2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont forget big 'Brackets' Mc Govern also

We certainly have lost some real quality at market rates - Danger (loyal to his local area plus other family benefits) AND CC stand out (CC was Nobles brilliance at again getting quality players for unders, see also like Neale, Mc Carthy etc) - but also MOST player losses were for OFFERS WAY OVER market value at the time like Davis, Bock, Tippett, Mc Govern, Lever.

Not sure this point is acknowledged
Cameron was offered more than double his Crows wage by Brisbane. I don't know if that agrees with your point or not

Cameron was offered more than double his Crows wage by Brisbane. I don't know if that agrees with your point or not
cameron not worth the money he getting either.

this is why brad crouch actually ironically is worth more than many other players. when he does front up and is not injured he plays well. when was the last time he actually had a stinker. i can’t remember

Hypothetical

Should port be the club Crouch ends up agreeing to and if Rucci's mooted $2.6 Million / 4 year offer be on the mark and it is less than we need for Band 1, do we look to strike a deal with port where we won't match to force a trade (they have very little in the way of draft capital and would have to burn next years 1st at least in any deal if they have not traded other players out) accept band 2 compo and they let us take Jones at pick 8. I know that is losing brad for lower compo but Jones is quite highly rated and I am thinking he might be a better option than any other kid on the board at 8. Maybe we also use the band 2 compo and maybe atkins compo to trade back into the first round..just a left field thought to try and mitigate less compo than what we are thinking is possible
Jones walks around wearing his Port Power beanie already. He's 100% theirs.

yes it does. we were paying unders and the apparent 550k ish for him by Lions was clearly more befitting of a top 2 small forward in the league. Interesting that he was again shopping himself around earlier this year hoping for another 200k ish next contract

ok what was his market rate then in 2015 (before the last large round of wage increases came in)? Purported salary of 800-850k paid by Geelong when leaving crows (which crows could have matched)?
Except Geelong could have afforded a lot more than that, and a lot more than we could have matched.

cameron not worth the money he getting either.

this is why brad crouch actually ironically is worth more than many other players. when he does front up and is not injured he plays well. when was the last time he actually had a stinker. i can’t remember
you wouldnt pay him 550k for his last couple of years of output? ok, thats surprising

I said ‘almost’. Not on par. Almost on par. And I’m backing that call in. They are top of the ladder. And a lot of that has to do with their younger players — which include Houston and BBJ. And trust me, Burgoyne and Jones will be as good as most GC kids coming through.
Let's not break our arm patting Port ******* Power on the back. They've been massively disappointing for a decade. I'm unconvinced of how they will still be without Boak, Ebert, Gray, Dixon, Westhoff, Hartlett, Rockliff, Motlop Jonas etc.

Time will tell. They've drafted a lot of mid-forwards recently. We'll see how they all go together.

Except Geelong could have afforded a lot more than that, and a lot more than we could have matched.
ok this is a fairly peripheral point to what i was trying to make, which is that most of our players that have left for BIG money over-the-odd contracts havent actually worked out that well for new clubs like Brackets, Lever, Bock and Tiprat. Clearly Davis is the exception but was offered something like 800k on a contract we couldn't get near.

If Danger was offered 800-850k I dont think thats MATERIALLY (10-15%) away from his true market worth - anyway not a big point from my perspective.

yes it does. we were paying unders and the apparent 550k ish for him by Lions was clearly more befitting of a top 2 small forward in the league. Interesting that he was again shopping himself around earlier this year hoping for another 200k ish next contract
Yeah, they threw another $100k or so on is my understanding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what is he being paid now on his new deal?
sorry, i thought you were querying dangers salary - perhaps overlapping issues. i think Camerons new salary is in the vicinity of 650k (similar to what MegoMan) confirmed he has recently pushed for a pay rise earlier in the year. 650k for a top 2-3 small forward in the game seems right to me.

He was AA last year and is on his day potentially the hardest match up in the game.

sorry, i thought you were querying dangers salary - perhaps overlapping issues. i think Camerons new salary is in the vicinity of 650k (similar to what MegoMan) confirmed he has recently pushed for a pay rise earlier in the year. 650k for a top 2-3 small forward in the game seems right to me.

He was AA last year and is on his day potentially the hardest match up in the game.
yeh look i loved cameron when we had him but he’s still inconsistent

I said ‘almost’. Not on par. Almost on par. And I’m backing that call in. They are top of the ladder. And a lot of that has to do with their younger players — which include Houston and BBJ. And trust me, Burgoyne and Jones will be as good as most GC kids coming through.
Almost is near the same....you would be laughed at even by the most bias Port Power supporter.

Because he has missed a fair bit of footy over the years IF he is over his injury he may have quite a bit of footy left as his body should be less worn and torn than others of his age. But that is just me

II think this is the biggest question mark on Brad as nobody really doubts his ability or game but his body and its ability to hold up to play another 100 games is the issue. If he was durable he would easily attract alot higher offers but clubs would be cautious to carry such a contract in rehab if he has more extended injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back