List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Not particularly disagreeing with this, but this year Sav was fit the whole time and couldn't displace Longy, so l don't see him in any danger of losing his spot.

I think he's rated higher internally than in here, and l think that's because of his off the ball work and the inferred pressure he brings that doesn't appear on the stats sheet.

He also brings good skills and a big POD, so IMO a stats based assessment on his value is in fact missing the point almost entirely.

I think Savage was type cast from the Richo era going for long clearing kicks. His last game for us he showed he could change it up. Long has a bit of scope for rapid improvement and Savage was a know quantity. His hardness is the stuff coaches love and I can definitely see why they want him in the side. He's not young though and another just okay year might see him pushed out. If Hunter goes into the midfield it opens a spot up though so might keep him safe as well.

Lethlean said on 3aw post trade period that Webster was told 3-4 times this year that he was going to come back into the side then got a knock or a niggle at training.

And out of everyone who played in defence, Long or Paton would appear the most vulnerable to be the player Webster was going to replace. And with Paton winning a lot of his defensive match-ups, Long's was probably more vulnerable week-to-week than we realised.

Yeah, Paton is nearly first picked to me. He's so consistent that he's hard to push aside. Him and Wilkie just seem like the bedrock of our defence. Nothing flashy just solid stable pieces of armoury. They remind me of Jason Blake, no-one would know who they were outside St Kilda but you'd pick them for any game they were available for.

Yeah, Paton is nearly first picked to me. He's so consistent that he's hard to push aside. Him and Wilkie just seem like the bedrock of our defence. Nothing flashy just solid stable pieces of armoury. They remind me of Jason Blake, no-one would know who they were outside St Kilda but you'd pick them for any game they were available for.
And he is more versatile than just being a lock down player. Had multiple games where he led the side for intercepts and then the next week would be defensively great against a top small forward.

A very solid and reliable player that every club needs.

And he is more versatile than just being a lock down player. Had multiple games where he led the side for intercepts and then the next week would be defensively great against a top small forward.

A very solid and reliable player that every club needs.
Reckon there is a place for both Webster and Long if we see Clark move into the midfield and Gears is in only as a Paton replacement or as much as I dont like it a defensive fwd.
Long does have the capacity to do stints in the middle and fwd.

Most teams are running with 7 genuine defenders and an 8th player who can go back there. Clark might be that option.
Could also depend on what Seb's role this year is I suppose.

I think Savage was type cast from the Richo era going for long clearing kicks. His last game for us he showed he could change it up. Long has a bit of scope for rapid improvement and Savage was a know quantity. His hardness is the stuff coaches love and I can definitely see why they want him in the side. He's not young though and another just okay year might see him pushed out. If Hunter goes into the midfield it opens a spot up though so might keep him safe as well.
As well as Sav played in his few games he still persisted bombing it to no one.

At the end of the day l don't think it matters. Sav was a luxury we didn't need this year, and we could probably relist him if needed anyway.
Gears, Robbo and Jimmy are cooked and over the course of the year Highmore will slip into Hunter's spot at HB.

That will be our setup for a good while as there should be good growth from our entire back line given their age.

I like to believe that Longy will grow as the back line synergy improves.
His best use is as a loose man, but facilitating that is dependent on the others.

It won't take long to happen with most of them sniffing around the 50 game mark now.
Still another 2-3 years of solid growth is tantalizing AF.

Half of them will probably end up AFL Hall of Famers too.

They might not have ever gone back-to-back but they were such an impressive team.

Plus, I think they were completing against better teams at the end of their dynasty too - Us in 09-10 and Collingwood 10-11 were two of the best sides this millennium. Really an incredible period of football.
What a difference 5 or so minutes can make..
Never forget. If we'd managed to outscore the Cats and Magpies in the last five minutes of the 2009 and 2010 GF's, we would have won 2 consecutive flags!
Geelong would have had 2 (2007 and 2011) and Collingwood 0 premierships during that 4 or 5 year period.

