List Mgmt. 2020 Trade and List Management Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did win the Coleman but would the result have been reversed if Brown got to play with a midfield of Kelly, Terranto, Coniglio, Hopper, Whitfield et al and Cameron was dealing with the North crew?

Sliding doors moment but what happens if Rhyce didn't drop Brown for the game against the Crows, the one game all year where our ball movement was fast and it came in well? I reckon he comfortably bags 4 or 5 and his confidence and our confidence in him are boosted and he kicks on to finish the season well.
Yes I agree on that Crows thing.

But those tackle stats have won me over. I was 50/50 on the decision beforehand but am on board now and I don't even care about the trade value any more. To me there is a clear rationale for doing that any cost.

FWIW Souva had 1.6 tackles a game last year, half a tackle per game more than Brown. This year he had 1 per game. But Browny had three in the St Kilda game and three for the rest of the season.

Maybe tackling was a focus this year, given the Saints game, and the bone on bone thing was true and did hamper him. But it seems obvious how the decision evolved to me whatever other associated facts are.

I wouldn't be upset if we kept him either but he must improve that side of his game IMO.

Schultz is ok but if we are going for uncontracted cheap small forwards I’d rather Ben Ronke or Jack Lonie

Yes I agree on that Crows thing.

But those tackle stats have won me over. I was 50/50 on the decision beforehand but am on board now and I don't even care about the trade value any more. To me there is a clear rationale for doing that any cost.

FWIW Souva had 1.6 tackles a game last year, half a tackle per game more than Brown. This year he had 1 per game. But Browny had three in the St Kilda game and three for the rest of the season.

Maybe tackling was a focus this year, given the Saints game, and the bone on bone thing was true and did hamper him. But it seems obvious how the decision evolved to me whatever other associated facts are.

I wouldn't be upset if we kept him either but he must improve that side of his game IMO.

Welcome to the dark side Ferb

The AFL boss said he hoped a decision on next year's fixture and whether the league would persist with shorter quarters would be finalised by early December.

"I think people need a bit of a breather...and then the machine starts up again," he said.

This makes no sense to me. Is he seriously saying that people at AFL house need a month+ break before doing their jobs? The only reason to take more time is so as to have a better idea of what the COVID situation will be next year, not because people 'need a bit of a breather'. What everyone in the football industry needs is certainty, even if that certainty is specifically a list that says that if X happens then the reaction by the league will be Y.

And that's before even addressing the draft bullshit. It's crazy to me that they still haven't got list sizes sorted.

Schultz is ok but if we are going for uncontracted cheap small forwards I’d rather Ben Ronke or Jack Lonie
Prefer Schultz easily aver Ronke & Lonie . Schultz is a local Bentleigh Kid (dad was a great local cricket & football player)
this is a kid with plenty of upside potential. Showed quite a bit this season . I remember him Kicking some must win crucial Set shot goals at the death when the heat was on at the end of 1-2 Freo games .
Hope he wants to come home .

Can we please get a Liam Ryan regen?

As long as it doesn't hinder the development of TT and curtis etc I'm all for bringing in shultz.

Schultz then Lonie....Thats all folks...

As long as it doesn't hinder the development of TT and curtis etc I'm all for bringing in shultz.

Given that Schutlz is 22 (in the TT, Taylor age bracket) and a pressure forward type (different type to TT, Taylor) I’d say there would be minimal risk of him hindering their development.

It’s clearly a move to add depth to our promising young group.

This is the can of worms the AFL will open up if it allows these deals to occur i.e Crouch, Daniher

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Brisbane looking to clear Witherden's generous contract off their books. Essendon wants tier 1 compo for Daniher. Seems easy fix... Essendon take Witherden off their hands for a third round pick Brisbane up their contract offer to Daniher and get him for free Win – Win?

Jon Ralph

It sounds perfect in theory. I just can’t see the AFL not getting involved in those kind of deals, which basically rort the free agency compensation model.

