List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He really isn't that much better than Hill and Billings, so spending the money on a mirco improvement on the wings while not addressing our main issue of an inside mid doesnt seem the most productive thing to do this off season.
I'm all aboard if we can land an elite inside mid, but I can't see much in the FA pool, it doesn't sound like we are in the market for Crouch.

If we had a player good enough to replace Billings on a wing then he could go forward and replace a Kent / Lonie type… then we are a better side.

We paid 4 picks and Acres for Hill so I'd be pretty happy for us to take another similar quality (probably better) player for nothing.

He really isn't that much better than Hill and Billings, so spending the money on a mirco improvement on the wings while not addressing our main issue of an inside mid doesnt seem the most productive thing to do this off season.
Where did the poster say that we weren't going to address our need for an inside mid??
Starting arguments again BT??

That not quite true W2L.
I was generalizing, but you're only looking at one side of the coin.
The increased odds of snagging talent with a later pick is probably offset by the increased odds of picking a dud.

There seems to be a reasonably firm talent line this year going by the draft gurus, bookmarked by Archie Perkins at 11-13 .
Once you pass 13 odd, you drop into the next pool. That's my read anyway.

Best to forget about our first pick this year and just put it to best use elsewhere. I'b be happy to see a pick 25-30, and our last pick, currently 73 will come in a long long way and probably land in the 50's come draft time. Take one rookie and job done.

I'm far more bullish for a bigger draft intake next year, and I'd like to see the club try and stocks in the first two rounds of 2021. Though I don't know how we'll do that if we want to be aggressive this trade period..

If you had pick 1 under your scenario, you still wouldn't get any of those players.
If there are 10 Academy players and 3 elite players not tied to a club. Those players could go anywhere up to thirteenth.

But depending on the draft order some teams can get a double dip.

If, for simplicity we assume that all the teams want their academy and f/s picks, and prefer the players in the order Knightmare picks them.

Pick 1 : Dogs . Ugle Hagen - Matched bid Crows. ( Effectively 12 picks earlier ).
Pick 2: Crows. McDonald.
Pick 3: North. Phillips.
Pick 4: Hawks. Hollands
Pick 5 : Sydney. Bruhn
Pick 6: Essendon. Thilthorp
Pick 7 : Sydney. Campbell - Matched bid by GC. - Use 2nd round pick.
Pick 8 : Magpies. McInnes, - Matched bid by GC. ( - Effectively 7 picks earlier ).
Pick 9: Suns : MacRae.
Pick 10: Port Jones. ( match Carlton bid ) Port traded their first round pick to the Lions, so they only need to use their second round pick.
Pick 11 Carlton Perkins.
Pick 12: Fremantle. Chapman
Pick 13: Crows ( GWS) Poulter .
Pick 14: North ( Melbourne ). O'Driscoll
Pick 15: Cats ( GC Priority ). Grainger-Barras
Pick 16 : Saints. ---Powell
Pick 17 : Geelong ( West Coast ). Callow.
Pick 18 : Geelong : Ginnivan
Pick 19 : Tigers : Berry
Pick 20 Gold Coast Davies ( matched bid Lions ).
Pick 21 : Lions some spud.
Pick 22 : Lions ( Port ) Take some spudl.

SO:
Because no-one has bid on Campbell before their first pick, Sydney get to use their pick 4 on Bruhn and get to take Campbell with their second. ( plus that points matching bullshit with later picks ). Sydney effectively get 2 first round picks.
Gold Coast , the same but to a lesser extent.

Port pick up a first rounder for a second round pick, because they previously traded their first.

Then there is trading that can happen.
Bulldogs don't have a second round pick. If for example, the Saints offered a future 1st rounder, or Luke Dunstan for their pick 13. They would still get Ugle-Hagen, basically using third round picks and later. They essentially would get a pick to trade for free. ( the gift just keeps coming ).
So because of a randomly allocated "zone" a team in the top 8 can get the best player in the draft AND get an extra draft pick.

If the Swans traded their second out, they could also get their first round player with a third round pick .
idiotic system to reward random teams.
Only under Gil's watch.

Last edited:
The problem of winning games?

He's a better wingman than Hill and Billings… has barely missed a game in 10 years.

At worst he could replace Phillips on the list and then we have an extra AFL level player on hand.

Weren't you telling us that Hanners 3 million for 4 years whilst not even playing isn't a problem?

So which of billings smith or hill is going to play magoos like phillips does most weeks?

Hanners money only stops us from doing dumb things like having guys on 500k-800k a year playing VFL as gold plated backup options

We're probably paying kent 400k a year and what would smith cost? 500k?

900k for 1 half forward in your AFL team is a massive waste.
I doubt Kent is on that.

Every club would have players on an average AFL wage playing VFL.

I don't think Smith would cost a lot. If it was only money he was after than you just bother. But I think having Ratten and Roughy here and offering him a mentoring role at a young club that is clearly on the way up would be enticing.

We are obviously lacking on field leadership and we are too inexperienced to win close games. I doubt Geary is best 22 next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PpzpbfC.jpg

Ahern is the only one I’d go near with a 10 foot pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmmmm

Can he get fit?

Only 24. Heaps of talent. Could be worth a punt.

So which of billings smith or hill is going to play magoos like phillips does most weeks?

Hanners money only stops us from doing dumb things like having guys on 500k-800k a year playing VFL as gold plated backup options
Dumb things like taking a triple premiership free agent midfielder who has barely missed a game in a decade. Thanks Lethers :thumbsu:

Having three A grade wingmen wouldn't be the worst situation, particularly with Billings ability to go forward and in to the middle.

Smith could replace any of - Geary, Long, Kent, Lonie, Sinclair, Ross in our current 22 and we're a better side immediately.

11 cuts from North tells me one thing. AFL clubs have already been told list sizes from next year, and its going to be a pretty big cut. How else could they be making such significant decisions.

Think we better strap in for a few unpopular decisions this offseason. Looks like we will be losing a few ...
You could cull a dozen or so off our list and no-one would blink…

Mayo, Langlands, Alabakis, Marsh, Bell, Joyce, Clavarino, McKenzie, Phillips, Webster, Abbott, Austin, Brown, Roberton, Savage

You could cull a dozen or so off our list and no-one would blink…

Mayo, Langlands, Alabakis, Marsh, Bell, Joyce, Clavarino, McKenzie, Phillips, Webster, Abbott, Austin, Brown, Roberton, Savage

Seriously though, I hope we keep Robbo for another year, even if he is the last player on the list. If there is any chance he can play again he should be with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back