List Mgmt. 2020 Trade/FA TARGETS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade hypotheticals and discussion of how you think or want a trade to happen go here - 2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread.

If you want to talk about a current Hawthorn player and if they’re staying on the list, it goes here - Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Trade/FA targets thread is for discussion of News about players we are to target via trade of FA. It’s not for “Kane Cornes says we should get this player”.

Yet ANOTHER reminder that this is NOT the thread for talking whether we should trade one of our own players(or news/rumors of this), and what we should get in return.This thread is for target discussion and players we want to join the HFC.
(Sigh....)

I think you need a quota of roughly one similar mod post to every 5 posts if you want this rule to stick.

Unless Merrett declares he wants Hawks I really don’t want Wright and Macca wasting any time on the circus that comes with that clown car of a club.

Hmm I am speaking to a lot of Essendon folks who are telling me Dodo is under massive scrutiny and they are sick of holding onto players that don’t want to be there. If Merrett will not sign a long term deal now then they would be crazy not to trade him right now.

The Daniher thing was a fiasco. To have your marquee player on 750k a year who had not played due to injury come out while still under contract and say I want out, get me to the swans and not get a deal done in the end was a farce for everyone involved.

Essendon supporters clapped and said well done Dodo for taking a stand and holding him... How did that turn out for you folks? Another 750k wasted and he still wants to leave. 🤦‍♂️.

This whole “holding your player against his will” thing must be absolutely rubbish for club morale.
HUGE factors at play.
Incoming chairman is asking questions around the club about Dodoro + lesson learned re:Daniher.
Merrett is gettable with a top 10 pick.

In two minds about merrett, I just don't see the value in adding him a year out from free agency when we are not contending . Every chance essendon match next year but cross that hurdle when it comes . He's a good player yes but since our decline we've all been banging on about what we had to give up for both wingard and o'meara this will be the same thing .

He’s a slower frost that offers less run and carry pretty much.

Corr is fast, has really good closing speed, stats would say faster than Frost - the below top speed puts him just below Impey as Hawthorn's fastest this year.
Yes he is just a defensive back though, you never really see him do anything creative.

GWS Giants
Top-five fastest AFL players

1. Lachie Ash – 35.6km/h v Essendon, round 10
  2. Aidan Corr – 34.1km/h v Gold Coast, round 9
  3. Bobby Hill – 34km/h v Carlton, round 15
  4. Isaac Cumming – 33.7km/h v North Melbourne, round 2
  5. Jeremy Cameron – 33.7km/h v Gold Coast, round 9

Corr is fast, has really good closing speed, stats would say faster than Frost - the below top speed puts him just below Impey as Hawthorn's fastest this year.
Yes he is just a defensive back though, you never really see him do anything creative.

GWS Giants

Thanks a direct replacement for stratton

We'd be silly to be targeting Merrett this year. He's contracted and Dodoro would be asking for overs, which is to be reasonably expected.

Go hard at the draft this year by using pick 4, another first rounder and Downie. If we manage even more, then that's a bonus. Also consider targeting the likes of Peter Wright, Aidan Corr and Riley Collier-Dawkins. They're more reasonable targets that would cost us less, not compromise our drafting strategy and have an immediate impact in our team.

And come next year, we draft a gun midfielder with our first round pick (which is likely to be top 10)...and go hard for Merrett!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS Giants

Would you say he was more conservative due to better quality ball movers off the backline around him?

First thing Sheeds did when he returned to the board was back Dodo. He's safe as houses.
Yes this is true but to me it sounds like all the animosity is coming from the boardroom level and I think it is freakin…

giphy.gif

That club is imploding from the top down.

In two minds about merrett, I just don't see the value in adding him a year out from free agency when we are not contending . Every chance essendon match next year but cross that hurdle when it comes . He's a good player yes but since our decline we've all been banging on about what we had to give up for both wingard and o'meara this will be the same thing .
Your exactly right. We are not contending this year and adding Merrett a year out from free agency is silly. Our climb back up to being a contender starts with adding some more quality youngsters and then tapping into free agency. Is there a chance Merrett goes somewhere else? Yes but that does not change the fact that with or without Merrett we still won't be contending for a while yet. However if we add 2-3 more quality kids in the upcoming draft and then sign a FA or 2 next offseason and the one after then things can change very quickly. If we get impatient and try to bring in Merrett now then we don't get that influx of youngsters that we desperately need.

Would you say he was more conservative due to better quality ball movers off the backline around him?

From the reports of how popular he was with Leon Cameron, I'd say so. Seems like a nice, coachable key defender who does the team stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back