List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't say much for Libba's selections that after a couple of years most are scrap-heaped. Probably more that we have a legacy of long term high value contracts for guys that were best 22 but are now depth pushing out developing players.
Keep a close eye on his selections over the next 12 to 24 months.

Does make you wonder about the rumour that lethers over ruled him to select max king

Don't do well in the AA teams but the Saints are well represented in the Best 22 Delisted Free Agents team

View attachment 1016799

No Wylie Buzza?!?!

I reckon when Geary was D-Mac's age we were all begging for him to be delisted every season too. There's a lot of Geary about D-Mac in his hardness, game style and average disposal. Geary massively improved on the latter, seemingly over one off season. I'm hoping D-Mac does the same as he's got 1-2 years to prove himself.

Gutted for Sav but now there's less competition for Webster to make the best 22, especially if Clark gets more midfield time and Long receives his AFL mandated 4-6 games of suspension a season.

It doesn't say much for Libba's selections that after a couple of years most are scrap-heaped. Probably more that we have a legacy of long term high value contracts for guys that were best 22 but are now depth pushing out developing players.
Reaching a bit there. Everyone who was delisted this year was a late pick to be begin with so their likelihood of staying on a list beyond 2-3 years is small to begin with.

And one year of three players - Roberton who had an unforeseen heart complication just after signing a long term deal after making the AA squad that no one could have predicted wouldnt be playing regular senior football when he signed it, Dunstan who was a top 10 in the bnf finisher last year so would have warranted his 2 year on around average pay contract, and Webster who has clear best 22 when he signed his deal, which is likely on about league average as well - doesnt make us have a legacy of handing out long term, high value contracts. Especially when it has been injury that forced all 3 of them out of the best 22-25 conversation and without the injuries, Dunstan and Webster would have likely played a games this year.

McKenzie's contract length is a different conversation but he wouldnt be on a big money. Would not even be on league average so wouldn't fit in under this supposed legacy of long term, big money deals you have suggested.

Does make you wonder about the rumour that lethers over ruled him to select max king
Yes, because our great draft hand last year suggests we should have picked up an AFL Hall of Famer and a couple of 200 game players so them being delisted in the next year or two would be a huge shock and a waste of such value picks. :rolleyes:

I can't tell what angle you guys are talking here.
I still think taking Hind, Young, Parker, Marsh and was a master stroke.

How many games did we get from them for what picks?
The fact they played at all tells you it was a good and necessary move that helped pick us up off the canvas.

I can't tell what angle you guys are talking here.
I still think taking Hind, Young, Parker, Marsh and was a master stroke.

How many games did we get from them for what picks?
The fact they played at all tells you it was a good and necessary move that helped pick us up off the canvas.
Interim moves with the hope one of the three may go on. Well Hind has.
Ryder, McKernan and Frawley are also interim.
Wilkie, Paton, Bytel, Byrnes are and will be great moneyball selections.

I reckon when Geary was D-Mac's age we were all begging for him to be delisted every season too. There's a lot of Geary about D-Mac in his hardness, game style and average disposal. Geary massively improved on the latter, seemingly over one off season. I'm hoping D-Mac does the same as he's got 1-2 years to prove himself.

Gutted for Sav but now there's less competition for Webster to make the best 22, especially if Clark gets more midfield time and Long receives his AFL mandated 4-6 games of suspension a season.

Daniel is 25.
When Geary was his age , he had played 100 games. Whilst people here might have wanted him gone, due to some suspect disposal, he was always a coaches favourite through 4 coaches now.
McKenzie 2019 played 15 games for 163 disposals.
Geary 2019 , aged 20 played 15 games for 254 disposals.
Recently we have moved Geary forward and we were pretty happy with his impact.
Previously we have moved McKenzie forward....he was crap.
Geary always had elite endurance, and was good at laying a strong tackle.

McKenzie's strong points are listed below.
Hard at the ball.

A shame to see the end of Savage’s career at the Saints . I really thought they were going to keep him as he seemed the most likely fill in player in any of our smaller backs get injured. He has played some great games over his time and I hope he does get picked up by another club and he makes it to 200 games as he deserves that .

So now our back up defenders are Webster , Robbo and DMac and I suppose you could include Geary too . Like all clubs there are tough decisions being made and you can’t blame the Saints for making these cuts . The problem is that we don’t have the duds that we used to have just going back a couple years . People are going to have to earn their spots which is as it should be .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon Sav’s delisting shows that they rate Leo Connolly very highly.

Maybe they see him as the next cab off the rank with his elite kicking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interim moves with the hope one of the three may go on. Well Hind has.
Ryder, McKernan and Frawley are also interim.
Wilkie, Paton, Bytel, Byrnes are and will be great moneyball selections.
Exactly Joff.
With a full renovation of the list under way, these are the props that held the roof up for 2 years.
But the job is done now, and their time is up.

