2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You may be unfair on Godden, I rated him highly at WWT. Hart has not ever had his own team and to say that nor has Nicks prior to the AFC. I see not to many blaming the senior coach when he is the key to selection and tactics. Once he signed on the dotted line he is the one in control and responsible. If he had concerns when he signed he should have been upfront. If he chooses not to pick players its his call. The fitness group seems a problem still.

At the moment, no. Our midfield is a shambles and currently, worse than Campo. That's on Nicks and Godden. Our forward line is on Nicks and Hart.

Any prospect who enters those two areas, is frankly, going to struggle. We could have Ports boys and they'd look SANFL standard pretty quickly (except Duursma, he'd probably be ok). We've also seen clubs rocket up the ladder by fixing their line coaches/senior assistants because it allows for more effective structures.

Nicks gets a bit of leeway because he inherited a shitshow of a coaching group below him. That goes next season as anyone here is at the behest of Nicks.

Wouldn't make one iota of a difference. Any player coming into our system would be faced with being coached by Hart and Gooden.

Changing recruiter would just be shuffling deck chairs on the titanic. Our issue is coaching and fitness.

The systems that develop players are key, not the recruiter. Teams who think it's all on the recruiter fail rebuilds.
Yeah our development of talent certainly feels as if it's dropped off in recent years. I do wonder whether it's the system as you've suggested, the coaches or the group where it pushed the best out of everyone on the list.

For where we're looking to be over the next few years, getting this right is crucial.

How good would Brad be for the Saints...

" and inquired on Adelaide free agent Brad Crouch last year while he was still in contract. "

Could be a problem for us there, though. If the offer isn't enough to draw band 1 compensation, what happens then? Just matching and forcing a trade for their 1st isn't an option - St Kilda traded our their 2020 2nd and 3rd last year which means they can't trade their 1st this year (I think that's the rule, anyway? Or could they just not trade it last year, but they're allowed to trade it this year since it's no longer a future pick?). So unless they can trade in another 1st (haven't heard if they have any big names looking to leave?), or we're willing to take a punt on their 2021 1st (bearing in mind that they look like a team on its way up the ladder rather than down) then it could make things awkward.

Could be a problem for us there, though. If the offer isn't enough to draw band 1 compensation, what happens then? Just matching and forcing a trade for their 1st isn't an option - St Kilda traded our their 2020 2nd and 3rd last year which means they can't trade their 1st this year (I think that's the rule, anyway? Or could they just not trade it last year, but they're allowed to trade it this year since it's no longer a future pick?). So unless they can trade in another 1st (haven't heard if they have any big names looking to leave?), or we're willing to take a punt on their 2021 1st (bearing in mind that they look like a team on its way up the ladder rather than down) then it could make things awkward.
I think the rule is that they couldn't trade it last year, but they can this year, as long as they have 2x1st in 4 years (or whatever Geelong decide is the right amount of picks).

If they finish high, then we say we want next year's pick as well, or we keep him. We have the space if it's a poor deal, so all they can then do is ramp up the offer until it's a compo band 1.

Pretty much, would need to get into the league side and light up a finals series. Even then, that isn't a guarantee to rise him up the draft boards, thinking back to Boyd Woodcock.

We also do have that 20% discount, but the GWS pick would be used if there is a bid before it (as it goes to your next available pick), it would just potentially increase what we get back from a bid.
Excess points from a bid in the first round do not generate a later pick.

Rather those excess points get “banked” to match a bid on another kid later in the draft, or held over to the next draft.

For example, if Newchurch was bid on in the first round before the GWS pick, any excess points could be used to help match a later bid on Borlase.

If that happened, we could trade pick 12 out if we had something lined up - maybe into something including a future pick. It could get tricky for us if we have to sort out Edwards and Borlase - Reid and Ogilvie will have to be in good form and figure the best way forward.
If I were Brisbane in such a scenario, I’d offer our two later first round picks to move up, with a later round pick coming back as well.

That way you match with one pick, and still have another first round pick to draft another kid.

Gubby Allen is at St Kilda isn’t he?

Wouldn't make one iota of a difference. Any player coming into our system would be faced with being coached by Hart and Gooden.

Changing recruiter would just be shuffling deck chairs on the titanic. Our issue is coaching and fitness.

