed off the ground thinking he had this covered for the next decade. His next two games combined for one disposal.
Before his last ever game where he managed to find the ball twice. He should be revered on our board.
Me and my North mates still talk about it. "Richard ******* Launder".....mind you it was worth it to get their hopes up only to be let down.

Is this based on the 2015 * final or something else?

Cameron has been a decisive factor in a number of wins, just like Brown has. His performance against Richmond last year was one of the best individual displays you'll see in any era.
No. He consistently would kick multiple goals in short periods for us. That would win us games as often as snot, maybe more often than not.

I haven't watched Cameron as much but apart from last year's non GF finals I have seen all of us fnals games in the last three or four seasons and he basically isn't that good. It's just my opinion but that's it. I don't think he is enough of a competitor or determined enough.

Brown certainly is. In many ways he has no right to be playing AFL at all let alone to be our best forward since Carey and someone who has kicked ten goals in an AFL game. Many times over the years I've thought Brown's performance has won us the game. (Tho I don't think teams have one match winner in any particular game, it's usually two or three.)

Cameron on the other hand has had his career handed to him on a platter and consistently gone missing in finals, then in the only GF he played. I don't think he has the same heart and heart is vital for footy players IMO.

It's just my opinion tho.

Cameron has more overall tackles, more mongrel and hits contests hard when he can. So I understand clubs rating that as we'll

No. He consistently would kick multiple goals in short periods for us. That would win us games as often as snot, maybe more often than not.

I haven't watched Cameron as much but apart from last year's non GF finals I have seen all of us fnals games in the last three or four seasons and he basically isn't that good. It's just my opinion but that's it. I don't think he is enough of a competitor or determined enough.

Brown certainly is. In many ways he has no right to be playing AFL at all let alone to be our best forward since Carey and someone who has kicked ten goals in an AFL game. Many times over the years I've thought Brown's performance has won us the game. (Tho I don't think teams have one match winner in any particular game, it's usually two or three.)

Cameron on the other hand has had his career handed to him on a platter and consistently gone missing in finals, then in the only GF he played. I don't think he has the same heart and heart is vital for footy players IMO.

It's just my opinion tho.

Cameron has more overall tackles, more mongrel and hits contests hard when he can. So I understand clubs rating that as we'll

He did win the Coleman but would the result have been reversed if Brown got to play with a midfield of Kelly, Terranto, Coniglio, Hopper, Whitfield et al and Cameron was dealing with the North crew?

Sliding doors moment but what happens if Rhyce didn't drop Brown for the game against the Crows, the one game all year where our ball movement was fast and it came in well? I reckon he comfortably bags 4 or 5 and his confidence and our confidence in him are boosted and he kicks on to finish the season well.

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan has cast doubt over the start date of this year's trade period as a pay deal for 2021 drags on.

The trade period is due to start on November 4, however the league is still negotiating with players over whether their pay cuts will continue beyond 2020.

When asked if the deal not yet being done would impact the looming trade period, McLachlan was hesitant in his response but remained optimistic.

"Hopefully there's enough agreed that the trade period can go ahead," McLachlan said. "I'm sure the trade period will go ahead. Hopefully the list sizes at least are known.

"We'll get there. The timing though, I think it's a big decision for the players. It's a big decision for the industry. For both parties, the uncertainty looking into next year is a pretty big part of the discussion.

"But the longer it goes on, if you can get a bit more certainty, I think it's probably easier to close the gap."Hopefully the timing works out."

AFL players agreed to a 30 per cent wage cut this year due to the impact of COVID-19 and there are fears they could be asked to take a heftier hit.

The AFL boss said he hoped a decision on next year's fixture and whether the league would persist with shorter quarters would be finalised by early December.

"I think people need a bit of a breather...and then the machine starts up again," he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back