2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Hately is on $400k of that. I'd expect Keays' extension is on a little note than what he arrived on. I doubt between those 2 there's much left of Brad's $600k.
Wouldn't the bigger issue be that the salary cap has been cut by $1.3m or so?

Wouldn't the bigger issue be that the salary cap has been cut by $1.3m or so?

No, that's against existing contracts. Would only be an issue if we signed or extended someone that included a clause that their payments were not impacted. To be material to the discussion it would need to be a huge contact.

Surely Hately is on $400k of that. I'd expect Keays' extension is on a little note than what he arrived on. I doubt between those 2 there's much left of Brad's $600k.
Yes, agree on Hately, but the fact we were considering a match suggests some room, it wasn't a matter of us not being able to afford Brad was it?

Maybe we've given the change to McKay?

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, agree on Hately, but the fact we were considering a match suggests some room, it wasn't a matter of us not being able to afford Brad was it?

We could've afforded it, we even offered him more early on.

Bean pole ruckman, classic rookie project type I think whilst he puts on the required 20kgs to be a competitive AFL ruckman.

In normal years, is probably certainty to get selected in the rookie list. This year, he may miss out just due to sheer lack of rookie spots with clubs rushing to list all their borderline senior list players as "rookies".

I doubt we'll draft him, especially since we don't have a rookie draft selection.
If Henry puts on 20kg he will be the heaviest player in the AFL by a fair margin now that Aaron Sandilands is retired easily surpassing current day monsters Mason Cox and Maxxy Gawn who are both taller. Maybe someone had a foot on the scales but that's what he measured in at at the Combine.

He measured in at 204.3cm and 95.5 Kegs at the recent SANFL Combine according to AFL Draft Central's Ed Pascoe...he's no longer the 82kg string bean he was at the start of last year.

Last edited:
Surely not re-signing Brad has freed up considerable cash, $600K that hasn't gone anywhere else?

That money is in the same war chest as the Tippett money and the Dangerfield money.
I suspect we are close to buying a mansion on Sydney Harbour.

No, that's against existing contracts. Would only be an issue if we signed or extended someone that included a clause that their payments were not impacted. To be material to the discussion it would need to be a huge contact.
But the AFL have left it up to clubs to renegotiate player contracts to find $1.3m savings... which is why you have the Pies in so much strife as they were already overloaded.

We are saving Brouch, Atkins, Hartigan & Knight, along with no longer paying for Betts & Jenkins. This would be comfortably finding the savings needed & fitting in Hately & Keays on a new deal.

Were we considering matching? Maybe before Hately fell in our lap, perhaps not after. Maybe we couldn't which is why we didn't.

If Henry puts on 20kg he will be the heaviest player in the AFL by a fair margin now that Aaron Sandilands is retired easily surpassing current day monsters Mason Cox and Maxxy Gawn who are both taller. Maybe someone had a foot on the scales but that's what he measured in at at the Combine.

He measured in at 204.3cm and 95.5 Kegs at the recent SANFL Combine according to AFL Draft Central's Ed Pascoe...he's no longer the 82kg string bean he was at the start of last year.

Fair enough, tried to check his weight, apparently I was working off old data.

Were we considering matching? Maybe before Hately fell in our lap, perhaps not after. Maybe we couldn't which is why we didn't.

We knew Hately was coming here before the whole Brad Crouch fiasco.

With the money freed up by not needing to resign Atkins and Hartigan (noting we probably were planning to if we didn't implode in 2020), as well as Betts and Jenkins salary off our books, I doubt it factors.

Brad seemed like we talked big game before getting cold feet on it.

Fair call. I hadn't actually heard that the AFLPA had agreed that all players were pro rata cutting their pay by 10%. But seeing some of the weirdness that's happening at Essendon, that's probably true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair call. I hadn't actually heard that the AFLPA had agreed that all players were pro rata cutting their pay by 10%. But seeing some of the weirdness that's happening at Essendon, that's probably true.
I don't believe the AFLPA has agreed to pro-rata cuts next year, like they did this year.

Mentioned on the Draft & Trading Board that the AFL has left it to clubs to renegotiate contracts to fit within the $1.3M reduced salary cap.

I keep getting this strange symbol blocking text and the legend 'Requests to the server have been blocked by an extension'. Does anyone know how to fix this?

You probably have a Platinum Membership - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/account/upgrades ;) running that stops embedded tweets from showing up

Time to sign the fog on a 4 year contract before he adds $100k per year on his contract after this season. Looks like he’s ready to play this year

That is great to see. Really pleased he has been putting in the work.

I'll get really excited when I see Tex and McAdam looking the same...
Whatchootalkinabout Willis? Tex was in great shape after the COVID lockdown. Round is a shape. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back