2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Play the nice guy, so all the boys from good families come to us, can still provide support in his rehab not on our list
No mate, it's the absolute right thing to do and I've never been a fan of Gallucci from the minute we called his name at the draft. Duty of care and all that stuff.

Understand that, but I would prefer players want to come here because we are a strong successful well run club, not a charitable club,don’t want to wait another 3-4 years been living in mediocrity long enough

I hate to break it you, but we will be less than mediocre for at least another 4 years. IMO no chance for realistic flag till the 2030s. Let that sink in.

It will take time for the talent we recruit in 2020, 2021 to develop and come on. In our current squad, there is probably literally less than a handful of players that will be A Class for us. I say this sadly by the way.

Can’t we still offer all that support off our list, if we were in a better position we could keep him on,

This came up with Shaws injury management, where its a lot easier to provide more support by having him on our list then not as it saves on some red tape.

It's pretty much a "be a decent human being" moment in list management. Support him, help him set up his life post-football and part ways come the end of 2021. Or get him involved somewhere off-field.

I hate to break it you, but we will be less than mediocre for at least another 4 years. IMO no chance for realistic flag till the 2030s. Let that sink in.

It will take time for the talent we recruit in 2020, 2021 to develop and come on. In our current squad, there is probably literally less than a handful of players that will be A Class for us. I say this sadly by the way.
Keep playing charity it will take a lot longer, he should have put the decision beyond doubt but missed his chance

Right a quiet Sunday morning thoughts on below draft/trade strategy (yes it won’t all happen but can dream)

1: bid on Ugle-Haggan (WB match)
2: Thrilthorpe - FWD/Ruck
3: Hollands - MID
13: Trade > GWS for Hately
20: Baldwin - KPF
30: ? perhaps used as trade bait
40: Edwards FS pick - MID
46: Newchurch NGA pick - Small FWD
69: Borlase NGA pick - Utility
74: abit left field but throw a lifeline to Paddy McCartin

Trades
13> GWS for Hately

Laird + future 3rd to GWS for Caldwell + GWS 2021 3rd rounder coming back

2021 2nd rounder > GC for Will Brodie

2021 GWS 3rd rounder and future 4th > FRE for Valente

Massive influx of young talent a lot homegrown

Thrilthorpe - SA
Hollands - VIC Metro
Hately - SA
Baldwin - SA
Edwards - SA
Newchurch - SA
Borlase - SA
McCartin - VIC Metro - but he will grateful for the lifeline
Caldwell - VIC country
Brodie - Vic Country
Valente - SA

For starters Paddy McCartin is Vic Country - Geelong Falcons - Geelong Grammar - St.Joeys - a very familiar pathway to Tom Doedee

8 concussions since 2014 on top of his well documented type 1 diabetes. You're not serious surely?

Last edited:
Keep playing charity it will take a lot longer, he should have put the decision beyond doubt but missed his chance

I dont disagree. But the position the Club finds itself in, disliked by media, fans, and players outside the Club, the AFC needs to literally rebrand itself.

Trust me, there is a few players that can make way ahead of Gallucci that have been given their chances. Keeping him on for another year is not what is going to make or break us. However, dumping him sends a message to other players that may want to come here or that are on our list already.

I dont disagree. But the position the Club finds itself in, disliked by media, fans, and players outside the Club, the AFC needs to literally rebrand itself.

Trust me, there is a few players that can make way ahead of Gallucci that have been given their chances. Keeping him on for another year is not what is going to make or break us. However, dumping him sends a message to other players that may want to come here or that are on our list already.
Understand your point, but agree to disagree👍

For starters Paddy McCartin is Vic Country - Geelong Falcons - Geelong Grammar - St.Joeys - a very familiar pathway to Tom Doedee

8 concussions since 2014 on top of his well documented type 1 diabetes. You're nor serious surely?
For a pick in the 70’s basically a free hit

If any young player is smart, they would not want to join our shitshow.

Getting games is a good hook, but they need to trust that they will. I can't recall what kind of players Carlton and Melbourne attracted when they were as bad as us. We're not much of a proposition, there's presently no hope whatsoever on the horizon. With our management and selection and salary cap philosophies, I see good draft picks in and talented players out over the foreseeable future.

This came up with Shaws injury management, where its a lot easier to provide more support by having him on our list then not as it saves on some red tape.

It's pretty much a "be a decent human being" moment in list management. Support him, help him set up his life post-football and part ways come the end of 2021. Or get him involved somewhere off-field.

