List Mgmt. 2020 Trade/FA TARGETS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade hypotheticals and discussion of how you think or want a trade to happen go here - 2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread.

If you want to talk about a current Hawthorn player and if they’re staying on the list, it goes here - Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Trade/FA targets thread is for discussion of News about players we are to target via trade of FA. It’s not for “Kane Cornes says we should get this player”.

Great news, did not want. Would rather have Hartung back.
After what we've done to Scully, I don't think Hartung would come back even if we begged him*...

*begged his Dad...

Last edited:
Yes, the concept has gone over people’s heads.
With potentially the most active off season ever and us holding something of value that other clubs want will be interesting what we do with it. I'm pretty chuffed to just use the pick on Hollands if he is available but our club has never been one to think inside the box.

Downgrading our pick a few spots and picking up a few other pieces along the way now that is the astute thing I'd expect form Clarko and co.

The fact Wright has came out and said we will use the pick has only added to my scepticism.

With potentially the most active off season ever and us holding something of value that other clubs want will be interesting what we do with it. I'm pretty chuffed to just use the pick on Hollands if he is available but our club has never been one to think inside the box.

Downgrading our pick a few spots and picking up a few other pieces along the way now that is the astute thing I'd expect form Clarko and co.

The fact Wright has came out and said we will use the pick has only added to my scepticism.

I think if you listen carefully to what Wright actually says, he didn’t rule out your scenario at all.

You'd want pick 3 to be better than Kelly. Hasn't lived up to the hype. Yet.
None of the top 3 Midfielder picks have turned out as good as kelly since he’s been drafted. Rowell is about the only one you could consider and he’s still got a lot of ground to make up. I think we’d be stoked if pick 3 became a 25 touch, goal a game mid who runs at 70+% efficiency

Trading our pick for a player and a single pick just below it, is still holding a top pick 😬
I can definitely see this happening. It all depends on who we have our sights on and where we rate them amongst all other draft prospects. Our highest rated player outside the top 2 may be a real chance to slide a couple of spots and away we go - get our "next best" player in the draft plus a player from another club that fills a need.

Not out of the question for sure.

BTW, is there any reason we should be pondering KM's hypotheticals any more respectfully than we ponder Mick from Croydon's hypotheticals?
Being from Mooroolbark I always thought that guys from Croydon had their head up their bums, so I'd pay that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kinda hope we speak to Richmond about Riley Colier Dawkins. Out of contract and I personally really liked him in his draft year. Wouldn’t cost much you’d expect seeing as he hasn’t played seniors

he is on the radar !! His name was mentioned from my industry contact
Zac Williams would be a great addition to any team in the AFL so no wonder there are so many rumours.
Would add that touch of class off halfback and in the midfield though.

Peter Wright should be another player we ask about, he is on big money up there and fits our age profile still only 23.

Maybe try to lure one of Freos key position backmen. Alex Pearce would be ideal but would probably cost to much.

For a small forward how about having a look at fantasia or castagna both 24 years old when they are up and motivated they both provide good forward pressure and might not cost too much either.

I love the constant love affair with Peter Wright.....I keep hearing it from within the industry .....but the reality is he consistently fails to take it further. It is not as though GC have not tried.

None of the top 3 Midfielder picks have turned out as good as kelly since he’s been drafted. Rowell is about the only one you could consider and he’s still got a lot of ground to make up. I think we’d be stoked if pick 3 became a 25 touch, goal a game mid who runs at 70+% efficiency
100% this.

I know we aren't getting Kelly (and if we were, yes, we would likely try for free when he is a free agent) but a bit of perspective on how good pick 3 is - here's a list of players drafted in the top 3 from 2010-2017 (anything after that is probably too early to make judgement):

2010: David Swallow, Harley Bennell, Sam Day
2011: Jonathan Patton, Stephen Coniglio, Dom Tyson
2012: Lachie Whitfield, Jonathan O'Rourke, Lachie Plowman
2013: Tom Boyd, Josh Kelly, Jack Billings
2014: Paddy McCartin, Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw
2015: Jacob Weitering, Josh Shache, Callum Mills
2016: Andrew McGrath, Tim Taranto, Hugh McCluggage
2017: Cam Rayner, Andrew Brayshaw, Paddy Dow

Thats 23 players drafted (excluding Kelly) with top 3 picks and you'd have to say that Kelly is comfortably better than at least 18 of them.

Basically close to an 80% chance that the player we get with pick 3 never reaches close to Kelly's level and even if we strike gold, the player will barely be better than him (if at all).

Sure, you can't ignore things like club development/scouting and so on, but even if you bump it down generously, its a big stretch to suggest we would be likely to get someone who ends up that good.