I don’t see the comparison really. Dmac has never cemented his spot in the side really, whereas gears was getting plenty of games early days when we were playing in grand finals, playing forward/tagging and down back. Gears also broke his leg when he was about 21-22 and missed a season. McKenzie on the other hand has had ample time and opportunity to cement a spot somewhere but hasn’t. next year he’ll have been on the list for 7 years and hasn’t even played 50 games.

I hope he can turn it around, cos he has good work ethic and has some good athletic attributes. But I just don’t see it happening now with how our team is looking.

Gags on Savage's delisting -

“Shane was a much-loved member of our club and we’re very sorry to see him go,” Head of List Management James Gallagher said.

“Unfortunately with the reduction in list sizes and the positional make-up of our current list, we’ve made the very difficult call not to offer Shane another contract next year.

“His dedication and professionalism has been an asset to this club and we hope this isn’t the end of his footy career.

Our half back abundance seems to have been a big reason why we couldn't offer him another year.

I hope Leo is good , I know nothing about him but the fact that they are keeping him above the others that they delisted is promised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly Joff.
With a full renovation of the list under way, these are the props that held the roof up for 2 years.
But the job is done now, and their time is up.
Spot on.
Some players are picked up for only the short team but that doesn't mean their selections were bad or a waste of time.

Daniel is 25.
When Geary was his age , he had played 100 games. Whilst people here might have wanted him gone, due to some suspect disposal, he was always a coaches favourite through 4 coaches now.
McKenzie 2019 played 15 games for 163 disposals.
Geary 2019 , aged 20 played 15 games for 254 disposals.
Recently we have moved Geary forward and we were pretty happy with his impact.
Previously we have moved McKenzie forward....he was crap.
Geary always had elite endurance, and was good at laying a strong tackle.

McKenzie's strong points are listed below.
Hard at the ball.

I think McKenzie's marking is also a strong point. He's an excellent overhead mark for his size and has a pretty good leap.

But yeah he's nowhere near it when it comes to composure with the ball, decision making and disposal.

I don't think you can draw that conclusion W2L.
Leo, Jweb, Dmac are all contracted and Gears was extended.

Stew rates Leo and Libba did too, so that's a good start, but I'd bet that the club would've preferred delist Jweb and Dmac if given a choice.

Savage is really the only player who has gone that would be close to actually making the best 22.

If getting rid of player permeant Sandy players ruins the fabric of our club, then we were a weak and fragile group that was going to come crumbling down straight away anyway.

They aren't video game avatars. They are people who are maturing, developing and aging.
22 year old Tom Phillips is probably going to be better in 3 years time. At his age, Clinton Jones had never played an AFL game.
25 year old Daniel McKenzie is probably what he is.
Savage is about to turn 30, he might be fit another 5 years but the stats probably say 1 or 2 .
Webster at 27 is younger but my gut says he won't be as durable in his 30's as savage. ( He's never been durable ).
24 year old parker has only had one full pre-season, but his two 2020 games were not up to his 2019 standards, could be a number of reasons for that.
25 year old marsh is not a proper key defender. But there is a good chance he'll be a better defender than Frawley as soon as 2022. Jason Blake was never a key defender either, until he was.

I hope Leo is good , I know nothing about him but the fact that they are keeping him above the others that they delisted is promised.

Training and scratch match reports suggested he’s in the top couple of kicks at the club... on both his left & his right.

He’s also 19 so has time on his side and is contracted for 2021.

I get the comparison in terms of the criticism they cop, but McKenzie is coming from a mile back. Geary after six seasons had played 93 games, including 41 over the past two seasons and despite a lack of rebound, was a reliable lockdown defender established in our best team. McKenzie has only played 49 in six years, is behind a bunch of other defenders and isn't a proven lockdown player.

Stew rates Leo and Libba did too, so that's a good start, but I'd bet that the club would've preferred delist Jweb and Dmac if given a choice.

I was going off Gags comment about being well set across half back & reports on how well Connolly is tracking.

Personally I’m keeping Jweb every day of the week over Sav.

Dmac is another story.

They drafted him last year, he'd be on the standard 2 year contract and they don't know s**t, he hasn't even played senior state league footy yet.

Jweb Dmac & Dunstan all very lucky they are contracted
All 3 would have been moved on other wise

There might be an element of that and they see some of the younger group with potential there but I think its more a case of the list being horribly oversized across the HBF.

The list reduction made it even more lopsided.

The solidification of coffield, Clark and long meant that the existing HBF were kind of done. Factor in that we couldn't move the contracted players in Webster, roberton and McKenzie and it means we have far too much depth there.

Savage was very good. Age got him. Ratten is trying to build the backline that will be with him for the next 5 years plus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back