2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus I'd love to have your ability/imagination to read things into people's posts, all I was saying he had 2 yes 2 season's where he was also played AA worthy across half back. Nothing more, nothing less.

But that wasn't relevant in any way whatsoever. We were discussing midfielders, which he presently is. Who cares what he did 3-4 years ago, he's been s**t in that role recently and is now enjoying a resurgence as a mid and could well be our second best behind Brad. Who cares about past deeds when he's moved to a harder role and is going extremely well. It bothers you for some reason. I just saw your little jibe in the GBU thread. It's not my imagination, it's laid bare and easy to see.

I wouldn't call Graham and Coleman-Jones list cloggers. Coleman-Jones has a lot of potential to be a really strong ruck/forward. Was a highish pick. Graham has a much lower ceilings but would be a great player to shield kids in the midfield.
1 game in 3 year's for CCJ is way more relevant than him being a highish pick 3 whole years ago.

And we don't need a another slowish inside mid/tagger, we need mids with burst speed that enable them to get separation....Jack Graham is not that.

You’ve summarised beautifully that Laird is incapable since 6/6/6 and needs to be on a midfield line where his defensive action is better suited than being exposed for height. He was an AA in plus one times. Less so when he got cramped up.

Even forgetting about his failings as a defender of late, just look at his performance as a mid and his attributes to play the role. He's got all the non-negotiables stitched up, it's bleedingly obvious.

1 game in 3 year's for CCJ is way more relevant than him being a highish pick 3 whole years ago.

And we don't need a another slowish inside mid/tagger, we need mids with burst speed that enable them to get separation....Jack Graham is not that.
Ruckman don’t generally break into senior sides early on , far less when a side is rarely losing and has had a good run with injury

But that wasn't relevant in any way whatsoever. We were discussing midfielders, which he presently is. Who cares what he did 3-4 years ago, he's been sh*t in that role recently and is now enjoying a resurgence as a mid and could well be our second best behind Brad. Who cares about past deeds when he's moved to a harder role and is going extremely well. It bothers you for some reason. I just saw your little jibe in the GBU thread. It's not my imagination, it's laid bare and easy to see.
I told you I'm not that guy, did I not make it clear enough.

RCD not likely to be going anywhere.

There's no way Shedda leaves either. Wouldn't even be on big money to need to salary dump.

The Crouch trade is more about us giving you fringe youngsters for nothing I'm exchange for you covering a portion of his salary. However, it will only happen if the FA offer isn't high enough to get you pick two.
Which is impossible to do unless we re sign him. Do you want us to chip in for some of Dustys contract ? maybe we could add to the gofundme that was started for Pickett?

Even forgetting about his failings as a defender of late, just look at his performance as a mid and his attributes to play the role. He's got all the non-negotiables stitched up, it's bleedingly obvious.
Unfortunately or unforgivably it’s a have to abide situation

You guys wouldn’t match the offer if afl said r2 which is top 20, that’s prob market value his age injury risk et al

Firstly, everything is pointing to him netting us band one compensation. Secondly, if it was band 2 end of first round compensation, we'd just re-sign him. He's happy to stay if the money is right.

Ruckman don’t generally break into senior sides early on , far less when a side is rarely losing and has had a good run with injury
I thought you said he was a Ruck/Forward?

I've always classed him as more likely to make it at AFL level as Forward/Ruck right back to his junior football. i.e. Key Forward that chops out in ruck or takes stoppages in the Forward zone as and when needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it could be that if Crouch isn't looking like getting you pick two, rather than taking pick 20 for him we do a trade and give up a first round pick plus Graham and Coleman-Jones. Something along those lines anyway. Perhaps similar to the Dangerfield deal?

I think the effort against Port with very much our B team midfield (no Cotch, Prestia, Edwards or Nank) has me quite optimistic about beating Port come finals. As you guys have seen first hand, we don't normally let teams beat us twice in one year.

Good luck with the rebuild. Taking the hit now will probably help you long term, so it's not such a bad thing.
I think the idea was that we cpuld get band 1 for crouch with you guys paying him enough and then we offer up a good 2nd rounder for a couple of fringe players like townsend and ccj that takes money off your books.