People see the superstars of the world and look at pick 3 with hopes and dreams but don't see you are far more likely to end up with someone like Lachie Plowman, who is an ok player but you swap him for a superstar in a heartbeat. Someone like Kelly is already the reality that pick 3 allows you to dream of.

I'm not advocating that we trade away all our picks or don't hit the draft but you take the proven star if they're on the table and still only 26.

I think if you listen carefully to what Wright actually says, he didn’t rule out your scenario at all.
At this stage where we don’t even know what pick we’ll have, along with list sizes, what the draft camp will throw up, potential player movement, etc, it would be negligent of him to commit in any direction whatsoever.

100% this.

I know we aren't getting Kelly (and if we were, yes, we would likely try for free when he is a free agent) but a bit of perspective on how good pick 3 is - here's a list of players drafted in the top 3 from 2010-2017 (anything after that is probably too early to make judgement):

2010: David Swallow, Harley Bennell, Sam Day
2011: Jonathan Patton, Stephen Coniglio, Dom Tyson
2012: Lachie Whitfield, Jonathan O'Rourke, Lachie Plowman
2013: Tom Boyd, Josh Kelly, Jack Billings
2014: Paddy McCartin, Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw
2015: Jacob Weitering, Josh Shache, Callum Mills
2016: Andrew McGrath, Tim Taranto, Hugh McCluggage
2017: Cam Rayner, Andrew Brayshaw, Paddy Dow

Thats 23 players drafted (excluding Kelly) with top 3 picks and you'd have to say that Kelly is comfortably better than at least 18 of them.

Basically close to an 80% chance that the player we get with pick 3 never reaches close to Kelly's level and even if we strike gold, the player will barely be better than him (if at all).

Sure, you can't ignore things like club development/scouting and so on, but even if you bump it down generously, its a big stretch to suggest we would be likely to get someone who ends up that good.

People see the superstars of the world and look at pick 3 with hopes and dreams but don't see you are far more likely to end up with someone like Lachie Plowman, who is an ok player but you swap him for a superstar in a heartbeat. Someone like Kelly is already the reality that pick 3 allows you to dream of.

I'm not advocating that we trade away all our picks or don't hit the draft but you take the proven star if they're on the table and still only 26.
Not when you have an age profile like our list you don't, how many 26-7 year olds do you think we can carry? Building a list isn't just about high end talent.

The point of hitting the draft isn't selections in isolation. Gold Coast picked up Lukosius, Rankine, King, Rowell, Anderson in just 2 years, yes they've had many misses but you give your self enough selections you will end up landing talent like the above. We could go and pick up Kelly, Willams and Laird in the next 2 years and fight for a 6-8 finish but what would be the point?

Last edited:
Just signed an extension.
Which is a shame, but was just answering the statement that we must take our first rounder to the draft. Not saying we should trade it but there are other possibilities.

Not when you have an age profile like our list you don't, how many 26-7 year olds do you think we can carry? Building a list isn't just about high end talent.

The point of hitting the draft isn't selections in isolation. Gold Coast picked up Lukosius, Rankine, King, Rowell, Anderson in just 2 years, yes they've had many misses but you give your self enough selections you will end up landing talent like the above. We could go and pick up Kelly, Willams and Laird in the next 2 years and fight for a 6-8 finish but what would be the point?
The entire point of my post was based on Kelly being worth a single (top 3) pick in isolation.

Your comparison is absolutely ludicrous - Gold Coast had five, yes five top 6 picks across those two drafts (and whilst its early, appear to have defied the odds and got really good players with all of them). As it stands, we have ONE which will probably become two. We are not "giving ourselves enough selections" like you suggest because its simply not possible (in fact we probably won't even have as many top 20 picks as they had top 6 picks). We will have to make big moves to even get 3, which is still half the amount they had access to in your example. Unless you have some idea where we are ending up with four additional top 6 picks in the next 18 months, in which case I'm all ears? And even in that farfetched world, we probably aren't successful with all 6.

Fact is, we have one pick, which based on history has an 80% chance of not being as good as Kelly. And for the 100th time, this is not a suggestion we trade all (or even any) of our picks. Its so people can see a top 3 pick for what its worth - its a lotto ticket where 20-30% of tickets win big. And yes, even after typing this whole thing, we still have ONE of them.

Not sure why we are talking about Kelly for pick 3. He's essentially their best player and probably the smoothest midfielder in the league. There's no way you'd get him for just pick 3.

It's officially our Silly Season! Lots of hypotheticals are gettin' thrown around.

I heard that Alex Rance and Cyril will make their way to Hawthorn this off-season. *wink-wink*

It's officially our Silly Season! Lots of hypotheticals are gettin' thrown around.

I heard that Alex Rance and Cyril will make their way to Hawthorn this off-season. *wink-wink*

It’s nearly as good as the one last year where we were getting Whitfield and Coniglio 🥴

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back