List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part IV

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
Geez, some of y'all seem way too attached to some foot soldiers. This isn't ruthlessness...all clubs need to do this exercise.
Yeah, tend to agree.

Of course I feel sorry for them as people but not one of the players delisted was a regular this year. From a purely footballing perspective, it’s no big loss - in fact, ideally we would have jettisoned DMac and Webster as well, with Dunstan borderline.

The fact that, even after such a deep cut to our list, we could still reel off more players that need to go, shows how poor of a shape our list was in not too long ago.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Great servant for our club in a very challenging period

Classy & professional from Sav there, as another window opens on Satan's St Kilda advent calendar.

Surely they're just clearing the way for GWS to pick him up, I hope so anyway. He's a great option for a rebuilding team short on culture.

He's got a particular set of skills that don't match our club presently but would go great in other clubs.

He came in with Spook as we loaded up for the Road to 2018 and leaves as we head along a less closed-ended journey. 2018 didn't work out for him or us, but that's not entirely his fault.

It was a decent gamble to make, though on hindsight, keeping McEvoy would have been the better move. Ah well.

Cheers Sav for all your hard work and for representing St Kilda with such integrity.

Does anyone know much about this kid. Good size etc.

Reef McInnes
Oakleigh Chargers, NAB League / Surrey Park / Scotch College
Height: 193cm
Weight: 86kg
12/12/02

Tall midfielder/defender who reads the game exceptionally well, wins contested ball and is one touch at ground level. Very agile for his height and is versatile, all attributes he demonstrated as a bottom age player in the Oakleigh Chargers premiership win in 2019 playing 12 matches averaging 14.7 disposals. Prominent in Futures match for Team Brown with 14 disposals and 7 tackles. Appointed captain at Oakleigh and Scotch this year before shutdown. Finished off the year with an elite 7.78 seconds for 20 metres at the NAB AFL Combine in Melbourne. Eligible under Next Generation Academy rules for Collingwood with his mother Melody born in the Philippines.
His Name is Reef.
Apart from being destined for the pies, Reef, Hunter and Steele is too many "days of our lives "names for one team.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've been a bit deflated with the last 4 delistings, and though Sav has been a real trooper for us in bad times l feel more for Marsh and Parker as the real hard luck stories this year.

I guess the thing is that so far as 2021 goes they were going to be strictly depth players, of which we have quite a few, and to my mind they didn't necessarily show enough scope to say they could meaningfully impact our season.

I would have seen Dmac and Joyce go first, but it's just the luck of the draw in these strange times.
Next year l fully expect to part with Joyce, Gears and Robbo, and possibly Dmac if conditions allow.
There'll be others too.

Since the start of the off season, both Lethers and Gags have been signaling investment in the draft, and with an unprecedented number of DFAs, the club is right to churn the list hard and take a punt on some young players that might offer greater progression than those we've had on the list for 2 or more years.

It's about timing. If we are to set up for a decade at the top then we must get some more kids in now to push out the likes of Seb and Hill in a few years time.
We don't have high draft picks, so we can only go for numbers, and this is the draft for that, as is 2021.

Strategically wise, Bytel, Byrnes, Clav, Connolly and any newly acquired youth are far far far more important than those let go, and they all need games and resources invested.
It's no good holding on to guys at 24/25yo who still have question marks over them when half our best 22 is younger than that.

Our remaining depth players (2 excepted) are indisputably AFL quality, and we have plenty enough of them even after 11 are now gone.

I'd hate to have Gags' job this time of year, but I'm grateful we've got him, and that he's prepared to more ruthless than l would be.

Premierships don't come easy, and apparently it's extra hard if you're Stkilda.
But right now is where it's won or lost, and our admin is going hard, exactly as they should.

I can only wish good luck to all the guys who haven't made the cut in this crappy year. Some will surely get another gig.

Great post dude 👍

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm hoping that Marsh, Parker, and Phillips get another shot on a list. Teams could do a lot worse than having those guys on their lists. They all have upside and potential to improve. I think Sav will find a home no worries, he's a good player. His 2019 was very respectable, and held his own in the two games this year. As mentioned he was there in a crappy period for our club. Wish him all the best.

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
I'm hoping that Marsh, Parker, and Phillips get another shot on a list. Teams could do a lot worse than having those guys on their lists. They all have upside and potential to improve. I think Sav will find a home no worries, he's a good player. His 2019 was very respectable, and held his own in the two games this year. As mentioned he was there in a crappy period for our club. Wish him all the best.
Nothing personal ,but i would 1 of these 4 ( savage inc) for 70 kg Lonie
Lonie is not fast , like other smalls, easily pushed aside
i understand got 1 yr

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
The emotion of being de-listed would be devastating to some players who have devoted there life to play AFL football.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
I think I said it a couple of months ago that there will be many good players cut simply because they are out of contract at the wrong time.

With reduced lists we simply can't carry multiple players who fill the same position. Looks like Sav wanted to stay but having Webster, DMac and Robbo still in contract made that almost impossible.

Yeah, tend to agree.

Of course I feel sorry for them as people but not one of the players delisted was a regular this year. From a purely footballing perspective, it’s no big loss - in fact, ideally we would have jettisoned DMac and Webster as well, with Dunstan borderline.