I asked a list manager yesterday would he prefer to pay Daniher 800K a year but get him for free, or pay him $600K and have to give up two first-rounders. He said $800K in a heartbeat.

Because surely the two first-rounders are worth having that 200K on your books for four years.

But clearly there have been many left-field deals over the years between clubs that advantage both of them. The Lions are worried about having too many injury-prone players on their list with Cockatoo coming as well. But I reckon pay the price for Daniher as a free agent. Then if you have to pay $100K of the Witherden contract per year to get him off your books, so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Q: Does anyone at NMFC realise that a mid-20’s pick (for Brown) probably ends up in the mid 30’s after compensation, father sons, academy picks, etc? Then we have the most uncertain draft in history with no clear sight of any Victorian kids. (edited)

Jon Ralph
Yep, I really like what they are doing to tip the list on its head but I can’t work out the strategy on Ben Brown. He was told his style didn’t suit the club and the game-plan which was going to be kicking it down the line and then going inboard if they got over half way. Surely no game plan stands up like that these days. The fact there are multiple clubs keen on Brown shows what he has to offer. He had a stinker this year, but I would have kept him and I wouldn’t have publicly told anyone he was up for trade. Anyway, the club believes there are enough clubs out there interested that the competitive pressure should still get them a pick in the 20s. As you say, it’s going to push back a long way.
I couldn’t make a case for them to keep any of the 11 players they delisted.

Given that Schutlz is 22 (in the TT, Taylor age bracket) and a pressure forward type (different type to TT, Taylor) I’d say there would be minimal risk of him hindering their development.

It’s clearly a move to add depth to our promising young group.
I may be completely out on my own here but I would love to see TT tried as a half-back flanker. I think he has all the tools to be elite in that position. Great decision making and disposal, time with the ball in hand, looks like he could be a very good intercept mark, and is an elite tackler.

I may be completely out on my own here but I would love to see TT tried as a half-back flanker. I think he has all the tools to be elite in that position. Great decision making and disposal, time with the ball in hand, looks like he could be a very good intercept mark, and is an elite tackler.
Ouft. It's a tough one. Could go to either 3 positions. Question though. With Brown no longer in the forward line. Do you think he will be more valuable as a forward? With only the likes of a fit Garner, Larkey, Taylor and Zuurhar being main hit up targets?

Unless you're a year from free agency and get traded with a four year contract to somewhere you don't want to be.

On the other hand provided only one or two year deals were allowed in that situation then maybe it would work really well. It would give the club the player didn't want a to be at a short time to change the players mind. If it didn't work by that stage it's understandable to part ways.

You couldn’t be traded and have additional years added to your contract - whoever is trading for you is getting whatever time is left on your contract. It’s up to you whether you decide to resign with that club or go somewhere else after the year.

In the few Freo games I watched Schultz this year, I was pretty impressed. Adding a couple quick, aggressive small forwards that can impact scoreboard is a great move.

Surprised Freo would let him go.

Assuming ooc? And we offered more than they could? And also we have the home pull

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ouft. It's a tough one. Could go to either 3 positions. Question though. With Brown no longer in the forward line. Do you think he will be more valuable as a forward? With only the likes of a fit Garner, Larkey, Taylor and Zuurhar being main hit up targets?

I think he gets lost a bit as a deep forward. His elite traits are so good you want him in the game as much as possible. If we get rid of Brown I don't think TT as a lead up forward is the answer, we need a genuine second option. That could be Comben or someone we bring in. I wouldn't be upset at all if we offered Mihocek the money that Collingwood isn't. He could be our PSD walker.

Well considering we have Blakey now he will be able to tell us exactly whether it's worthwhile going for ronke... he has been missing for a while now so he will know why that is... they even brought in another small fwd in gray even though they had ronke on the books...and also lewy Taylor but he is more a winger... lonie yes like him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back