List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Targets

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

So it looks like a 42 man list next session. This could be 38 on the main list with 4 cat A rookies through to 40 on main list and 2 cat A rookies (advantage being that rookies can play senior football but not count towards the salary cap). And a further 2 Cat B rookies rookies outside the list (Patmore and Freddricks currently Port's Cat B rookies).

Given that Atley, Grundy, Cox and Buzza have already been delisted, with Westhoff and Watts retiring that puts Port's list at 37 players (excluding B rookies) prior to the draft. Given that Jones and Taj are locks and I can see at least 1-2 more players coming from the draft (likely a project KPD), I can't any trades happening for players this year.

Any trades for a player will mean that another player would have to drop off the list (delisted or traded), but I'm not sure who Port will let go in order to bring in an A-grade player. Sutcliffe or Mayes are likely candidates to retire/be delisted but both have proven to be good depth players this season. Bonner and Lienert may become trade currency but I think think Port should keep both. Unless a left field trade requested (ie Wines), I can't see Port being a big player in this years trade period.

Unless I missed his delisting and re-drafting on the rookie list (and I don’t think I did) Patmore is on the main list.

He’s also been sent home already and I was given the impression he will be delisted. Doesn’t have a contract for 2021.

I’ll be surprised if Frederick gets another year too.

Why would mayes be going anywhere? Was a solid option this year and is nowhere near retirement age.

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

So it looks like a 42 man list next session. This could be 38 on the main list with 4 cat A rookies through to 40 on main list and 2 cat A rookies (advantage being that rookies can play senior football but not count towards the salary cap). And a further 2 Cat B rookies rookies outside the list (Patmore and Freddricks currently Port's Cat B rookies).

Given that Atley, Grundy, Cox and Buzza have already been delisted, with Westhoff and Watts retiring that puts Port's list at 37 players (excluding B rookies) prior to the draft. Given that Jones and Taj are locks and I can see at least 1-2 more players coming from the draft (likely a project KPD), I can't any trades happening for players this year.

Any trades for a player will mean that another player would have to drop off the list (delisted or traded), but I'm not sure who Port will let go in order to bring in an A-grade player. Sutcliffe or Mayes are likely candidates to retire/be delisted but both have proven to be good depth players this season. Bonner and Lienert may become trade currency but I think think Port should keep both. Unless a left field trade requested (ie Wines), I can't see Port being a big player in this years trade period.

i cant see bonner staying and has some value for us also. Could also see Garner wanting more game time.
Plus by doing well this year we are in the lucky spot of giving our players, even fringe players a bit more perceived value

Buget

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unless I missed his delisting and re-drafting on the rookie list (and I don’t think I did) Patmore is on the main list.

He’s also been sent home already and I was given the impression he will be delisted. Doesn’t have a contract for 2021.

I’ll be surprised if Frederick gets another year too.

Why would mayes be going anywhere? Was a solid option this year and is nowhere near retirement age.

I assumed Patmore was a rookie judging the way Port wrote the press release announcing that he wouldn’t be considered for selection. Happy to be wrong, but I don’t think he will get another contract.

Mayes is an interesting one. Offers good depth, but on a smaller list a development player may be a better choice. Port were also pretty fortunate with injuries this year so maybe he didn’t get the extend chance in the 22 he probably deserved.

Port said they are going to wait and see the ruling on rookie list and Cat B before making a decision on Patmore and Frederick.

I took that to mean Patmore might be delisted and rookied. Frederick could be in trouble if Cat B goes.

all seeing eye

exquirentibus veritatem
Nov 26, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Parfitt isn’t remotely close to Merritt. The question marks over Merritt aren’t his ability anyway.

Also you’re arguing that parfitt is an improvement on guys that barely played this season lol. We should be well above trying to improve the 25-30 portion of our list.

As I said, parfitt may break out next year, but I don’t want to be the team that overpays geelong to find out.

Bit worried that we may take our eye of the longer term picture of continual improvement in the list. Seems like others around us in the 8 are looking to recruit players of quality to improve their depth and starting 22. ie Daniher to Brisbane, Taranto/Caldwell to St Kilda , Crouch to Richmond/Geelong etc

Hopefully things are happening in the background and CD is keeping things under wraps. (Cameron to Port!!!)

