List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Frawley will be useful if needed , but I'm sure he will not want to be playing seconds so it will be interesting what happens.
Has anyone any thoughts on who we are looking at in the draft - key position player , mid or ruck
We need an extra ruckman for sure, whether it's from the draft or state league's. Tom Highmore 22y.o, (KB, South Adelaide), may be in our thought's. Jake Bowey might be worth taking at our first pick. He's one who should be there at that stage. He started out being 40's,50's pick. A terrific future's game has brought him up the order into the 30's. Accumulator, Good Skills, Quick, Reads the play well. Son of Brett Bowey.

Last edited:
How can that be possible?

Surely all the contract details are lodged when the trade goes through.

What leverage is left now to change any of the details.
I hope the dogs just go well * it have him back

Would we take him at the right price , if the Dogs drop him.
Is that possible? The trade was agreed to and signed off. The financial details between the clubs would be separate and not part of the official trade. If they don’t come to an agreement I think the Pies will pay whatever they thought they’d agree to and the Dogs would be left to cover the rest.

Is that possible? The trade was agreed to and signed off. The financial details between the clubs would be separate and not part of the official trade. If they don’t come to an agreement I think the Pies will pay whatever they thought they’d agree to and the Dogs would be left to cover the rest.
By the looks they change the rules as they go - the trade of Treloar was all based on how cheap the Dogs would get him for and it not being signed off on at the trade table is just a joke.
No way would the Dogs want to pay 750k one year and then 950k the next 5 years it would blow there salary cap.
- most people thought the deal was 700k over of 5years at the maximum and the Pies paying 250 a year.

Would we take him at the right price , if the Dogs drop him.
The issue is there is no right price, Bulldogs thought they had one but surprise. Collingwood played them on a break.

No way AFL can turn around and make Trealoar return to Collingwood so Bulldogs will end up paying more than they wanted and the AFL will continue to make up rules on the run to facilitate the fact.

Sounds interesting, but "a year or so"? Most rucks take a lot longer than that. Max Gawn can play a bit, it was his 7th year on the list before he played more than 13 games. Look at Tim English still getting monstered regularly in his fourth year.

Thinking the last ruck to come in and be relatively dominant early would have been 20y.o. Sandilands?

Thinking the last ruck to come in and be relatively dominant early would have been 20y.o. Sandilands?

Brodie Grundy?

“The advice from the AFL is to just back-end contracts to get under the cap. Fine. We will have 18 Collingwoods next year with everyone forced to push the problem down the road,” said one list manager who wanted to remain anonymous.

“We have worked for years to get our cap under control and keep it under control – as have other clubs – and the AFL advice is to blow it up again.

“We traded in good faith for draft picks that we may not be able to use because they announced these cuts after the trade period and the reality is we may not be able to bring in as many players.”

Wonder which List manager this was

Brodie Grundy?

Fair call, though did only play 7 games in season 1 - I'll grant you his 20yo season was close to Sandilands though.

I need to do a better trawl through the stats and have a look at how frequently a young ruck has emerged particularly early in recent times. I do suspect it'd be 1-2 per decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder which List manager this was
At least clubs will not be able to pay these players unrealistic salaries to entice players to move - Carlton paying Williams 900k a year is to me way overs for a player that is really no game changer , the same with Saad - I will be amazed how they keep in the salary cap having guys like Cripps , Walsh , Charlie Curnrow , McKay , Weitering , Martin and Carlton don't have as many stars as some times.
The Dogs having so many highly rated midfielders surely will feel the heat especially paying a guy like Bruce on a long term contract on 700k they say.
Hopefully having a professional accountant as our head of recruitment will have our squad under control.
These managers will be like the players they will have to cut there fees and hopefully stop screwing clubs with these unreal player contracts.

Fair call, though did only play 7 games in season 1 - I'll grant you his 20yo season was close to Sandilands though.

I need to do a better trawl through the stats and have a look at how frequently a young ruck has emerged particularly early in recent times. I do suspect it'd be 1-2 per decade.

I feel like Nicnat came on pretty quick.

I feel like Nicnat came on pretty quick.

Yep ... second season onwards for sure.

What I'm seeing as I dig deeper, is the young rucks who came on quickly, generally did so as understudy to an experienced ruck before emerging as the Alpha-dog

Grundy had Jolly
NicNat had Cox
Sandi had Troy Simmonds (who had in turn understudied to Jeff White at Melbourne)

Going to be interesting to see our next move ...

At least clubs will not be able to pay these players unrealistic salaries to entice players to move - Carlton paying Williams 900k a year is to me way overs for a player that is really no game changer , the same with Saad - I will be amazed how they keep in the salary cap having guys like Cripps , Walsh , Charlie Curnrow , McKay , Weitering , Martin and Carlton don't have as many stars as some times.
The Dogs having so many highly rated midfielders surely will feel the heat especially paying a guy like Bruce on a long term contract on 700k they say.
Hopefully having a professional accountant as our head of recruitment will have our squad under control.
These managers will be like the players they will have to cut there fees and hopefully stop screwing clubs with these unreal player contracts.
I have the feeling that we'll look back at 2020 as the year that made the Saints.

Just lucky timing mind you, but good management has made us flexible and strong at the right moment.

I'm sure Lonie and Jake would be displeased with their contracts, and Steele took significant unders, but we'll scrap through ok.

Next year JB, Dunny, Robbo, Ross are OOC so we'll pull back some serious money. Over a Million easily.

I have the feeling that we'll look back at 2020 as the year that made the Saints.

Just lucky timing mind you, but good management has made us flexible and strong at the right moment.

I'm sure Lonie and Jake would be displeased with their contracts, and Steele took significant unders, but we'll scrap through ok.

Next year JB, Dunny, Robbo, Ross are OOC so we'll pull back some serious money. Over a Million easily.
They might be displeased, but noone else wanted them. If they tmwant more years or $$$ they obviously have to work harder.

This thread crashed as fast as the second wave in Melbourne!

Legit though, looks like we're pretty much done and it's hard to get excited about the draft when we haven't even seen the kids play.

When's next year start?
A friend of mine knows Greg Williams' daughter and she is saying next year might start Jan 1.
Bookmark it *ITK*

A friend of mine knows Greg Williams' daughter and she is saying next year might start Jan 1.
Bookmark it *ITK*

Better wait for the official announcement from Mr Andrews and Mr Sutton before you set that bookmark in stone ... apparently 2021 cannot begin until we've had at least 62 days of no community transmission, or he'll put New Years Day into lockdown with the cancelled fireworks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back