Oh well, after a decade or so.
I will officially stop grieving from midnight tonight!

What a difference 5 or so minutes can make..
Never forget. If we'd managed to outscore the Cats and Magpies in the last five minutes of the 2009 and 2010 GF's, we would have won 2 consecutive flags!
Geelong would have had 2 (2007 and 2011) and Collingwood 0 premierships during that 4 or 5 year period.

Oh well, after a decade or so.
I will officially stop grieving from midnight tonight!

I'm still not over the trauma of '09 '10

I'm still not over the trauma of '09 '10
Dear Verdun,

Seriously. I think the trauma of personal / family events related to Covid 19 has helped enable me to finally put '09 and '10 into some perspective. It's only footy.

Still a bit gutted but no real trauma.

May the next few years or decade finally bring us some ultimate football joy!
Regardless we will enjoy the journey anyway. We have an exciting, emerging list and play with flair and daring.

Happy New Year to you and all saints supporters!

Kind regards, Leigh

Dear Verdun,

Seriously. I think the trauma of personal / family events related to Covid 19 has helped enable me to finally put '09 and '10 into some perspective. It's only footy.

Still a bit gutted but no real trauma.

May the next few years or decade finally bring us some ultimate football joy!
Regardless we will enjoy the journey anyway. We have an exciting, emerging list and play with flair and daring.

Happy New Year to you and all saints supporters!

Kind regards, Leigh

Mate - great post very well said and I can relate. Can't like your post enough.

Those losses have given me perspective - will take back the trauma bit.

This year my mother died in May, this was followed by my 12 year olds son best mate also passing away followed by two other deaths (my cousins partner and someone I went to school with suicide).

You are damn right this year has brought perspective on so many levels, this place and the Saints are a great outlet - the club are the ultimate underdogs, not rated by others but the list and the rest of the club is on the right track and worth supporting. I now try not to sweat the small stuff and enjoy what I can especially family, whisky and the Saints (not sure the order is right!)

The journey of the Saints is what it is about

once again well said Leigh and as you say Happy New Year to you and all Saints supporters

i soo very much want Long to become a player of note for us .. its no secret i was gutted when we called his name in the draft as i was almost certain of someone else being pick at that spot and as that other player becomes better and better each week it really kicks in the gut ... that said i dont hate on Long in fact i cheer for him harder because i so badly want him to prove me wrong in saying he was the wrong choice ...

Long looked awesome form prior to missing games.

I wrote this during the season but don't discount how hard it was to come back into the senior side after a decent stint out of the game due to the lack lustre state of the state leagues. There was no way for players to get any decent football under their belt unless they were playing seniors.

Players looked to struggle with the pace of the game when they came back. You didn't have the option of getting them match fit in the VFL in competitive games.

Take ross for example. He missed games and it took him a while to build to some form. He was probably our best performed in the final vs richmond.

I guess what I am saying is dont write off any players. 2021 is a blank slate. Play well and they will get games and im sure there will be a player or two who surprise. Could be ross. Could be Webster. Could be long. Could even be Higgins or crouch.

Long looked awesome form prior to missing games.

I wrote this during the season but don't discount how hard it was to come back into the senior side after a decent stint out of the game due to the lack lustre state of the state leagues. There was no way for players to get any decent football under their belt unless they were playing seniors.

Players looked to struggle with the pace of the game when they came back. You didn't have the option of getting them match fit in the VFL in competitive games.

Take ross for example. He missed games and it took him a while to build to some form. He was probably our best performed in the final vs richmond.

I guess what I am saying is dont write off any players. 2021 is a blank slate. Play well and they will get games and im sure there will be a player or two who surprise. Could be ross. Could be Webster. Could be long. Could even be Higgins or crouch.
thats why i feel for Parker ... really bad luck for him to get his chance under these situations i mean if you look at the history of our game lesser players have been given more time to get going in the past ... just unfortunate timing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As well as Sav played in his few games he still persisted bombing it to no one.

