List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

It's very unlucky for a player of his capability to be delised, but it's a logical call considering our list. There's no need for Webster, Roberton, McKenzie and Savage to be on our list as depth options. Savage is arguably the closest to selection out of any of them, but he's also the only uncontracted one. Considering the cuts to lists, and our abundance of half back flanker depth, it's not that surprising. Hopefully he gets another crack.

It's very unlucky for a player of his capability to be delised, but it's a logical call considering our list. There's no need for Webster, Roberton, McKenzie and Savage to be on our list as depth options. Savage is arguably the closest to selection out of any of them, but he's also the only uncontracted one. Considering the cuts to lists, and our abundance of half back flanker depth, it's not that surprising. Hopefully he gets another crack.
Gws seem to be keen.

Wow. How far have we come for players like Sav to be superfluous to needs.

Bittersweet. For us to delist these guys reflects that we are on the up, but on the flipside these are the same guys that helped get us here.

2020 has been a shocker. Hopefully the guys who have ended their journey with us can get another chance.

A bit sad to see Savage go. Easily the most deflating delisting yet for me. Thought he still had something to offer at AFL level and he's been such a good contributor to the club for years thats it's always sad to see those players careers come to an end.

Hopefully GWS give him another chance because he would be a great player for them.

Rock and hard place to be stuck between nostalgia for the players and ruthless professionalism.

Of all the cuts, Savage by far the hardest for me to swallow after 7 years.
Really hope he gets another go, be it at the Giants, North or anywhere else. Maybe Hawks take him back after losing Smith?

Thanks for your time at the Saints, Sav.

BLokes of his experience being delisted shows how little other Clubs rate a lot the players we got during the Watters/Cho era. Will pick them up as DFA'a but no interested in a trade.
All clubs are going through the list reductions. In better years he would either still be with us or likely finding a home without much ease, but when you have to literally squeeze out another 3 players from the norm its going to make it exceptionally hard. Also, clubs know this and are likely waiting for DFA to really get additional old players.

Great servant for our club in a very challenging period

I’m saddened by this news. He’s definitely better than others with contracts which is frustrating... He just played in our finals team and was solid in both games he played in 2020. Is as good as Ben Long, but we prioritised youth, which is fair enough. Did the club proud, good luck to Shane in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m saddened by this news. He’s definitely better than others with contracts which is frustrating... He just played in our finals team and was solid in both games he played in 2020. Is as good as Ben Long, but we prioritised youth, which is fair enough. Did the club proud, good luck to Shane in the future.
Just one of those things I guess. COVID has meant some players are just terribly unlucky. Shane is a AFL standard player and probably will go to GWS. It would be nice to see him reach 200 games after the career he has had.

Does anyone know much about this kid. Good size etc.

Reef McInnes
Oakleigh Chargers, NAB League / Surrey Park / Scotch College
Height: 193cm
Weight: 86kg
12/12/02

Tall midfielder/defender who reads the game exceptionally well, wins contested ball and is one touch at ground level. Very agile for his height and is versatile, all attributes he demonstrated as a bottom age player in the Oakleigh Chargers premiership win in 2019 playing 12 matches averaging 14.7 disposals. Prominent in Futures match for Team Brown with 14 disposals and 7 tackles. Appointed captain at Oakleigh and Scotch this year before shutdown. Finished off the year with an elite 7.78 seconds for 20 metres at the NAB AFL Combine in Melbourne. Eligible under Next Generation Academy rules for Collingwood with his mother Melody born in the Philippines.

Reef McInnes
12/12/02

Tall midfielder/defender who reads the game exceptionally well, wins contested ball and is one touch at ground level. Very agile for his height and is versatile, all attributes he demonstrated as a bottom age player in the Oakleigh Chargers premiership win in 2019 playing 12 matches averaging 14.7 disposals. Prominent in Futures match for Team Brown with 14 disposals and 7 tackles. Appointed captain at Oakleigh and Scotch this year before shutdown. Finished off the year with an elite 7.78 seconds for 20 metres at the NAB AFL Combine in Melbourne. Eligible under Next Generation Academy rules for Collingwood with his mother Melody born in the Philippines.
Not much, but he's a Filth NGA so you can forget about the kent.

