2020 trade targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Slightly digressing I know, but have a gut feel that if Doedee has a good comeback year, Geelong are going to come hard for him. Will want him as their Taylor replacement.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cats may well be interested in Doedee but not to replace a KPD in Taylor as they are different types.

The Club has been clear with its list strategy, 2019 and 2020 is all in for the draft

In 2020 we wont be active in bringing players through the door via the trade period

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
This may be likely, but we shouldn't be categorically ruling out trading in young talent that meets a need.

Should be considering all options.

You can't ignore trades, especially young talent that wants to come home. Port ignored Scott Thompson initially and missed out, we ignored Pavlich and missed out.

I agree that we shouldn't necessarily be targeting a "big fish" 25-29 year old, however we should still be pushing hard for 23yo and younger talent that may be interested in coming home. Especially talents players starved for opportunity. Hateley's potentially one, Coleman-Jones another.

Unfortunately our club being a complete and utter mess played a significant part on potentially missing out on Aaron Francis and Bailey Williams whom would have been strong pick ups in this mold. Fantasia was never going to be worth the cost and Grundy is a relative pipe dream.

You can't ignore trades, especially young talent that wants to come home. Port ignored Scott Thompson initially and missed out, we ignored Pavlich and missed out.

I agree that we shouldn't necessarily be targeting a "big fish" 25-29 year old, however we should still be pushing hard for 23yo and younger talent that may be interested in coming home. Especially talents players starved for opportunity. Hateley's potentially one, Coleman-Jones another.

Unfortunately our club being a complete and utter mess played a significant part on potentially missing out on Aaron Francis and Bailey Williams whom would have been strong pick ups in this mold. Fantasia was never going to be worth the cost and Grundy is a relative pipe dream.
Yep, if there’s gettable established young talent it would be madness to not go for it in the hope the draftees you pick up make it.

A 188cm 3rd tall to replace a 195cm KPD when they have just drafted KPD Sam De Koning and have taller options in Mark Blicavs, Jack Henry, Tom Stewart. Jake Kolodjashnij, Mark O'Connor and Lachie Henderson all taller than Doedee? I'm not seeing the Cats being that keen personally.

Me neither. Unless we move Doedee to the midfield and he takes, he's at no risk of leaving. Mid sized defender who is already paid well would mean clubs will just steer clear, by virtue of costing too much for too little gain.

Just like the last 20 years?

We need to target some good young players from other clubs. If it means we trade a 1st for a JDG for example, go for it
All Day Everyday, that's killing 2 birds by getting a player like De Goey(in our dreams). You always draft the best player available as in who will be the better player, you only draft for fit when those players are pretty equal. when trading for player or getting them as FA's you go for need and evereyone needs a De Goey type player. Plus he would be 25ish.

Ok, so we didn't get anyone across the line in 2019 and with Grundy off the market, who are we targeting to come to the crows in 2020?

A top line, fast, goal kicking mid would be nice.

How much $ did we free up for them?
This is what the team needs or a High impact, Highly skilled mid. one or the other by a mile both would be even better, hopefully the Crows have one in the wings.

I'd say there would be stuff all to go spend given all the coaching payouts and the senior player contracts. Given the Crows had $900k for Tippet and never used that, then $800k+ for Danger and never used it, payed Gov $600k and had $600k for Leaver, traded out Leaver for Gibbs but then traded Charlie Cameron, Gov, Jenkins and Eddie out as well. It's hard to know who or what the Crows spend the salary cap on. You would think the Crows would have either spent $1mill on getting a Star Mid from another team or they have that much going forward.

I think the Crows also pay the Scrub/Average at best interstate player overs all the time. I'd say Rat, Kelly and Brain Fartigan are on 20% more than they should be. Mackay and Douglas have been over payed more than anyone outside of Tippet but Tippet was the worst and most obvious case of overpaying so they stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should've picked him up when we had the chance.. Kid is a beaut.

I personally wouldn't be picking Hately over Jones.

Jones will be a bonafide star if he puts it together, and there are good signs that he'll manage to do that so far.

I personally wouldn't be picking Hately over Jones.

Jones will be a bonafide star if he puts it together, and there are good signs that he'll manage to do that so far.

Agree; I’m totally open to trading in Hately but we need Jones’ serious pace in our midfield. He’s gonna be a beauty when he gets comfortable at AFL level.

A 188cm 3rd tall to replace a 195cm KPD when they have just drafted KPD Sam De Koning and have taller options in Mark Blicavs, Jack Henry, Tom Stewart. Jake Kolodjashnij, Mark O'Connor and Lachie Henderson all taller than Doedee? I'm not seeing the Cats being that keen personally.
About 6 other vic clubs will be though

Don’t think it will matter as I think he will be captain within 3 yrs . I more fear another ACL and another Andy Otten like career with so much promise cruelled in some part by injury

Please no

I’d love to get Perryman. Contest winner, skilful, team player.

Could be under valued at GWS because they already have Taranto Hopper Ward Coniglio Kelly with Green coming through. Caldwell. O’Halloran. Hateley. Can’t keep them all.
Totally agree with this , he’d be the guy I’d go for, has a level or 2 to jump with more prime roles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back