2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Among other clubs. Was he involved with the current crop?

Strategic coach Rob Harding leaves Crows to go home and join Essendon
Andrew Capel, The Advertiser October 24, 2016 5:26pm

ADELAIDE has lost highly-rated strategic and opposition analysis coach Rob Harding to Essendon.
Harding — lauded by the Crows for his ability to pick apart opposition game plans — returns to his home State of Victoria where he will link up with Bombers coach John Worsfold, who he worked briefly with at Adelaide last year.

Harding takes over the role of Game Intelligence and Opposition Strategy Coach at Essendon and has worked in the AFL for a decade.

“The opportunity to come back to Victoria, work for a big Victorian club and alongside John is really exciting,” Harding told the Bombers’ website.

“The great challenge for every club is to not try and copy what has just been successful but to try and get ahead of the game and move to the next level.

not too sure - I would be happy to look at offering a 3rd rounder to get someone like Callum Coleman-Jones from Richmond (a guy that could have some real upside)- we are so thin on the ground for rucks
Thin on for rucks is an understatement, Crows need to be throwing the sink at CCJ. A combination of CCJ and Thilthorpe for 2021 would be much more potent and add structure and ability to the forward line compared to ROB and frampton / Himmelberg/ Strachan.

Thin on for rucks is an understatement, Crows need to be throwing the sink at CCJ. A combination of CCJ and Thilthorpe for 2021 would be much more potent and add structure and ability to the forward line compared to ROB and frampton / Himmelberg/ Strachan.
For his first game i saw a few traits in strachan i liked. He got downand dirty and really tried to impact. He will be better for the game but gee his physique is not really one of an AFL footballer..no muscle definition at all. Hopefully he can play a few more games and hit the gym hard in the off season

Both are Forwards that Ruck part time neither are Rucks that play forward part time......I doubt either will ever be in the top bracket as Ruckmen. They're chop out Ruckmen IMO

Both are Forwards that Ruck part time neither are Rucks that play forward part time......I doubt either will ever be in the top bracket as Ruckmen. They're chop out Ruckmen IMO
CCJ would be the main ruckman in that combo, but agree totally with thilthorpe being the 70/80% forward who chops out. CCJ is good around the ground in the air and at ground level and can definitely clunk them when up forward which we lack but more importantly has ruck craft which we have missed since trading sauce

CCJ would be the main ruckman in that combo, but agree totally with thilthorpe being the 70/80% forward who chops out. CCJ is good around the ground in the air and at ground level and can definitely clunk them when up forward which we lack but more importantly has ruck craft which we have missed since trading sauce
Has CCJs kicking improved? Very awkward kicking action?

Watched sturt today and a guy who was dominant for sturt and the league last year in ruck, fahey-sparks, was very strong up forward today for sturt. Kicking a bit awry but gee did he clunk some big pack and contested marks. He is early 20's but he could well be worth a rookie spot moving forward.

Strategic coach Rob Harding leaves Crows to go home and join Essendon
Andrew Capel, The Advertiser October 24, 2016 5:26pm

Interesting timing to his departure, left about a month after Noble did and about 1-2 weeks before Burton was elevated to chief of football ops.

Read the tea leaves?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting timing to his departure, left about a month after Noble did and about 1-2 weeks before Burton was elevated to chief of football ops.

Read the tea leaves?
I read it as Worsfold approaching him who was working with us just prior to taking the Essendon gig and given he was originally from Victoria was eager at the chance to be with a "big" Victorian club.

The action itself hasn’t changed too much but seems much smoother, He’s able to put through the big sticks and hit a target by foot. CCJ is a hell of a lot less awkward and tin man like than what big ROB currently is for us and ruck work is far superior over ROBs IMO

I read it as Worsfold approaching him who was working with us just prior to taking the Essendon gig and given he was originally from Victoria was eager at the chance to be with a "big" Victorian club.

Perhaps, but is that the same as how Poulos “jumping” at the chance to work with Rugby 7’s just happened to coincide with Burton being named as High Performance manager over him?

I suppose Francou actually wanted to return to teaching too?

Teague couldn’t resist the lure back to Carlton, to work under Brendan Bolton no less.

For every single half decent player/staff member who has left the club in the past 5 years seems there seems to be a perfectly good reason as to why it had nothing to do with the club. Yet they just kept/keep leaving. It’s them, not us...

He left a full year after Worsefold started at Essendon. Perhaps Worsefold was only able to prize him out because of the changes that were about to happen/had happened at our football club?

I don’t know Harding’s specific story, maybe the “official line” is true, but I do know that there were big changes to largely “behind the scenes” support staff when Burton came in. Some jumped, others were pushed as a part of a restructure.

Perhaps, but is that the same as how Poulos “jumping” at the chance to work with Rugby 7’s just happened to coincide with Burton being named as High Performance manager over him?

Teague couldn’t resist the lure back to Carlton, to work under Brendan Bolton no less.

For every single half decent player/staff member who has left the club in the past 5 years seems there seems to be a perfectly good reason as to why it had nothing to do with the club. Yet they just kept/keep leaving. It’s them, not us...

He left a full year after Worsefold started at Essendon. Perhaps Worsefold was only able to prize him out because of the changes that were about to happen/had happened at our football club?

I don’t know Harding’s specific story, maybe the “official line” is true, but I do know that there were big changes to largely “behind the scenes” support staff when Burton came in. Some jumped, others were pushed as a part of a restructure.
Hadn't teague lost a child?. I recall there was a very valid family reason for him moving

Harding is married to Katrina Gill who used to work in our media department. She got a job in Melbourne, so he went with her and Worsfold hired him after his time here.

He left the Bombers at the end of last year anyway, he's an assistant coach with the Vic Metro side now. Not sure why the switch or if he left the Bombers because he wanted to get into coaching or if he was let go.

Harding is married to Katrina Gill who used to work in our media department. She got a job in Melbourne, so he went with her and Worsfold hired him after his time here.

He left the Bombers at the end of last year anyway, he's an assistant coach with the Vic Metro side now. Not sure why the switch or if he left the Bombers because he wanted to get into coaching or if he was let go.
Isn’t she our AFLW list manager?

Hadn't teague lost a child?. I recall there was a very valid family reason for him moving
There was an article about it a long time back. Teague basically stated that that the club didn't even offer him a new contract and made no effort to keep him when he mentioned other offers.

For all we know he could've been heading out the door regardless, and possibly for reasons that included the loss of their baby.

So why leave? AFL radio put this question to the now former Crows assistant coach David Teague. Teague is returning home for family reasons to Melbourne. He has taken up a position with the Carlton Blues.

To the why leave question, Teague said “It is an interesting one because they get along well, they care for each other and what the group’s been through together has been quite phenomenal. Yet players continue to leave. I haven’t been able to put my finger on it.”

And therein lies a big part of the problem. Just like Teague, many Crows were not born in Adelaide. They were not bred in Adelaide. They have no family ties to Adelaide. Eventually after a few years, they have advanced their skills and experience as a player, done their time and they desire to return home. Add to this the fortunes to now be had in the AFL, and the decision to move is an easy one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back