List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
So, had a dinner with the family last night for the first time in months. Had a few beers with the neices squeeze who works in player management. A few interesting things came out.
Higgins had agreed to be a saint months ago apparently. Crouch as well, the drug bust really got us over the line with ratten ringing him up saying that it was ok and that mistakes happen. Real father figure.

Billings was offered a huge contract by essendon, didnt even look at it apparently. Says he is staying at the saints long term. They will be working on a deal for an extension after the cap is sorted and has is under no illusions that it will be significantly less than last time, has no issues with that.

Dunstan was shopped around, but no one wanted to take his contract on. Same with webster. Both happy at the saints as well and are looking forward to smashing it next year. Ready know its an uphill battle and have been having their own starts to pre season already apparently.

Lonie was nearly at the dogs, then treloar happened. Unsure if he will sign the contract in front of him or look to be delisted. Carlton only had interest through PSD in him.

Also reckons Gags is the best in the business with list management, surprised as how little he has been in the role. Absolutely magnificent back house apparently.

The biggest one was not even about a player, it was about Lethlean. The AFL apparently approached him to head up a department in future planning. Told them a strict no, saints have given him a fresh start and he owes it to them to be here for the long haul. Incredibly happy in the environment here. Has been approached by numerous other clubs the last couple of years and they have been told the same thing.

We will have satan for a long time yet.
So you niece and sister are both dating player managers now?

Next year, would you please have dinner with your family more often and make sure to sit next to niece’s squeeze each time.

I'll try to 🤣🤣, I've told my neice that she needs my approval if she moves him on. They have been together a while now. He used to work in the AFL media department part time while doing player management at Uni, so has been around the clubs a bit. Told me a week out from trade about the Dunkley move, but I was banned for a week because I put a suns supporter back in his place on the Adelaide board, thought I was helping them 🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

So you niece and sister are both dating player managers now?

No my sister used to "date" an intern at a managers office. She met him through my niece.
Pretty sure he was full of wind, told me about Riley Colier-Dawkins but I'm not sure if there was anything in that.

That was a pretty short term thing. He was a bit of a w***er tbh...

Last edited:
Not really.
At first appearances, you might be correct.
But you could also argue Geelong got the best of the situation.
Got Cameron.
Gave up 3 x 1rdp in a compromised draft.
Got 1 x 1rdp and 3 x 2rdp in 2021. The two extra 2rdp are tied to Essendon and GWS.
And with the pundits tipping 2021 to be the better draft, those extra 2rdp are quite valuable, possibly just as valuable as two of the 2020 1rdp.
Before the last 48 hrs of the Trade Period,Geelong had Picks 13,15,20,36 &90.
After the trade period they are left with 51&96.
It might be a comprised Draft this season,but I think Steven Wels would prefer to have 3x1stRd picks this year than 2x2Rd picks,the following year, especially with what he is left with this year.
I expect Essendon and GWS to be competitive next season and not in bottom six.

So, had a dinner with the family last night for the first time in months. Had a few beers with the neices squeeze who works in player management. A few interesting things came out.
Higgins had agreed to be a saint months ago apparently. Crouch as well, the drug bust really got us over the line with ratten ringing him up saying that it was ok and that mistakes happen. Real father figure.

Billings was offered a huge contract by essendon, didnt even look at it apparently. Says he is staying at the saints long term. They will be working on a deal for an extension after the cap is sorted and has is under no illusions that it will be significantly less than last time, has no issues with that.

Dunstan was shopped around, but no one wanted to take his contract on. Same with webster. Both happy at the saints as well and are looking forward to smashing it next year. Ready know its an uphill battle and have been having their own starts to pre season already apparently.

Lonie was nearly at the dogs, then treloar happened. Unsure if he will sign the contract in front of him or look to be delisted. Carlton only had interest through PSD in him.

Also reckons Gags is the best in the business with list management, surprised as how little he has been in the role. Absolutely magnificent back house apparently.

The biggest one was not even about a player, it was about Lethlean. The AFL apparently approached him to head up a department in future planning. Told them a strict no, saints have given him a fresh start and he owes it to them to be here for the long haul. Incredibly happy in the environment here. Has been approached by numerous other clubs the last couple of years and they have been told the same thing.

Wow what an insightful post, loved every word.

Any info on Ben King?

Wow what an insightful post, loved every word.

Any info on Ben King?
Nah. There were alot of questions i really should have asked in hindsight haha. Ill ask next time I see them

How will? James Frawley be added, draft pick? or other?

Delisted FA i reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks heaps. This player management fella appears very knowledgeable and very well connected.

Did he by any chance mention a bloke who looks like a flamingo? 🤔

If that falls through & with us looking for a whipping boy, maybe we should recruit an old favourite, still going around as a 35yo. 😉😉

865D66FF-07B6-4E94-9D57-00114111FEFC.jpeg

If all this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it) then:
1. I don't want to hear anything negative about JB ever again. Even if he spuds it up for the rest of his career we should treat him like a lovable derpy dog. That's the sort of attitude we as lifelong diehards all - somewhat unreasonably - want these itinerant professionals to have. Awesome if he's really acting like that.

2. That's the best news of our entire off-season. Good trading, high quality players nominating us, good coaching etc are all symptoms. High quality executive leadership is the cause.

What a time to be a Saints supporter!

If all this is true (and I have no reason to doubt it) then:
1. I don't want to hear anything negative about JB ever again. Even if he spuds it up for the rest of his career we should treat him like a lovable derpy dog. That's the sort of attitude we as lifelong diehards all - somewhat unreasonably - want these itinerant professionals to have. Awesome if he's really acting like that.

2. That's the best news of our entire off-season. Good trading, high quality players nominating us, good coaching etc are all symptoms. High quality executive leadership is the cause.

What a time to be a Saints supporter!
Really....? Like not even a little bit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back