List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any big 200cm backman that just got delisted by a club this year?
I always worry that we are way too short in defense and need a big tall guy. More than happy to take a McKenzie type that has been delisted by a crap club... because put them in a good club with great culture and they may blossom.
Wouldn't trade for this type of player unless they are the best of the best... rather pick up a young 'raw' talent with some AFL experience and develop over the next year of so.

So, I dont know how solid this is but it came from the mouth of a family member who was sitting with this bloke all night watching the Port v Geelong game.

Isaac Rankin was at the Alberton hotel on Thursday night watching the game with what i assume was family. After the game when i noticed he had left i asked the bar staff if they knew that was Isaac Rankin at that table. They said yes and one of the people he was with overheard me and said it was him. I said i hoped to see him around these parts more often and the person said he will be at the end of next year. I said i thought he was a crows supporter and he said yeah but he doesn't want to play for them. I said i hope you're right cos I'd love to see him play with Butters and Rozee.

And then i got my beer and went for a smoke

Things change, but, my nephews are good mates with him and told him he should come to Port, he said "* Port". They reckon he is no chance at all.

Edit: I reckon Luko could be a chance at some stage though

We dont need to trade in a big KPD. Id look at drafting one though

Sort of agree.

Yes we do “need” a big key defender. But said key defender would have to be a gun, and we just aren’t going to land that guy.

There’s been some massive underrating of how good Jonas clurey and McKenzie have been this year. We’re not upgrading any of those guys unless we’re bringing in a current all-Aus level player and that isn’t happening.

We don’t need a middling middle of the road average or poor key defender clogging up the list when ken and Monty have made it clear they prefer smaller mobile guys anyway.

I also think they have big wraps on pasini.

I would love for them to draft a young key defender in this draft if possible.

Sort of agree.

Yes we do “need” a big key defender. But said key defender would have to be a gun, and we just aren’t going to land that guy.

There’s been some massive underrating of how good Jonas clurey and McKenzie have been this year. We’re not upgrading any of those guys unless we’re bringing in a current all-Aus level player and that isn’t happening.

We don’t need a middling middle of the road average or poor key defender clogging up the list when ken and Monty have made it clear they prefer smaller mobile guys anyway.

I also think they have big wraps on pasini.

I would love for them to draft a young key defender in this draft if possible.

So will Pasini play games in 2021 if injury occurs, or will we need some delisted old fella as cover?

I think they thought Watts would still be around...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d question our need for a tall defender next year. The game format next year is still shorter quarters and high rotations?
As a rule tall forwards are just getting mugged by numbers being able to get back?
The idea of developing a player for when normal returns in a couple of years holds more appeal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Negotiations with the AFLPA, or is Hutchie still battling to get sponsors on board for Trade Radio? ;)

Complications could lead to trade period delay

The AFL’s trade and free agency period could be delayed.

The league met with all 18 clubs on September 8 to tell them this year’s exchange window would open with an October 30-November 6 free agency period, followed by a November 4-November 12 trade block.

But the complications of determining list sizes and a salary cap – currently the subject of negotiations with the AFL and the AFL Players’ Association – could delay the highly-anticipated player swap period.

Clubs are finding it increasingly difficult to make concrete decisions on trade targets and delistings, given they are yet to be given certainty on what lists will look like next year.

It’s understood any delay to the trade period would not be significant and would most likely still occur at some stage in November.

The AFL last month made it clear there will be no pre-season training at all 18 clubs before November 30.

We dont need to trade in a big KPD. Id look at drafting one though

How did you come to that conclusion?

If we pick one up via this year's draft, it's a forgone conclusion that they'll be drafted very late and thus likely to be a project. Given that all draftees need time to develop their bodies, it's not unrealistic to think that such a player wouldn't even be close to being ready to play on the Hawkins' of the AFL for 2 years minimum. Realistically we need a KPD to be a plug and play guy from round 1 next year. That's the biggest hole in our team. Team defence allows us to get by but having a plug and play KPD from round 1 next year allows us to be so much more dynamic and versatile in the way we attack the footy up the field.

That's not to say we shouldn't draft one. We should imo, but i would still go down both pathways (draft and trade or FA) to get a ready made KPD.

You get the vibe In about a year Port have high hopes for him.
playing KPD is pretty much one of the easiest positions to play from a skills point of view, the thing that seperates the good players from the bad ones is playing with relentless pressure and mongrel. If you havnt got it you wont make it.

Lewis Young from the dogs SA lad

• Key Defender
  • 21yrs
  • 197cm
  • 96kg
contracted 2021 could be a cheap back up option although never seen him play only 7 career games

Loves an intercept too, so could replace Dougal's height without any concerns about fitting into our system.

Lewis Young from the dogs SA lad

• Key Defender
  • 21yrs
  • 197cm
  • 96kg
contracted 2021 could be a cheap back up option although never seen him play only 7 career games
Lewis Young looked like he was going to be a mega star when he debuted at 18. I remember him clunking a heap of contested intercept marks like he was Harris Andrews to finish his debut season but he hasn’t gone on with it at all since then. Last I saw he was playing a fairly anonymous role as a key forward.

There is probably upside in getting any young key position player away from Luke Beverage.

Lewis Young looked like he was going to be a mega star when he debuted at 18. I remember him clunking a heap of contested intercept marks like he was Harris Andrews to finish his debut season but he hasn’t gone on with it at all since then. Last I saw he was playing a fairly anonymous role as a key forward.

There is probably upside in getting any young key position player away from Luke Beverage.
They don't have a good rep for developing key talls that's for sure

Things change, but, my nephews are good mates with him and told him he should come to Port, he said "fu** Port". They reckon he is no chance at all.

Edit: I reckon Luko could be a chance at some stage though

I mean assuming your nephews are Port fans this could just be good banter.

I'm not reading much in to any of this, I reckon if I was at Gold Coast right now I'd want to stay there.

I mean assuming your nephews are Port fans this could just be good banter.

I'm not reading much in to any of this, I reckon if I was at Gold Coast right now I'd want to stay there.

Even with Rory Atkins arriving? :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back