The systems that develop players are key, not the recruiter. Teams who think it's all on the recruiter fail rebuilds.
Port have had very little time to develop Georgiadis (maybe a good thing) given this is his first year, he has been injured, pre season has been interrupted by Corona and there is little gap between games.

This is one you can give the credit to the recruiters.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

We match and keep him as a underpriced mid.

There's no matching and trading. That still wouldn't be enough, and the attraction for clubs with Crouch is that he's free. If they have to pay, they'll be far less interested.

You understand if you match the offer, he can still nominate for the pre season draft, which is a ridiculous rule, brought in by the pa.

I note my team Geelong is keen, which is not a great fit for us, we would better putting time into constable. North have also ruled themselves out.

I also note Kane Cornes has suggested that perhaps it is better he sits out the rest of the year to be of more value to other clubs.

I reckon the saints rumour is a herring by his manager, the saints have a great balanced midfield as is, with the development of Clark, billings and Gresham don't need another mid. It's down to the blues and bombers, both entering premiership windows needing another big bodied mid

We match and keep him as a underpriced mid.

There's no matching and trading. That still wouldn't be enough, and the attraction for clubs with Crouch is that he's free. If they have to pay, they'll be far less interested.

You understand if you match the offer, he can still nominate for the pre season draft, which is a ridiculous rule, brought in by the pa.

I note my team Geelong is keen, which is not a great fit for us, we would better putting time into constable. North have also ruled themselves out.

I also note Kane Cornes has suggested that perhaps it is better he sits out the rest of the year to be of more value to other clubs.

I reckon the saints rumour is a herring by his manager, the saints have a great balanced midfield as is, with the development of Clark, billings and Gresham don't need another mid. It's down to the blues and bombers, both entering premiership windows needing another big bodied mid
Quoting Kane Cornes opinion on something is instabanworthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Run along now champ. Make sure you answer the door when the contact tracers knock.

Yeah, but if we finish bottom, as seems likely, we have pick 1 in the PSD, so we can stop him going that way if we choose to make a stand. And after getting f*cked over with player departures over the years, I would be more than happy for the club to make a stand.

We should not trade for any stocking-fillers, only top-notch players who will demonstrably improve the side. If we can't get them then revert to the draft.

We should start by offering the world to Toby Greene: he's not my cup of tea as a person, but is exactly the sort of player we need.

We should not trade for any stocking-fillers, only top-notch players who will demonstrably improve the side. If we can't get them then revert to the draft.

We should start by offering the world to Toby Greene: he's not my cup of tea as a person, but is exactly the sort of player we need.
not too sure - I would be happy to look at offering a 3rd rounder to get someone like Callum Coleman-Jones from Richmond (a guy that could have some real upside)- we are so thin on the ground for rucks

You may be unfair on Godden, I rated him highly at WWT. Hart has not ever had his own team and to say that nor has Nicks prior to the AFC. I see not to many blaming the senior coach when he is the key to selection and tactics. Once he signed on the dotted line he is the one in control and responsible. If he had concerns when he signed he should have been upfront. If he chooses not to pick players its his call. The fitness group seems a problem still.
Godden had the Eagles set up well defensively, but they struggled to move the ball. Finals record after 2011 abysmal. Almost as bad as the Crows are now at clearances.

Keep
Stengle
Crocker (on the rookie list)
Keays (on the rookie list)
Gallucci (one year deal)
Taylor (on the rookie list)
Himmelberg (one year deal)

Delist
Mackay
Hartigan
Knight
Poholke
Strachan
Wilson

Trade
Smith

Free Agent
Atkins
Brad Crouch

Pay to Retire
Walker
Gibbs

9 changes to the senior list. I'd be looking to take 6 at the draft plus trade in an experienced 30+ year old senior player with leadership experience. Hopefully list size cuts will do the rest
Galluci gotta go. Two deers in headlights

I'm glad Atkins is a free agent. If he leaves we'll get above what we would get in a trade.

The 5 bands of compensation ends at a 3rd round pick, we don't have our 3rd round pick, but we may have the next best, Freo's 3rd rounder.

Pick 40 currently.
If list sizes are reduced this year, and clubs only required to draft two players rather than three as a consequence, the third round picks will be essentially worthless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back