2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

kick it to me_

Draftee
Jul 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Everyone is talking about needing a big bodied mid and suggesting to get hately out of GWS. I know he's not an SA lad but I reckon this guy would have more upside..big with pace. Also on record for being frustrated about not getting a game in the AFL.

I think he went around pick 20 in his draft year and the knock was he was fairly raw.

RILEY COLLIER-DAWKINS

Out of contract 2020.

Watch his highlights from 2019 vlf grandfinal.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The mighty Panthers, GWV Rebels, Be
My sentence " No problems trading out matt if he wants to go "
Eventually you write "You trade out when the player wants to leave and you cant keep him"

Not sure why you were so up in arms, we're in agreement. If Matt want's to go, then we trade him, it's pretty simple. Sure, we can force him to stay until his contract is up the year after. Is that your strategy? Genius if so.
Not the way I read Cleric post at all. Numerous posters on this board are calling for Matt to be traded even though he has a year to run on his contract.

Where exactly has it been mentioned anywhere that Matt wants out before his contract is up?

Cleric's main point the way I read it is that if he only attracts a late 1st round pick in this draft there is absolutely no guarantee the draftee we select with that pick will ever reach the same heights and in all likelihood not be as good in terms of ability, let alone the factor even if they do turn out OK they will more than likely take at least a couple of years to reach the input of Matt currently even though he's down on form..

Interloperer

All Australian
Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
He was adamant the rebuild was a planned and clear decision.
This doesn't surprise me in the least. The current/late-2019 board would love anything that (theoretically) allows them multiple years leeway before they can be judged.

Whether the team is any good at the end of the "rebuild" is purely incidental.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1970crow

Hall of Famer
Jun 7, 2011
Port MacDonnell yay!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not the way I read Cleric post at all. Numerous posters on this board are calling for Matt to be traded even though he has a year to run on his contract.

Where exactly has it been mentioned anywhere that Matt wants out before his contract is up?

Cleric's main point the way I read it is that if he only attracts a late 1st round pick in this draft there is absolutely no guarantee the draftee we select with that pick will ever reach the same heights and in all likelihood not be as good in terms of ability, let alone the factor even if they do turn out OK they will more than likely take at least a couple of years to reach the input of Matt currently even though he's down on form..
My first post that Cleric responded to - " Tredders saying on AA that a couple of melbourne clubs into Matt Crouch. No problems trading out matt if he wants to go. "

There's lots of moving parts to consider, that's a given and doesn't need to be mentioned with every simple post. But my comment that if he wants to go, I've no problem with him going. Same with Brad for pick 2 if that happened, but as I've posted before, Brad is the one that I'd prefer to build a new midfield around as he's comfortably our best when fit and at the right age. If I had a choice of losing one of the 3, it'd be skip that I hope asks for a trade. I think he's grossly overpaid for the midfielder that he's become. I think with decent fitness again, Matt can return to form, I see Sloane's body packing it in a hurry and circa $800k/year for the next few is far too much. At least if Laird wants out he's building his value again. But now that they've finally played him where he always looked he'd be extremely good, I'd rather keep him too.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The mighty Panthers, GWV Rebels, Be
My first post that Cleric responded to - " Tredders saying on AA that a couple of melbourne clubs into Matt Crouch. No problems trading out matt if he wants to go. "

There's lots of moving parts to consider, that's a given and doesn't need to be mentioned with every simple post. But my comment that if he wants to go, I've no problem with him going. Same with Brad for pick 2 if that happened, but as I've posted before, Brad is the one that I'd prefer to build a new midfield around as he's comfortably our best when fit and at the right age. If I had a choice of losing one of the 3, it'd be skip that I hope asks for a trade. I think he's grossly overpaid for the midfielder that he's become. I think with decent fitness again, Matt can return to form, I see Sloane's body packing it in a hurry and circa $800k/year for the next few is far too much. At least if Laird wants out he's building his value again. But now that they've finally played him where he always looked he'd be extremely good, I'd rather keep him too.
Laird was pretty good across half back as well, like 2 consecutive AA teams in 17/18. I think too many people underrate the importance of having running backs that work as a springboard for attack...

Look at Bachar Houli and jason Johannisen roles in their teams Preniership years, how Bachar Houli didn't win the Norm Smith in one of those grand finals is a joke.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Caldwell hails from the Bendigo District he's not a Melbourne Metro mummy's boy....a lot of his best mates are from the Vic Country team he played most of his footy with or against all through his junior footy so he might even look at Brisbane with Tom Berry one of those. You honestly have no bloody clue where he would be prepared to go to further his football career......My guess would be GWS wouldn't be in a hurry to move him on just yet either so likely give him another 2 year contract. Zac Williams is likely on the move so that will free up cap space.
You’re right, I wouldn’t have a clue where he would be prepared to go. But I am well aware he’s a Vic Country lad, and not tied to Melbourne as such.

I’m also well aware he’s spoken about on every Vic, NSW and QLD teams boards as a trade target, just as much as he’s mentioned here.

It’s ok for me to speculate in a discussion here, if he’d choose Adelaide over another team.

No one on our board got their back up when it was revealed that Zac Williams isn’t keen to move to a QLD club. It was “ah well, let’s move on to the next player to discuss”. And he was regarded as our number 1 target on the Lions board.

Honestly, I’m trying to be polite here and not sh*t on Adelaide in discussions. It’s not my thing to sh*t on clubs. So if I mention I don’t believe player xyz would move to Adelaide, it’s not personal. It’s just an opinion as part of a discussion.

I’ve said exactly the same on our board over the years, when we’ve discussed trade targets. “Why would xyz, an A grade player from abc club, leave their club to sign with the Lions”, when there’s been absolutely no indication of them wanting to leave abc club, other than they haven’t re-signed yet.

Top Bottom