I haven't given up on him as a footballer yet. If he loses speed and/or agility, it'll make it hard, but I'm convinced he can play. I think he probably gave up on us a bit and had some certainty of a chance elsewhere. But football mortality is now staring him in the face. I want him on our list because I reckon he's very capable of turning it around and becoming a player.

I haven't given up on him as a footballer yet. If he loses speed and/or agility, it'll make it hard, but I'm convinced he can play. I think he probably gave up on us a bit and had some certainty of a chance elsewhere. But football mortality is now staring him in the face. I want him on our list because I reckon he's very capable of turning it around and becoming a player.

I'd be very surprised if Gooch makes it after this. Certainly had the ability prior, but an Achillies is likely to impact speed and leg power. Gooch loses those, and he's finished regardless of how much drive he has.

Last edited:
I'd be very surprised if Gooch makes it after this. Certainly had the ability prior, but an Achillies is likely to impact speed and leg power. Gooch loses though, and he's finished regardless of how much drive he has.

Can only remember Roughy doing one, so have nothing to support my view. Roughy didn't rely on speed though. VB was done for speed and agility before his, so hard to tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, but he was just never that good at football. Sure he was pick 1, but more Jack Watts than Nick Riewoldt.

Who would he play in front of? Fog, Worrell, McAsey, McAdam, Thilthorpe...?

List cloggers are not required, especially if list sizes drop.

Getting games is a good hook, but they need to trust that they will. I can't recall what kind of players Carlton and Melbourne attracted when they were as bad as us. We're not much of a proposition, there's presently no hope whatsoever on the horizon. With our management and selection and salary cap philosophies, I see good draft picks in and talented players out over the foreseeable future.

A lot of outside types if I remember correctly.

That said, opportunity is the hook, but I personally wouldn't touch anyone that doesn't have an inside game at the moment. They'll need it to get through the next 2 years.

Whilst a free hit at that point, I wouldn't waste it on someone who really has no hope of being an AFL footballer anymore.

Not that he lacks talent, but he's one concussion away from retirement and diabetes is another issue on top of it. Sometimes its not meant to be and this is one of those scenarios.

A lot of outside types if I remember correctly.

That said, opportunity is the hook, but I personally wouldn't touch anyone that doesn't have an inside game at the moment. They'll need it to get through the next 2 years.

Definitely only need those that can get their own ball for the next year or 2. Should see what we can get for Lynch. I'll be disappointed if he's still on our list next year.

So did anyone that watched the GWS game today see anything that particularly excited them about Hately? Must profess I didn't see a whole lot and I'm amazed he's getting a game ahead of Jye Caldwell. I'm still not convinced anything more than a mid second round pick is his value.

So did anyone that watched the GWS game today see anything that particularly excited them about Hately? Must profess I didn't see a whole lot and I'm amazed he's getting a game ahead of Jye Caldwell. I'm still not convinced anything more than a mid second round pick is his value.

Didn't like his game today and I've been a fan. Got towelled up by Kane Farrell.

He seems to be hard at the ball and courageous. Quite clean with the ball too. Not the fastest though.

This stuff about getting talented young guys not getting game time at other clubs is all so fanciful.

We all know the only kind of players we will be bringing in are unspectacular guys like Lynch, Jenkins, Cheney, Gibson, Seedsman, Hampton, Menzel.

Won't pay much in trade terms. Most won't get a game. Some will be serviceable.

The only superstar we've brought in in recent times is Eddie. And he went home again anyway.
I’m sorry but Lynch and Jenkins were much more ‘than serviceable’. In fact, they were both very valuable cogs in a team that dominated the comp until GF day. Short memories in here.

We’ve a lot of draft picks and out of favour senior players

Thoughts on below?

Trade GWS 1st back to them - Hately

Trade to GWS Laird + future 3rd - Caldwell

Trade 2021 future 2nd rounder > GC Suns = Will Brodie

Trade future 3rd rounder > FRE = Valente

Midfield improved rapidly
Hately
Caldwell
Brodie
Valente

All added in
You only had to watch the GWS and Power game today to know we don’t need Hately

Correct. We did a lot of Shaw, even putting him onto the rookie list so he would get the benefits of the new CBA the AFLPA were negotiating.

And then, he came back and went the legal route. Nice

Going to be interesting to see what we can do if Edwards is expected to go somewhere between 10-20.

How do we move pick 20 in ahead of a bid on him? Perhaps someone like the Saints might be interested in moving on pick 13,57,73 for 20,26

Remove this Banner Ad

Back