List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other way around. Essendon loading up for Jez.

With Cameron gone, Daniher is the immediate replacement for GWS.
Except from all reports, Cameron loves living in Sydney and enjoys living a lifestyle that doesnt involve being hounded by the media all the time. Why would he jump off a good team getting large amount to go to a basket case to get large money?

And even then. GWS have a lot of salary cap issues. How could they afford Daniher? And they still have Himmelberg and Finlayson up forward as options and will get some high draft picks from trades this season in a draft where the majority of the first round will be key position players.

In all likelihood, Cameron isn't leaving. He will sign once the salary cap for next season gets worked out.

I’m not sure. We may have. But I covered that earlier. When you are a bottom 6 side than good players can help you improve But when you are a top 8 side you need very good to star players to help you take the final step. Splitting picks will only get goodish players at best. Secondly I was more talking about the draft anyway. Thirdly I’m unsure we did split picks. We may have but I thought it was more trading players for 2 picks. That is a bit different than making pick 9 pick 22 and 23
We split our top ten pick with GWS for two later firsts.
Not always a disaster, however if you are 'challenging' from a top eight position I would agree with your argument.

Therefore 2019, splitting picks good move, 2020, maybe not as strategic.

You feel it’s unlikely we’re in for Crouch or Williams if we haven’t been linked to them at all. I mean with the amount of players we’ve been linked to over the last few years.

I like what Williams can do but I think we need bigger more consistent guys in the middle. Very hard to find those who can also actually use it.

If Jake goes, I think we will be doing some real business this trade period, otherwise I think it looks minimal.

We might have learnt not to play it out in the media. You ruin your bargaining position that way.

Not always a disaster, however if you are 'challenging' from a top eight position I would agree with your argument.

Splitting picks worked last year because we had no intention of taking them to the draft.

But splitting picks for an average players and a later pick to take to the draft hasn't worked before and isn't something we should be doing.

I’m not sure. We may have. But I covered that earlier. When you are a bottom 6 side than good players can help you improve But when you are a top 8 side you need very good to star players to help you take the final step. Splitting picks will only get goodish players at best. Secondly I was more talking about the draft anyway. Thirdly I’m unsure we did split picks. We may have but I thought it was more trading players for 2 picks. That is a bit different than making pick 9 pick 22 and 23

Agree Serong and Young look like stars and went after our pick 6. Howard, Hill and what ever else we got, all look good enough but if we are being honest we just replaced Newnes and Carlisle with slight upgrades. You can't assess that trade until we see long term where our guys go compared to the kids we were into.

Splitting picks worked last year because we had no intention of taking them to the draft.

But splitting picks for an average players and a later pick to take to the draft hasn't worked before and isn't something we should be doing.

Splitting picks means you don't trust you recruiters. Quantity over quality hasn't really worked for us.

Why would the Giants go after Dainher?

Cameron is a far better player than him, and the only way to get Daniher would be to let Cameron go?

If you could get Joe like he was before injury he's one of the best forwards of his generation. Cameron is too but he's lower profile. Selling a Ferrari to buy a Ferrari with broken engine doesn't make sense though.

Agree Serong and Young look like stars and went after our pick 6. Howard, Hill and what ever else we got, all look good enough but if we are being honest we just replaced Newnes and Carlisle with slight upgrades. You can't assess that trade until we see long term where our guys go compared to the kids we were into.
Except we didnt want more kids on the list. It doesn't matter who our original draft picks ended up being in the long run and will have no bearing on whether our trades are deemed successful or not.

We wanted players who would improve us immediately and the success of the trades will be determined by whether those players have instantly made us a better side. And by all metrics, they have.

[/QUOTE]
Hill is infinitely better than Newnes and a slight upgrade on Carlisle Is bloody awesome I would've thought given Carlisle is a quality player

Splitting picks means you don't trust you recruiters. Quantity over quality hasn't really worked for us.

It depends on the draft as well.
If it was 2001, and you swapped your pick 2 for Geelong's 8 and 17, you could get Bartel and Kelly and feel pretty happy even if Geelong did get Chris Judd.

Wrong thread l know.
Maybe it's already been posted but l don't remember.
Thanks eD :thumbsu:
I get why the Northern academies exist to help develop kids that would otherwise be playing other sports, but when clubs use it to get kids like Nick Blakley or Tom Green who come from AFL families and were always going to be playing the sport, it still makes a mockery of that system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Making finals means our pick will be at 11+

Going on worst case scenario, if we do land pick 11 then we'll cop this:
.Geelong acquired GC 2020 priority pick (11)
(Saints pick moves to 12)

.Bid placed on JUH in the top 5
(Saints pick moves to 13)

.Bid placed on Sydney NGA Brydon Campbell in top 10
(Saints pick moves to 14)

.Possible bid on Freo NGA player, consciousness seems to be around 10-15.
(Saints pick moves to 15)

My personal opinion based on SFA, is that aside from the NGA players, quality seems to markedly drop after pick 10.

If we can split our pick for the likes of Caldwell and change then it's a no brainer imo..

Last edited:
I get why the Northern academies exist to help develop kids that would otherwise be playing other sports, but when clubs use it to get kids like Nick Blakley or Tom Green who come from AFL families and were always going to be playing the sport, it still makes a mockery of that system.

Geeesus, let them play other sports!! We're not the Hitler Youth ffs

Any thoughts on Stuart Broad from the Tigers. He's out of contract and out of favour. Would be a great Geary replacement. Great in the air and on the ground.

Any thoughts on Stuart Broad from the Tigers. He's out of contract and out of favour. Would be a great Geary replacement. Great in the air and on the ground.
He strikes me as someone who benefits from being in a good system, rather than being a major addition to that system. He's a solid defender but I don't think his role is a major need of ours. He's more of a Wilkie, Roberton, Coffield type than he is a KPD or a small lockdown type in Geary or Paton. He doesn't fill the void of a key back if Carlisle leaves. I'd look elsewhere.

He’s very good in the Richmond set up but he’s no individual gun.

Pretty good defensively but not the best kick, watch him a lot run it out of defender after a switch but not have the confidence or ability to hit a long target and virtually goes sideways again to the boundary with a 15m kick and slows down the whole attack.

Would be no good at Marvel likes overhead conditions to help him swing the ball.

Reckon he would be ones of those players who would not be as good outside of the Richmond struture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back