Sav's been a good soldier but I think he knew his time was up with the Saints.

Once a player drops out of your best say 25 players what would you rather the club do ?

Keep them running around in the VFL on reasonable coin knowing full well they'll only get a game if injuries hit. Or fill the magoos up with young talent and develop the next wave of senior players ?

It's a balancing act all clubs go through especially those wanting to play finals and looking to secure long term success. I think that describes us now.

Some tough calls have been made no doubt but it's a sign of the new professionalism that has been brought into the club.

From the players point of view someone like Sav might get another gig elsewhere. Surely that's better then running around in the VFL.

Brutal ! - looks like we are no longer the likeable battlers from Moorabbin - it seems we are now focused and committed to success - the feel good stories like Marsh and Parker appear to mean little with the new direction - and whilst I’m 100% for that I am kinda feeling a bit nostalgic for the battling saints and their quirkiness

This sounds weird, and perhaps it’s a coping mechanism from a lifetime of supporting a losing club, but I have always worn the battling, quirky saints as a badge of honour and kind of built it up as my ‘football identity’ amongst my football supporting mates. Feels a little odd to be competent both on and off the field. I’ve probably jinxed it now!

Even the 04 -10 period the list was super talented but the administration was incompetent. Any other club would have won 2 flags in that time.

Last edited:

Reef McInnes
12/12/02

Yeah looks a good player but Collingwood bound.

A shame to see the end of Savage’s career at the Saints . I really thought they were going to keep him as he seemed the most likely fill in player in any of our smaller backs get injured. He has played some great games over his time and I hope he does get picked up by another club and he makes it to 200 games as he deserves that .

So now our back up defenders are Webster , Robbo and DMac and I suppose you could include Geary too . Like all clubs there are tough decisions being made and you can’t blame the Saints for making these cuts . The problem is that we don’t have the duds that we used to have just going back a couple years . People are going to have to earn their spots which is as it should be .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've been a bit deflated with the last 4 delistings, and though Sav has been a real trooper for us in bad times l feel more for Marsh and Parker as the real hard luck stories this year.

I guess the thing is that so far as 2021 goes they were going to be strictly depth players, of which we have quite a few, and to my mind they didn't necessarily show enough scope to say they could meaningfully impact our season.

I would have seen Dmac and Joyce go first, but it's just the luck of the draw in these strange times.
Next year l fully expect to part with Joyce, Gears and Robbo, and possibly Dmac if conditions allow.
There'll be others too.

Since the start of the off season, both Lethers and Gags have been signaling investment in the draft, and with an unprecedented number of DFAs, the club is right to churn the list hard and take a punt on some young players that might offer greater progression than those we've had on the list for 2 or more years.

It's about timing. If we are to set up for a decade at the top then we must get some more kids in now to push out the likes of Seb and Hill in a few years time.
We don't have high draft picks, so we can only go for numbers, and this is the draft for that, as is 2021.

Strategically wise, Bytel, Byrnes, Clav, Connolly and any newly acquired youth are far far far more important than those let go, and they all need games and resources invested.
It's no good holding on to guys at 24/25yo who still have question marks over them when half our best 22 is younger than that.

Our remaining depth players (2 excepted) are indisputably AFL quality, and we have plenty enough of them even after 11 are now gone.

I'd hate to have Gags' job this time of year, but I'm grateful we've got him, and that he's prepared to more ruthless than l would be.

Premierships don't come easy, and apparently it's extra hard if you're Stkilda.
But right now is where it's won or lost, and our admin is going hard, exactly as they should.

I can only wish good luck to all the guys who haven't made the cut in this crappy year. Some will surely get another gig.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back