List Mgmt. 2020 Trade/FA TARGETS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade hypotheticals and discussion of how you think or want a trade to happen go here - 2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread.

If you want to talk about a current Hawthorn player and if they’re staying on the list, it goes here - Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Trade/FA targets thread is for discussion of News about players we are to target via trade of FA. It’s not for “Kane Cornes says we should get this player”.

Are you really surprised?

There's no risk as they're underwritten by AFL & don't have a salary cap.

If they run out of money, the AFL will just print them more.

Signing these deals is as close to risk free as a sports deal comes
Nailed it. There is no cap.

It's an uneven playing field. That's what gets me the most.

People calling it rubbish list management are forgetting that GWS don't have to abide my the same salary cap restrictions as everybody else. Yeah they'll lose players they choose to lose for the most part that are surplus to requirements eg Patton and Scully.

Yeah that's a fair call.

The best part for them is they will lose the occasional gun or youngster who isn't as good as their very top tier and clubs will still pay a premium for them (Shiel, Treloar types etc). This will just be a continual rotation of young A grade talent (which is surplus for them) going through the club to churn out more high picks to then continue the process. AFL have set them up perfectly.

Potential Smaller Targets who wouldn't cost an arm and a leg:

Matthew Ling (Sydney): Linebreaking left footer who has constantly been injured.
Jordan Gallucci (Adelaide): Speedy and athletic but underperformed. At 183cm/78kg could have potential as a small forward.
Cedric Cox (Brisbane): See above. Will also likely struggle for opportunity with Brisbane having an abundance of small forwards.
Joshua Begley (Essendon): We had shown interest in his draft year. Big body that can play forward with stints in the midfield. In reality shouldn't cost much but Essendon will ask for Tom Mitchell.
Zac Langdon (GWS): 25 year old small forward who may be amicable to leaving for a better financial deal. GWS don't have a salary cap for their superstars but would be more open to losing a fringe player.
Matthew Parker (St. Kilda): mature age forward with speed and X-factor. Not sure if he would pass the no dickhead policy.
Ely Smith (Brisbane): Powerful readymade midfielder that isn't being given opportunity at Brisbane.

Bigger fish:

Ollie Wines (Port): Tough accumulator but absolute butcher of the ball. Seemingly had a falling out with PA.
Brad Crouch (Ade): Wanted out and put a massive price on his head. Would compliment our midfield better than Wines but cost us more.
Bailey Smith (WB): First year midfielder with massive ceiling. Hasn't signed a contract with the Bulldogs but will likely recommit. Despite his youth was a high pick, is firmly in the Dog's 22 and they would be devastated to lose him.
Christian Petracca (Melb): Underperforming powerful medium forward with a massive ceiling. Would cost an arm and a leg.
Zac Williams (GWS): Free Agent with raw speed who can break lines from HB/wing but will likely re-sign with the unlimited cap GWS has.

I honestly couldn’t care less if the Giants have a cap or not at this point I am just sick of hearing about it to be honest.

we all knew Lachie was going no where for a while now so this should not be shocking news. Good on the Giants for retaining players with or without help.

More interested in who can still end up a Hawk.

I honestly couldn’t care less if the Giants have a cap or not at this point I am just sick of hearing about it to be honest.

we all knew Lachie was going no where for a while now so this should not be shocking news. Good on the Giants for retaining players with or without help.

More interested in who can still end up a Hawk.

It's a shame the competition we are all so invested in is as corrupt as they come, but yeah what we have to do is just focus on ourselves.

this reminds me of a standing start trotters race.
some participants starting on the front row others from as far back as a 90m handicap.

these flogs at AFL house spruik equalisation but there’s nothing equal about this competition. Abso-f*****g-lutely nothing.

whatever measure something is compromised to get a desired outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this reminds me of a standing start trotters race.
some participants starting on the front row others from as far back as a 90m handicap.

these flogs at AFL house spruik equalisation but there’s nothing equal about this competition. Abso-f*****g-lutely nothing.

whatever measure something is compromised to get a desired outcome.
Has been like this for a long time though

Not much to be gained from spruiking AFL conspiracies until we're privvy to the amounts these GWS players signed up for. They may have handed Whitfield 7 years to compensate for the actual salary being slightly under market rate.