The fact that, even after such a deep cut to our list, we could still reel off more players that need to go, shows how poor of a shape our list was in not too long ago.
if D mac did not have a contract for 2 more eyars he also would have gone. not sure about Dunstan. give him another year. without injury under Ratts and see what happens. Otherwise, let him and ross go as restricted free agents and we pick up 2nd rounders for them (i hope)

I'd be surprised if Savage doesn't get picked up by another club, he still played well in the few games he got this year and could easily slot into weaker sides.

He looked in incredible condition too. He kept fitter than most in the hub and apparently was really good at keeping positive despite a year where he wasn't getting opportunity. He's seems a really good guy off field too, I hope he gets another go somewhere. He'd finish top 10 in a B&F at some clubs and is 100% pro.

Geez, some of y'all seem way too attached to some foot soldiers. This isn't ruthlessness...all clubs need to do this exercise.

The club has to back it up now though. They have shunted some good players and bought in Mc Kernan and Frawley, 2 old guys who haven't looked too special in a few years. It's not like we are moving them on for Nate Fyfe. I have this nagging fear we will do a Melbourne and at the same time have damaged a bit of the fabric that makes a club. Savage is one of the very few players left that were at the club 5 years ago. I think we have 9 all together and only three that are likely best 22 and some fans would have traded 2 of them out and the other was s**t this year. Foot soldiers with a link to the club replaced by journey-men soldiers of fortune. Hopefully we get the formula right no matter what it is.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
The club has to back it up now though. They have shunted some good players and bought in Mc Kernan and Frawley, 2 old guys who haven't looked too special in a few years. It's not like we are moving them on for Nate Fyfe. I have this nagging fear we will do a Melbourne and at the same time have damaged a bit of the fabric that makes a club. Savage is one of the very few players left that were at the club 5 years ago. I think we have 9 all together and only three that are likely best 22 and some fans would have traded 2 of them out and the other was sh*t this year. Foot soldiers with a link to the club replaced by journey-men soldiers of fortune. Hopefully we get the formula right no matter what it is.
Savage is really the only player who has gone that would be close to actually making the best 22.

If getting rid of player permeant Sandy players ruins the fabric of our club, then we were a weak and fragile group that was going to come crumbling down straight away anyway.

Savage is really the only player who has gone that would be close to actually making the best 22.

If getting rid of player permeant Sandy players ruins the fabric of our club, then we were a weak and fragile group that was going to come crumbling down straight away anyway.

The churn doesn't make for a cohesive environment though. Marsh and Hind were both energetic and set the culture and energy types. Hopefully we have it right regardless. I just don't want to step backwards after such a positive year. They have earned some trust but so did Melbourne after making a PF. It's a shame no-one wanted any of Dunstan, Webster or Robbo.

I would have kept Savage before Lonie TBH but maybe Sav's potential contract was worth a bit more?

Hope he lands at the Giants. They are probably going to play a lot more contested, stoppage footy with Preuss coming in. Sav's long bombs inside forward 50 will help them get repeat stoppages to let Greene, Coniglio etc go to work.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Don't do well in the AA teams but the Saints are well represented in the Best 22 Delisted Free Agents team

1606079175369.png

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
The churn doesn't make for a cohesive environment though. Marsh and Hind were both energetic and set the culture and energy types. Hopefully we have it right regardless. I just don't want to step backwards after such a positive year. They have earned some trust but so did Melbourne after making a PF. It's a shame no-one wanted any of Dunstan, Webster or Robbo.
I dont see the 'set the culture types' in them. Okay fringe players who were at the club for 2 years but never core parts of the best 22. And neither were contracted so nothing about letting them go could be seen as controversial.

I think it would be much more disruptive to the clubs culture and overall environment if we went Collingwood style on a contracted Dunstan, Webster and Robbo.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would have kept Savage before Lonie TBH but maybe Sav's potential contract was worth a bit more?

Hope he lands at the Giants. They are probably going to play a lot more contested, stoppage footy with Preuss coming in. Sav's long bombs inside forward 50 will help them get repeat stoppages to let Greene, Coniglio etc go to work.
I think we just have so many half backs that its harder to justify keeping him on as a depth player.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think these delistings are all that controversial. There's some unlucky players but they're all pretty logical calls considering the list cuts, the contract situations and our other depth options. If we do a Melbourne, I don't think it'll be because of these delistings.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nothing personal ,but i would 1 of these 4 ( savage inc) for 70 kg Lonie
Lonie is not fast , like other smalls, easily pushed aside
i understand got 1 yr
Drinking on a Sunday night Tiger?

Me too ;)
Tiz the season.

Just edit your post after you come round this morning, and kill that magic monkey if you find the little bastard.

I dont see the 'set the culture types' in them. Okay fringe players who were at the club for 2 years but never core parts of the best 22. And neither were contracted so nothing about letting them go could be seen as controversial.

I think it would be much more disruptive to the clubs culture and overall environment if we went Collingwood style on a contracted Dunstan, Webster and Robbo.

It doesn't say much for Libba's selections that after a couple of years most are scrap-heaped. Probably more that we have a legacy of long term high value contracts for guys that were best 22 but are now depth pushing out developing players.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is just my belief, but it's the culture within the best 22 that's important, and the group culture will flow from that.

I reckon hub life has accelerated our culture shift and things are lining up behind Steele to form a bright shiny spear whilst Gears moves out to lead the Zebs.

Players would be used to the comings and goings of list management and Sav is the only one of our best 27 or so to be let go.

I think they'll be fine. They are a stronger group now and fears of a Melbourne like scenario are unfounded.

Back