I thought you said he was a Ruck/Forward?

I've always classed him as more likely to make it at AFL level as Forward/Ruck right back to his junior football. i.e. Key Forward that chops out in ruck or takes stoppages in the Forward zone as and when needed.
And we’re well covered for a developing ruck/forward who will peak in 4 years with Thilthorpe and Berg.

But that wasn't relevant in any way whatsoever. We were discussing midfielders, which he presently is. Who cares what he did 3-4 years ago, he's been sh*t in that role recently and is now enjoying a resurgence as a mid and could well be our second best behind Brad. Who cares about past deeds when he's moved to a harder role and is going extremely well. It bothers you for some reason. I just saw your little jibe in the GBU thread. It's not my imagination, it's laid bare and easy to see.
It’s a false dichotomy again. It’s number accumulation and it doesn’t hurt efficiency wise. But it is his better place.

I think I’ve nailed it

Let Brad go to Richmond as a FA making sure they pay enough for band 1 so we get pick 2

Then trade pick 2 for Coleman Jones
And CCJ is contracted, if he wasn't he could just walk to us basically in the pre-season draft

Jack Graham's out of contract season's end....:think:

And CCJ is contracted, if he wasn't he could just walk to us basically in the pre-season draft

Jack Graham's out of contract season's end....:think:
Dreamers. What do we actually need. Half backs so the ones we got go mid? Like Laird and Smith.
Thats why I say Ballard.
a midfielder is hard to come by. It’s have to be coin orientaded.

You’ve summarised beautifully that Laird is incapable since 6/6/6 and needs to be on a midfield line where his defensive action is better suited than being exposed for height. He was an AA in plus one times. Less so when he got cramped up.

I think this is a good assessment re 6/6/6. Laird’s real strength was his ability to provide the “chop out” when we were under the pump. To be in the right place at the right time. There’s been much less of that lately and the 6/6/6 rule is probably as good a reason as many for his average form, albeit combined with our general shiteness on all levels.

Laird shifting to the midfield and playing good footy is handy on a number of levels. The one area we’re reasonably flushed with young talent is small-medium defenders in Milera, Doedee, McPherson, Hamill and Scholl. Shifting Laird is one way to help get these guys, especially the latter few, the games they need to develop.

Then there’s the Crouch issue. Do we sell both? Keep one or both. What does our midfield look like if they leave, it’ll need some protection. Laird, along with Keayes, probably provide enough mature body support int the midfield to Sloane to help develop younger talent. It makes for a far more defensively minded midfield which can teach good habits, along with being more versatile being able to play other positions.

How attractive do you think it will be to potential trace targets being in SA and not Danistan?

Playing for Port maybe. Most players would rather take their chances with COVID and lockdowns than play for our rabble though.

I think this is a good assessment re 6/6/6. Laird’s real strength was his ability to provide the “chop out” when we were under the pump. To be in the right place at the right time. There’s been much less of that lately and the 6/6/6 rule is probably as good a reason as many for his average form, albeit combined with our general shiteness on all levels.

Laird shifting to the midfield and playing good footy is handy on a number of levels. The one area we’re reasonably flushed with young talent is small-medium defenders in Milera, Doedee, McPherson, Hamill and Scholl. Shifting Laird is one way to help get these guys, especially the latter few, the games they need to develop.

Then there’s the Crouch issue. Do we sell both? Keep one or both. What does our midfield look like if they leave, it’ll need some protection. Laird, along with Keayes, probably provide enough mature body support int the midfield to Sloane to help develop younger talent. It makes for a far more defensively minded midfield which can teach good habits, along with being more versatile being able to play other positions.
I’m thinking Sloane should play a negate forward in future like Gheary.

Here we go, its started early. You give us you're only midfielder and we offload a couple of no-namers and a 2nd rounder, but wait you have to pay your guys salary to balance it up.
This board is going to get bombarded with a whole lot of names we've never heard of in the next couple of months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back