I'll admit it all seems a little suspect and the fact it happens to be a NSW franchise only makes it moreso. However if everything's above board then I'd say GWS are playing it well by offering their stars greater security as a tradeoff for less coin than they could earn elsewhere. Of course having Whitfield/Coniglio/Greene/Cameron and whoever else on 6+ year deals is really going to restrict their ability to trade in stars to fill list gaps, but they've so much young talent on their list its unlikely to be a problem. If Clarko swapped places with the tractor driver tomorrow he'd probably at least wring B2B out of it.

Not much to be gained from spruiking AFL conspiracies until we're privvy to the amounts these GWS players signed up for. They may have handed Whitfield 7 years to compensate for the actual salary being slightly under market rate.

I'll admit it all seems a little suspect and the fact it happens to be a NSW franchise only makes it moreso. However if everything's above board then I'd say GWS are playing it well by offering their stars greater security as a tradeoff for less coin than they could earn elsewhere. Of course having Whitfield/Coniglio/Greene/Cameron and whoever else on 6+ year deals is really going to restrict their ability to trade in stars to fill list gaps, but they've so much young talent on their list its unlikely to be a problem. If Clarko swapped places with the tractor driver tomorrow he'd probably at least wring B2B out of it.

Sadly player wages is something we'll never be privy to, players won't want it and neither will the AFL. The last thing the AFL will want is a transparent system.

People calling it rubbish list management are forgetting that GWS don't have to abide my the same salary cap restrictions as everybody else. Yeah they'll lose players they choose to lose for the most part that are surplus to requirements eg Patton and Scully.
Yes I totally agree. Think about every player they have traded out did they need them or miss them. Think of all the 1st round draft picks they have picked up from surplus players. I said when COGS choose to take Gills money that clubs should should stop trading 1st and 2nd round picks to them. Each year they repeatedly get numerous 1st round picks which they off load a few years down the track. Clubs should only take players like Scully, Patton of them when they pay min chips.

When you guys won 4 premierships and kept an amazing squad together it was due to great list management and players taking less to build something..
The Giants keep their stars and it is due to mass corruption. One guy even likens a player staying at their existing club to being spit in the face. That is a reasonable reaction if you lose a player, you are not entitled to a player cause you want them.
Perhaps these guys are staying cause they want to build something together. Hopefully they do, but nothing is ever guaranteed and premierships are hard to win.

When you guys won 4 premierships and kept an amazing squad together it was due to great list management and players taking less to build something..
The Giants keep their stars and it is due to mass corruption. One guy even likens a player staying at their existing club to being spit in the face. That is a reasonable reaction if you lose a player, you are not entitled to a player cause you want them.
Perhaps these guys are staying cause they want to build something together. Hopefully they do, but nothing is ever guaranteed and premierships are hard to win.
They are very very hard to win within a salary cap but not that hard without

Hawthorn has never had one million dollar player nor did we sign any of our players up to 7 year deals, let alone 5-6 of them. If you think that is possible while remaining within the salary cap without concessions from the Alf, you are too delusional to be posting on other club’s boards.

Does anyone know what our restrictions are on the 1st rounder next year?

-Do we still need to use another 1st rounder, and if so does it need to be in the 2020 draft?

Hawthorn has never had one million dollar player nor did we sign any of our players up to 7 year deals, let alone 5-6 of them. If you think that is possible while remaining within the salary cap without concessions from the Alf, you are too delusional to be posting on other club’s boards.
Players salaries are not released and as such all are speculation.
That said there is no way we have 5 or 6 players on a million.
The long terms are probably a trade off for less money ( offering certainty)

Hawthorn won 4 comps, you don't reckon other clubs wanted your players, yet you kept it together, but can't see how it possible for another side to do it.

Hawthorn won 4 comps, you don't reckon other clubs wanted your players, yet you kept it together, but can't see how it possible for another side to do it.
We didn't keep it all together
We lost Buddy to the Swans for nothing

We lost role players and depth.

Geelong the same during their run.

As to taking less for longer term.....
You might get an extra year to get the cash you want overall but nobody is taking multiple years over their prime on a lot less money. This is the last big earning chance for these blokes when they sign on for that long.

No other club has managed to sign players for such large salaries and for such extended contracts while being so inextricably linked to AFL house.

Now, kindly piss off so we can discuss something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back