At the end of the day l don't think it matters. Sav was a luxury we didn't need this year, and we could probably relist him if needed anyway.
Gears, Robbo and Jimmy are cooked and over the course of the year Highmore will slip into Hunter's spot at HB.

That will be our setup for a good while as there should be good growth from our entire back line given their age.

I like to believe that Longy will grow as the back line synergy improves.
His best use is as a loose man, but facilitating that is dependent on the others.

It won't take long to happen with most of them sniffing around the 50 game mark now.
Still another 2-3 years of solid growth is tantalizing AF.

We wont be relisting Sav. He's moved to Port Fairy and has signed with the local club

thats why i feel for Parker ... really bad luck for him to get his chance under these situations i mean if you look at the history of our game lesser players have been given more time to get going in the past ... just unfortunate timing
Couldnt agree more

We wont be relisting Sav. He's moved to Port Fairy and has signed with the local club

I'd prefer we relist Phillips and a mature age ruck.

Phillips wasnt great against the Hawks in his last game but before that he had 12 touches and a goal in a loss to the Dees and 16 touches and 2 goals in a game where Geelong spanked us.

Given both Billings and Hill had poor games playing as pure wingers through the year, I don't think that Phillips was at all out of his depth at the level. Given nobody else signed him I think we could put him down as a preseason rookie signing and know he can at least fill a spot on a wing/hff. He really feel like one of those kids that, if he can get to 50 games, will take a big leap forward into being a really solid AFL level player.

If only we had a 7 billion dollar project going on like arden Street, we could have kept him on, instead of being in insurmountable debt 😜😜🤣🤣🤣

Jokes aside, hod I'm going to miss Parker. Just loved that bloke 😔

Feel this belongs here more than the media thread

ST KILDA
Vacant list spots: 3

Train-on players: 0

Could former amateur league player Mitch Duval be an option for St Kilda? Picture: Keryn Stevens

Could former amateur league player Mitch Duval be an option for St Kilda? Picture: Keryn Stevens
The Saints have more list spots available than any club. With three selections, they have the option to potentially sign a player or two before the season then keep at least one pick for the mid-season draft. St Kilda, which is coming off a semi-final appearance, does not seem to have any glaring list weaknesses. But it may consider adding a tall backman after the departures of Logan Austin and Nathan Brown, or another pacy forward, now that Matthew Parker and Nick Hind are gone. If it sought a younger player, could mid-sized Tasmanian interceptor Sam Collins, who was overlooked in the draft last month, be a target? What about Northern Territorian medium forward Brodie Lake? Gold Coast had access to him via its Darwin zone but did not have secure him. Athletic and quick, Lake played for Central District in the SANFL last year. An experienced player or two could appeal given St Kilda’s push for a top-four spot in 2021. West Adelaide’s Mitch Duval, 23, warrants consideration after going from amateur football in 2019 to the draft combine last year. The 188cm backman took the fourth-most intercept marks in the SANFL in 2020.

Bob Keddie 1971

I was too young for that but my Hawks mate likes to remind me that at some point of that game the Hawks and Saints had one premiership each, since then the Hawks have won a premiership every 7 years or something like that after his personal "heroics". I irrationally hate Keddie and I don't know what he looks like. His daughter was an actress and when I found out the relationship I irrationally disliked her and any production she has ever been involved in as well.

Interesting piece I heard from Dermot on SEN, he claimed that players who win a premiership in their time in footy have better life outcomes throughout the rest of their life and the Hawks play on that as a motivator. I have always wondered what the psychology of following an unsuccessful club are, does it really build character or change your levels of general optimism etc. Saints fans are generally pretty upbeat and quite resilient from my small sample size of friends and come from all walks of life. It would be a fascinating study to track footy followers from different clubs and measure their levels of happiness etc. When your club is winning there is definitely a more positive general feeling for me and weekends can't come quick enough.

I'm still burnt by 1997.
I have never gotten over 1965, let alone the rest. I cried when we lost as I listened on the radio. And then later I saw vision of Big Carl crying and it set me off again. I was 9.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back