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Crouch fits Port Adelaide’s needs – and vice versa

Before the drug bust it was already tougher for Crouch to remain a Crow while Port Adelaide had a four-year deal worth $2.6 million (average $500,000 a season) to put on the bidding table. This will fall to $2 million now.

Port Adelaide’s list-management strategy is heavily aligned to working the free agency market that – without having to haggle with draft picks – has brought West Coast premiership ruckman Scott Lycett, former Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff, Geelong midfielder-forward Steven Motlop and Richmond wingman Matt White to Alberton since free agency began in 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thought I’d put some teams down, helps to visualise the list:

We actually have quite a few old blokes to replace in the next 3-5 years that are in our best current 22.

Dixon, Boak, Rockliff, Ebert, Hartlett, McKenzie, Jonas, Motlop, Lycett, Gray

best 22 for the younger players looks like this. I’ve excluded anyone I’m not sure about yet.

F: ? Marshall. ?
HF: Rozee Georgiades Butters
C: Duursma Wines Amon
HB: DBJ ? Houston
B: Burton. Clurey. ?

R: Ladhams SPP. ?

You’d like to think first rounders would make the team: so Jones and Bergman are in.

You’d also hope that there are a few of your other picks that improve/can get in: Williams, Farell, Hayes, Bonner, Drew, Mead, Woodcock, Lienert, Mead, Pasini, Burgoyne

In 3/5 years after Jones, you hope we use 3 First round picks (or they could be a traded player in) and some of our better players transfer into the midfield.

Team could look like 2025:

Williams Marshall. Ladhams
HF: Woodcock. Georgiades Butters
C: Duursma Wines Amon
HB: DBJ 1Pick. Houston
B: Burton. Clurey. Jones

R: Hayes SPP. Rozee

I: Bergman 1 Pick. 1Pick Drew

E: Mead, Schofield, ? ?

The only other way to improve this team is via free agency, and it will create more competition for spots. If a Crouch came in, and he ends up not being best 22 by 2025 - that is actually ok.

This shows Bonner, Drew, Lienert are tradeable but also provide needed depth

List is actually looking really good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
CLUBS are preparing for a small trim to playing list sizes for next season ahead of potential further cuts in the following years.

Negotiations are still ongoing between the AFL and AFL Players' Association, but it's looking increasingly likely there will be 42 players on lists in 2021, plus up to two Category B rookies.

It's believed AFLPA representatives started discussing this possibility with players from across the competition last week.

The composition would range from 38 footballers on the primary list and four Category A rookies – who can play at senior level, but their wage doesn't count in the salary cap – to 40 and two.

That combination will probably be left to individual clubs to decide, as is the case in the current set-up.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Crouch fits Port Adelaide’s needs – and vice versa

Before the drug bust it was already tougher for Crouch to remain a Crow while Port Adelaide had a four-year deal worth $2.6 million (average $500,000 a season) to put on the bidding table. This will fall to $2 million now.

Port Adelaide’s list-management strategy is heavily aligned to working the free agency market that – without having to haggle with draft picks – has brought West Coast premiership ruckman Scott Lycett, former Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff, Geelong midfielder-forward Steven Motlop and Richmond wingman Matt White to Alberton since free agency began in 2012.

Well I learnt something from that article - Darryl Wakelin was once a Crow!

So far, the only Crows-listed players to make it to Port Adelaide’s AFL squad are four Port Adelaide originals – Magarey Medallist Scott Hodges, ruckman Brett Chalmers, rover David Brown and full back Darryl Wakelin, via St Kilda.

After in the inaugural Adelaide squad was formed in 1990, Wakelin was the first Port Adelaide player drafted from Alberton to the Crows when he was called at pick No.11 in the 1993 AFL pre-season draft.

“I had interest from Carlton and St Kilda where (twin brother Shane) was and I told the Crows to respect my wishes by letting me go to Melbourne,” Wakelin told InDaily. “I wanted to go to St Kilda to be with my brother.”

