List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interesting

Would have been nice to know that earlier in this process.
Reckon a few players may have been a shot at moving to the rookie list if it was that easy.

hes even missing the point even further .... we are not saying on draft night Hugh Goddard was touted a top 3 pick .... we are saying in his pre draft years (for those playing at home 2012 and 2013) he was highly rated and seen as a potential top 3 prospect.. come 2014 he fell away a fair bit and a host of players over took him.... something that happens most years with players drifting up and down the orders hence the actual point of where this all started that in the space of one year a player can go from top prospect to maybe prospect hence this year with no real under18's comp to work off the picks are going to be more hit and miss than previous years
Agree this year is not going tell us anything about the talent of any recruiter. Limited vision this year, most of their research is based on happenings from over a year ago and as you said A LOT can change in that time.

Agree this year is not going tell us anything about the talent of any recruiter. Limited vision this year, most of their research is based on happenings from over a year ago and as you said A LOT can change in that time.

Disagree with this. If anything, this is a year that will separate the men from the boys at the recruiter table. Stout recruitment is a lot more than watching some tape in a single year.

From us at least, would the announcement coming earlier have saved any of our current delistees? I don't really think so personally. I think it'll just be an opportunity for us to be more flexible with the list we already have, and let us pick up additional DFAs before the draft period is entirely over, or whether we use some or all of 4th rounders.

Disagree with this. If anything, this is a year that will separate the men from the boys at the recruiter table. Stout recruitment is a lot more than watching some tape in a single year.
Not really, the single year you talk about is the most important one. A lot changes in 12 months especially with kids so young. Most of the vision they will have to go off is over a year old - not a good starting point.

I don't know why some want to hold this kind of odd "no excuses" view. Literally everything points to this draft being more hit and miss than most.

From us at least, would the announcement coming earlier have saved any of our current delistees? I don't really think so personally. I think it'll just be an opportunity for us to be more flexible with the list we already have, and let us pick up additional DFAs before the draft period is entirely over, or whether we use some or all of 4th rounders.
Yep, most likely. I think they’ve decided the coverage that we wanted by position and now it’s just clear (to our list mgmt at least) the picks we can take.

Club would've known

Maybe, a contracted player like McKenzie may have been moved onto the rookie list which may have spared one of them.

Not really, the single year you talk about is the most important one. A lot changes in 12 months especially with kids so young. Most of the vision they will have to go off is over a year old - not a good starting point.

I don't know why some want to hold this kind of odd "no excuses" view. Literally everything points to this draft being more hit and miss than most.

Hopefully that doesn't men they get jacked up on the testing results and recruit a whole bunch of elite athletes who interview well and blitz the psychometric crap.

Would have been nice to know that earlier in this process.
Reckon a few players may have been a shot at moving to the rookie list if it was that easy.

Exactly my thoughts.
The mind boggles at how the AFL have handled this.
Granted it was always going to be challenging to make decisions on list sizes due to this COVID year, but to expect clubs to make list decisions at the time of trading without having the info was akin to expecting them to work blindfolded.

Here’s just another decision on the run with so many players already having been delisted. This whole thing has been a debacle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully that doesn't men they get jacked up on the testing results and recruit a whole bunch of elite athletes who interview well and blitz the psychometric crap.
I reckon that's how the game is these days unfortunately. Athletes over footballers.

I didn't know 80k for rookies was outside the cap. I wonder if its better for the TPP to keep Wilkie there?

Unless the AFL change this rule it’s too risky:

Under the little-known AFL rule, if a player is offered a third year on the rookie list he can reject it and automatically become a free agent and move to his club of choice.

FWIW North ended up trading a junk pick for Lachie Young but didn’t need to if they wanted to properly test the rule out.

EDIT - I’m assuming Wilkie was on the rookie list this year and last.

I'm not in a 'no excuses' camp, but it would be just as odd to completely dismiss the ability to still assess talent. Is it more difficult than a normal year - of course it is. It will be more of a crapshoot for most recruiters simply because they are bog average at their job - see Dildo, but I do think this scenario will benefit the handful of top recruiters who will be able to get bargains/value on the talent they can identify.

I'm not in a 'no excuses' camp, but it would be just as odd to completely dismiss the ability to still assess talent. Is it more difficult than a normal year - of course it is. It will be more of a crapshoot for most recruiters simply because they are bog average at their job - see Dildo, but I do think this scenario will benefit the handful of top recruiters who will be able to get bargains/value on the talent they can identify.

spot on, a lot of these so called recruiters simply rely on having high end picks. take SOS at GWS for example. he basically had his job done for him by gubby allen and co delivering him draft concessions and then ensuring they lasted forever by churning the talent.

liam ryan is a good case in point on how the system still has a LOOONNNGGG way to go.

priddis is another example. always had the talent.

i'd be awesome if each club released their draft board after the draft had finished. would allow fans to know how accurate the recruitment is, taking out environmental factors like each clubs footy program and injury.

Last edited:
So what are you actually disagreeing with then? I didn't completely dismiss anything and you said it will be more difficult yourself. Concessions will be made this year regardless, it's an extraordinary year and recruiters all over the country don't have much to go on in 2020 for players form or any kind of player development over the last 12 months. This is a fact.

Just seems like another easy way to have a dig at the club if we don't draft the best kids. There is no "separating the boys from the men", there is no "this year will tell us what they are really made of". There is little to no recent form guide. They have to hope what they saw over 12 months ago still holds true today, along with the conversations they've had with these kids in the lead up to the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back