Wakelin was granted this wish after Adelaide delisted him at the end of the 1994 season in which he won the Jack Oatey Medal as best-afield in Port Adelaide’s SANFL grand final triumph before moving to St Kilda in 1995.

“It was always uncomfortable at the Crows,” Wakelin recalled. “No-one spoke to you (if you were from Port Adelaide that was bidding to be Adelaide’s in-town AFL rival).

“(Coach) Graham Cornes spoke to me just twice – when I arrived, asking about my Teal Cup experiences (as a junior), and when he called me to delist me.”

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
“(Coach) Graham Cornes spoke to me just twice – when I arrived, asking about my Teal Cup experiences (as a junior), and when he called me to delist me.”
We have so much to be thankful to Graham Cornes for, for establishing the shitcampaigner culture at the corporation.

Imagine drafting a kid then refusing to talk to him for a whole year because he's from the wharfie ferals. What a campaigner

Well I learnt something from that article - Darryl Wakelin was once a Crow!

So far, the only Crows-listed players to make it to Port Adelaide’s AFL squad are four Port Adelaide originals – Magarey Medallist Scott Hodges, ruckman Brett Chalmers, rover David Brown and full back Darryl Wakelin, via St Kilda.

After in the inaugural Adelaide squad was formed in 1990, Wakelin was the first Port Adelaide player drafted from Alberton to the Crows when he was called at pick No.11 in the 1993 AFL pre-season draft.

“I had interest from Carlton and St Kilda where (twin brother Shane) was and I told the Crows to respect my wishes by letting me go to Melbourne,” Wakelin told InDaily. “I wanted to go to St Kilda to be with my brother.”

Wakelin was granted this wish after Adelaide delisted him at the end of the 1994 season in which he won the Jack Oatey Medal as best-afield in Port Adelaide’s SANFL grand final triumph before moving to St Kilda in 1995.

“It was always uncomfortable at the Crows,” Wakelin recalled. “No-one spoke to you (if you were from Port Adelaide that was bidding to be Adelaide’s in-town AFL rival).

Meanwhile Cornes tried to create legends out of guys like Mark Viska.

Would like us to chase Sexton, way underrated. Doubt GC would let him go for anything less than a stupid offer.

Hungriest player in front of goal in the AFL. Pass.

Jan 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So, I dont know how solid this is but it came from the mouth of a family member who was sitting with this bloke all night watching the Port v Geelong game.

Isaac Rankin was at the Alberton hotel on Thursday night watching the game with what i assume was family. After the game when i noticed he had left i asked the bar staff if they knew that was Isaac Rankin at that table. They said yes and one of the people he was with overheard me and said it was him. I said i hoped to see him around these parts more often and the person said he will be at the end of next year. I said i thought he was a crows supporter and he said yeah but he doesn't want to play for them. I said i hope you're right cos I'd love to see him play with Butters and Rozee.

And then i got my beer and went for a smoke

Dalfino

#BringBackTheBars
May 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
So, I dont know how solid this is but it came from the mouth of a family member who was sitting with this bloke all night watching the Port v Geelong game.

Isaac Rankin was at the Alberton hotel on Thursday night watching the game with what i assume was family. After the game when i noticed he had left i asked the bar staff if they knew that was Isaac Rankin at that table. They said yes and one of the people he was with overheard me and said it was him. I said i hoped to see him around these parts more often and the person said he will be at the end of next year. I said i thought he was a crows supporter and he said yeah but he doesn't want to play for them. I said i hope you're right cos I'd love to see him play with Butters and Rozee.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda

Yeah. Nah.
A Crows supporter - but won't play with them?
Sounds suss.
If they change their culture next year and start to rise up again he could be swayed back you'd reckon.
Believe it when I see it.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’s well known that rankine wasn’t a crows fan, he was an Eddie Betts fan. He’s soured on the crows. They’ve got a fair uphill battle to win him back. If he decides to come home port have a great chance.

Having said that if gcs are playing finals and he’s happy up there I’m doubtful we will be able to pull him away. It’s a pipe dream until proven otherwise.

Back